C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

YSi on stock bottom end LS3... HELP AND SUGGESTIONS NEEDED!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2013, 01:16 PM
WickedVetteLT4
Melting Slicks

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Default YSi on stock bottom end LS3... HELP AND SUGGESTIONS NEEDED!!

Hey guys,
My car has had an A&A V3 T-trim (6-rib with flip drive) on it for awhile but i recently bought the brand new A&A YSi, brackets, 8-rib pulley kit and +10% IW crank balancer planning to upgrade it all and give myself room to grow in the future. I eventually plan to build the block but that wont be for a short while. As of now, it is on the stock LS3 bottom end. It has a blower cam, A&A fuel system, meth, Circle D built auto trans with 3800 FTI converter, Z06 diff, etc. On 93 and meth making 13 lbs with the t-trim using a 2.95 pulley, it went 9.55 @ 144 with a 1.5 60ft setting the record for the worlds fastest stock bottom end LS3.

Here's the video of the car making the pass.

I did not own the car at the time the pass was made. The car was built by Josh Dodson who is now with A&A corvettes in Cali but was previously the owner of Resurrection Motorsports here in TX which is when he built and tuned the car to what it is. Josh is a super nice guy and extremely knowledgable! We've spoken a few times since i've purchased the car and he has been more than helpful along with the other guys at A&A.

Anyway, I bought the YSi because my T-trim started making a strange noise and i sent it into vortech only to find out it had a bearing going bad which tore up the casing a little. It came off my running car but they deemed it unrepairable and sent it back to me in pieces. I have since given it to a buddy of mine who has a machine shop and access to everything needed to repair it hoping he can salvage it. Damage really isn't that bad at all and the impeller was still perfect so i'm still waiting to hear back on that but im getting impatient and want to get the car back together.

The YSi was the plan 100% to have the room to grow but i hear running it pullied down to keep the stock block safe will actually cost me some power in comparison to the T-trim since its a bigger blower that requires more power to spin it. Once the block is built, its obviously the ideal blower of the two but i can't decide if im better off using the YSi and sacrificing for now or if i should sell it and get the new Ti-Trim and slap it on. I kicked around the restrictor plate idea but i've read threads with a lot of mixed feelings on using them and i've also heard A&A kits don't respond as well with them. Maybe due to the differences between the ECS and A&A inlet piping? I'm really not sure.

What do you guys think i'd be best doing?

If i go YSi, what size blower pulley would i need with the +10& overdrive crank pulley to keep the boost around 13 lbs??

Eventually, i plan to build a forged internal 416 with some PRC heads and maybe a slightly larger blower cam and turn the boost up. But... One thing at a time until i win the lotto. lol Goal is to continue making around 700 on the stock block through the auto and eventually make 850 or so once the motor is built.

I appreciate any help in advance!!

LMK fellas! Thanks!!!

Taylor

Last edited by WickedVetteLT4; 02-11-2013 at 01:28 PM.
Old 02-11-2013, 01:28 PM
lt1z
Melting Slicks

Received 170 Likes on 143 Posts

I'd go Ti trim for s a stock bottom. In fact that is what I plan to replace my Si with.

Did you ever dyno your car at 13 lbs when it trapped 144?
Old 02-11-2013, 01:33 PM
WickedVetteLT4
Melting Slicks

Unfortunately I didn't own the car then. I bought the car from a buddy of mine and i've only made a few changes since i've owned it. I know it was making somewhere around 700 through the auto when it made that pass but i don't have the exact numbers. I'm sure i can find out.

I was actually thinking the Ti-trim might be the better route to go but i don't want to buy two more blowers if i do plan to build the block. I'm not sure what the Ti is capable of in comparison to the YSI. Josh actually suggested the Ti as well. He says the setup on this car is a good combo and he would just slap the Ti-trim on it and retune it.

May sound silly but i love the louder sound of the YSi which is another reason why i'm interested in running it. Not to mention the 8-rib setup would be nice. And although the V3's have the self contained advantage, the V7 would use the motor oil which would make it a little lower maintenance.

Last edited by WickedVetteLT4; 02-11-2013 at 01:39 PM.
Old 02-11-2013, 01:36 PM
lt1z
Melting Slicks

I think the Ti trim will give the best performance on a stock bottom and get you pretty far on a built motor too. Obviously YSi will make more if the motor can take it but it is also not a simple V3 setup. I guess it really depends on your ultimate goals. The YSi on a stock bottom will definitely speed up the process of going to a built motor.

