C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2.9L Whipple Twin Screw - SNEAK PEAK!

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2011, 09:22 AM
TorqHQ
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2.9L Whipple Twin Screw - SNEAK PEAK!

Being one of Whipple's largest dealers for Ford and GM Systems (primarily the 2010 Camaro) we wanted to share this sneak peak of the all new Corvette system currently in the final stages of testing. The system features Whipple's 2.9L compressor with a gear driven rear and efficient front entry system.

Compared to a 2.3L TVS Magnachrger on a 2010 Camaro LS3, the Whipple made 35rwhp/27rwtq MORE with lower inlet temperatures at the SAME boost level.

We are excited about this kit and happy to share the pictures. Due the taller height of the s/c case an aftermarket hood will be required. The shaft will be covered and quite a few items will be more detailed/finished similar to the Camaro kit (pictured just below on our customers car)

/Torq

Last edited by TorqHQ; 02-15-2011 at 09:36 AM.
Old 02-15-2011, 11:57 AM
eric04
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Old 02-15-2011, 12:27 PM
gunterwalker
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Cool.
Old 02-15-2011, 01:10 PM
BoosterClub
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Avoiding commenting on covering the shaft.
Old 02-15-2011, 01:25 PM
Silver99v6
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BoosterClub
Avoiding commenting on covering the shaft.
Always cover the shaft for protection when going under the bonnet.
Old 02-15-2011, 09:19 PM
CussCuss
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

intercooled?
Old 02-16-2011, 09:19 AM
TorqHQ
Racer

Originally Posted by CussCuss
intercooled?
Yes, this kit is cooled and on a LS3 Camaro provided lower inlet temps than a Magnacharger at the same boost level and made more power.
Old 02-16-2011, 12:56 PM
BgBoost1
Drifting

Interesting.....Whipple has a great blower design!!! I can't wait to see how it all plays out!
Old 02-17-2011, 12:48 AM
craftfox
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There is a local camaro that was done, and bone stock, with a tune, the car made 590 at the wheels.. this is a sick sick setup.
Old 02-17-2011, 11:36 AM
TorqHQ
Racer

Originally Posted by craftfox
There is a local camaro that was done, and bone stock, with a tune, the car made 590 at the wheels.. this is a sick sick setup.
I am assuming this is a dynojet and STD numbers because no way it was SAE with stock exhaust. We did one at 9psi, using the stock airbox (how the kit comes) and long tube headers and made 575rwhp on our Mustang Dyno, which is just over 600rwhp on a Dyno Jet SAE corrected WITH headers

Either way, INSANE power from these kits. They will be available in 3-4 weeks and we have the first few kits coming to us!!
Old 02-17-2011, 12:49 PM
DSteck
Safety Car

Received 83 Likes on 42 Posts
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by TorqHQ
I am assuming this is a dynojet and STD numbers because no way it was SAE with stock exhaust. We did one at 9psi, using the stock airbox (how the kit comes) and long tube headers and made 575rwhp on our Mustang Dyno, which is just over 600rwhp on a Dyno Jet SAE corrected WITH headers

Either way, INSANE power from these kits. They will be available in 3-4 weeks and we have the first few kits coming to us!!
A local guy here in St. Louis has a Whipple with the pulley that comes with the kit. He did a custom cam (223/231 .611/617 115+3), and already had headers and some aftermarket cold air. The car did 627rwhp/550 ft-lbs of torque STD with zero smoothing. Even corrected to SAE with smoothing on 5, it was still clear over 600whp at peak with a gut punching torque curve. Like every other LS engine, they freaking love fuel. I ended that car at 11:1 on pump 93. The car took back to back dyno pulls without excessive heat soak too. I was impressed.
Old 02-17-2011, 01:40 PM
TorqHQ
Racer

Originally Posted by DSteck
A local guy here in St. Louis has a Whipple with the pulley that comes with the kit. He did a custom cam (223/231 .611/617 115+3), and already had headers and some aftermarket cold air. The car did 627rwhp/550 ft-lbs of torque STD with zero smoothing. Even corrected to SAE with smoothing on 5, it was still clear over 600whp at peak with a gut punching torque curve. Like every other LS engine, they freaking love fuel. I ended that car at 11:1 on pump 93. The car took back to back dyno pulls without excessive heat soak too. I was impressed.
Not to side track the thread about the amazing blowers, but STD numbers are about 4% over SAE so this setup would be about 600-605RWHP SAE on a dynojet, which reads about 3-5% higher than a MD (depending on the setup)

Do you know what boost the engine was seeing? The pulley that comes with the blower is 9psi and an aftermarket cold air intake will add 1-1.5psi of boost but that camshaft should knock off about 1-2psi, so this would be right around 8.5-9psi.

