C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

YSi on stock bottom end LS3... HELP AND SUGGESTIONS NEEDED!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2013, 10:26 PM
Slowsome
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by WickedVetteLT4
Damn! That's my plan but the other way around. Lol I have all of that same stuff but its an A&A kit and I plan to run the stock LS3 block for now until I can afford to build the forged 416 setup.

I talked to Josh at A&A today and he said he would run the 3.5 but he didn't have an exact calculation for the size I'd def need to be where i want to be but he said either that 3.5 or their 3.8 pulley should put me there. He said the +10% overdrive makes choosing the pulley size for the YSi to make 13lbs or less a little difficult cause most people running that crank pulley are looking for big boost.

I plan to drop the car at the shop Monday to have it all done so its decision time so I can get it ordered tomorrow! Lol
Yeah I cant swing fixing the 416 now, gonna run the stock engine and may put the 416 in a different chassis later on... But with the overdrive and a 3.5 pulley it made 15 psi on the stock cube set up..... So I figure we will need a 3.7 or so to get 12-13 psi I'm thinking... I am gonna run the 3.5 and put a restrictor in mine.... I have a couple of sizes cut out to get me where I want to be...lol the restrictor will give me more torque down low.....
Old 02-14-2013, 11:12 PM
KSP387
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Slowsome
Yeah I cant swing fixing the 416 now, gonna run the stock engine and may put the 416 in a different chassis later on... But with the overdrive and a 3.5 pulley it made 15 psi on the stock cube set up..... So I figure we will need a 3.7 or so to get 12-13 psi I'm thinking... I am gonna run the 3.5 and put a restrictor in mine.... I have a couple of sizes cut out to get me where I want to be...lol the restrictor will give me more torque down low.....

You better hurry.....

I'm going to stripe that JSB Vette
Old 02-14-2013, 11:14 PM
WickedVetteLT4
Melting Slicks

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Oh ok. Makes sense man. I may just get the 3.8 then that A&A carries unless I can find a 3.7. I def wanna stay in the 11-13 area. Closer to 13 the better. Restrictor plate sounds like a solid idea. I'd do the same but I hear the A&A kits don't respond as well to them. Something to do with the inlet piping or something... I don't know. Guess I could always order the ECS 4" inlet piping alone and that's the only thing I'd need to make my kit work like ECS's kit to use a restrictor plate. That might be a solid idea for torque purposes.
Old 02-14-2013, 11:14 PM
SteveDoten
Le Mans Master

Received 160 Likes on 125 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran

ran mid 9's on the T-trim? why mess with a proven setup?

What did Josh tell you to do?

that's all i got bud.
Old 02-14-2013, 11:19 PM
WickedVetteLT4
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by SteveDotenMotorsports
ran mid 9's on the T-trim? why mess with a proven setup?

What did Josh tell you to do?

that's all i got bud.
Yeah, it was a solid setup. I'm not changing it because I want to. My T-trim crapped out on me. Josh said order the Ti-trim and bolt it back up and run with it. I bought the YSi because I have intentions of building the motor sooner or later so I figured it was the way to go for the long run. Ti would undoubtedly be better for now being on the stock block but the YSi has so much more potential once the car is built. When I explained all of this to Josh, he said I'm better to go with the YSi if I really do plan to build the block soon.

But I've been on that fence because the Ti would work for now and could still be spun to 850 rear wheel or so which is very close to my goal. I'd like to make 900ish when said and done.
Old 02-14-2013, 11:40 PM
gotjuice?
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Oh ok. Makes sense man. I may just get the 3.8 then that A&A carries unless I can find a 3.7. I def wanna stay in the 11-13 area. Closer to 13 the better. Restrictor plate sounds like a solid idea. I'd do the same but I hear the A&A kits don't respond as well to them. Something to do with the inlet piping or something... I don't know. Guess I could always order the ECS 4" inlet piping alone and that's the only thing I'd need to make my kit work like ECS's kit to use a restrictor plate. That might be a solid idea for torque purposes.
A&A's intercooler outlet is 3.5 inches.
Old 02-14-2013, 11:53 PM
WickedVetteLT4
Melting Slicks

Is that the only other difference? My piping from the intercooler to the mass air is solid 4" as well I believe. The inlet where the restrictor plate would go would be on the inlet side of the blower. A&A has the big plastic intake that the filter connects to and ECS uses a solid pipe like the one from the intercooler to the mass air.
Old 02-15-2013, 01:00 AM
Slowsome
Instructor

Originally Posted by KSP387
You better hurry.....

