C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

*** Special on Magnuson Heartbeat this Fall **

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2019, 08:22 AM
MickVette
Burning Brakes

Received 188 Likes on 138 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by CI GS
Yeah, this thread has become a veritable tome of Heartbeat blower related (and lots of unrelated) bullshit, LOL.
The ZR1 uses a totally different pulley system. Would love if it we could use that pulley system on these blowers.
What are you looking for boost/power -wise? Are you running the stock cam? Heads? What kind of fuel will you run and were you planning to use meth?
If you simply want a strong pump gas street car, a 10% OD 8 rib setup with a 3.4” Griptech upper should make way more power on a built 427 than you can use safely on the street, even with drag radials, without any belt slip issues.
I am hoping the Heartbeat kit is a good plug and play then upgrade as I get the engine dialed in and power needs go up. I was also hoping the heartbeat system is solid like the COPO Camaro set upwhich uses Magnuson superchargers and they really spin the heck out of them successfully.

I race mostly 1/2 mile so I was looking to get around 20 psi of boost on race day, street duty it doesn't matter much. The engine is still waiting for the crankshaft to be built and will have dual 3/16" key ways for the balancer. It will be a 444.7ci ~10.0:1cr. The heads are stock ported by AI with Katech Mo/Ti intake and exhaust valves with rail style rockers. We haven't started designing the camshaft yet. I spray lots of methanol, and will be using flex fuel or race gas during events. This is not a dedicated race car so I'm on the fence with stealing the twin turbos off my other car (not Vette) but don't have time to build another turbo kit especially since the C6 Z06 chassis and components have limited free space and the build would be very time consuming. It would be nice to eventually end up with the 2650 low profile kit (once it comes out) feeding this engine even if that would require a different hood. I do have the shorter motor mounts to help with clearance with the 2300.

Do you know what the biggest hurdle is that we can't adopt the ZR1 pulley system? Is it the Magnuson driven pulley placement (depth)?

Last edited by MickVette; 04-25-2019 at 08:42 AM.
Old 04-25-2019, 09:40 AM
CI GS
Le Mans Master

Received 1,110 Likes on 780 Posts

Originally Posted by MickVette
I am hoping the Heartbeat kit is a good plug and play then upgrade as I get the engine dialed in and power needs go up. I was also hoping the heartbeat system is solid like the COPO Camaro set upwhich uses Magnuson superchargers and they really spin the heck out of them successfully.

I race mostly 1/2 mile so I was looking to get around 20 psi of boost on race day, street duty it doesn't matter much. The engine is still waiting for the crankshaft to be built and will have dual 3/16" key ways for the balancer. It will be a 444.7ci ~10.0:1cr. The heads are stock ported by AI with Katech Mo/Ti intake and exhaust valves with rail style rockers. We haven't started designing the camshaft yet. I spray lots of methanol, and will be using flex fuel or race gas during events. This is not a dedicated race car so I'm on the fence with stealing the twin turbos off my other car (not Vette) but don't have time to build another turbo kit especially since the C6 Z06 chassis and components have limited free space and the build would be very time consuming. It would be nice to eventually end up with the 2650 low profile kit (once it comes out) feeding this engine even if that would require a different hood. I do have the shorter motor mounts to help with clearance with the 2300.

Do you know what the biggest hurdle is that we can't adopt the ZR1 pulley system? Is it the Magnuson driven pulley placement (depth)?
There’s no way that you’re going to get 20 psi out of this blower, especially on that size engine. You would probably be lucky to see 12psi, IMV. The 2650 might be a good option, IF they ever come out with a kit that can fit the Vette that isn’t pulley and throttle body limited like the Heartbeat. But I wouldn’t even bet on that based on their track record. Magnuson has really failed to support the C6 crowd, despite their promises of throttle body upgrades and pulley options. The Achilles heel of this system is the tensioner which they simply failed to offer any upgrade for, so once you pulley down to make real boost on these things
you're going to experience slip, because that tiny stock tensioner doesn’t have the range or tension necessary to keep the belt taut enough.
For that kind of build, I personally would do an ECS 2200 setup or a Procharger setup.
And as far as turbos go, I’ve seen enough C6 turbo builds on here to never want to go that route. These cars just don’t have the space to accommodate all the plumbing, especially for a twin turbo setup, IMHO.
Old 04-25-2019, 08:02 PM
ls1wolf
Burning Brakes

Received 188 Likes on 111 Posts

Definetly no way to get 20lbs out of this heartbeat.

