C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does Gearing favor a centrifugal over a PD blower?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2014, 04:26 PM
mfoti
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Does Gearing favor a centrifugal over a PD blower?

I have a 2007 Z51 with spd manual. I only drive on the street and never race. I am leaning toward the e-force for that reason... BUT i am wondering how the lower gear ratios of the Z51 pair up with a PD blower? How do you manual transmission guys keep from blowing the tires up at every light with a PD blower? I drive a mild cammed car with headers and I find it difficult to keep the stock run-flat tires stuck to the road once i get on the throttle. I frequently go into the 3K to 5K range but rarely exceed that. At what rpm do you even know the centrifugal is there? 3K? 4k?

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Old 08-19-2014, 04:43 PM
MARSC6
Le Mans Master

Received 47 Likes on 32 Posts

By 3k I was seeing over 400rwtq with the ECS standard centri kit and headers.

You will destroy those runflats with any type of blower.

Last edited by MARSC6; 08-19-2014 at 04:45 PM.
Old 08-19-2014, 05:12 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

Off idle. Centris add power from idle up, just not as much as a PD. At 1700rpm I'm still making 420rwtq which is more than a stock z06. 2000rpm it is over 450. 3k 550rwtq. The power is plentyful everywhere.
Old 08-19-2014, 05:50 PM
neverstop
Melting Slicks

Received 108 Likes on 102 Posts

drag radials are a must imo for anything over 400whp, one of the best mods I have done to my cars, I love the nt555r tires for street cars too, I have nt05r and they are absurdly grippy but not great in corners
Old 08-19-2014, 06:07 PM
EvanZR1
Le Mans Master

Received 2,275 Likes on 1,193 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C4 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

One of the reasons I ended up going with a centri. The power is more usable, and keeps increasing on the top end instead of falling off like the PD blowers. Like Unreal said, centris still add power down low, it's just not as much as what a PD blower does. As to when I notice the blower on mine, pretty much anything over 2500:

Old 08-19-2014, 06:50 PM
grocerygetter
Burning Brakes

Received 96 Likes on 86 Posts

yup. centri for a vette all day long. good match for sure.
Old 08-19-2014, 08:30 PM
Streetk14
Melting Slicks

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by mfoti
I have a 2007 Z51 with spd manual. I only drive on the street and never race. I am leaning toward the e-force for that reason... BUT i am wondering how the lower gear ratios of the Z51 pair up with a PD blower? How do you manual transmission guys keep from blowing the tires up at every light with a PD blower? I drive a mild cammed car with headers and I find it difficult to keep the stock run-flat tires stuck to the road once i get on the throttle. I frequently go into the 3K to 5K range but rarely exceed that. At what rpm do you even know the centrifugal is there? 3K? 4k?

Thanks in advance for any advice.
I honestly don't have any traction issues with my stock Z06/GS sized RE11s. My GS has the same gearing as a Z51 car, too. The stock run-flats flat out suck. Get some good rubber and it won't be much of an issue unless you plan to make over 650 rwhp.

After having both styles of system, I can say that (at least for me) the PD style blower wins for fun on the street. right now, I have a Heartbeat blower and headers on an otherwise stock LS3. Makes over 500 rwtq from about 2500 rpm. Peak power is right at 6500 rpm. There is definitely no high rpm drop-off. It's just a very linear power curve.

When I get a chance, I'll scan the dyno curves from this car so you can see the difference between it and something like Evan70's A&A sheet above.
Old 08-19-2014, 10:13 PM
mfoti
Instructor

Thank you for all the replies. There are so many great people on this forum. I am definitely considering the centrifugal now. I love low end torque but i just don't know how much is really usable. It would be awesome to see an overlay of the dyno's for both blowers.
Old 08-19-2014, 10:58 PM
realcanuk
Le Mans Master

Received 394 Likes on 359 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

The type of blower is a personal decision and should be based on what you want out of the car.
To say the power on a PD blower falls off up top is just wrong.

