C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Built 6l80 blew. What's my options?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2014, 05:09 PM
realcanuk
Le Mans Master

Received 394 Likes on 359 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by usmcpony
I'm sorry guys. It may appear I'm not listening. I'm just having a hard tone converting my car into a 4 speed drag car. I'm interested on some feedback on the phenix tranny from someone who has one.
I looked at that trans when I needed one but had a hard time spending over 6k when I cant find anyone with experience with it. Like I said, the only one if know of being used did eventually fail after abuse at the track.

In my case, the problem I have with these expensive built transmissions it the downtime if something goes wrong. Even if it has a guarantee, the shipping is a fortune, and the time is long. My buddy how just blew his built 4L65, has been down for around 6 weeks now waiting for a replacement. That kills most of the season up here.

I went a different route which cost me less than half the amount and is on its second season now. I am going to open it up this winter and refresh the wearable parts. At that time I will how things held up visually.
Old 08-11-2014, 05:11 PM
usmcpony
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by C6BOOSTED
Depends how long this 6l80e will last. If I can get 20k miles out of it I'll recommend it. If not then no.
How many miles are on it now? Do to any 1/4 runs?
Old 08-11-2014, 05:20 PM
C6BOOSTED
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 4 Posts

How many miles are on it now? Do to any 1/4 runs?
about 600 street miles on MT Drag Radials. no 1/4 runs yet. The 1st tranny lasted about 4-5k miles and only 4 1/4 passes. Thats with 615rwhp only.
Old 08-11-2014, 05:21 PM
usmcpony
Drifting

about 600 street miles on MT Drag Radials. no 1/4 runs yet. The 1st tranny lasted about 4-5k miles and only 4 1/4 passes. Thats with 615rwhp only.
Damn that's is pretty crappy. That was with built tranny?
Old 08-11-2014, 05:27 PM
C6BOOSTED
Racer

Damn that's is pretty crappy. That was with built tranny?
Yes. There transmission with provided tune. My stock one lasted 35kmiles with that much power on street tires with stock stall.
Old 08-11-2014, 06:04 PM
usmcpony
Drifting

Yes. There transmission with provided tune. My stock one lasted 35kmiles with that much power on street tires with stock stall.
I know another option was to get a stock tranny from the dealership and have it installed by a different shop. And replace it under warranty every time it breaks. Seems like stock transmissions hold longer than the built ones.
Old 08-11-2014, 06:09 PM
C6BOOSTED
Racer

I know another option was to get a stock tranny from the dealership and have it installed by a different shop. And replace it under warranty every time it breaks. Seems like stock transmissions hold longer than the built ones.
How much is a stock rebuilt one cost? If you go that route, get a tuner that will tune it to try and make it last
Old 08-11-2014, 06:28 PM
usmcpony
Drifting

I was told around $2800 but I'm not sure.
Old 08-11-2014, 06:30 PM
usmcpony
Drifting

What about the tranny in the C7 or the one coming out in the C7 Z06? Are they stronger and if so are compatible? I Haven't heard of many failures with them.
Old 08-11-2014, 06:43 PM
realcanuk
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '13

I considered this route but its not that simple. My GM guy told me that they will want the car, to see what is wrong with the tranny. When they see the mods, I don't think they would honor the warranty.

My stock trans lasted about 20k miles and I would guess 60 or so track passes. That was with about 600 RWHP. What finally gave up was the 4, 5,6 clutch pack. Its possible if you just have the clutches changed every once in a while you can go forever.

Once you get to more power than that I really don't think a stock one will last very long. Even with the upgrades they do, I think they have to be refreshed every few seasons if you are running them really hard with big power.
Old 08-11-2014, 07:02 PM
usmcpony
Drifting

Originally Posted by realcanuk
I considered this route but its not that simple. My GM guy told me that they will want the car, to see what is wrong with the tranny. When they see the mods, I don't think they would honor the warranty.

My stock trans lasted about 20k miles and I would guess 60 or so track passes. That was with about 600 RWHP. What finally gave up was the 4, 5,6 clutch pack. Its possible if you just have the clutches changed every once in a while you can go forever.

Once you get to more power than that I really don't think a stock one will last very long. Even with the upgrades they do, I think they have to be refreshed every few seasons if you are running them really hard with big power.
My car currently has 3000 miles total. My dad has built probably over 100 motors and about 4 c4 transmissions over the past 30 or so years. I know the 6l80 has allot more involve but we may just try rebuilding it ourselves by refreshing the clutches and worn out parts. If that don't work. Its back to the drawing board.
Old 08-11-2014, 07:32 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

What about the tranny in the C7 or the one coming out in the C7 Z06? Are they stronger and if so are compatible? I Haven't heard of many failures with them.
c7 tranny is the same 6l80 for now. 2015s will have 8 speed but no one has those yet. Plus I've heard without cutting tunnel/rear up the 8 speed won't fit. Plus no controller out for it yet so the electronics would be an issue.
Old 08-11-2014, 07:39 PM
realcanuk
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '13

My car currently has 3000 miles total. My dad has built probably over 100 motors and about 4 c4 transmissions over the past 30 or so years. I know the 6l80 has allot more involve but we may just try rebuilding it ourselves by refreshing the clutches and worn out parts. If that don't work. Its back to the drawing board.
Exactly the route I went. A local builder here helped me with the build and I chose the parts and upgrades according to research I have done. This did not include the Alto clutches that some of the builders use, as I only read of issues with them.

In this thread there are some of the details of the build. Like I said much less expensive and holding well till now.
Old 08-11-2014, 07:51 PM
usmcpony
Drifting

Exactly the route I went. A local builder here helped me with the build and I chose the parts and upgrades according to research I have done. This did not include the Alto clutches that some of the builders use, as I only read of issues with them.

In this thread there are some of the details of the build. Like I said much less expensive and holding well till now.
I was going to go with Alto or Raybestos clutch packs. What's the deal with the Alto? They was my first choice cause of claims of having 75% more contact than stock.
Old 08-11-2014, 08:07 PM
realcanuk
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '13

I was going to go with Alto or Raybestos clutch packs. What's the deal with the Alto? They was my first choice cause of claims of having 75% more contact than stock.
Sent you a PM
Old 08-11-2014, 08:14 PM
usmcpony
Drifting

Sent you a PM
Got your pm. Appreciate the info. What's the deal with your tranny since you rebuilt it?
Old 08-11-2014, 08:25 PM
realcanuk
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '13

Got your pm. Appreciate the info. What's the deal with your tranny since you rebuilt it?
I drove the car all of this and last summer. I would guess about 3k miles. I went to the track a few times but only did about 5 runs because I kept breaking things. I drive it fairly hard on the street but stay away from full throttle kickdowns. So far no issues at all with it. Like I said before, I am going to take it out this winter and renew the clutches and steels. When I see them, I will know if I have to do it every few years. If I have to do that every few years, that's fine with me. I will get to the track later in the season and see if it survives some harder use. This year I decided to enjoy the car all summer, and if I break something at the track at the end of the year, no big deal. Its in storage all winter anyways.

Get notified of new replies

To Built 6l80 blew. What's my options?

Old 08-11-2014, 10:50 PM
C6BOOSTED
Racer

What clutches are you running Realcanuk?
Old 08-12-2014, 06:57 AM
realcanuk
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '13

What clutches are you running Realcanuk?
Sent you a PM
Old 09-03-2016, 03:45 PM
Quick2
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Usmcony, what did you ever do about the trans? Thanks

Quick Reply: Built 6l80 blew. What's my options?