C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How many 6 rib 'flip-drive'/'direct-drive' options are there?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2011, 09:08 AM
jmoody66
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I wouldnt waste my time on a 6 rib if you go to a Ysi. Go 8 and get the DP version. It is a great piece and solved my issues.
Old 12-20-2011, 10:10 AM
peter pan
Life Time NCM #2196

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,099 Likes on 810 Posts

Originally Posted by winters97gt

I agree, but they work on the same principle. I'm pretty sure Steve fully understands this. I often call mine a "flip drive" even though it is a "direct drive".
I do understand the difference, have seen them both installed in the San Antonio area by Lethal Performance
Old 12-20-2011, 12:36 PM
bullitt4110
Le Mans Master

Received 56 Likes on 49 Posts

I figured, same principle just different name.
Old 12-20-2011, 01:39 PM
Quiky One
Pro

Received 65 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by peter pan
Dude you are totally wrong, lots of time in the game
Same concept, not the same design.

I happen to have a little time in the game as well. I'll stop there.

Old 12-20-2011, 08:17 PM
0Taylor@DallasPerformance
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Bobby @ LG Motorsports
Its identical to the Cartek piece.

It's has more design changes than say the LG headers do over Kooks or Amercian Racing Headers. Heck our stuff is made in American too!

Old 12-20-2011, 09:00 PM
gotjuice?
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by Taylor@DallasPerformance
It's has more design changes than say the LG headers do over Kooks or Amercian Racing Headers. Heck our stuff is made in American too!

Taylor, can you pm a price for your "direct drive", It will be for a '08Z06 with a YSI.
Old 12-21-2011, 01:18 AM
tekhombre
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Theirs is a knock off of the patent pending HPE flip drive and doesn't even compare with the quality and engineering built in the HPE Flip Drive. The HPE Flip Drive is 100% made in America.

http://www.cartek.net/HPE/FlipDrive/index.php

Here are some pictures of the HPE Flip Drive.

Name:  Belt_Route_Pic.jpg
Views: 1827
Size:  59.8 KB

Name:  Flip_Drive_Upper_Tensioner.jpg
Views: 1475
Size:  60.6 KB

Name:  Vette_Ad_final_s.jpg
Views: 1415
Size:  80.0 KB

Julio
Old 12-21-2011, 01:28 AM
tekhombre
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by jmoody66
I wouldnt waste my time on a 6 rib if you go to a Ysi. Go 8 and get the DP version. It is a great piece and solved my issues.
With the Flip Drive you can still run a 6 or an 8 rib or even a cog belt system, it just makes all the C5 or C6 centrifugal SC systems out there more reliable and it enables you to run more boost with out braking or throwing belts.

Julio
Old 12-21-2011, 01:28 AM
winters97gt
Le Mans Master

Received 77 Likes on 65 Posts

BTW, anybody cracked 800-850rwhp with a 6 rib belt? I'm at 774/738 and will try to go for it.
Old 12-21-2011, 01:55 AM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by tekhombre
With the Flip Drive you can still run a 6 rib or an 8 rib or even a cog belt system, it just makes all the C5 or C6 centrifugal SC systems out there more reliable and it enables you to run more boost with out braking or throwing belts.
6 rib should be just fine (with the Flip Drive) in most street/strip applications though:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-f...21-pounds.html

Old 12-21-2011, 02:30 AM
winters97gt
Le Mans Master

Received 77 Likes on 65 Posts

Thanks Marc. I remember reading that when it came out and was super impressed. My impellar speed is about 2000-3000rpm less than that on their test. Just looking if anybody has pressed it further. I haven't seen any signs of belt slip, but I'm going to verify that in the morning on a new dyno.

I absolutely love the idea of the flip/direct drive. Running a stock size balancer allows you more room to get in there and change belts. I've done about 10+belt changes in the last 2 months, and it sucks with an 8 rib and a kit that you have to pull the head unit. Now, I have a kit that you don't have to pull the head unit, and a stock size balancer, so I would like some more info on the limits of the 6 rib.
Old 12-21-2011, 10:33 AM
0Taylor@DallasPerformance
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by tekhombre
Theirs is a knock off of the patent pending HPE flip drive and doesn't even compare with the quality and engineering built in the HPE Flip Drive. The HPE Flip Drive is 100% made in America.
That wasn't directed at Cartek. But since you seem to want to do this I'll respond. Our alteration of this was designed after we installed the Catek Flip Drive and all three failed and left customers stranded. Back then these units were $995 each.

