C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Eforce oil leak... unbelievable saga ends...

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2011, 02:41 PM
realcanuk
Le Mans Master

Received 394 Likes on 359 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Default Eforce oil leak... unbelievable saga ends...

I first want to thank Chuck CoW, Motorhead-47, Rob and Dave from Edelbrock, and especially Stef from Federal Performance here in Montreal.

I"ll bore you by starting at the beginning. Chuck CoW installed an eforce (among other things) on my 2007 vert. They did an amazing job and the car ran flawlessly for the month since. The only issue I had was a small oil leak which left a couple of drops on my garage floor every few days. I didnt want to go back to Chuck for this as I live 6 hours away.

It took us awhile but we finally found the area of the leak as oil was accumulating on the valley plate

After racking the brains of Chuck and Motorhead-47 we figured the most likely candidate for the leak was the oil pressure switch. I got my hands on a borascope which showed me that the switch was dry and clean, but I couldnt see what was leaking and really couldnt think of anything else under there that could. Finally Chuck put me in touch with Rob from edelbrock and he suggested the remote possibility that the valley plate could be porous (bad casting) and letting oil get right through it. To be honest I though this was crazy but he sent me a new one so that I would have it when we pulled it apart rather than waiting if it was indeed the plate.

Finally Stef and I had time to pull off the SC and take a look:

After cleaning up that mess we went ahead and cranked the motor for a while to build some oil pressure. To my amazement sure enough, there it was. Oil coming right through the valley plate !!!

We installed the new plate, put everything back together and of course since nothing is that simple, the car would not run properly. Bank 1 was missing erratically and running lean. After many, many, MANY hours of troubleshooting we finally figured out that the wiring harness to the coils was no good. It had become hard and brittle with time and heat and I guess removing it that one more tiime was all it could take. New harnesses on both sides and everything is great again.

Thanks again to everyone who helped, and obviously this was no fault of the installer (CoW) who would have taken care of it right away without cost had I chosen to go back to him.

Edelbrock has informed me that they have now built a system to pressure check all plates so hopefully no one else will have to go through this after me.
Old 07-21-2011, 02:52 PM
Motorhead-47
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 57 Likes on 29 Posts

Whooda' thunk!
Old 07-21-2011, 02:54 PM
realcanuk
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by Motorhead-47
Whooda' thunk!
Not me !! But obviously they have seen it before as the suggested it pretty quickly.
Old 07-21-2011, 02:54 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,947 Likes on 2,177 Posts

thanks for the heads up. Good to hear edelbrock offered such good back up. I'm impressed.
Old 07-21-2011, 02:56 PM
realcanuk
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by JerriVette
thanks for the heads up. Good to hear edelbrock offered such good back up. I'm impressed.
The service is honestly second to none. Just that is a reason to consider the product. Rob was reachable, helpfull, and vowed to keep at it until the problem was solved.

Now if only he will send me a check to cover the repairs !!! lol
Old 07-21-2011, 04:02 PM
ITSGRAND
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

oh ****...this is exactly what mine was doing (oil puddling on valley plate)when I pulled the supercharger last weekend. I really thought it was the holes that were not used during install having not been completely sealed but it's loosing more oil than that. I received my supercharger and plate around late March early April. I wonder if that is when they had bad ones.

This is pissing me off now
Old 07-21-2011, 04:53 PM
realcanuk
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by ITSGRAND
oh ****...this is exactly what mine was doing (oil puddling on valley plate)when I pulled the supercharger last weekend. I really thought it was the holes that were not used during install having not been completely sealed but it's loosing more oil than that. I received my supercharger and plate around late March early April. I wonder if that is when they had bad ones.

This is pissing me off now
Call them up. They will send you a new plate. Build some pressure with the SC off just to be sure what is leaking though.
Old 07-21-2011, 05:57 PM
ITSGRAND
Racer

Originally Posted by realcanuk
Call them up. They will send you a new plate. Build some pressure with the SC off just to be sure what is leaking though.
Oh I'm sure that's what is is. I was questioning how oil could jump up and on top of the plate filling all of the bolt heads with oil. No signs of any oil around the pressure sensor and it was mostly towards the front and middle of the supercharger, eventually spilling over and running over the front cover, down the pan and then dripping off at the lowest spots, the drain plugs...UGH!
Old 07-21-2011, 06:04 PM
realcanuk
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '13