Old 08-20-2014, 09:31 PM
Streetk14
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by mfoti
Thank you for all the replies. There are so many great people on this forum. I am definitely considering the centrifugal now. I love low end torque but i just don't know how much is really usable. It would be awesome to see an overlay of the dyno's for both blowers.
I don't have the dyno files, or I would have posted it already. I'd like to have digital copies of all my dyno pulls anyway, so I'll be doing it soon. Maybe someone here is clever enough to do an overlay for us.

If you like torque, then it's pretty hard to beat a good PD blower. When someone with a centri says "I have 420 rwtq at 1700 rpm", you need to realize that they're talking about a big engine with a 20 psi blower setup that makes huge power. It's going to make a lot more boost (and torque) down low than a standard LS2 A&A kit. Mine made about 3 psi at 3000 rpm.

You do gain some power down low with a regular centri kit, but it isn't huge. Looking at my old graphs, I picked up 50 rwtq at 3000 rpm. This was a ~10 psi A&A T-trim system (3.6" pulley) on a cam/header LS3. This is on the same dyno, of course. Only changes were the blower and meth system.

For comparison, my ~6 psi Magnuson blower added 165 rwtq at 3000 rpm. I also added headers, so it isn't totally apples to apples, but you get the idea. For stock motor on low boost and 91 octane, it makes some impressive midrange power, and isn't far behind a typical centri kit up top. In fact, it's probably at least on par with A&A's smog legal kits.

Torque has always been what's fun to me. Can't say the same for everyone, but it's what makes me love driving my twin turbo BMW. For a 3600 lb. sedan making only 420 hp at the tire, it's very quick. Then you look at the 480 rwtq available pretty much off-idle, and it all makes sense. As long as you can put it down, average power wins in a street car. Turbos are the best of both worlds, but the packaging just isn't there on a Corvette IMO.
Old 08-20-2014, 10:45 PM
NYC6
Team Owner

Received 207 Likes on 155 Posts

After much troubled deciding I went with the AA Vortech T-trim. I'm very happy with the linear curve as opposed to the instant hit of power off idle. just my personal preference.
Old 08-20-2014, 11:19 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Yep, my setup is a bit more extreme, but I do hear a lot how centris don't add power down low, or don't come on until 4k, etc. They don't add 150+ftlbs down low on most setups, but they do add enough IMO.

I'm putting a TVS2300 on my mustang once I get enough cash. Not because I want the fastest car (paxton or turbo would do that) but just because I want something different.
Old 08-21-2014, 10:40 AM
Streetk14
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Unreal
Yep, my setup is a bit more extreme, but I do hear a lot how centris don't add power down low, or don't come on until 4k, etc. They don't add 150+ftlbs down low on most setups, but they do add enough IMO.

I'm putting a TVS2300 on my mustang once I get enough cash. Not because I want the fastest car (paxton or turbo would do that) but just because I want something different.

Yeah, I'm guessing you don't have any lack of low end power. I'm sure that YSi starts building boost quickly the way you have it pullied.

I'm just being honest to potential supercharger buyers when I say that I was disappointed when I first installed my A&A system. I was expecting more power in the rpm range that I drive in most of the time, and it didn't meet my expectations in that area. It had a great top end pull to it, but that's kind of expected on a cammed motor with 10 psi and meth.

If I wanted the fastest car out there, I wouldn't have gone with a TVS2300 based blower on my GS. The whole driving force behind this build for me was to make this car pleasant and fun to drive, with lots of usable power. Yeah, it could use some more peak power, but at 6-7 psi on 91 octane I can't complain.
Old 08-21-2014, 11:13 AM
0ProChargerTech
Former Vendor

Received 68 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by grocerygetter
yup. centri for a vette all day long. good match for sure.
Agree Someone already said the magical words "Usable Power"

No need to add 200ft lbs of TQ at 2,000rpm to a car that already has no issues turning a set of tires into smoke stock.

