C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

*** Special on Magnuson Heartbeat this Fall **

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2018, 03:22 AM
chuntington101
Melting Slicks

Received 113 Likes on 100 Posts

Can't you setup a simple trigger wheel on you pulley? Can't see it being mega difficult. How do they do it on turbos?
Old 06-14-2018, 02:36 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

Received 1,194 Likes on 1,053 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Am I going to have to come down to that island and rig up a way to measure RPM on that blower of yours?

It would def. be interesting to see a comparison between that vs. engine RPM to see much it is or isn't slipping. Sounds like it is, though...

Last edited by schpenxel; 06-14-2018 at 02:36 PM.
Old 06-15-2018, 12:45 AM
CI GS
Le Mans Master

Received 1,110 Likes on 780 Posts

Originally Posted by Chiselchst
I'd love to have the ability to record blower shaft speed vs. crank speed vs. boost on a chart. I'm curious what would be revealed if we had an extremely accurate tach on the blower shaft. I'd love to know what that Maggie shaft speed is...compared to the crank.
Any guesses or thoughts?
Now you’re talking. So would I. Wonder if I could get someone to build me a blower pulley with flying magnets so I could use a crank trigger to read rpms??
Hell, I’d settle for someone building me an 8-rib 3.2” pulley. GripTech people, you listening?
On my setup, with an 8” crank pulley and a 3.2” blower pulley, that works out to a 2.5:1 ratio, so @ 6800rpm, the blower shaft should be turning exactly 17,000rpm, well below what the Camaro and Caddy guys are turning these blowers. Maybe, just maybe, next time out, I can get this sucker to make some solid boost. If not, I’m going squirt some LC7 Track Bite on the belt and see how that works.

Last edited by CI GS; 06-15-2018 at 08:16 AM.
Old 06-15-2018, 12:51 AM
CI GS
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by schpenxel
Am I going to have to come down to that island and rig up a way to measure RPM on that blower of yours?

It would def. be interesting to see a comparison between that vs. engine RPM to see much it is or isn't slipping. Sounds like it is, though...
Come on down, son! You致e been threatening to do that long enough anyhow.
It would be good to see a comparison between engine and blower rpm for sure.
But I dunno how else I can explain the boost wavering up and down like it does. I致e checked out the obvious stuff, like the bypass valve, which I now have connected to a boost port to use boost to hold it shut @ WOT. Must be that the belt is slipping, no?
Old 06-15-2018, 01:19 AM
Chiselchst
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 387 Likes on 286 Posts

I edited my original post regarding the tachometer on the blower shaft. I'd actually looked at quite a few including laser speed indicators, Etc. But I'm practicing brevity so I didn't post all that crap. In a Refinery or in the oil industry we have redundant speed indicators on everything, Plus portable tachs and I get spoiled with the ability to monitor every variable on every piece of equipment. So when I win the lotto, not only will I build you a custom 10 rib setup, it'll come with a redundant highly accurate tachometer. Not that that would stop you from tinkering with your car LOL. They actually do have some really cool high-tech miniature speed indicators
The following users liked this post:
CI GS (06-15-2018)
Old 06-15-2018, 11:09 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by CI GS
Come on down, son! You致e been threatening to do that long enough anyhow.
It would be good to see a comparison between engine and blower rpm for sure.
But I dunno how else I can explain the boost wavering up and down like it does. I致e checked out the obvious stuff, like the bypass valve, which I now have connected to a boost port to use boost to hold it shut @ WOT. Must be that the belt is slipping, no?
I don't know when I can fit it in the list at this point.. I really would like to get down there. I went from never traveling to going non stop. Just got back from Paris/Barcelona/Rome. And have Portland (Maine), Portland (Oregon), Sacramento, Costa Rica this year. And Hawaii, Japan/South Korea, Arizona, New Orleans, Atlanta, San Diego, Charleston, DC and Ocean City for next year so far

But yeah, I do think it's belt slip in your case.. I really wish that ECS tensioner had worked out. It's strong as ****, no doubt about that..
Old 06-16-2018, 12:08 AM
CI GS
Le Mans Master

I don't know when I can fit it in the list at this point.. I really would like to get down there. I went from never traveling to going non stop. Just got back from Paris/Barcelona/Rome. And have Portland (Maine), Portland (Oregon), Sacramento, Costa Rica this year. And Hawaii, Japan/South Korea, Arizona, New Orleans, Atlanta, San Diego, Charleston, DC and Ocean City for next year so far