11:1 AFR does not really mean much - what are you assuming is stoich? Tune in Lambda, much more accurate. An engine will always make max power at a Lambda value of .820-.850 but it is impossible to run the engine this lean on pump gas with boost.

We tune all boosted street engines between .77-.79 lambda, which assuming a stoich value of 14.05-14.3, would be in the low 11's. To a certain point, the richer lambda will allow for cooler combustion temps and some additional timing

Anyway, back on track. GO WHIPPLE!
Old 02-17-2011, 01:46 PM
DSteck
Safety Car

Received 83 Likes on 42 Posts
Tech Contributor

Not to side track the thread about the amazing blowers, but STD numbers are about 4% over SAE so this setup would be about 600-605RWHP SAE on a dynojet, which reads about 3-5% higher than a MD (depending on the setup)

Do you know what boost the engine was seeing? The pulley that comes with the blower is 9psi and an aftermarket cold air intake will add 1-1.5psi of boost but that camshaft should knock off about 1-2psi, so this would be right around 8.5-9psi.

11:1 AFR does not really mean much - what are you assuming is stoich? Tune in Lambda, much more accurate. An engine will always make max power at a Lambda value of .820-.850 but it is impossible to run the engine this lean on pump gas with boost.

We tune all boosted street engines between .77-.79 lambda, which assuming a stoich value of 14.05-14.3, would be in the low 11's. To a certain point, the richer lambda will allow for cooler combustion temps and some additional timing

Anyway, back on track. GO WHIPPLE!
Using a ZR1 MAP sensor, it peaked just under 10psi, but was around 9psi for most of the time.

If you want to talk in terms of lambda (I use AFR because most people don't understand lambda), it was done at 0.75 lambda. I tried it a little leaner, but it was getting sensitive to spark knock and didn't want to take as much timing. I made the best power on that setup at 0.75, so that's where I left it (owner wanted to make sure it was very safe, too). I started off around 0.78 and tuned for MBT, then picked up another 20whp without even touching spark when I dropped it to 0.75 (no cooldown).

For what it's worth, I dig Whipple's pump booster for the Camaros.

I'm trying to convince my friend who is getting an LS2 C6 to get a Whipple setup once he has the car. The low end torque is just stupid.

Last edited by DSteck; 02-17-2011 at 01:48 PM.
Old 02-17-2011, 02:22 PM
TorqHQ
Racer

Originally Posted by DSteck
Using a ZR1 MAP sensor, it peaked just under 10psi, but was around 9psi for most of the time.

If you want to talk in terms of lambda (I use AFR because most people don't understand lambda), it was done at 0.75 lambda. I tried it a little leaner, but it was getting sensitive to spark knock and didn't want to take as much timing. I made the best power on that setup at 0.75, so that's where I left it (owner wanted to make sure it was very safe, too). I started off around 0.78 and tuned for MBT, then picked up another 20whp without even touching spark when I dropped it to 0.75 (no cooldown).

For what it's worth, I dig Whipple's pump booster for the Camaros.

I'm trying to convince my friend who is getting an LS2 C6 to get a Whipple setup once he has the car. The low end torque is just stupid.
Awesome, it is refreshing to hear someone who knows what they are talking about
Old 02-18-2011, 06:47 AM
0C_Williams@RPM
Former Vendor

Looking forward to the Whipple on the 'vette. Here's a few pics of a Whipple on a Camaro we finished...

Old 02-20-2011, 10:57 PM
C6-LS2-MN6
Burning Brakes

Received 125 Likes on 81 Posts

Do you have a part # and price for the 2010 LS3 Corvette Whipple kit?

When will it be available to order?