I'm going to stripe that JSB Vette
Better get it back home before you talk trash haha ..
Old 02-15-2013, 01:03 AM
Slowsome
Instructor

Is that the only other difference? My piping from the intercooler to the mass air is solid 4" as well I believe. The inlet where the restrictor plate would go would be on the inlet side of the blower. A&A has the big plastic intake that the filter connects to and ECS uses a solid pipe like the one from the intercooler to the mass air.
My ECS kit uses a plastic pipe from the filter to the blower inlet... and like you said the restrictor pops in the filter before it goes in the blower.....
Old 02-15-2013, 01:30 AM
WickedVetteLT4
Melting Slicks

My ECS kit uses a plastic pipe from the filter to the blower inlet... and like you said the restrictor pops in the filter before it goes in the blower.....
Really? Well it was explained to me that the difference was in the inlet pipe. If yours is plastic too, I wonder what the reason is that the restrictor plate works better on the ECS kit than the A&A kit?
Old 02-15-2013, 08:39 AM
DSteck
Safety Car

Received 83 Likes on 42 Posts
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by lt1z
The Ti is good for 100 more cfm then a T trim so I think it is a good step up but the YSi is more capable and louder.

For me personally, I like the self contained blower and don't want to push my setup beyond 800 rwhp so the Ti will get me there.

What type of fuel was that local car on Dave? Race gas, E85 or 93+ meth?
93 + meth

This guy beats the hell out of this thing, and somehow it is still ticking. He's Kafood on the forum.

Old 02-15-2013, 01:06 PM
WickedVetteLT4
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by DSteck
93 + meth

This guy beats the hell out of this thing, and somehow it is still ticking. He's Kafood on the forum.

http://youtu.be/LXEg2GG5b2k
Nice! That thing makes power! What blower is that he's running?

I'm really wondering if the self contained unit is really an advantage over oil fed? Seems oil fed would be easier once installed because its maintained with oil changes all at once. I really don't know the pros/cons though between the two.

Every time I think I'm going to install the YSi since I already have it and be done with it, I go back to thinking maybe the Ti would be better for now and still get me where I want to be later. Toughest decision I've had to make with the car thus far but I need to decide ASAP and run with it to get this thing back together again.
Old 02-15-2013, 01:16 PM
Slowsome
Instructor

Nice! That thing makes power! What blower is that he's running?

I'm really wondering if the self contained unit is really an advantage over oil fed? Seems oil fed would be easier once installed because its maintained with oil changes all at once. I really don't know the pros/cons though between the two.

Every time I think I'm going to install the YSi since I already have it and be done with it, I go back to thinking maybe the Ti would be better for now and still get me where I want to be later. Toughest decision I've had to make with the car thus far but I need to decide ASAP and run with it to get this thing back together again.
Ive got an Inline filter in the return line for mine, just incase something in the blower does go down..... Has to help some..... PLus the oil fed units run cooler than the Self contained...
Old 02-15-2013, 01:47 PM
Skunkworks
Melting Slicks

Really? Well it was explained to me that the difference was in the inlet pipe. If yours is plastic too, I wonder what the reason is that the restrictor plate works better on the ECS kit than the A&A kit?
Both A&A and ECS have a plastic blower inlet tube (air bridge, dongle call it what you will), the major difference is in how the kits create the necessary clearance:
- A&A drops lower radiator support straight down with spacers (cylindrical bar stock cut to length then drilled)
- ECS drops lower radiator support down and forward using plate adapters.
So with above said, the ECS air bridge has a gentler bend than A&A. This does not change if a restrictor disk can be placed between filter and air bridge.

The reason ECS has a better track record with restrictor disks, is because of all the testing they have done. A restrictor disk simply creates a pressure drop at blower inlet (like going up in altitude), which allows blower to be spun higher. But care needs to be taken that the pressure drop vs. velocity does not exceed blower curve, both are exponential in nature.