Oh I'm sure that's what is is. I was questioning how oil could jump up and on top of the plate filling all of the bolt heads with oil. No signs of any oil around the pressure sensor and it was mostly towards the front and middle of the supercharger, eventually spilling over and running over the front cover, down the pan and then dripping off at the lowest spots, the drain plugs...UGH!
This is exactly why I (and others) post this stuff. Hopefully it can help others with the same problems and save aggravation and time. The really amazing thing is that the oil comes through at the thickest part of the plate. Inside of one of the O rings, which is the only place that has pressure. Good luck with your repairs.
Old 07-21-2011, 06:16 PM
RoadRebel
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Edlebrock is well aware of the issue, its actually getting to be a very significant problem so Im not so sure about it being a remote possiblity.

The kits are still a lot of fun, but anytime there is an issue check in here and a couple of us can point you in the right direction.
Old 07-21-2011, 07:00 PM
realcanuk
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by RoadRebel
Edlebrock is well aware of the issue, its actually getting to be a very significant problem so Im not so sure about it being a remote possiblity.

The kits are still a lot of fun, but anytime there is an issue check in here and a couple of us can point you in the right direction.

I know now that it is an issue and edelbrock now realizes it also, but I have not seen or found anything online or in these forums about it. That is why I made this thread, so people will know rather then go nuts trying to find the leak. As a matter of fact edelbrock just called me to make sure everything is well with the care. Amazing service.
Old 07-21-2011, 10:24 PM
ITSGRAND
Racer

Originally Posted by realcanuk
I know now that it is an issue and edelbrock now realizes it also, but I have not seen or found anything online or in these forums about it. That is why I made this thread, so people will know rather then go nuts trying to find the leak. As a matter of fact edelbrock just called me to make sure everything is well with the care. Amazing service.
I am insanely happy that you made this thread. I looked again tonight and the bolt heads are again full of oil. Everything else is dry except for the valley plate. I'll definitely be calling Edelbrock tomorrow.
Old 07-21-2011, 10:31 PM
realcanuk
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '13

I am insanely happy that you made this thread. I looked again tonight and the bolt heads are again full of oil. Everything else is dry except for the valley plate. I'll definitely be calling Edelbrock tomorrow.
Believe it or not they called me this aft to discuss the issue and we spoke about this thread. I mentioned you,(by situation,not name obviously) and they said they hope you call so they can get it handled. Don't worry, they will take good care of you.
Old 07-22-2011, 06:02 AM
Motorhead-47
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

What is directly beneath that leak area on the underside? Pix?
Old 07-22-2011, 10:33 AM
Neil B
Drifting

Received 110 Likes on 85 Posts

I'm just curious, how does building oil pressure cause the leak through the valley cover? I would think all the cover ever sees is oil splash from the valvetrain.
Old 07-22-2011, 10:57 AM
ITSGRAND
Racer

What is directly beneath that leak area on the underside? Pix?
It's the oil bosses for DOD applications.

I'm not sure which one of mine is leaking but I ran the car for about 30 minutes and now the plate is again wet but nowhere else.
Old 07-22-2011, 12:41 PM
realcanuk
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '13

It's the oil bosses for DOD applications.

I'm not sure which one of mine is leaking but I ran the car for about 30 minutes and now the plate is again wet but nowhere else.
mine was leaking through inside the second O ring from the back.

Get notified of new replies

To Eforce oil leak... unbelievable saga ends...

Old 07-22-2011, 06:04 PM
ITSGRAND
Racer

OK, they are sending me another valley plate. Great to know that they are quick to resolve a problem. I'm becoming an expert at removing and reinstalling this thing...
Old 07-22-2011, 06:41 PM
Motorhead-47
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

OK, they are sending me another valley plate. Great to know that they are quick to resolve a problem. I'm becoming an expert at removing and reinstalling this thing...
You are going to need Dzus fasteners for that head unit!
Old 07-22-2011, 11:59 PM
ITSGRAND
Racer

You are going to need Dzus fasteners for that head unit!
Funny you say that...I was already on mcmaster's website tonight seeing if there was a better fastener I could use that would be easier to turn and torque in those tight recesses. Only thing I came up with was cap screws and then using a ball ended allen to make up for the angle.

Quick Reply: Eforce oil leak... unbelievable saga ends...