C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

E-Force - Valley Plate - Oil leak

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2011, 08:56 PM
jxhunte
Pro

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Default E-Force - Valley Plate - Oil leak

Ordered my Edelbrock E-Force on 2/24/2011 from ECS and had it drop shipped and delivered to my home on 3/02/2011. I installed the E-Force 1593 Kit and began tuning using HP Tuners in late April with 23,776 miles on my 06 Vert. I now have 26,299 on the Vette. I started with the 3.875" pulley which produced just over 2 psi of boost with DA's at just over 9,100' (Bandimere Speedway). WOT Tuning was accomplished at Bandimere. My goal is to reach or exceed 6 psi of boost at my elevation. The 3.875" pulley produced an ET of 12.766 @ 115.68 MPH. Swapped out the 3.875" Pulley for the 3.5" Pulley, producing 4 psi of boost and an ET of 12.116 @ 119.52 MPH. Swapped out the 3.5" Pulley for a 3.25" Pulley producing just under 6 psi of boost and an ET of 11.779 @ 121.91 MPH.

At approximately 26,000 miles on the Vette and 2,200 miles on the E-Force and after installing the 3.25" pulley I noticed oil on my garage floor, tracing it to the Valley Plate. I cleaned up all the Oil taking a test drive along highway 119 to Estes Park to view Fall Colors (120 miles round trip, all at part throttle driving) and no visible sign of an oil leak. Another trip to Bandimere for test and tune and oil everywhere. The oil is now pooled at the front of the Valley Plate, dripping down the front of the block onto the leaf spring/oil pan/spraying everywhere under the Vette.

I have read other threads discussing the Valley Plate oil leak problem and I must report I have all the classic symptoms outlined by these threads. I now have 26,299 miles on the Vette and 2,523 miles on the E-Force. Snow is forecast for tonight through tomorrow so regardless of the oil leak, I may be putting the Vette up for this season and Ill have plenty of time for tear-down and repair.

I will contact Edelbrock on Monday, October 10th (If they are open on Columbus Day). I will report back on my progress with this issue.
Old 10-08-2011, 08:03 AM
erick_e
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 93 Likes on 71 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16

Can I ask what the serial number of your kit is? I was under the inpression that they had already fixed this after a certain number.
Old 10-08-2011, 08:43 AM
realcanuk
Le Mans Master

Received 394 Likes on 359 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

You got your unit well before the fix was done. Very good chance the plate is the problem. The only strange thing is that I don't think the plate can develop this problem over time. It would be defective from the factory. Before pulling the unit I would check to be sure its not the oil pressure switch. I think that's the only other thing that could leak there. Let us know the outcome to this please.
Old 10-08-2011, 09:11 AM
jxhunte
Pro

Support Corvetteforum!

My Edelbrock E-Force was Picked By - "ge", Inspected By - "Ed", on February 23, 2011. The S/C number is 1301. My symptoms are precisely the same as those outlined in the other threads and posts covering this issue. Once I pull the S/C I will know for sure but all my preliminary work points to a bad Valley Plate. It is 6:30am and snowing with a couple of inches on the ground and a forecast for up to a foot of new snow. Looks like I will have plenty of free time to run this issue to ground. Will keep this thread updated with news as it happens.
Old 10-08-2011, 09:17 AM
realcanuk
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '13

I agree it looks like the issue. I had this problem (started the thread) and have seen what the defective plate looks like. I only suggested checking the switch first to be sure because it seems your plate didn't leak from the start. I suppose it could start to leak after time but that just seems less likely. I wouldn't want to pull the unit and then find it was the switch. Good luck.
Old 10-08-2011, 11:07 AM
1badc5GoStrong
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Shop In CO

sorry to hear about the leak as I am looking at getting an LS3 vet and having the E-force installed because I like the roots/twin screw blower low-end torque and the fit and finish. Couple of questions if you dont mind:

1. Are there any qood reliable shops in denver. I am living in highlands ranch?

2. Other than the oil leak how do you like the E-Force re: power, reliability, daily driving and fit and finish (under the stock hood is sweet)?

thanks.
Old 10-08-2011, 11:31 AM
jxhunte
Pro

Support Corvetteforum!

realcanuk - Your thread made me aware of the Valley Plate oil leak issue. I was just hoping I would not have to face this as a problem with my E-Force. I have checked the Oil Pressure Sensor, using a light, viewing behind the S/C unit and cannot see evidence of any oil in this area. The oil is pooled on the front of the Valley Plate, Passenger side. Thanks for posting your experience. Once I noticed oil on the garage floor, I immediately knew where to begin my search.