Cartek was professional and replaced the failed componets for free minus shipping in two cases but they failed again (and one car three times).

That inspired our design. That's all. We aren't in the business of selling pullies, we build cars. But you can bet when I buy a product and it fails, leaves my customers stranded and they are upset with the product I installed, I WILL find a solution or build one myself.

With that said, I'm sure that you guys have fixed those inital bugs as you say you have. But don't try to make it look like this is anything other than that.

I prefer my design for a few reasons and we have talked on the phone and email multiple times trying to come up with a conclusion here so I will just leave it at that.
Old 12-21-2011, 10:39 AM
JMBLOWNWS6
Melting Slicks

Received 111 Likes on 77 Posts

My cartek flip drive has been nothing but trouble. I hate to say that because I still use it but contacting cartek didnt help and I had to shim the alternator etc so it would stop throwing belts. I told Peter pan this so I can see why gotjuice is wanting a DP setup. Mine is not the only one my buddies also. Out of the 4 we have installed only 1 has not had to be shimmed. So does it work. Hell Yes. Was it bolt on and go. NO. I spent some cash on replacement belts and to top it off cartek didnt even send the right belts in the first place. If I would have known DP had them I would have bought theres. Just my .02
Old 12-21-2011, 04:26 PM
TRINIC5
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by JMBLOWNWS6
My cartek flip drive has been nothing but trouble. I hate to say that because I still use it but contacting cartek didnt help and I had to shim the alternator etc so it would stop throwing belts. I told Peter pan this so I can see why gotjuice is wanting a DP setup. Mine is not the only one my buddies also. Out of the 4 we have installed only 1 has not had to be shimmed. So does it work. Hell Yes. Was it bolt on and go. NO. I spent some cash on replacement belts and to top it off cartek didnt even send the right belts in the first place. If I would have known DP had them I would have bought theres. Just my .02
Maybe some of your statements could be true but it is still hard to believe. Cartek's Flip Drive has been on both my vettes. I have never had any issues with my belts nor their systems and I can vouch for the engineering design.

My opinion is, this thread was started by the OP to bring out DP direct drive, I am here and have been playing since the C5 first came out in 1997 with a Procharger installed in 2000 and the first Flip Dive that was designed was installed in my car, yes there was some correcting as with most products, but today its a piece of art.

My opinion is that the OP like most members here, have their reasons to make some statement and there are followers. The followers are those who don't really know about the product but talk on the behalf of the shop and make other members believe they have first hand experience.

I have no first hand experience with DP direct drive, (they could send one for me for comparing) but I can give Cartek props for a well designed master piece, and haven't it been for Cartek, Dallas Perf. would not have made a Direct drive.(well its a quote from Talyor's statement ).
A product should not be considered the best because of the marketing trick being used for a shops customers and knowing there might be a favor in return.
I don't repair my cars by Cartek,I used to, but now I'm using another tuner, so I am stating facts, I am not expecting a favor in return but I am saying what I am proud to say, their Flip Drive is well designed and I have never had an issue nor any complaint about it.
Old 12-21-2011, 04:45 PM
user_name
Melting Slicks

Belt slip was negligible on my 750rwhp t-trim setup with the 8-rib. I never had a single belt issue after the initial alignment (by the naked eye), and I had a quality balancer that I didn't expect to come apart 1 day like the stock one.

Was I leaving 20rwhp on the table? Maybe, but I didn't see the flip drive as being worth the money or headache. I would have rather put the money into some nice heads to make an extra 40-50rwhp reliably.

I don't think I'd do it differently if I was ordering a new kit.
Old 12-21-2011, 04:46 PM
orangecrrrush
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have installed many HPE flip drive systems on SC cars. I have had zero issues with the setup. I just did Mario's car that made over 800rwh with no issues. Any system installed requires belt alignment on the SC side.

The HPE unit comes with all the power steering hoses, new belts and complete instructions. For cars making over 10 PSI it works great with preventing belt slippage.
Old 12-21-2011, 05:06 PM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by user_name
Belt slip was negligible on my 750rwhp t-trim setup with the 8-rib. I never had a single belt issue after the initial alignment (by the naked eye), and I had a quality balancer that I didn't expect to come apart 1 day like the stock one.

