C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Eforce oil leak... unbelievable saga ends...

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2011, 12:19 AM
realcanuk
Le Mans Master

Received 394 Likes on 359 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

We had the blower off more than 5 times during this fiasco and had no trouble torquing. You just need a 1/4" torque wrench.
Old 07-23-2011, 06:25 AM
Motorhead-47
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 57 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by ITSGRAND
Funny you say that...I was already on mcmaster's website tonight seeing if there was a better fastener I could use that would be easier to turn and torque in those tight recesses. Only thing I came up with was cap screws and then using a ball ended allen to make up for the angle.
I use a 1/4" drive 6-point socket and a universal joint. It is snug but it reaches them all. The universal screws with the torque setting so I use the old "goot-n-tite" method on those fasteners.
Old 07-23-2011, 05:38 PM
ITSGRAND
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by realcanuk
We had the blower off more than 5 times during this fiasco and had no trouble torquing. You just need a 1/4" torque wrench.
Have a 1/4" torque, but the swivel sockets want to pop off the bolt heads when I start applying torque. I wish the bolt heads were made just slightly taller with less rounding off on the corners.
Old 07-26-2011, 09:30 PM
jimbob8915
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 74 Posts

Could those oil lines just be tapped an plugged?
Old 07-26-2011, 10:49 PM
realcanuk
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by jimbob8915
I dont understand what your referring to.
Old 07-27-2011, 08:10 PM
ITSGRAND
Racer

Yes, they can be but you don't wanna do that unless the engine is out of the car. There's pretty much no way of doing it in the car and not getting shavings places where they shouldn't be. If a "built" motor is being built, these often are tapped since they serve no purpose for non DOD motors.
Old 07-28-2011, 09:19 PM
Luv2Fly
Instructor

Glad it is all over realcanuk, and I did not break anything during installation Who would have thought it was coming right up through the valley plate. Hope all is well.
Old 07-28-2011, 09:43 PM
realcanuk
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by Luv2Fly
Glad it is all over realcanuk, and I did not break anything during installation Who would have thought it was coming right up through the valley plate. Hope all is well.
Hey... how ya doing... I know you didnt !! I get all the luck. Car was perfect and that dam plate had to be defective. Then the problems began.
Old 07-31-2011, 09:49 PM
mrgillies
Pro

Hey Guys, thanks for posting this, Ive had my SC off twice this weekend trying to find this damn leak, I installed mine 6 weeks ago so it must have been one of the batches with issues, guess Rob @ Edelbrock is gonna get a call tomorrow
Old 07-31-2011, 09:54 PM
realcanuk
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by mrgillies
Hey Guys, thanks for posting this, Ive had my SC off twice this weekend trying to find this damn leak, I installed mine 6 weeks ago so it must have been one of the batches with issues, guess Rob @ Edelbrock is gonna get a call tomorrow
Rob will send you a new plate right away but its a good idea to crank the engine for a minute when you remove the blower. That will build enough pressure to see the leak and confirm that's the issue. Good luck
Old 07-31-2011, 10:20 PM
mrgillies
Pro

Rob will send you a new plate right away but its a good idea to crank the engine for a minute when you remove the blower. That will build enough pressure to see the leak and confirm that's the issue. Good luck
Engine is back together just now (DD), I'll do as you said before I remove the plate, like the previous OP said, it started with a couple of drips and progressively got worse, I wish I checked the forums before I removed the SC on Sat and again today
Old 07-31-2011, 10:44 PM
mrgillies
Pro

oh ****...this is exactly what mine was doing (oil puddling on valley plate)when I pulled the supercharger last weekend. I really thought it was the holes that were not used during install having not been completely sealed but it's loosing more oil than that. I received my supercharger and plate around late March early April. I wonder if that is when they had bad ones.

This is pissing me off now
I checked Edelbrocks latest installation instructions (see below)

Part 154. Remove the tape covering the intake ports. Since
two of the stock manifold bolt hole provisions in the
cylinder heads break into the crankcase and are not used
with this supercharger, install the two button head bolts
supplied in Bag #3 in the front passenger side and rear
driver side bolt holes to ensure a good seal
. With the
assistance of one or more people, lift the supercharger
assembly onto the engine.

