C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

*** Special on Magnuson Heartbeat this Fall **

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2019, 10:26 AM
CI GS
Le Mans Master

Received 1,110 Likes on 780 Posts

Originally Posted by Garymorris
Ha, thanks for the offer but I have a well stocked cabinet as well...81, 90 and 96mm heartbeat pulleys with belts plus 3 lower balancer pullies and belts from my old ZL1 I still need to sell lol. The 79 won't gain me much but I'm trying to get 10psi at altitude without having to swap to an overdrive balancer because I'm lazy and I stupidly replaced it with a stock size one last year because "I won't need an OD drive". I hit about 9psi now so this should do it.
Haha! Yeah, this pulley and belt thing can get out of hand in a hurry. The OD balancer would’ve been your best bet for sure. I wish that we could somehow just bolt on a larger lower pulley like they do on the ZL1s.
Old 03-16-2019, 03:04 PM
CI GS
Le Mans Master

I rang ECS this morning, to order a new tensioner, but I forgot that they don’t open on Saturday.
So, I sent an email to Chris, who’s always been very helpful, and was surprised when he responded right away and said that he would get the order sorted for me on Monday.

Update: I sent an email to Chris again on Monday, but haven’t heard anything back from him, so it looks like I won’t be getting this thing fixed anytime soon.

Last edited by CI GS; 03-21-2019 at 08:20 AM.
Old 03-16-2019, 05:36 PM
Turbo6TA
Race Director

Received 3,088 Likes on 2,078 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

CI GS ....

Good news !
Old 03-16-2019, 06:39 PM
old motorhead
Le Mans Master

Received 1,339 Likes on 947 Posts

Ya know, sometimes I feel sorry for Sammy. All the trials and tribulations he's been through. Then, I think that the dude is living in paradise, living large, and playing with a nice running Vette. Hmmmm. Maybe, just maybe, he's one REALLY lucky guy. Or, shoot, maybe I'm looking at this all wrong.....I'm going to have a scotch with very little water, and ponder this a bit.
Old 03-16-2019, 07:21 PM
scottg
Burning Brakes

Received 187 Likes on 126 Posts

that is a very good idea Rodney.
Old 03-16-2019, 09:03 PM
CI GS
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by old motorhead
Ya know, sometimes I feel sorry for Sammy. All the trials and tribulations he's been through. Then, I think that the dude is living in paradise, living large, and playing with a nice running Vette. Hmmmm. Maybe, just maybe, he's one REALLY lucky guy. Or, shoot, maybe I'm looking at this all wrong.....I'm going to have a scotch with very little water, and ponder this a bit.
Haahahahaha! You know what Rodney, I experience that very same conundrum every day!
And after skinning a few more knuckles this afternoon installing the ZL1 H/X pump, which I finally abandoned when I realized that I needed a bit more hose (that’s always a bad problem to have!!), I decided that I’m going to the bar across the road and try to drown my stupidity in about a gallon of Zacapa.
Old 03-18-2019, 12:29 AM
CI GS
Le Mans Master

Finished up the ZL1 H/X pump install this afternoon. Judging by the pressure of the coolant coming through the return in the reservoir, that little pump is noticeably stronger than the Bosch. Before it just sort of flowed into the reservoir and now it spouts a solid stream of coolant right across the top of the tank. I’m hoping that will help keep the IATs down. Fired the car up too and the belt squeal is no more. I ran it for a bit to add coolant and checked for coolant leaks, etc.
The only leak I see PS oil on the bottom of the damn power steering pump!
Gotta try to figure out what the problem is there now...

ZL1 HX pump. Had to jerry rig it a bit to get it to work, but it fits decent.

Not sure if the oil leaking from the fitting or from the big low pressure hose from the P/S reservoir and then draining down the pump body and pooling around the fitting. All I know if that if I have to pull the PS pump off this frickin car again, I’ll probably have a stroke.
Old 03-18-2019, 10:32 AM
schpenxel
Race Director

Received 1,194 Likes on 1,053 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Don't burn it down Sammy, not yet anyways. At least make sure there's no evidence pointing back to you first

Man power steering leaks are annoying. Hopefully it's a simple one to find/fix. Seems like you've about the got belt situation and pump as good as they're going to get...

I always wondered if it was possible to stuff one of those BMW electric water pumps in there (though, it'd probably only last 3 months before it started leaking everywhere with the **** seals they use), but I bet they can move a ton of water. Not sure how difficult it is to control one, though.
Old 03-18-2019, 10:46 AM
CI GS
Le Mans Master

Nah, I only have myself to blame for all the **** I've encountered with this car, well, at least most of it. I like challenging myself by doing **** that no one else does. Not very smart, I accept, but it does keep me busy anyhow...