Was I leaving 20rwhp on the table? Maybe
Fair enough...but eliminating belt slip and gaining some extra horsepower/torque are not the only benefits/advantages (though that alone probably makes it worth it to those seeking all of the gains that can be achieved) to installing an HPE Flip Drive. A notable increase in AC/power steering/alternator accessory & bearing life/longevity comes with the package as well.

Get notified of new replies

To How many 6 rib 'flip-drive'/'direct-drive' options are there?

Old 12-21-2011, 05:11 PM
user_name
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by LS1LT1
Fair enough...but eliminating belt slip and gaining some extra horsepower/torque are not the only benefits/advantages (though that alone probably makes it worth it to those seeking all of the gains that can be achieved) to installing an HPE Flip Drive. A notable increase in AC/power steering/alternator accessory & bearing life/longevity comes with the package as well.
AC is not involved in this. It is already separate.

What you say makes sense in theory. I never had a problem after 2.5 years. (knock on wood). My A&A kit with all the bells and whistles was damn reliable just as it shipped.
Old 12-21-2011, 05:39 PM
JMBLOWNWS6
Melting Slicks

Received 111 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by TRINIC5
Maybe some of your statements could be true but it is still hard to believe. Cartek's Flip Drive has been on both my vettes. I have never had any issues with my belts nor their systems and I can vouch for the engineering design..
Im not a pro like some of the persons on this forum. But I have built plently of LS based cars. And when my gates laser alignment tool tells me its off I trust it. Why do I trust it because I have fixed numerous problems with blower cars with it for items being out of alingment and I calibrate it every single time I use it.
My opinion is, this thread was started by the OP to bring out DP direct drive, I am here and have been playing since the C5 first came out in 1997 with a Procharger installed in 2000 and the first Flip Dive that was designed was installed in my car, yes there was some correcting as with most products, but today its a piece of art...
I agree its a badass idea but it was a real headache to get mine and others to work correct. But others have no problems that we have installed. Go figure.

My opinion is that the OP like most members here, have their reasons to make some statement and there are followers. The followers are those who don't really know about the product but talk on the behalf of the shop and make other members believe they have first hand experience..
Do I do my work at a shop? Yes. Do I consider myself a follower. No. This is my first hand experience with this product. And I have built my Twin turbo trans am, 04 cobra , 02 Z06 with 905 rwhp so Id say Ive done my time when it comes to reconmending a product to someone online in the forum. And at first I thought it was user error untill I came on here and hit the search button a couple of times. Didnt take long for me to see there where issues. Maybe we got a bad batch. Considering we ordered all of them at the same time.
I have no first hand experience with DP direct drive, (they could send one for me for comparing) but I can give Cartek props for a well designed master piece, and haven't it been for Cartek, Dallas Perf. would not have made a Direct drive.(well its a quote from Talyor's statement ).
A product should not be considered the best because of the marketing trick being used for a shops customers and knowing there might be a favor in return.
I don't repair my cars by Cartek,I used to, but now I'm using another tuner, so I am stating facts, I am not expecting a favor in return but I am saying what I am proud to say, their Flip Drive is well designed and I have never had an issue nor any complaint about it.
I love the product. I did call Cartek multiple times and most of the time they didnt answer. And when they did answer it was a short conversation and it really didnt go anywhere. So I made it work. I like the DP design but thats me and just my .02 on the internet
Old 12-21-2011, 06:33 PM
TRINIC5
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by orangecrrrush
I have installed many HPE flip drive systems on SC cars. I have had zero issues with the setup. I just did Mario's car that made over 800rwh with no issues. Any system installed requires belt alignment on the SC side.

The HPE unit comes with all the power steering hoses, new belts and complete instructions. For cars making over 10 PSI it works great with preventing belt slippage.
Thanks again Adam for doing such a great job on PUMP gas with NO METH.
This HPE flip drive will be an issue now because DP used their kit to redesigned a new kit, its a marketing strategy to bring down the existing system and raise the bars odf the new one.
Anotherthing is check the members who are praising up the DP Direct Drive, they are all in the Texas area, is the DP system capable of leaving Texas? Anyhow as I said before, each shops have their followers and maybe Cartek should try getting some followers, but to all fairness, the forum is for members to know about the new products and learn from others who have first hand experience, but at this forum its different.
Our experience with Vendors here are restricted and some vendors have their followers who come on here and bad talk other tuners and their products just to make theirself and the shop they support look good.

Quick Reply: How many 6 rib 'flip-drive'/'direct-drive' options are there?