Well brian at SCOL is dangerous. I told him I wanted more boost with the E setup.... with the IW 10% and now this pulley.... going from an 3.4” with stock HB to this setup. I’m hoping I’m not going to far.... currently at 7.5psi

Old 04-25-2019, 08:42 PM
Chiselchst
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 387 Likes on 286 Posts

Originally Posted by ls1wolf
Well brian at SCOL is dangerous. I told him I wanted more boost with the E setup.... with the IW 10% and now this pulley.... going from an 3.4” with stock HB to this setup. I’m hoping I’m not going to far.... currently at 7.5psi
Wow, now you'll need a larger TB!
Will you stick with the 6-rib drive system?
What octane fuel do you have available?
Still running cats?
Thanks!

Joe at CPR is hooking me up with a Nick Williams 102mm, and 4-1/2" inlet! Custom fabb'ed (unless he buys them from Sammy?)

Here's something you might find handy...
Keep us posted!

Last edited by Chiselchst; 04-25-2019 at 08:45 PM.
The following users liked this post:
CI GS (04-25-2019)
Old 04-25-2019, 10:07 PM
Turbo6TA
Race Director

Received 3,088 Likes on 2,078 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Something interesting about that chart above ... It shows the Stock balancer being 7.53"

I use a Powerbond stock size balancer on my LS3 .... The Dayco Powerbond website states that it is 7.36"

It does show that the Overall OD of the Powerbond damper being 7.52" .... However, the pulley #1 OD is actually 7.36"

Check out the specs link here: http://www.daycoproducts.com/part?ca...ber%3DPB1117SS

Last edited by Turbo6TA; 04-25-2019 at 10:07 PM.
Old 04-25-2019, 11:52 PM
CI GS
Le Mans Master

Nice! All you need now is a 10% or 12% OD balancer!

EDIT: Wait, I just re-read your post. Are you saying that you’re only at 7.5 psi with the 10% OD on the car now? Or are you about to install the 10% OD and the 3.10” Griptec?

Last edited by CI GS; 04-26-2019 at 12:06 AM.
Old 04-26-2019, 12:03 AM
CI GS
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Chiselchst
Wow, now you'll need a larger TB!
Will you stick with the 6-rib drive system?
What octane fuel do you have available?
Still running cats?
Thanks!

Joe at CPR is hooking me up with a Nick Williams 102mm, and 4-1/2" inlet! Custom fabb'ed (unless he buys them from Sammy?)

Here's something you might find handy...
Keep us posted!

You're in good hands with CPR. Are they doing a custom/ported throttle body inlet adaptor for you? The 102mm TB is no good without that.
I would love to see their 4.5” inlet. I bet it will be top notch. Definitely keep us posted on that.
I’m thinking of cutting and welding mine so that I can fit the big Halltech filter on it. I have a feeling that that tiny little $24.00 Vibrant filter is a big restriction on my car. I do have a 4.5” bellmouth that I would love to test, but it’s so damn dusty at our track that I’m afraid to use it.

Last edited by CI GS; 04-26-2019 at 10:10 AM.
Old 04-26-2019, 08:33 AM
ls1wolf
Burning Brakes

The 7.5psi is with the stock HB and 3.4(86) pulley. Going with the 10% and 3.1 now with E85
Old 04-26-2019, 10:09 AM
CI GS
Le Mans Master

The 7.5psi is with the stock HB and 3.4(86) pulley. Going with the 10% and 3.1 now with E85
Okay. Gotcha. Did you ever port the TBA and add the 102mm TB?
Old 04-26-2019, 12:19 PM
Chiselchst
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

We'll both have similar set-ups. I'll post my mods below in another thread.
I thought mine was ~8 lbs with stock HB, and a 90mm upper...

Yeah, the whole ID / OD balancer thing got confusing with folks measuring everything. Like Sammy stated, we just kind of defaulted to stock size, 10 or 12 % OD, LOL.

CI GS (04-26-2019)
Old 04-26-2019, 12:23 PM
Chiselchst
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Yes, custom fabricated by him to fit the 102 NW.
I know it will be top notch
He stated the 4.5'' cold air intake - "I discovered the synergy motorsports zr1 unit works on your setup".