The S/C unit must come off regardless of the source. I will continue with updates as I work through this issue.
Old 10-08-2011, 01:44 PM
jxhunte
Pro

Support Corvetteforum!

1badc5GoStrong - I love the fit, finish, torque and performance of the E-Force. I am very happy with my choice to go this route. Not happy with the Valley Plate issue but this should be fixed for all new purchases.

I cannot recommend any shops in the Denver Area as I do all my own work. I am not a mechanic but an enthusiast with the DIY gene. I study, research and Do. Two years ago I purchased HP Tuners, and the home study version of "The Tuning School", both basic and advanced.

There are several shops recommended by the Regional Forum. You might want to check there for a shop in your area. I believe there is a shop very near the Highlands Ranch area (I25 and County Line) that many have recommended on this forum.

If you choose to take this project on yourself, feel free to PM me with any questions you may have.
Old 10-08-2011, 03:17 PM
realcanuk
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '13

If its not the switch, its the plate. Edelbrock is very good about it and although it shouldn't have happened its not that big a deal

Even having that issue I would not change my choice of going with the eforce. Its been super reliable for 4000 miles, drives like stock when you don't get into the juice too much, and best of all there is NOTHING more fun than 550 lbs of torque at 3700 rpm for the street.
Old 10-08-2011, 05:16 PM
j_digi454
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by realcanuk
It's been super reliable for 4000 miles, drives like stock when you don't get into the juice too much, and best of all there is NOTHING more fun than 550 lbs of torque at 3700 rpm for the street.
My experience as well.
Old 10-08-2011, 09:20 PM
1badc5GoStrong
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jxhunte
1badc5GoStrong - I love the fit, finish, torque and performance of the E-Force. I am very happy with my choice to go this route. Not happy with the Valley Plate issue but this should be fixed for all new purchases.

I cannot recommend any shops in the Denver Area as I do all my own work. I am not a mechanic but an enthusiast with the DIY gene. I study, research and Do. Two years ago I purchased HP Tuners, and the home study version of "The Tuning School", both basic and advanced.

There are several shops recommended by the Regional Forum. You might want to check there for a shop in your area. I believe there is a shop very near the Highlands Ranch area (I25 and County Line) that many have recommended on this forum.

If you choose to take this project on yourself, feel free to PM me with any questions you may have.
I appreciate the input. I really like the fitment and torque. I know the A& A kit is nice but it just looks bulky and awkward in the engine bay and there are some, not many, belt issues.
Old 10-10-2011, 12:24 PM
jxhunte
Pro

Support Corvetteforum!

Placed a call to Edelbrock's Tech Line (1-800-416-8628) and spoke with one of their Tech's about my Valley Plate oil leak. The Tech I spoke with was not at all familiar with problems associated with oil leaks through the Valley Plate. I got the feeling he thought I was off my rocker and that it was not possible for oil to leak through the plate and that the problem must be with the gasket or the way the Valley Plate was installed. I explained that this is a known problem with the 159X Kit and to please check with other tech's in the S/C department. After a long wait on hold, the tech returned to the phone and asked if I could send him pictures, highlighting the problem. I told him I would send them photo's, highlighting the oil leak. He then agreed to send me a replacement Plate.

Others I know of who have experienced this same problem:

mrgillies: S/C 1625
ITSGRAND: S/C 1370
jxhunte: S/C 1301
realcanuk: S/C XXXX

Are there other Forum Members who have experienced this problem? What is your S/C #?

