C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Adding 2nd IAT sensor for meth tuning and displaying value on Aeroforce gauge?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2011, 11:33 PM
turbotuner20v
Safety Car

Received 212 Likes on 118 Posts

Default Adding 2nd IAT sensor for meth tuning and displaying value on Aeroforce gauge?

From what I understand, people are adding a second IAT sensor to their intercooler pipe to tune their meth setup. So it goes intercooler > MAF > meth nozzles > 2nd IAT sensor > throttle body.

Is there a certain type of sensor that needs to be used? Can this sensor be tied into an Aeroforce gauge to display IAT's real time w/ a LED trigger if IAT's go above a certain range?

I'd like to add something like this

http://www.aeroforcetech.com/products_sensors_temp.html

But I'm not sure if it can also be used to read IAT's for the meth tune.
Old 12-05-2011, 12:44 AM
bullitt4110
Le Mans Master

Received 56 Likes on 49 Posts

Most just cut the wires and splice in a IAT plug (or get an adapter harness) and add the sensor after the maf, not in addition. Any of those listed should work.
Old 12-05-2011, 01:33 AM
turbotuner20v
Safety Car

Originally Posted by bullitt4110
Most just cut the wires and splice in a IAT plug (or get an adapter harness) and add the sensor after the maf, not in addition. Any of those listed should work.
ah, that makes sense... I was wondering how the tune factored in both IAT values. So you just cut the IAT wires that lead to the MAF and attach them to the generic aftermarket IAT sensor and it can use that instead.
Old 12-05-2011, 01:35 AM
5 Liter Eater
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

All you need is a 3rd gen IAT sensor and break out harness. Pretty sure ECS has them.

The Aeroforce will read any IAT you use through the ALDL along with any other PIDs. But I would stick with the GM IAT as any one you put in will need to be recalibrated in the tune and you can find the cal from the 3rd gen IAT's from a 3rd gen tune file.

So you could set the interceptor up to alert you when Boost >~5# AND IAT > ~90. To do this you need to be running a 2 or 3 bar MAP which does not require a speed density tune. I plumb my wide band into the Aeroforce and have it alert me if Boost >3# AND AFR > 12.

Last edited by 5 Liter Eater; 12-05-2011 at 01:41 AM.
Old 12-05-2011, 01:38 AM
5 Liter Eater
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

As far as tuning the meth, set it up like you mentioned so the IAT sees the temp drop from the meth. Then either leave the high octane spark table where it is now (~15 degrees) and add timing via the IAT spark adder table when IAT is less then a certain amount (I think I start adding at ~80 degrees and only in the upper flow areas); or set the HO spark table to max timing and use the IAT spark adder table to take timing out when IAT's are higher than expected assuming the meth is flowing.
Old 12-05-2011, 02:01 AM
turbotuner20v
Safety Car

Originally Posted by 5 Liter Eater
All you need is a 3rd gen IAT sensor and break out harness. Pretty sure ECS has them.

The Aeroforce will read any IAT you use through the ALDL along with any other PIDs. But I would stick with the GM IAT as any one you put in will need to be recalibrated in the tune and you can find the cal from the 3rd gen IAT's from a 3rd gen tune file.

So you could set the interceptor up to alert you when Boost >~5# AND IAT > ~90. To do this you need to be running a 2 or 3 bar MAP which does not require a speed density tune. I plumb my wide band into the Aeroforce and have it alert me if Boost >3# AND AFR > 12.
Thanks for the input on using the 3rd gen sensor. I purchased the dual Aeroforce gauges already, but was giving the list of sensors to my wife for x-mas and birthday ideas. Looks like I may need to use different sources, or potentially remove them from the list...

If I buy the ECS alky kit, it looks like I would get a GM 2 bar map sensor (same as what aeroforce sells). Could I tap into this for both the alky kit and the Aeroforce gauge?

And while I'm buying the kit from ECS I can confirm the IAT setup is included, or add it to my order. I would just need one of the signal regulators to send 0-5v from the IAT to the gauge I guess.

My plan is to run knock/timing pull and fuel pressure on one gauge, then boost and IAT on the other gauge. I have an AFX wideband already installed for a/f, but no warning light.