You're in good hands with CPR. Are they doing a custom/ported throttle body inlet adaptor for you? The 102mm TB is no good without that.
I would love to see their 4.5” inlet. I bet it will be top notch. Definitely keep us posted on that.
I’m thinking of cutting and welding mine so that I can fit the big Halltech filter on it. I have a feeling that that tiny little $24.00 Vibrant filter is a big restriction on my car. I do have a 4.5” bellmouth that I would love to test, but it’s so damn dusty at our track that I’m afraid to use it.
CI GS (04-26-2019)
Old 04-26-2019, 12:35 PM
Chiselchst
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

So to keep my build here with my peeps, here it is.
I'm dropping the car off this Monday AM, driving there & flying back (650 miles).
Had initially planned to haul in enclosed custom car hauler a buddy has, but it's $1,300 in fuel for my 7.4L Suburban and 2,600 of SLOW driving...my front is already wrapped, and the detailer is going to re-treat the car when I return.
Initially was going to p/u car 1.5 weeks later, but added more fab work, and Joe suggested he the drive for a while to ensure it's all sorted when I pick it up ~May 24th'ish. They baseline dyno it, then on 91 octane 1st, then do VP or equivalent e85 from a barrel

Here's the build so far:
* Texas Speed & Performance CNC Head Porting
* LS9 Gasket
* ARP studs
* BTR .660 springs w/ Ti retainers
* 5/15” chromoly pushrods w/ 0.08” walls
* Brian Tooley Trunions
* Johnson 2110 slow leak down lifters
* C5 R chain
* LS Lifter trays
* Cam 229/246* .629”/.615” 116 LSA +4 advance 3-bolt on 8620 CM core
* ID1050’s
* 2” ARH powder coated black ceramic w/3.0” off road x-pipe to ZR1 Corsa Sports
* Monster lt1-s triple, with all the cylinders & bleeder, pilot bearing
* ECS rear diff brace
* IW 10% HB
* IW 8-rib conversion
* Fore level 1 fuel system w/dual Walbro 450’s, billet filter w/ stainless element, FC2 controller, Honeywell Hobbs switch, flex intercept kit, flex LP line, fuel pressure gauge
* MM Wild catch can
* Pro-Speed C6 dual spall fan with shroud
* ZR1 Expansion tank
* ZR1 CAC pump
Was also going to have the torque tube bearing checked/replaced. Might add Melling oil pump?
Joe said the head stm vents not necessary at my HP levels…
Another $6k to forge the bottom end. Not planning to do that ???

After dealing with CPR, I cannot feel any better about having this work done. These guys are frick'n top notch without exception! The absolute BEST! Thanks Unreal!

Stoked as hell!
CI GS (04-26-2019)
Old 04-26-2019, 03:11 PM
CI GS
Le Mans Master

So to keep my build here with my peeps, here it is.
I'm dropping the car off this Monday AM, driving there & flying back (650 miles).
Had initially planned to haul in enclosed custom car hauler a buddy has, but it's $1,300 in fuel for my 7.4L Suburban and 2,600 of SLOW driving...my front is already wrapped, and the detailer is going to re-treat the car when I return.
Initially was going to p/u car 1.5 weeks later, but added more fab work, and Joe suggested he the drive for a while to ensure it's all sorted when I pick it up ~May 24th'ish. They baseline dyno it, then on 91 octane 1st, then do VP or equivalent e85 from a barrel

Here's the build so far:
* Texas Speed & Performance CNC Head Porting
* LS9 Gasket
* ARP studs
* BTR .660 springs w/ Ti retainers
* 5/15” chromoly pushrods w/ 0.08” walls
* Brian Tooley Trunions
* Johnson 2110 slow leak down lifters
* C5 R chain
* LS Lifter trays
* Cam 229/246* .629”/.615” 116 LSA +4 advance 3-bolt on 8620 CM core
* ID1050’s
* 2” ARH powder coated black ceramic w/3.0” off road x-pipe to ZR1 Corsa Sports
* Monster lt1-s triple, with all the cylinders & bleeder, pilot bearing
* ECS rear diff brace
* IW 10% HB
* IW 8-rib conversion
* Fore level 1 fuel system w/dual Walbro 450’s, billet filter w/ stainless element, FC2 controller, Honeywell Hobbs switch, flex intercept kit, flex LP line, fuel pressure gauge
* MM Wild catch can
* Pro-Speed C6 dual spall fan with shroud
* ZR1 Expansion tank
* ZR1 CAC pump
Was also going to have the torque tube bearing checked/replaced. Might add Melling oil pump?
Joe said the head stm vents not necessary at my HP levels…
Another $6k to forge the bottom end. Not planning to do that ???

