C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

*** Special on Magnuson Heartbeat this Fall **

Old 01-05-2018, 01:11 PM
realcanuk
Le Mans Master

Received 394 Likes on 359 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

93 and meth is more than fine. Don't need to add anything unless you are trying to set some kind of records or something.
Old 01-06-2018, 12:23 AM
CI GS
Le Mans Master

Received 1,110 Likes on 780 Posts

Originally Posted by realcanuk
93 and meth is more than fine. Don't need to add anything unless you are trying to set some kind of records or something.
Me no likey the meth!
Seriously, it’s next to impossible for me to get methanol here. I chased the local VP guy around for about a year after I bought the Alky Control kit (which I bought along with my cam kit from VR) to bring me in a couple of 5 gallons drums of M1, to no avail, until I just gave up and sent the whole kit up to Carson, whereupon some Azzhole in US Customs promptly drilled a number of holes in the pump!
Old 01-06-2018, 12:25 AM
CI GS
Le Mans Master

BTW: Got the heads and the other parts today. The portwork on the heads look fantastic. I’ll post up some pictures tomorrow.
The following 2 users liked this post by CI GS:
Chiselchst (01-06-2018), schpenxel (01-06-2018)
Old 01-07-2018, 08:34 AM
CI GS
Le Mans Master

Okay here’s some close-up shots of the ports and combustion chamber on the heads, as well as a shot of the intake bowl with the valve removed (apologies for the shoddy photography):
Attached Images     
The following users liked this post:
scottg (01-07-2018)
Old 01-07-2018, 09:05 AM
CI GS
Le Mans Master

So far I’ve had a couple of setbacks, other than the lifters.
Firstly, I managed to phuque up the very first valve seal that I installed, by getting overzealous with trying to make sure it was bottomed out, since I’ve read about these things popping off the guide. I stupidly forgot to order the BTR installation tool, which would have easily avoided this.
BTW, I’ve always wondered why everyone isn’t using an integrated seat and seal like the stock GM setup, because this not only makes installation much easier, but there’s no way the seal can pop off the guide, because the valve spring pressure will keep it seated against the head. The stock GM one can’t be used with the dual springs, since it has a hump at the bottom that will interfere with the inner spring. But I’ve now discovered that Texas Speed has such a retainer for dual valve springs. See here:
https://www.texas-speed.com/p-6283-p...e-springs.aspx
I just don’t know if this can work with all dual springs and specifically the BTR 650 HD springs I’m going to be using now.
Secondly, and this really gets me, because it’s not my fault, one of the LS9 Head gaskets is slightly damaged. I noticed that one of the gaskets, both of came in a plastic/cardboard sheath, had its packaging opened on one end, as if it had been opened and the gasket removed and reinserted. When I removed it, I noticed that some of the rubber sealant around the bore had the surface scuffed and was scored in one place (see pics below), so I’m a little worried that it will leak. It’s not badly damaged, but clearly the integrity of the rubber seal has been compromised. The problem may have been that these gaskets were sitting in the bottom of the box the BTR packaged them in and there was a box of valvesprings and the ARP bolts sitting directly in top of them, with nothing between them, and no bubble wrap, etc. so they could’ve slip around during shipment and scuffed the gaskets, since there wouldn’t be anything other than a thin piece of plastic between them.
So, it looks like I need to order another couple of valve seals (so I’ll have one to spare), another gasket and a seal install tool, as well as the Johnson 2110 lifters, which I’ve decided to wait on. I’m going to call BTR first thing tomorrow and see what they say. Here’s what the gasket looks like. What do you guys think? Am I being too **** (again)?
Attached Images    
Old 01-07-2018, 09:30 AM
realcanuk
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '13

I don't think that gasket is an issue, but if you are ordering lifters anyways, you might sleep better by getting a new one. LOL.