My instructions said add a dab of silicone to those holes, I'm going to see if Rob can supply me the 2 Button Head Bolts, I was thinking thats where it was leaking from the 1st time I took it off
Old 07-31-2011, 11:21 PM
realcanuk
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '13

We used silicone and no bolts also. There was no leak there on my car. I don't think there is any pressure there. If your getting puddling on the valley plate I would bet its the plate. I assume you checked the pressure switch first thing as they have been known to leak also.
Old 07-31-2011, 11:48 PM
mrgillies
Pro

We used silicone and no bolts also. There was no leak there on my car. I don't think there is any pressure there. If your getting puddling on the valley plate I would bet its the plate. I assume you checked the pressure switch first thing as they have been known to leak also.
There is def. no oil coming from the pressure switch, the puddle is in exactly the same location as the ones on this post and my SC delivey date seems to be about the same time as the the one here.
Old 08-01-2011, 01:33 AM
realcanuk
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '13

There is def. no oil coming from the pressure switch, the puddle is in exactly the same location as the ones on this post and my SC delivey date seems to be about the same time as the the one here.
Like I said. I'd bet its the plate. The one on this post is mine so I know what your going through. Good luck.
Old 08-04-2011, 06:09 PM
ITSGRAND
Racer

They overnighted my plate last Friday and I received it on Monday. The oil leak had again gotten bad enough today that it left two 8" puddles after a 10 minute drive. It's literally pouring out of there. I just started ripping everything apart a few minutes ago and hope to get it swapped out tonight.
Old 08-04-2011, 06:18 PM
realcanuk
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '13

They overnighted my plate last Friday and I received it on Monday. The oil leak had again gotten bad enough today that it left two 8" puddles after a 10 minute drive. It's literally pouring out of there. I just started ripping everything apart a few minutes ago and hope to get it swapped out tonight.
Wow. Thats nuts. I was getting a few drops every morning. Hope thats the fix. Good luck. Keep us posted.

Get notified of new replies

To Eforce oil leak... unbelievable saga ends...

Old 08-04-2011, 06:28 PM
Boomer111
Race Director

Received 191 Likes on 151 Posts

Edelbrock has a great reputation to uphold, I would be surprised if they turned their back on this. After all they basically are aftermarket and as such I considered them being in a luxury oriented industry.
Old 08-04-2011, 07:07 PM
mrgillies
Pro

Spoke with Art @ Edelbrock on Monday, replacement plate was overnighted, arrived Tuesday AM, I've became a dab hand at removing the SC, took 3 hrs from start to finish on Tue Evening, glad to say no more oil leak since then. My leak was also getting pretty big towards the end.

I must say that I got great service from EB, would liked to have seen them throw in something for my hassles (T-shirt etc). I'm lucky I didn't have a 3rd party do my install, I dread to see what that would have cost in labor. On removal of the plate I can see the pinholes from the underside that were causing the leak, checked the new plate and made sure there wasnt any flaws at the high pressure areas, I'm still suspicious on the quality of the valley plate though, its not totally square and had a curve from end to end.
Old 08-04-2011, 08:27 PM
ITSGRAND
Racer

Wow. Thats nuts. I was getting a few drops every morning. Hope thats the fix. Good luck. Keep us posted.
Spoke with Art @ Edelbrock on Monday, replacement plate was overnighted, arrived Tuesday AM, I've became a dab hand at removing the SC, took 3 hrs from start to finish on Tue Evening, glad to say no more oil leak since then. My leak was also getting pretty big towards the end.

I must say that I got great service from EB, would liked to have seen them throw in something for my hassles (T-shirt etc). I'm lucky I didn't have a 3rd party do my install, I dread to see what that would have cost in labor. On removal of the plate I can see the pinholes from the underside that were causing the leak, checked the new plate and made sure there wasnt any flaws at the high pressure areas, I'm still suspicious on the quality of the valley plate though, its not totally square and had a curve from end to end.
Art had even called me today wanting to know why the plate was shipped to my house...um because I do all of my own work and other people's work too as in this is more than just a hobby.

So I'm pissed. stripped everything down, moved the breather over to the new plate (dry sump) put anti-seize under the bolt heads and started tightening everything down. All middle bolts at 18 and now torquing furthest front and back to their final 18 lb-ft THE DAMN PLATE CRACKED AT THE DRIVERS FRONT CORNER! I'm going to try and get the pictures up in just a few minutes. I am so over this and it is complete BS. If they can't get their casting straight then what's the point of them making their own parts?

Magnuson's plate for the M112 GTO kit I had was made from billet plate if I remember correctly. I NEVER had problems like this from their parts...EVER.

Quick Reply: Eforce oil leak... unbelievable saga ends...