I'm hoping the ECS tensioner works, but given my luck, I've already assumed it won't, so I'm already busy figuring out how to relocate the HX hose outputs (I still have the manifolds from the Corvette lid) and trying to figure out how/where to relocate the power steering reservoir to, so that I can stick that big, ugly Magnuson tensioner on it. That sumbitch is very strong and has more range than any spring loaded tensioner I've ever seen, so if I can get that to fit, it should easily address any belt slip issues I have. It is friggin fugly though.
Old 03-18-2019, 11:29 AM
old motorhead
Le Mans Master

I know this is going to sound crazy, but how 'bout putting an 84 or 87mm pulley on the blower and just enjoy the hell out of your Vette? It will still run strong. And, maybe, just maybe, all of your belt issues would be over. Then add the naaaaaawz to your heart's content.
The following users liked this post:
CI GS (03-18-2019)
Old 03-18-2019, 11:43 AM
CI GS
Le Mans Master

I know this is going to sound crazy, but how 'bout putting an 84 or 87mm pulley on the blower and just enjoy the hell out of your Vette? It will still run strong. And, maybe, just maybe, all of your belt issues would be over. Then add the naaaaaawz to your heart's content.
You're right, that DOES sound crazy!
And I'm not going to buy another single pulley for this blower, ever. Nada. No more. Done! Same goes for the tensioners, except that I'll replace the ECS one that I broke. If it don't work with what I've got now, it'll have to slip while I spray the **** out of it. Or maybe I'll just squirt some Ultra Blue track compound on the beetch. I have a gallon sitting in my garage right now. That ought take care of the belt slip.
I mean, Rodney, how do you come up with these crazy ideas, anyhow??

Last edited by CI GS; 03-18-2019 at 11:44 AM.
Old 03-18-2019, 12:26 PM
old motorhead
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by CI GS
You're right, that DOES sound crazy!
And I'm not going to buy another single pulley for this blower, ever. Nada. No more. Done! Same goes for the tensioners, except that I'll replace the ECS one that I broke. If it don't work with what I've got now, it'll have to slip while I spray the **** out of it. Or maybe I'll just squirt some Ultra Blue track compound on the beetch. I have a gallon sitting in my garage right now. That ought take care of the belt slip.
I mean, Rodney, how do you come up with these crazy ideas, anyhow??
That's about the EXACT reply I was expecting. You're consistent, I'll give you that!!!
Old 03-18-2019, 01:50 PM
CI GS
Le Mans Master

That's about the EXACT reply I was expecting. You're consistent, I'll give you that!!!
Old 03-20-2019, 01:32 PM
ls1wolf
Burning Brakes

Received 188 Likes on 111 Posts

So any of you that are considering a ZR1 Synergy intake system with the heartbeat, it "somewhat" works.. Not exactly as clean as I would like, and the POS coupler I used to mock it up just isn't going to work. I'm going to need something else to make it work and have no idea what to use.. Ideas?

The pics below show that with the stock rad bridge, it hits in a certain spot... I noticed a few of the ZR1 guys have the same issues. I really prefer not to take the bridge off as it just doesn't look as clean. But dam this filter is huge!

Old 03-20-2019, 01:35 PM
ls1wolf
Burning Brakes

OK double post...

Then I'm trying to figure out where to put this MM can... Because I have an 08, unlike Sammy and most of the rest of you - the water pump inlet location is different. So I can't put it where Sammy did. I'm thinking maybe up in front of the rad, behind the bumper - mount it to the frame? It might just work.

Old 03-20-2019, 01:36 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

I put mine in the fender. Out of the way.
Old 03-20-2019, 01:54 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

The following users liked this post:
CI GS (03-20-2019)

Get notified of new replies

To *** Special on Magnuson Heartbeat this Fall **

Old 03-20-2019, 02:28 PM
ls1wolf
Burning Brakes

yep, was thinking that was an option as well. Could just run a line down to drain it once a year. I can't imagine it will be a monthly occurrence?
Old 03-20-2019, 02:53 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

You can see where I did my drain line. It is exposed and just reach under, turn it and done. Simpler than draining it in the engine bay or removing can.
Old 03-20-2019, 03:16 PM
CI GS
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by ls1wolf
So any of you that are considering a ZR1 Synergy intake system with the heartbeat, it "somewhat" works.. Not exactly as clean as I would like, and the POS coupler I used to mock it up just isn't going to work. I'm going to need something else to make it work and have no idea what to use.. Ideas?

The pics below show that with the stock rad bridge, it hits in a certain spot... I noticed a few of the ZR1 guys have the same issues. I really prefer not to take the bridge off as it just doesn't look as clean. But dam this filter is huge!

Hmmn, the Synergy looks like it fits a little bit better than my Vibrant 4.5” 45* elbow homemade Intake pipe. That bellows looks just like the “accordion” one that I used to mock up my homemade 4.5 inlet. Here’s what I have now:
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/vpe-2837

BTW: It just dawned on me that the filter on the synergy looks just like the one I have that came with my Halltech MF103. Now you got me thinking....
I wish I could find a coupler that would enable me to use Greg Kong’s 5” intake. That is a serious looking piece. That Kong guy knows what he’s doing.

Last edited by CI GS; 03-20-2019 at 03:20 PM.

Quick Reply: *** Special on Magnuson Heartbeat this Fall **