Old 02-15-2013, 02:01 PM
WickedVetteLT4
Melting Slicks

Ive got an Inline filter in the return line for mine, just incase something in the blower does go down..... Has to help some..... PLus the oil fed units run cooler than the Self contained...
That's actually a really good idea. And being on the return line, if it slows flow a bit, its not a big deal. Ill prob do the same on mine. I'd imagine there is a lot better chance of the blower sending trash to the oilpan than the motor breaking something and sending it into the blower anyway.
Old 02-15-2013, 02:07 PM
lt1z
Melting Slicks

Received 170 Likes on 143 Posts

Id run the 3.8 pulley with the YSi and OD balancer on the stock motor.

Last edited by lt1z; 02-15-2013 at 05:20 PM.
Old 02-15-2013, 02:10 PM
WickedVetteLT4
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Skunkworks
Both A&A and ECS have a plastic blower inlet tube (air bridge, dongle call it what you will), the major difference is in how the kits create the necessary clearance:
- A&A drops lower radiator support straight down with spacers (cylindrical bar stock cut to length then drilled)
- ECS drops lower radiator support down and forward using plate adapters.
So with above said, the ECS air bridge has a gentler bend than A&A. This does not change if a restrictor disk can be placed between filter and air bridge.

The reason ECS has a better track record with restrictor disks, is because of all the testing they have done. A restrictor disk simply creates a pressure drop at blower inlet (like going up in altitude), which allows blower to be spun higher. But care needs to be taken that the pressure drop vs. velocity does not exceed blower curve, both are exponential in nature.

Oh ok. Makes sense. So... the restrictor plate should really work just as well in the A&A kit as the ECS kit. I may go that route then.

And I think I'm understanding the pressure drop vs. velocity situation. In other words, running a pulley that makes 15 lbs and using a restrictor plate to bring it down to 12 or 13 would prob be ok but running a tiny 2.7 pulley that would make 20 lbs of boost and trying to restrictor plate it down to the same 12-13 lb point would be a bad idea. Too big of a difference. Is that right?

Get notified of new replies

To YSi on stock bottom end LS3... HELP AND SUGGESTIONS NEEDED!!

Old 02-15-2013, 02:16 PM
WickedVetteLT4
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by lt1z
Id run the 3.8 pulley with tge YSi and OD balancer on the stock motor.
That was exactly what I was thinking. Slowsome said his 3.5" pulley with the OD balancer is putting him at 15lbs on the YSi so the 3.8" would prob put me in the 12 lbs range or so. His 3.5 pulley and restrictor plate idea sounds pretty good though to keep torque up and save some of the low and mid range power. I just don't have any experience running a restrictor plate but if I can go his route and do that to keep the torque and low end power, seems like a winning solution.
Old 02-15-2013, 02:25 PM
Skunkworks
Melting Slicks

Oh ok. Makes sense. So... the restrictor plate should really work just as well in the A&A kit as the ECS kit. I may go that route then.

And I think I'm understanding the pressure drop vs. velocity situation. In other words, running a pulley that makes 15 lbs and using a restrictor plate to bring it down to 12 or 13 would prob be ok but running a tiny 2.7 pulley that would make 20 lbs of boost and trying to restrictor plate it down to the same 12-13 lb point would be a bad idea. Too big of a difference. Is that right?
Yes because you'd loose power in some spots (too much restriction), also discharge temperature would be too high for the work being done (due to compressor being off design).

So in mild form it does work well, especially when looking at bang for your buck.
Old 02-15-2013, 02:33 PM
WickedVetteLT4
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Skunkworks
Yes because you'd loose power in some spots (too much restriction), also discharge temperature would be too high for the work being done (due to compressor being off design).

So in mild form it does work well, especially when looking at bang for your buck.
That makes sense. So if a 3.8" pulley would put me where I want to be with the OD balancer alone, would the 3.5" pulley and using the restrictor plate idea to get to the 12-13 lb range be the better route to go?

Seems like that would be a mild enough change to keep the blower working efficiently.

Quick Reply: YSi on stock bottom end LS3... HELP AND SUGGESTIONS NEEDED!!