I'm making 715 through an M6 with an Si trim making 10.5 lbs on a 3.5" pulley.
Old 02-11-2013, 01:40 PM
BADZ
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would just install the YSI (future growth) and go with a larger blower pulley until you get the block built. Run 10-13 lbs and mid 700's and make sure you are using meth and the tune is spot on.. It should be fine for a while.
Old 02-11-2013, 01:46 PM
DSteck
Safety Car

Received 83 Likes on 42 Posts
Tech Contributor

A T-trim made 772rwhp on a local LS3 car here... Stock long block (minus cam) and 11psi. The T-trim will make plenty of power to haul the mail. You should really just decide where you want to eventually end up (hard, I know).
Old 02-11-2013, 01:51 PM
WickedVetteLT4
Melting Slicks

Is the V3 system really more simple? I figured the V7 not being self contained would be more simple. I know its more work for installing the lines and such but once installed, keep your motor oil changed and clean and it covers the blower as well. And nice numbers lt1z!!

Badz... Thats why im tempted to just go ahead and run it. I just didn't know what the pros/cons would be in the meantime. I figuring it'll be 6 months or so before the motor is built and i definitely want my bottom end to last. Id be fine making a little less power for now to keep it safe with the advantage of being able to turn it up from there. Seems like the worse choice for now but the better choice in the long run. lol

Dsteck... Nice numbers!! Especially on a stock cam car! Thats obviously on a 6-speed. I'd imagine my power level was very close to that but less at the wheels because of the auto obviously.
Old 02-11-2013, 01:58 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

Do a direct drive while you have it apart and are swapping everything.

I like my Ysi. A 2.85" 7.25" combo made 914rwhp.
Old 02-11-2013, 02:02 PM
lt1z
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by DSteck
A T-trim made 772rwhp on a local LS3 car here... Stock long block (minus cam) and 11psi. The T-trim will make plenty of power to haul the mail. You should really just decide where you want to eventually end up (hard, I know).
The Ti is good for 100 more cfm then a T trim so I think it is a good step up but the YSi is more capable and louder.

For me personally, I like the self contained blower and don't want to push my setup beyond 800 rwhp so the Ti will get me there.

What type of fuel was that local car on Dave? Race gas, E85 or 93+ meth?
Old 02-11-2013, 02:04 PM
WickedVetteLT4
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Unreal
Do a direct drive while you have it apart and are swapping everything.

I like my Ysi. A 2.85" 7.25" combo made 914rwhp.
The car already has a direct drive on it.

Nice!!! What do you have for a bottom end in yours? 7.25" is stock diameter crank pulley right? I believe my 10% overdrive is 8" so I think i'd have to run a 3.25" or so on the supercharger to be around your same boost level. I'm decently knowledgable about all of this stuff but I'm still learning a lot. Hence why I'm looking for help and suggestions to decide which route is best for me.

Thanks for the responses fellas!! :Cheers: Keep em coming!
Old 02-11-2013, 02:08 PM
WickedVetteLT4
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by lt1z
The Ti is good for 100 more cfm then a T trim so I think it is a good step up but the YSi is more capable and louder.

For me personally, I like the self contained blower and don't want to push my setup beyond 800 rwhp so the Ti will get me there.

What type of fuel was that local car on Dave? Race gas, E85 or 93+ meth?
Yeah, Josh said the Ti is a little larger. I hear ya. I'd honestly be happy with 800. I think anything over 900 and its completely useless on the street. Even 800 is a lot but I'd like to be in the 850-900 range when its all said and done.

What are the advantages of self contained vs. oil fed?
Old 02-11-2013, 02:09 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

LSX 427, 9.7:1 comp, PRC285CC LS7 heads.

Yes that is stock size crank. Plan was to swap to a 8.0" lower and 3.1" upper to keep it around the same power but help with belt slip.
Old 02-11-2013, 02:12 PM
WickedVetteLT4
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Unreal
LSX 427, 9.7:1 comp, PRC285CC LS7 heads.