Do you think it's compatible with the NW 102 TB, if one was to use an aftermarket air intake?
Old 02-21-2011, 08:53 AM
vettethret
Melting Slicks

Awesome, it is refreshing to hear someone who knows what they are talking about
What is the potential of this blower with a Forged motor running 93 Octane with meth and Heads/cam, Max effort? 800 rwhp, 900rwhp?

Get notified of new replies

To 2.9L Whipple Twin Screw - SNEAK PEAK!

Old 02-21-2011, 09:21 AM
NICK YOSKIN
Le Mans Master

Received 74 Likes on 46 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by silver99v6
always cover the shaft for protection when going under the bonnet.
lmfao!
Old 02-21-2011, 11:08 AM
TorqHQ
Racer

Originally Posted by C6-LS2-MN6
Do you have a part # and price for the 2010 LS3 Corvette Whipple kit?

When will it be available to order?

Do you think it's compatible with the NW 102 TB, if one was to use an aftermarket air intake?
# Integrated Crusher ™ venturi shaped inlet for maximum airflow capacity and minimal rotor cavitations
# Integrated Crusher ™ 112mm round inlet outflows smaller 90 and 93mm inlets such as other Eaton based systems
# Integrated Crusher ™ 112mm round inlet for optional 102mm, 105mm and 112mm TB's that outflow others 110mm

Aftermarket intakes will also work (may require light modifications) as this is designed to use the STOCK intake.

We are taking pre-orders now (with a small deposit) and pricing is not yet set but I will try and get more information from Whipple today but I would expect it to be around $7500 give or take plus the cost of the hood

I will get exact flow data from Whipple, but on 5.4L Shelby's we have made 750-800+RWHP without issues and still lots of room to go. The 2.9L has a 1800CFM HP capacity (roughly 1200HP)

Give me a couple of hours and I will get some more info

Last edited by TorqHQ; 02-21-2011 at 11:13 AM.
Old 02-21-2011, 11:12 AM
TorqHQ
Racer

* Only twin-screw that's 50-state emissions legal
* Front entry W175ax (2.9 liters) Whipple twin-screw supercharger that significantly outflows competitions 1.9L and 2.3L roots-type systems
* Integrated casting to minimize bolt on pieces, adapters, leaks and flow restrictions
* Optional Crusher™ 120mm (4.75") air inlet system that outflows competition
* Integrated design allows for oversized intercooler core compared to other smaller intercooler cores giving Whipple lower air charge temps which allows more boost and timing to be run on pump gas
* Massive air-to-water aluminum bar-plate intercooler offers more cooling than any other positive displacement system available
* Whipple Superchargers massive oversized intercooled air-bypass system for industry leading reduction of burst knock and incredible fuel economy, no ridiculous fabbed steel tubes
* Self-contained oversized oil system for dramatically reduced oil temps in even the most demanding conditions
* Exclusive 3x5 rotor combo for significant increase in airflow under the curve than less efficient 4x6 rotor combo
* Zero turn inlet allows for decreased induction losses when compared to rear inlet systems and 180deg bends
* Center discharge port for better cylinder to cylinder distribution then other twin-screws with cobbled together billet adapters and forward facing discharge
* Discharge down design allows for less pressure loss which gives
* More boost at the "hit" than any other twin-screw
* Oversized heat exchanger for incredible intercooler water temps
* No internal modifications required
* Completed installation looks factory installed, not some cobbled together kit with multiple billet adapters
* Kits come complete with all necessary parts and hardware for installation
* Unique oil level sight glass for easy oil level and quality check, no dipstick to bind or misread
* Plug and play wiring, no cutting or splicing
* High flow air filter system (50-state legal filter system), coolant reservoir is maintained
* High flow fuel injectors (63lb/hr)
* Proven 6-rib belt system with heavy duty spring loaded tensioner and adjustable idler system
* Stainless steel jack-shaft with unique plastic cover for increased safety
* OEM quick connect fittings for easy installation
* Complete kits, Tuner kits and Hot Rod kits are available
* Available in wrinkle black, polish or any custom color
* Easily upgradeable with big cold air intakes and bigger throttle bodies (102mm or 112mm)
* Instant boost at the touch of the throttle
* 3 minute pulley changes
* 1 year warranty

Quick Reply: 2.9L Whipple Twin Screw - SNEAK PEAK!