I will continue with updates as conditions change. For now, waiting on a new Valley Plate.
Old 10-10-2011, 04:42 PM
realcanuk
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '13

Sent you a PM

Placed a call to Edelbrock's Tech Line (1-800-416-8628) and spoke with one of their Tech's about my Valley Plate oil leak. The Tech I spoke with was not at all familiar with problems associated with oil leaks through the Valley Plate. I got the feeling he thought I was off my rocker and that it was not possible for oil to leak through the plate and that the problem must be with the gasket or the way the Valley Plate was installed. I explained that this is a known problem with the 159X Kit and to please check with other tech's in the S/C department. After a long wait on hold, the tech returned to the phone and asked if I could send him pictures, highlighting the problem. I told him I would send them photo's, highlighting the oil leak. He then agreed to send me a replacement Plate.

Others I know of who have experienced this same problem:

mrgillies: S/C 1625
ITSGRAND: S/C 1370
jxhunte: S/C 1301
realcanuk: S/C XXXX

Are there other Forum Members who have experienced this problem? What is your S/C #?

I will continue with updates as conditions change. For now, waiting on a new Valley Plate.
Old 10-13-2011, 08:33 PM
jxhunte
Pro

Support Corvetteforum!

Received the replacement Valley Plate for my Kit#1593 today (10/13/2011). The plate was shipped by Edelbrock "Next Day UPS" at their expense (Reason listed: Warranty). Great Service! I ordered new O-Rings and a Perimeter Gasket from Gene Culley (GM Parts House 484-949-2099). While the existing O-Rings and Perimeter Gasket are probably just fine, I want the replacement Valley Plate using all new gaskets. Once I receive the new gaskets, I will document the replacement with photo's that I will post here.
Old 10-13-2011, 08:37 PM
realcanuk
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '13

Received the replacement Valley Plate for my Kit#1593 today (10/13/2011). The plate was shipped by Edelbrock "Next Day UPS" at their expense (Reason listed: Warranty). Great Service! I ordered new O-Rings and a Perimeter Gasket from Gene Culley (GM Parts House 484-949-2099). While the existing O-Rings and Perimeter Gasket are probably just fine, I want the replacement Valley Plate using all new gaskets. Once I receive the new gaskets, I will document the replacement with photo's that I will post here.
When the SC is off you should clean the plate and then(after removing fuel pump fuse) crank the engine for a minute are two. Seeing the oil come through the plate will assure you 100% that you got the culprit.
Old 10-14-2011, 08:51 AM
erick_e
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 93 Likes on 71 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16

There was a thread somewhere here that mentioned one of the plates was stamped with a "P". I can't remember if it was the original or the replacement one. Does either one of your plates have thos marking, and if so which one is it?

The implication was that the "P" was for pressure tested, or prototype.
Old 10-14-2011, 09:47 AM
jxhunte
Pro

Support Corvetteforum!

The new (replacement) plate has a "P" etched into a purple stained area on the underside of the plate. On the top side of the plate, the following numbers are etched: 24-15908 and 08-11. Based on what I have read, the "P" indicates the plate passed some post manufacturing test and the other numbers represent SN and date manufactured. I am not certain if plate failures are associated with plates manufactured through a specific range of dates or if failures are just randum. The failed plate (original) is not stamped with a "P".

Get notified of new replies

To E-Force - Valley Plate - Oil leak

Old 10-14-2011, 07:39 PM
realcanuk
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '13

The new (replacement) plate has a "P" etched into a purple stained area on the underside of the plate. On the top side of the plate, the following numbers are etched: 24-15908 and 08-11. Based on what I have read, the "P" indicates the plate passed some post manufacturing test and the other numbers represent SN and date manufactured. I am not certain if plate failures are associated with plates manufactured through a specific range of dates or if failures are just randum. The failed plate (original) is not stamped with a "P".
They started pressure testing them right after the time I had the problem. Before that you had a chance to get a bad one as they were not tested.
Old 09-20-2013, 08:08 PM
Flying24
Burning Brakes

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Is there any kind of time line when the E-Force Valley Plate problems began ? received mine in the first week of Oct 2010
Old 09-20-2013, 08:12 PM
realcanuk
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by Flying24
Is there any kind of time line when the E-Force Valley Plate problems began ? received mine in the first week of Oct 2010
You probably fall in that time frame but its not all of them. You will have oil leaking on the ground if yours is defective.

Quick Reply: E-Force - Valley Plate - Oil leak