But yeah, I do think it's belt slip in your case.. I really wish that ECS tensioner had worked out. It's strong as ****, no doubt about that..
Holy *****! Did you take a job as a flight attendant or what?!
Maybe I値l try that ECS tensioner on there again someday soon. In fact, if this doesn稚 cure it now, that痴 what I知 going to do. I really do believe that if I had changed the S/S bolts in the ICT manual tensioner out for some stronger grade 8+ hardware, it would致e worked.
Safe travels, old buddy. We値l catch up someday.
Old 06-18-2018, 08:19 AM
schpenxel
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '15

Holy *****! Did you take a job as a flight attendant or what?!
Maybe I値l try that ECS tensioner on there again someday soon. In fact, if this doesn稚 cure it now, that痴 what I知 going to do. I really do believe that if I had changed the S/S bolts in the ICT manual tensioner out for some stronger grade 8+ hardware, it would致e worked.
Safe travels, old buddy. We値l catch up someday.
Good deal.. yeah, I think if you can get that manual tensioner to stop moving around that ECS setup should work. The ECS one is a beast of a tensioner for sure.

Haha, nah, just figured out how to get a **** load of airline points so most of the travel has been free or close to it (and found a new gf that likes to travel too). We have like 250K points so far, and a companion pass with Southwest, so every time one of us buys a ticket the other gets one for free. So, sounds like a good enough reason to fly around to me

Now if I just had more vacation days
Old 06-18-2018, 10:04 AM
CI GS
Le Mans Master

Good deal.. yeah, I think if you can get that manual tensioner to stop moving around that ECS setup should work. The ECS one is a beast of a tensioner for sure.

Haha, nah, just figured out how to get a **** load of airline points so most of the travel has been free or close to it (and found a new gf that likes to travel too). We have like 250K points so far, and a companion pass with Southwest, so every time one of us buys a ticket the other gets one for free. So, sounds like a good enough reason to fly around to me

Now if I just had more vacation days
Good stuff. Glad to see that you致e moved on and are getting around!
The only lingering doubt that I have about the ECS tensioner is the longevity of the WP pulley. Because that really is an HD tensioner. I致e seen several cases on here where on centri setups the WP pulley has broken at the factory weld, and the usual advice is given that they should be welded to the shaft, but I don稚 see how that helps when they break in the factory weld.
So, I知 going to consider some aftermarket water pump setups and maybe that might facilitate me getting IW to replace the pulley on my balancer with a larger one too.
Old 06-18-2018, 10:11 AM
schpenxel
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '15

Sounds good.. Yeah I've seen a few of the broken water pump threads lately. I guess I've just been lucky and haven't broken any, though the bearings in my old one sure didn't last long once I put the SC on... with your luck though, it's sure to break during the first WOT run

I don't see how the weld would help with the breaking issue either honestly. I can understand it stopping the pulley from coming off the shaft, but not the breaking issue that happens in a slightly different spot. But what do I know?

Ah well, best of luck it. One of these days I'll get back into working on mine. For now I think I just need to clean the air filter, that's about as in depth as I'm getting

Last edited by schpenxel; 06-18-2018 at 10:11 AM.
Old 06-18-2018, 12:25 PM
chuntington101
Melting Slicks

Re the water pumps, how long have they been on there when they fail? Surely it's just a case of replacing them more regularly?
Old 06-18-2018, 01:13 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '15

Mine had like 150K on it when bearings were going out.. so not really a big deal, seems like every bearing on the car failed around then though. Replaced 3 wheel bearings, alternator bearing went out, water pump bearing, power steering pump bearing, throw out bearing, torque tube bearings, pilot bearing... are there any more sealed bearings on this thing?

Replaced it and it's been fine ever since, I'm about to hit 200K.

The concern is more the pulley breaking than the bearing issue I had

Last edited by schpenxel; 06-18-2018 at 01:15 PM.
Old 06-18-2018, 04:06 PM
chuntington101
Melting Slicks

I know a lot of the Porsche guys take the likes of water pumps and other bearings as consumerable items and replace after X years. I guess that's the best approach rather than waiting for failure...
Old 06-19-2018, 08:39 AM
CI GS
Le Mans Master

Edelbrock offers an option for the LS3 now, with the outlet on the left side, so that we don’t have to take off the upper rad hose to change a belt. It’s a bit pricey though (~$400), especially since you have to buy the pulley separately for an additional ~$125.
That’s still better than paying well over $850 for the LS3 version of the Meziere.
Here’s the new line of pumps that Edelbrock put out last summer:
http://www.edelbrock.com/media/news/...ve/081017.html

Last edited by CI GS; 06-19-2018 at 09:06 AM.
Chiselchst (06-20-2018)
Old 06-20-2018, 01:23 PM
Chiselchst
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Would that Edelbrock pump eliminate the need to grind down that one surface for proper clearance when using the ESC tensioner - or was that on the block?

