C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

pre-supercharger install questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2012, 12:11 PM
neveret
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default pre-supercharger install questions

I bought an A&A kit on the forum and will be installing it in a few weeks, but I have a couple of questions. I'll post my setup with questions to follow.

Items I have:
05' ls2 m6 stock
c5 z06 diff 3.42 w/ c6 z06 output shafts
mcleod rst w/ ls1 flywheel
LG 1 7/8 header with catted x pipe
modded z06 bi mode exhaust
A&A v3 si kit w/ 3.5" pulley
single nozzle meth kit

A guy I work with has EFI live and has offered to let me use it so I'd just have to buy a credit and take the car to my tuner. I don't see many people in the F/I forum using EFI live, will I run into trouble using it? Would it be better to use HPtuners? I'd like to use a 2 bar map sensor and add an IAT for meth tuning purposes. Will I be able to make this work with either tuning tool? Where or who should I ask to get a good startup map for EFI live so that I can get the car to a dyno.

I'm still looking for a crank pin kit or even just the washer/fixture if any body has one they would like to get rid of.
Old 02-28-2012, 12:41 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

EFI live is fine. Your car has an IAT you just need to move it post meth nozzle.

A&A told me I shouldn't run anything smaller than a 3.6" pulley because I would be overspinning the blower. You may want to check on your setup with a 3.5" pulley. A 3.5" maybe ok depending on your redline.
Old 02-28-2012, 02:54 PM
Lethal Racing
Drifting

EFI Live will work fine for your setup. I personally prefer EFI Live. If you need any help please feel free to pm me.

Shawn
Old 02-28-2012, 08:26 PM
Tree1985
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Unreal
EFI live is fine. Your car has an IAT you just need to move it post meth nozzle.

A&A told me I shouldn't run anything smaller than a 3.6" pulley because I would be overspinning the blower. You may want to check on your setup with a 3.5" pulley. A 3.5" maybe ok depending on your redline.

3.8 pulley came with my kit from A&A. 10-lbs of boost is all you need unless you forge the bottom end... Then you might have to increase blower size and crank pulley (overdrive), compression differences...oyoyoye
Old 02-29-2012, 01:50 PM
neveret
Advanced

Originally Posted by Unreal

Originally Posted by Tree1985

3.8 pulley came with my kit from A&A. 10-lbs of boost is all you need unless you forge the bottom end... Then you might have to increase blower size and crank pulley (overdrive), compression differences...oyoyoye
I thought the IAT was built into the maf. I didn't think it was safe to spray the water/meth through it and that's why people add a standalone sensor down stream while keeping the maf up stream of the nozzle.

Vortech's calculator says that with a stock crank pulley and 6500 rpm redline the blower should spin a bit over 50,000rpm. The V3 si is rated for 52,000 rpm. The person I bought the blower from was running a 3.25" pulley and the blower held up fine, but I'd rather not overspin and that's why I went with the 3.5" pulley. I was also under the impression that the bottom end should be fine if I'm using the water/meth. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't imagine that the blower will make more than 14lbs with the 3.5" pulley. This info is based on my research so far and I'm no expert so if I'm out of line here I might have to swap pulley's if the car makes to much boost. I do have the 3.8" pulley from the A&A kit as well.
Old 02-29-2012, 03:15 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

Yes the IAT is built into the maf so you need to add another if you want to move it.

14psi on a stock bottom end sounds a bit risky.
Old 02-29-2012, 06:04 PM
Josh@AandASuperchargers
Platinum Supporting Vendor

Received 182 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by neveret
I bought an A&A kit on the forum and will be installing it in a few weeks, but I have a couple of questions. I'll post my setup with questions to follow.

Items I have:
05' ls2 m6 stock
c5 z06 diff 3.42 w/ c6 z06 output shafts
mcleod rst w/ ls1 flywheel
LG 1 7/8 header with catted x pipe
modded z06 bi mode exhaust
A&A v3 si kit w/ 3.5" pulley
single nozzle meth kit

A guy I work with has EFI live and has offered to let me use it so I'd just have to buy a credit and take the car to my tuner. I don't see many people in the F/I forum using EFI live, will I run into trouble using it? Would it be better to use HPtuners? I'd like to use a 2 bar map sensor and add an IAT for meth tuning purposes. Will I be able to make this work with either tuning tool? Where or who should I ask to get a good startup map for EFI live so that I can get the car to a dyno.

I'm still looking for a crank pin kit or even just the washer/fixture if any body has one they would like to get rid of.
Congrats on your purchase. If you need any parts, or get hung up on the install give us a call.

You'll be fine with EFI Live. We use HP Tuners so can't help with a base tune for EFI Live.

Originally Posted by neveret
Vortech's calculator says that with a stock crank pulley and 6500 rpm redline the blower should spin a bit over 50,000rpm. The V3 si is rated for 52,000 rpm. The person I bought the blower from was running a 3.25" pulley and the blower held up fine, but I'd rather not overspin and that's why I went with the 3.5" pulley. I was also under the impression that the bottom end should be fine if I'm using the water/meth. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't imagine that the blower will make more than 14lbs with the 3.5" pulley. This info is based on my research so far and I'm no expert so if I'm out of line here I might have to swap pulley's if the car makes to much boost. I do have the 3.8" pulley from the A&A kit as well.
What calculator did you use? When I calculated it I got 48,471. You probably won't get 14 PSi out of a Si with that pulley. Boost will vary depending on your mods. I don't think you'll need to use that 3.8" pulley, but it's good thing you have it just in case.

PLEASE TAKE A MOMENT TO VISIT OUR NEW WEBSITE AT WWW.AACORVETTE.COM
NOW PARTNERING WITH AFFIRM TO OFFER INTEREST FREE FINANCING!

A&A CORVETTE PERFORMANCE
477 LAMBERT ST Ste A
OXNARD CA 93036
(805) 278-4107

Instagram @aacorvettesuperchargers
Facebook.com/AACorvette

Last edited by Josh@AandASuperchargers; 02-29-2012 at 06:13 PM.
Old 03-01-2012, 11:41 AM
neveret
Advanced

Originally Posted by Frank@AandACorvette
Congrats on your purchase. If you need any parts, or get hung up on the install give us a call.

You'll be fine with EFI Live. We use HP Tuners so can't help with a base tune for EFI Live.

What calculator did you use? When I calculated it I got 48,471. You probably won't get 14 PSi out of a Si with that pulley. Boost will vary depending on your mods. I don't think you'll need to use that 3.8" pulley, but it's good thing you have it just in case.
Thanks, the kit seems very nice and I'll probably end up getting the crank pin kit from you guys soon unless I find one from somebody here.

I used the calculator on vortech's website. According to them the internal step up is 3.6:1 which is the same as the V2. If you plug in this data - crank pulley 7.5" - shift rpm 6500 - blower pulley 3.48" the calculated impeller speed is 50431.03 rpm.
http://www.vortechsuperchargers.com/...d%20Calculator

here's the specs on the V3 si for reference:
http://www.vortechsuperchargers.com/product.php?p=148

So what kind of boost do you think the blower will make with the 3.5" pulley? Would you consider this setup risky for the bottom end while spraying water/meth?
Old 03-02-2012, 05:41 PM
Josh@AandASuperchargers
Platinum Supporting Vendor

Received 182 Likes on 142 Posts

I see what happened. I used 7.25" for the crank pulley size.

It's hard to be exact, but I'd say 8-10 PSi. With the water/meth and a good tune it should be OK. Let me know if you need that pin kit.

Get notified of new replies

To pre-supercharger install questions

Quick Reply: pre-supercharger install questions