C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pros and cons of TTix and YSi setups

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2014, 01:03 PM
1sc334
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by breecher_7
Gonna have to disagree a bit. The X and the YSI are different monsters no doubt... But I have built more than one sub 400ci engines with YSI's on them and they pulled past 7000rpm still making great power and in excess of 1000 to the tire.

Hell Arun's 8 second C5 did over 1000 to the tire with his 365ci YSI through a auto!

The X is a great blower and I think is better suited for the race track.. I think overall the YSI makes a better blower for a street car. I would run a F2 on the street over a X.
Why you say the F1x is better for an all out race application but not really suitable for a DD?
Old 05-07-2014, 01:21 PM
White_Lightning
Melting Slicks

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by 1sc334
Why you say the F1x is better for an all out race application but not really suitable for a DD?
LOL i kinda Laughed at this.. my f1X car drives like a dream. just cruising around you would NEVER believe it makes the power it does.

the f2 cars i have been in SUCKED driving around.
Old 05-07-2014, 01:38 PM
breecher_7
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 1sc334
Originally Posted by White_Lightning
LOL i kinda Laughed at this.. my f1X car drives like a dream. just cruising around you would NEVER believe it makes the power it does.

the f2 cars i have been in SUCKED driving around.
F2 will build boost sooner than the F1X, better for a street car in my opinion. Same reason why I like the YSI for a street car. F1X doesnt start to really pull till up top hence the reason I say its better for a all out race car than a street car.

Regardless... What C5/C6 cars do you see running 8's with a F1X? There is only one that I can think of.

Power or not, the YSI has been getting the job done for years on the street and track.
Old 05-07-2014, 01:48 PM
White_Lightning
Melting Slicks

F2 will build boost sooner than the F1X, better for a street car in my opinion. Same reason why I like the YSI for a street car. F1X doesnt start to really pull till up top hence the reason I say its better for a all out race car than a street car.

Regardless... What C5/C6 cars do you see running 8's with a F1X? There is only one that I can think of.

Power or not, the YSI has been getting the job done for years on the street and track.
here is the dyno of an F2 ON my motor...

here is the dyno of my f1X... On my motor.

please explain to me again how the f2 "makes more down low" than the f2?
Old 05-07-2014, 02:03 PM
breecher_7
Safety Car

here is the dyno of an F2 ON my motor...

here is the dyno of my f1X... On my motor.

please explain to me again how the f2 "makes more down low" than the f2?
Something isnt right about that based on my personal experience.

But by all means, I guess this guy should just buy a F1X since its apparently the only blower thats any good!

Horsepower isnt speed.. As I mentioned above, where are the 8 second F1X corvettes? I get the blower has only been around for a couple years and I am a big fan of it for racing applications but you seem to think that its the "only" option for this guy when the YSI has indeed proven to go faster than any other F1X powered C5/6 out there.

Where is the incentive to go to a F1X if it has not proven itself as the YSI has in this specific platform? Hell if he is gonna go F1X, why stop there. Get the 12A class legal version, its specs are far more impressive.

Why would he need such a big blower if you can "make due" with a smaller and cheaper on? Its just silly to me.
Old 05-07-2014, 02:08 PM
White_Lightning
Melting Slicks

But by all means, I guess this guy should just buy a F1X since its apparently the only blower thats any good!

Horsepower isnt speed.. As I mentioned above, where are the 8 second F1X corvettes? I get the blower has only been around for a couple years and I am a big fan of it for racing applications but you seem to think that its the "only" option for this guy when the YSI has indeed proven to go faster than any other F1X powered C5/6 out there.

Where is the incentive to go to a F1X if it has not proven itself as the YSI has in this specific platform? Hell if he is gonna go F1X, why stop there. Get the 12A class legal version, its specs are far more impressive.

Why would he need such a big blower if you can "make due" with a smaller and cheaper on? Its just silly to me.
people who want to go really fast in the 1/4 arent doing it in vettes..

f1X's are going 4's
that being said for 800-900 rwhp the X isnt the blower for the OP. if he wants 800-900.. a nice YSi would do fine. I'm not bashing the YSi.. just saying it wont make f1X power band.
Old 05-07-2014, 02:12 PM
breecher_7
Safety Car

people who want to go really fast in the 1/4 arent doing it in vettes..

f1X's are going 4's
Both very true statements... But the fact that a YSI WILL carry a vette into the 8's is a testament of how well that blower works.