Street Car: how often is it being floored below 2,500rpm? Not often. (Drop down a gear, and GO!)
Drag Car: again, nobody really launches a car at idle speed. can't beat the top end pull of a centri blower, and the lack of heat soak.
Mile Car: again lack of heat soak, and top end power wins
Road Race Car: its always up in the RPMs, HP and lack of heat soak win

Take two vettes on similar power numbers/boost. (One roots, one Centri) And run them at the track, its pretty simple which one usually wins, and then hot lap them, and see what happens. Or drive them strait to the track, and run them with no cool down. (just as if you would out on the street)

Wanna do burnouts = Roots blower
Wanna go fast, with less stress on the motor = Centri blower

Might be a bit biased
Old 08-21-2014, 11:22 AM
Unreal
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Streetk14
Yeah, I'm guessing you don't have any lack of low end power. I'm sure that YSi starts building boost quickly the way you have it pullied.

I'm just being honest to potential supercharger buyers when I say that I was disappointed when I first installed my A&A system. I was expecting more power in the rpm range that I drive in most of the time, and it didn't meet my expectations in that area. It had a great top end pull to it, but that's kind of expected on a cammed motor with 10 psi and meth.

If I wanted the fastest car out there, I wouldn't have gone with a TVS2300 based blower on my GS. The whole driving force behind this build for me was to make this car pleasant and fun to drive, with lots of usable power. Yeah, it could use some more peak power, but at 6-7 psi on 91 octane I can't complain.
I wasn't. Stock car has plenty of power from idle to 3500rpm. More than enough to get around, have fun, spin tires, etc. Where it was lacking was 4-7k. If I am getting on it or racing, besides 1st I'll be up in the power band. For anything else, a bone stock car has enough power.

It all comes down to opinion and what you like. (unless you are wanting to turn times then it is a different question).
Old 08-21-2014, 11:43 PM
Streetk14
Melting Slicks

I wasn't. Stock car has plenty of power from idle to 3500rpm. More than enough to get around, have fun, spin tires, etc. Where it was lacking was 4-7k. If I am getting on it or racing, besides 1st I'll be up in the power band. For anything else, a bone stock car has enough power.

It all comes down to opinion and what you like. (unless you are wanting to turn times then it is a different question).
Agreed on the choice thing. An LS7 doesn't need as much help in the torque department, though. An LS2 (like the OP has) does, IMO.

To each their own, of course. The problem I see on the forums is that most guys have only experienced one style of FI and are generally happy with their choice, but really don't have any idea if they'd prefer something else. They just know what they've read -- and we both know that isn't always correct. I've done a bunch of different things and feel I'm pretty straight forward with my experiences. When people ask these kind of questions, I try to answer in context and hope I can help them make the right choice for them.
Old 08-22-2014, 09:27 AM
Unreal
Team Owner

Agreed 100%. That goes for more than just FI. Tuners, cams, etc. Someone tries one and then it is the best even though they have never had anything else.

Honestly if there was a decent kit I would say turbo all the way, but IMO there is no good kits for a street/daily vette that support decent power.

Get notified of new replies

To Does Gearing favor a centrifugal over a PD blower?

Old 08-22-2014, 10:34 AM
Streetk14
Melting Slicks

Agreed 100%. That goes for more than just FI. Tuners, cams, etc. Someone tries one and then it is the best even though they have never had anything else.

Honestly if there was a decent kit I would say turbo all the way, but IMO there is no good kits for a street/daily vette that support decent power.
Yep.... I just feel the packaging isn't there on the C6. I like cars that are low maintenance and easy to work on. Most of the C6 turbo kits don't fit that bill for me. That new UPP system looks promising, but I guess we'll see how that goes.
Old 08-22-2014, 12:18 PM
realcanuk
Le Mans Master

Received 394 Likes on 359 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Agreed on the choice thing. An LS7 doesn't need as much help in the torque department, though. An LS2 (like the OP has) does, IMO.

To each their own, of course. The problem I see on the forums is that most guys have only experienced one style of FI and are generally happy with their choice, but really don't have any idea if they'd prefer something else. They just know what they've read -- and we both know that isn't always correct. I've done a bunch of different things and feel I'm pretty straight forward with my experiences. When people ask these kind of questions, I try to answer in context and hope I can help them make the right choice for them.
This is well said and I agree 100%. I own a PD car, but have driven centri vettes more than once. Both are amazing, just different. That's why I don't knock either, and think its about personal preference.
Old 08-22-2014, 12:23 PM
mfoti
Instructor

Quick Reply: Does Gearing favor a centrifugal over a PD blower?