Is there concern of other drive accessories failing due to much higher lateral loads? OEM belt tensioner load has to be designed/factored in for all the drive accessories, and there's normally a "cushion" in that engineering...maybe that's enough?
The stuff we do for HP

Edelbrock offers an option for the LS3 now, with the outlet on the left side, so that we don’t have to take off the upper rad hose to change a belt. It’s a bit pricey though (~$400), especially since you have to buy the pulley separately for an additional ~$125.
That’s still better than paying well over $850 for the LS3 version of the Meziere.
Here’s the new line of pumps that Edelbrock put out last summer:
http://www.edelbrock.com/media/news/...ve/081017.html

Last edited by Chiselchst; 06-20-2018 at 01:28 PM.
Old 06-20-2018, 11:03 PM
CI GS
Le Mans Master

Edelbrock #8894

Stock C6 LS3 pump
Would that Edelbrock pump eliminate the need to grind down that one surface for proper clearance when using the ESC tensioner - or was that on the block?

Is there concern of other drive accessories failing due to much higher lateral loads? OEM belt tensioner load has to be designed/factored in for all the drive accessories, and there's normally a "cushion" in that engineering...maybe that's enough?
The stuff we do for HP
The Edelbrock #8894 LS3 pump has the same bolt bosses that caused me grief when I installed the ECS tensioner on my car (see photos below of that pump and the stock LS3 pump), so those would need to be cut off for the ECS tensioner to work on one of our HB setups. The ECS HD tensioner has a far higher belt tension than the stock tensioner. I have no idea what that does in terms of load on accessories, but there痴 obviously a lot of folks that run them on the centri setups without complaint. My only worry would be the stock WP pulley, since I致e seen many pictures of where they致e broken the factory weld.
Yeah, no kidding about the effort we expend on getting a little more HP. There痴 only one thing that I can think of that痴 a greater motivator...

Last edited by CI GS; 06-20-2018 at 11:03 PM.
Chiselchst (06-21-2018)
Old 06-21-2018, 04:45 PM
Chiselchst
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Oh, got it. As always, thanks Sammy...a picture is worth a 1,000 words. Looks so simple, there on the bench. I can only imagine the difficulty when grinding on that puppy while mounted to the engine block of a C6!

(BTW, FWIW I installed a Hyperco front transverse leaf (625# track spring) on my front to gain the option of increase ride height, as I rubbed everywhere. That track spring with the 38mm bar up front it's an absolute beast on the twisties. Especially with Toyo R888R's.)

Get notified of new replies

To *** Special on Magnuson Heartbeat this Fall **

Old 06-21-2018, 05:10 PM
Chiselchst
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

message removed - problem with posting
Is it me, or did this forum software become *funkier*...?
I can't delete post, etc.

Last edited by Chiselchst; 06-21-2018 at 05:15 PM.
Old 06-21-2018, 05:12 PM
Chiselchst
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Sammy,I tried sending you a PM, but it didn't go through, I think because I attached a picture? Not sure..Would you be willing to take these items if I shipped them to you? I don't have any use for them, I am done with my project and they are just sitting in a tool box.Only catch is you can't send me a bill if you do something crazy with them...

Old 06-22-2018, 01:11 AM
CI GS
Le Mans Master

Sammy,I tried sending you a PM, but it didn't go through, I think because I attached a picture? Not sure..Would you be willing to take these items if I shipped them to you? I don't have any use for them, I am done with my project and they are just sitting in a tool box.Only catch is you can't send me a bill if you do something crazy with them...
Dunno what痴 up with the PM. I知 pretty sure I have space for additional messages. I値l check on it now. This new CF format is taking some getting used to, I have to say.
Where do those panels go again? In the ashtray area? I just today took delivery of an RSD Line Lock, so I知 going to have to find a spot to put the activator button. Will probably just do a curly cord and stash it in the ashtray area though. Thanks for the offer man, but I wouldn稚 want you to have to incur the shipping costs of sending those all the way over here to me. Maybe I値l swing by the next time I知 in your neck of the woods. I値l bring you a nice brand new 81mm pulley to trade!
Chiselchst (06-22-2018)

Quick Reply: *** Special on Magnuson Heartbeat this Fall **