Yes that is stock size crank. Plan was to swap to a 8.0" lower and 3.1" upper to keep it around the same power but help with belt slip.
Very nice setup!! That's why I bought the 8". I was told it would help with belt slip and I found my crank pulley used for a good price so I picked it up.
Old 02-11-2013, 02:13 PM
lt1z
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by WickedVetteLT4

What are the advantages of self contained vs. oil fed?
Just keeps things simple IMO. You change the oil in the blower separately and if something goes in either the motor or blower the garbage doesn't wreck the other component. I also prefer the quietness of the V3 transmission for the street. Making 700+ with helical gears and the stock turbosmart BOV keeps things kinda stealth. Or at least stealth in the way that is looks and sounds more like a 500 rwhp car.

If I wanted more then 800 I would go YSi and not look back but like you said it becomes useless at some point and my car is mainly a street car that gets driven on DRs. True street tires became useless at 550 rwhp.
Old 02-11-2013, 02:17 PM
WickedVetteLT4
Melting Slicks

Lol! I hear ya! Mines not very stealth with the 50mm Tial Q BOV. Haha it's more than noticeable. And the 1-7/8" AR headers, 3" o/r x-pipe and Corsa doesn't help either but it sounds vicious! Lol

That makes sense though as an advantage. I wouldn't want to ruin one and have it send trash into the other.
Old 02-14-2013, 04:31 PM
WickedVetteLT4
Melting Slicks

Well fellas, as on the fence as I was between the Ti-trim and YSi, for the offers I've been getting on my complete brand new YSi setup with brackets and 8-rib, I'd be spending almost the same amount I'd sell it for for the new Ti headunit so it seems pointless to downgrade for the same price.

So... YSi is getting installed Monday. Just need to figure out what size blower pulley I need with a 10% overdrive balancer to keep it on 13 lbs or less. Somewhere around there.
Old 02-14-2013, 07:56 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Boost depends on heads/motor/cam so I would say 3.2-3.4".

Get notified of new replies

To YSi on stock bottom end LS3... HELP AND SUGGESTIONS NEEDED!!

Old 02-14-2013, 08:09 PM
WickedVetteLT4
Melting Slicks

Stock heads and stock block but it has a blower cam, fuel system, meth, 1-7/8" LT's with full 3" corsa, etc.

I just don't wanna push the block too hard with the YSi before I'm ready to build it. 10-12 lbs is fine even though I had it on 13 with the t-trim. I'd rather it last until I'm ready to build it than be running on borrowed time. Lol
Old 02-14-2013, 09:16 PM
Slowsome
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am doing the same set up... I had a ecs ysi on a 416 ls3...... I popped a head gasket and it took out that block... So I put my stock LS3 bottom end back in with the YSI kit, Livernois Heads and Cam, meth, ECS Fuel System, 1 7/8 Kooks, Corsa Sport..... I have the IW OD pulley and I am putting a 3.5 on the blower hoping for around the same boost as you... Hoping to get mine out to drive it this weekend..... When I had this set up with the Novi 2200 it made 765 RWHP....
Old 02-14-2013, 10:10 PM
WickedVetteLT4
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Slowsome
I am doing the same set up... I had a ecs ysi on a 416 ls3...... I popped a head gasket and it took out that block... So I put my stock LS3 bottom end back in with the YSI kit, Livernois Heads and Cam, meth, ECS Fuel System, 1 7/8 Kooks, Corsa Sport..... I have the IW OD pulley and I am putting a 3.5 on the blower hoping for around the same boost as you... Hoping to get mine out to drive it this weekend..... When I had this set up with the Novi 2200 it made 765 RWHP....
Damn! That's my plan but the other way around. Lol I have all of that same stuff but its an A&A kit and I plan to run the stock LS3 block for now until I can afford to build the forged 416 setup.

I talked to Josh at A&A today and he said he would run the 3.5 but he didn't have an exact calculation for the size I'd def need to be where i want to be but he said either that 3.5 or their 3.8 pulley should put me there. He said the +10% overdrive makes choosing the pulley size for the YSi to make 13lbs or less a little difficult cause most people running that crank pulley are looking for big boost.

I plan to drop the car at the shop Monday to have it all done so its decision time so I can get it ordered tomorrow! Lol

Last edited by WickedVetteLT4; 02-14-2013 at 10:12 PM.

Quick Reply: YSi on stock bottom end LS3... HELP AND SUGGESTIONS NEEDED!!