For many years I have considered it the "perfect" supercharger. It is docile and capable of really good power at a budget price.
Old 05-07-2014, 02:15 PM
1sc334
Racer

That's exactly what I was thinking n still on the fence so to say about my blower upgrade ....it just looked to me like it wouldn't be worth the extra dough just to Say I have an f1x build if I can get close to the same power out of the ysi n save a few thousand dollars.
Old 05-07-2014, 02:27 PM
Turbo-Geist
Melting Slicks

Received 176 Likes on 138 Posts
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C5 of Year Finalist

If you want YSI power then buy the YSI. When you are ready for the big leagues, step up to the F1X.
Old 05-07-2014, 02:52 PM
Mookster
Drifting

Received 56 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbo-Geist
If you want YSI power then buy the YSI. When you are ready for the big leagues, step up to the F1X.
Is that the macho man in you talking lol?

You gotta go thru minor leagues to get to big leagues unless you're A-Rod!
Old 05-07-2014, 05:10 PM
BADZ
Melting Slicks

Mine is as tame as it gets @ 920ish, very small cam, 9.6 CR.
It has manners like no tomorrow and absolute no bucking or surging.
Its a beast with this little single YSI and its always easy for me to make much more with it.

An then you got the hero's that want to set the world on fire with the 2 and 3 power adders - Really?????

f1x = RACECAR

Originally Posted by Mookster
I still have ability to pick CR and cam. Every engine builder's opinion on CR is different. The second you tell them you're running pump gas you hear this sigh. So maybe bump it to 9:7? I also want a cam on milder side if thats OK with a blower setup. I had a big cam when i was 600whp and while that was cool at first driving down the freeway in 6th gear wasnt so fun.

Last edited by BADZ; 05-07-2014 at 05:12 PM.
Old 05-07-2014, 06:13 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

9.7-10:1 comp, do a cam with ~5 degrees overlap, no more IMO for a great street car.
Old 05-07-2014, 07:42 PM
Intermediate

i'm willing to bet that the kit that does the 1500+ rwhp start to finish is NOT "14 grand" That being said i am a BIG fan of their kit and if i went TT that would be my route of choice.
I will say I was not 100% clear on that. BUT look at redlines vette making somewhere around 1300-1400 on gen 1 6266s under $14K. The 1500hp + was on 6766s which "pte will only" sell with ported covers. So that does mean a k-member might be on the list which will hurt the pocket book. But I have heard there is a couple things in the works that might help the mega power guys as well as make the base kit cheaper. Time will tell.
Old 05-11-2014, 10:38 AM
SinisterC6
Le Mans Master

Received 375 Likes on 189 Posts

You can go either direction and be happy, 1000hp will be fun whether its from turbos or a blower.

The YSI is more affordable option with F2 being a step up

Turbos are more of an investment but having the ability to adjust boost at will was worth it for me. On a 427ci motor I would shoot for 72mm turbos as they will give you all the power you can dream of while being fun on the street.

Last edited by SinisterC6; 05-13-2014 at 08:08 AM.
Old 05-12-2014, 03:12 PM
sdunn
Instructor

If you want to buy a baller budget turbo kit and save a ton of money, I have a custom top mount kit I am selling without the turbos and blow off valves. You could build your kit for almost the same price as the supercharger build.
Old 05-14-2014, 09:34 AM
C6smackdown
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I had the EXACT same problem, except mine had less than 500 miles on it. When I called the manufacturer they told me to pound sand on any chances of a warranty repair because it was a race only blower.
Originally Posted by jon6.0
Ask Unreal what he thinks about having to send his YSi in for a rebuild and it only has a few thousand miles on it. My T trim was leaking oil into the compressor. That added a few hundred when I sent it in for a Ti upgrade. If you have the cash I would go turbo.
Old 05-14-2014, 03:42 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Exact opposite here. Vortech has been nothing but a pleasure to work with. Good communications, good service and getting me taken care of. They explained everything, gave me a few different options, and are doing it in a timely manner for a decent price. Can't complain at all. Blower dying was my fault anyways but they are hooking me up.

Get notified of new replies

To Pros and cons of TTix and YSi setups

Old 05-14-2014, 03:48 PM
breecher_7
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Unreal
Exact opposite here. Vortech has been nothing but a pleasure to work with. Good communications, good service and getting me taken care of. They explained everything, gave me a few different options, and are doing it in a timely manner for a decent price. Can't complain at all. Blower dying was my fault anyways but they are hooking me up.
Couldnt agree more!
I called vortech today to ask them about putting a meth nozzle pre blower to cool the charge and they told me to let it eat...

When you are already over max impeller speed you gotta find some way to further cheat right? Easy enough to, just branching off the current twin nozzle meth setup with an additiona 3gph nozzle..
Old 05-14-2014, 03:49 PM
Mookster
Drifting

Received 56 Likes on 15 Posts

Im about to be blowers are for ______

...till i have issues with TTix kit lol
Old 05-14-2014, 03:52 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

If anything, the fact that my blower ran 7k miles with a bearing messed up just shows how strong they are.

Quick Reply: Pros and cons of TTix and YSi setups