C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Slipping a Clutch with a lot of Power and Stock Parts

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2012, 04:16 AM
winters97gt
Le Mans Master

Received 77 Likes on 65 Posts

Default Slipping a Clutch with a lot of Power and Stock Parts

Thought I would share this with you guys as well... I'm not near a "Ranger", I don't powershift(did that in my mustangs and paid the price), but I do feel like I have launching these cars down somewhat at a higher power level than the average vette owner at the strip, though I feel I still have quite a bit of improving to go, and learning how to drive these cars even faster.

Anyways, Justin and Joe G bumped a thread of mine that is a year old on my initial reviews of the Mcleod RXT and sent me a PM yesterday. They wanted an updated review on the clutch, and I gave them as detailed a review as I could. They are at the top of the ET lists in their categories, so I know how important a clutch is. I've been through 3 in this car, and 2 on the last car. They are really setting the bar extremely high for NA C6 cars, so I understand why they wanted more info on the clutch.

I really, really like the Mcleod RXT clutch. I don't have experience in the 1000+hp area, so I can't comment on that. To me, there are 2 things that are most important in a clutch.

1. Will it slip, hold the power and not break stuff?

2. Does it feel like a stock clutch?

The Mcleod does both very well for me. I made a short video of a few launches. Doesn't have most of my 1.50-1.52 launches since no video was made, but does have a 1.5, 1.60's and 1.46, some from different angles. I really don't care about how well a clutch can hold power, because I don't make enough to wear these high hp clutches out on the street/dyno. What matters is how well they perform with heat in them at the track to help save rearend parts, transmissions, and still drive like stock.

I still have the stock driveline in my car after 16 months and lots of abuse.

I have found that a hard slip at 3000-3500rpm works best for running 1.50-1.55 60ft's in stock C6 cars with 650-800rwhp. It may differ depending on what tire, rearend, clutch, etc that you are running. For example. I wouldn't ever expect a puck clutch with a slick to react anywhere similar to the Mcleod RXT on a drag radial. Also, I have had friends 3 friends say, "you just ride the clutch out". Yes, and No to that. I slip it hard, then I let the clutch do the rest of the work. What you hear is not me working the clutch through the launch on the Go-Pro videos, it is me getting the car rolling at the proper RPM, then a quick, hard slip. So it is absolutely not riding the clutch out.

My best is a 1.46 in the car. That is the only time I have actually went after the best 60ft I could(told 5litereater what my ET was going to be 30 seconds before the pass and that I was launching hard, and nailed it, since then, I haven't been as bold and haven't tried since then). I think with a Z06 or better rear end, there is probably room for improvement on the 60ft without damaging anything. Also, not lifting on the shift should get the car another .1-.2, but I'm not doing that until this fall with the power it makes on the stock stuff. I truely believe shifting is the LAST thing you need to concentrate on these IRS vettes. A good 60ft and decent shifting will get you a good ET. Then powershifting will get you a great ET. I feel that the most important part is learning how to launch these cars consistantly, time after time without breaking and getting the 60ft dialed in. Then, worry about the shifting.

Here is just a quick video I made late this evening. I wish I had more video of my better 60ft's, but I don't except slips.

Last edited by winters97gt; 03-13-2012 at 04:46 AM.
Old 03-13-2012, 04:36 AM
lethal zo6
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Do you have the z51 gearing ? Reason I asked,is JMs car does, and I can slip that clutch and get out of hole with 1.5 60s with no issues. That 2.97 first with tall tire helps A LOT getting out of the hole.
Old 03-13-2012, 05:15 AM
winters97gt
Le Mans Master

Received 77 Likes on 65 Posts

No, Danny. Base all the way here.

At the end of the day, we all knew who the best driver was. It was you at the track rental. Nobody could hear a gear change on your passes.

Once the clutch does the job, or a slower release, the ET record for both the Z06 and ZR1 is within reason, easily, with how good you can drive a car banging gears.

Last edited by winters97gt; 03-13-2012 at 06:06 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Slipping a Clutch with a lot of Power and Stock Parts

Quick Reply: Slipping a Clutch with a lot of Power and Stock Parts