C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission Temperature Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2012, 08:41 PM
Flzlo
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removing Trans Cooler When Installing Supercharger

For those of you that have installed a centri blower on your car and the A6 transmission cooler was removed, what do your tranny temps run at and what is a safe operating temperature for the transmission fluid temperature?

Last edited by Flzlo; 04-16-2012 at 09:23 PM. Reason: Changed Title
Old 04-16-2012, 11:37 PM
NSANEC6
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Flzlo
For those of you that have installed a centri blower on your car and the A6 transmission cooler was removed, what do your tranny temps run at and what is a safe operating temperature for the transmission fluid temperature?
As someone who is currently experiencing transmission cooling issues this is the information that I have gathered on my ordeal. First I would advise installing a B and M transmission cooler. One with a fan. Second I would look at installing an LG motorsports super cool radiator or a dewitt's . Transmission temps should stay in the 180 to 190 range. in heavy traffic or under a heavy load 205 to 215.... max. After that 225 to 230 is very hot. Over 250-260 you will start burning clutch packs.

I have been dealing with these issues on my build. The guys at Lethal Racing have been very helpful in diagnosing and resolving the problems. Shawn has worked with me on the proper tuning and installing the correct coolers to get me to the levels I should be at to safely operate the car. Mike at Century Transmissions and Automotive has also been very helpful in offering explanations and advise to me about my build. You might want to pm one of these guys if you want or need more detail.
Old 04-17-2012, 12:22 AM
Chris Stewart
Safety Car

Received 118 Likes on 78 Posts

It seems the colder it runs, the better off you are.

Old 04-18-2012, 08:46 PM
carlrx7
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

what do you mean, 'transcooler was removed"? why is that necessary, mine is in the radiator, then an external mounts to the front of the condenser.

-Carl
Old 04-19-2012, 06:30 PM
txvettefan
Instructor

I think that he might be confusing the power steering cooler for the trans cooler. The transcooler is integral to the radiator. You should deffiantly install an auxillary cooler. If you install a stall converter? It is not optional!!!

I wish that I wouldn't have had a dose of cheapness and bought the B&M w/fan.
Old 04-20-2012, 05:23 PM
Tree1985
Instructor

Originally Posted by txvettefan
I think that he might be confusing the power steering cooler for the trans cooler. The transcooler is integral to the radiator. You should deffiantly install an auxillary cooler. If you install a stall converter? It is not optional!!!

Only cooler I removed was the power steering cooler during my install. If you are seeing high temps, your clutch paks may be gone...
Old 04-20-2012, 06:46 PM
txvettefan
Instructor

Transmission Temperatures post 3200-3400 stall w/smallish tranmission cooler usually run in the 180's and about 208 about hard WOT run. Are these temperatures high-normal-low??
Old 04-21-2012, 07:33 AM
Flzlo
Intermediate

Originally Posted by txvettefan

You are exactly right. Thanks for getting me straight. I just noticed that the transmission temp was running around 189 - 194 coming home after the supercharger install. That seemed a little higher than normal and I got off on the wrong track thinking that they must have removed an external transmission cooler.
Old 04-21-2012, 11:31 AM
txvettefan
Instructor

Personally I was pissed that I had to remove the power steering cooler. I dislike what seems to be high transmission temperatures and will continue to work to keep them under the 200 degree mark.

We are all glad to be of assistance, because I owned an over-the-top GTO for >3 years and <4 months as a Vette owner.
Old 04-21-2012, 01:41 PM
03justin
Instructor

i have a pi 3400 tripple disk with a level 7 and the b&m cooler with fan that rpm sells and so far my temps are staying in the 160's.i also ran an lines straight to the cooler and wired it so it runs non stop when the car is on.
Old 04-21-2012, 02:37 PM
txvettefan
Instructor

Originally Posted by 03justin
i have a pi 3400 tripple disk with a level 7 and the b&m cooler with fan that rpm sells and so far my temps are staying in the 160's.i also ran an lines straight to the cooler and wired it so it runs non stop when the car is on.
Many thanks. My converter lock tight, but the added fan is bad@$$

Get notified of new replies

To Transmission Temperature Question

Quick Reply: Transmission Temperature Question