Those TSP valve seals seem to have a very limited application. Spring diameter, guides, etc etc.
Using a deep socket to install the seals works fine. Them coming off isn't that common if the right seals for the guides are used. Very light taps until they JUST bottom out. NO EXTRA WACKS.
CI GS (01-07-2018)
Old 01-07-2018, 10:41 AM
CI GS
Le Mans Master

I don't think that gasket is an issue, but if you are ordering lifters anyways, you might sleep better by getting a new one. LOL.

Those TSP valve seals seem to have a very limited application. Spring diameter, guides, etc etc.
Using a deep socket to install the seals works fine. Them coming off isn't that common if the right seals for the guides are used. Very light taps until they JUST bottom out. NO EXTRA WACKS.
Thanks Jody. I don’t think the gasket will leak either, but after doing all this work for a leaky gasket that I can’t see any obvious signs of damage (except rust - WTF is up with that, GM?) I just don’t want to take any chances.
The TSP seals actually look like they would work with most, if not all, of the standard diameter springs, because they are much narrower at the bottom than the stock ones. I’ll take a picture and post it up later so you can see what I’m talking about. The concept is better though, IMV. I like the idea of the spring seat and seal all being in one piece, like the OEM version.
Yep, I was using the very same 10mm 3/8” drive socket I used, without any issue, to install all of the BTR seals on the stock heads back when I installed the cam. It was indeed the last few taps that did it. When I pulled the socket off, the damn retainer spring was damaged.
I guess my late father was right, he always told me I could never leave well enough alone...
Old 01-07-2018, 12:44 PM
Woodstoc
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by CI GS
Thanks Jody. I don’t think the gasket will leak either, but after doing all this work for a leaky gasket that I can’t see any obvious signs of damage (except rust - WTF is up with that, GM?) I just don’t want to take any chances.
The TSP seals actually look like they would work with most, if not all, of the standard diameter springs, because they are much narrower at the bottom than the stock ones. I’ll take a picture and post it up later so you can see what I’m talking about. The concept is better though, IMV. I like the idea of the spring seat and seal all being in one piece, like the OEM version.
Yep, I was using the very same 10mm 3/8” drive socket I used, without any issue, to install all of the BTR seals on the stock heads back when I installed the cam. It was indeed the last few taps that did it. When I pulled the socket off, the damn retainer spring was damaged.
I guess my late father was right, he always told me I could never leave well enough alone...
Just a glutton for punishment, aren't you? You still don't have anywhere to drive that thing.....lol.
Old 01-07-2018, 04:08 PM
scottg
Burning Brakes

Received 187 Likes on 126 Posts

Sure he does Woodstoc. He will have the 8th mile Drag strip that's going to open up soon I hope. Might save on his test runs . I Googled That island, not a lot of places to hide on from the local enforcers. Sammy might end up contributing to the peace officers fund raising coffers.

Last edited by scottg; 01-07-2018 at 04:13 PM.
Old 01-07-2018, 07:20 PM
CI GS
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Woodstoc
Just a glutton for punishment, aren't you? You still don't have anywhere to drive that thing.....lol.
Aaah, shaddup! At least I don’t drive around naked in my Corvette. Besides, you never got to see my “Mexican” road. I’ve gotten it up to 143 on that stretch. Hypothetically speaking, of course.
When you take your next vacation down here, I’ll take you for a real run.
Old 01-07-2018, 07:33 PM
CI GS
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by scottg
Sure he does Woodstoc. He will have the 8th mile Drag strip that's going to open up soon I hope. Might save on his test runs . I Googled That island, not a lot of places to hide on from the local enforcers. Sammy might end up contributing to the peace officers fund raising coffers.
That makes two of us. We’re hoping to be running again soon. It’s not the Zmax, but we’ll make due with it. I’ve run more 5 second runs on it than I could count with my old race car, even though I could never get it to hook properly. Here’s a video of me beating “the unbeatable” Dean Shaw from Jamaica back in 2011 with my old homemade 2000 Camaro. Dean”s car runs low 8s in the 1/4 in Jamaica.
m60gov20 (11-29-2023)
Old 01-08-2018, 06:40 AM
scottg
Burning Brakes