After dealing with CPR, I cannot feel any better about having this work done. These guys are frick'n top notch without exception! The absolute BEST! Thanks Unreal!

Stoked as hell!
Wow! Well, Mitch, that’s going to be one badass ride when CPR’s done with it. I can’t wait to see what kind of numbers that thing puts down.
I’m about to pull the trigger on some ID1050Xs and a DSX flex fuel kit as well. I’m just not sure which kit would work best on the Heartbeat setup, because whilst we’re all using the ZR1 fuel rail on these blowers, the ZR1 has a different ECM (E67 vs. E38), I think? So I want to make sure I order the right flex fuel kit.
BTW: do you already have the ZR1 Intercooler pump? Because I noticed the other day that GM has discontinued those!
BTW: Tell Joe that if he’s going to make a ported 102+mm throttle body inlet, I’m game to buy one off him.
Old 04-26-2019, 03:16 PM
Garymorris
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 39 Posts

BTW: Tell Joe that if he’s going to make a ported 102+mm throttle body inlet, I’m game to buy one off him.
Same for me...maybe we can convince them if we get enough to commit to buying.
Old 04-26-2019, 03:59 PM
Chiselchst
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

I'll let Joe know about the custom Fab piece to fit the 102 mmm throttle body.

Yeah so on the ZR1 pumps, I wound up picking up three of them over about one year, for 200 to 250. I wanted to get a few in case I needed to replace one. But I'm having second thoughts now as looking at the pump flow curves and pump curves that EMP pump seems to outdo everything! I'll talk with Joe he's got a **** ton of experience.

I'm spending so much money I'm really on the fence about getting the ZL1 blower lid. I love to have killer maximum Cooling, and although a new hood and paint is required I can't get this one off my mind...
Old 04-26-2019, 08:27 PM
CI GS
Le Mans Master

I'll let Joe know about the custom Fab piece to fit the 102 mmm throttle body.

Yeah so on the ZR1 pumps, I wound up picking up three of them over about one year, for 200 to 250. I wanted to get a few in case I needed to replace one. But I'm having second thoughts now as looking at the pump flow curves and pump curves that EMP pump seems to outdo everything! I'll talk with Joe he's got a **** ton of experience.

I'm spending so much money I'm really on the fence about getting the ZL1 blower lid. I love to have killer maximum Cooling, and although a new hood and paint is required I can't get this one off my mind...
By ZL1 lid, you mean the taller Camaro Hbeat lid like I have, correct? Don’t mess with that. That’s going to set you back like $1900 for very little gain. Running E85 will make way more of a difference to cooling the intake charge than that change ever could, although you might not see it on IATs, since the sensor is upstream of the injectors. But what matters is cooling at the back of the intake valve.
IIRC: Based on LPE’s testing, the ZR1 pump is unsurpassed when it comes to unmodified 12v IC pumps with 3/4” ID HX hoses on these cars, flowing the same 5.7 GPM as the unmodified EMP pump. The LPE modified version flows more, but has a huge amperage draw. I would just stick with the ZR1 pump.
Chiselchst (04-27-2019)
Old 04-26-2019, 11:34 PM
CI GS
Le Mans Master

For those of you who are going the flex fuel route with the Heartbeat, which flex fuel sensor kit are you using?

Get notified of new replies

To *** Special on Magnuson Heartbeat this Fall **

Old 04-27-2019, 07:47 AM
old motorhead
Le Mans Master

Received 1,339 Likes on 947 Posts

Stoked? Hell yeah Mitch!!! Should be one fine ride when done.
Old 04-27-2019, 08:22 AM
ls1wolf
Burning Brakes

Dsx flex fuel kit no doubt
Old 04-27-2019, 10:17 AM
CI GS
Le Mans Master

Dsx flex fuel kit no doubt
That’s what I would go with too. But which one? They all have different tubing configurations, and I’m not sure if the harness is the same on all of them?

Quick Reply: *** Special on Magnuson Heartbeat this Fall **