If I can get the IAT and map sensor through ECS though, all I need is the fuel pressure sensor.
Old 12-05-2011, 09:04 AM
DSteck
Safety Car

Received 83 Likes on 42 Posts
Tech Contributor

I would use the IAT2 sensor from a CTS-V since you can actually enter the proper sensor calibration into your file.
Old 12-05-2011, 10:46 AM
turbotuner20v
Safety Car

Originally Posted by DSteck
I would use the IAT2 sensor from a CTS-V since you can actually enter the proper sensor calibration into your file.
Thanks So do you mean it's an exact replacement for the existing IAT and doesn't require modification to the tune to compensate for different readings?
Old 12-05-2011, 11:48 AM
DSteck
Safety Car

Tech Contributor

No. The factory MAF has the IAT built in. There's no such thing as a direct replacement IAT in this setup. I mean you can copy the sensor calibration from a CTS-V file and stick it in your's. The LS1 sensors use totally different calibration scales and units that don't correlate exactly with newer PCM labels. I am also a perfectionist, and that's why I use the CTS-V sensor.
Old 12-05-2011, 11:57 AM
07MontRedcp
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

No. The factory MAF has the IAT built in. There's no such thing as a direct replacement IAT in this setup. I mean you can copy the sensor calibration from a CTS-V file and stick it in your's. The LS1 sensors use totally different calibration scales and units that don't correlate exactly with newer PCM labels. I am also a perfectionist, and that's why I use the CTS-V sensor.
GM Part number?

BJK
Old 12-05-2011, 01:32 PM
bullitt4110
Le Mans Master

Received 56 Likes on 49 Posts

thats some good info, wasnt aware of that. Thanks.
Old 12-05-2011, 01:42 PM
DSteck
Safety Car

Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by 07MontRedcp
GM Part number?

BJK
FFFFFFFUUUUUUUUU... hang on, let me find it. It's buried in a million emails.

Edit: Go go gadget GMPartsDirect order history. 12614717
Old 12-05-2011, 01:50 PM
07MontRedcp
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Thank you ever so much.

BJK
Old 12-05-2011, 04:50 PM
turbotuner20v
Safety Car

thanks

Is it 3/8 npt threaded?

Also, does anyone know if this is the splitter cable I need if using this cts-v sensor?

http://www.casperselectronics.com/st...oducts_id=1108

or this?

http://www.casperselectronics.com/st...oducts_id=1137

Last edited by turbotuner20v; 12-05-2011 at 04:55 PM.
Old 12-05-2011, 04:59 PM
07MontRedcp
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by turbotuner20v
thanks

Is it 3/8 npt threaded?

Also, does anyone know if this is the splitter cable I need if using this cts-v sensor?

or this?

BJK
Old 12-05-2011, 05:06 PM
07MontRedcp
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by turbotuner20v
thanks

Is it 3/8 npt threaded?

or this?

I picked up a splitter cable, several years ago, for my AEM Temp sensor kit and it looks just like the one in the first link.
Old 12-05-2011, 05:40 PM
turbotuner20v
Safety Car

Originally Posted by 07MontRedcp
I picked up a splitter cable, several years ago, for my AEM Temp sensor kit and it looks just like the one in the first link.
I wonder if there is a difference between an '07 Ls2 and an '09 Ls3 harness?

Get notified of new replies

To Adding 2nd IAT sensor for meth tuning and displaying value on Aeroforce gauge?

Old 12-05-2011, 06:42 PM
DSteck
Safety Car

Tech Contributor

Second link is what LS3/LS7 MAF users need.

First link is for LS2 MAF users.
Old 12-06-2011, 10:12 AM
0Cunningham Motorsports
Former Vendor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

yeah the two pin IAT's dont exactly read correctly due to the iat calibration being different, but they do the job, you will just need to edit the IAT table accordingly... send me a part number of the IAT2 for the cts-v, is that one with the map sensor built in?
Old 12-06-2011, 10:33 AM
07MontRedcp
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by RyneZ06
yeah the two pin IAT's dont exactly read correctly due to the iat calibration being different, but they do the job, you will just need to edit the IAT table accordingly... send me a part number of the IAT2 for the cts-v, is that one with the map sensor built in?
He put up the part number in post #12.

BJK

Quick Reply: Adding 2nd IAT sensor for meth tuning and displaying value on Aeroforce gauge?