Very nice.
Old 01-08-2018, 09:06 AM
CI GS
Le Mans Master

Got all of the valvesprings done last night, except the last two, since I need to get another valve seal.
I will see if I can find a seal locally today. Found out from the marking on the seals and doing a little online dredging that it’s a US Seal-EOK # VS-806V, so I’ll see if I can find one or a cross-referenced part from another manufacturer. Failing that, I’ll order a few new ones. Need to make a few phone calls to find out who has these unicorn status Johnson 2110 lifters and order a new head gasket at the same time. I checked the box the gasket came in and, sure enough, it has CI Customs inspection tape on it, so it was probably one of our fine retards here that fukked up my gasket. Customs are azzholes everywhere, it seems.
Attached Images  

Last edited by CI GS; 01-09-2018 at 08:16 AM.
Old 01-08-2018, 09:13 AM
CI GS
Le Mans Master

Got the block mostly cleaned up, except for 6 pistons, which I need to rotate the engine to get. I’ve found out that the best thing for cleaning carbon of the pistons quickly is non-scratch scotch-brite pads and some WD-40. It’s a bit messy - you need to keep wiping away the dirty oil with shop towels, but man, does it work good. The piston in the photo took me maybe 4 minutes to get it that clean.
For the deck surface, I used WD-40 and a soft, brass bristle wire brush, then wiped it with the non-scratch scotch-brite. I tried carefully using a scraper on the other side, but stopped after a managed to make a few tiny scratch marks on the deck surface. No bueno.
Attached Images  
Old 01-08-2018, 10:55 AM
realcanuk
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '13

Funny.... everyone has their methods. I would never use a wire brush and scotchbrite, but that's just me.

Always use razor blades, (carefully), brake cleaner, and soft rags... does the job.
Old 01-08-2018, 01:14 PM
CI GS
Le Mans Master

Funny.... everyone has their methods. I would never use a wire brush and scotchbrite, but that's just me.

Always use razor blades, (carefully), brake cleaner, and soft rags... does the job.
The wire brush I’m using has very fine soft brass bristles, and the scotchbrite purports to be “scratch-proof’. Neither one leaves any scratches. I tried using the razor blade, very carefully, which is tedious, and it still left a few small scratches. If you look closely at the top of the #2 piston, you’ll see where I scratched it by trying to use the razor blade. The scotchbrite and WD40 made short work of that carbon, without a single scratch.
Old 01-08-2018, 05:56 PM
scottg
Burning Brakes

I never realized how big the water pump is. Thanks

Get notified of new replies

To *** Special on Magnuson Heartbeat this Fall **

Old 01-08-2018, 07:02 PM
CI GS
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by scottg
I never realized how big the water pump is. Thanks
What is amazing is how small that block is.
Old 01-08-2018, 07:10 PM
CI GS
Le Mans Master

Tooley’s friggin’ rocks! I called them today at 1:24pm, found out that they had just restocked the 2110 lifters. It wasn’t showing up as in stock online as yet, so the guy took my order over the phone for a set of the 2110s, a new gasket and 3 new valve seals. Within minutes, I had an email confirmation of my order and before 4:00pm I got an email with a tracking number showing that my parts had shipped!
I should have those in my hands by Wednesday afternoon.
BTR, FTW!
Old 01-09-2018, 08:21 AM
CI GS
Le Mans Master

Finished cleaning up the deck and pistons last night. Will give it a thorough going over with Brakekleen tonight and start fitting it up.
The lifters, seals and gasket are in Miami as of a half hour ago, so I should have them in my hands by this afternoon.
Forgot to mention that when I told the guy that I had one gasket that had beeen damaged by local customs, he even gave me a discount on the gasket.
Attached Images  

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: *** Special on Magnuson Heartbeat this Fall **