C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Well, I finally did it.. (ECS /FSP)

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2019, 01:08 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

Received 1,193 Likes on 1,052 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by Unreal
Before you move in is the correct time to coat it. My friend just did his garage. If I had to do it again, I think I would do it myself. I paid a pro place to do it, and for $1500 wasn't that impressed.
Will do... guess I'm adding it to the list of stuff

Originally Posted by CI GS
That’s the same experience I had. The “pro” I hired turned out to be a dud. If you want anything done right, you have to do it yourself, I guess. A dedicated novice will most times do a better job than a lazy “pro”. That’s why I try so hard to be a dedicated novice!
Sounds about right.. I've watched a bunch of youtube videos on it, doesn't seem very hard

Originally Posted by romandian
do the epoxy floor. iv had it for 12 years now (sikafloor 216) and its very durable and absolutly gasoline/oil resistant. just dont spill any acetone or stuff like that. you also cant mig weld, the dropletts will burn the floor. its not uv stable, so it will change color near the door, but so what? (iv done an uv stable coating on the exterior strip outside of the door.) you condition the floor with phosphoric acid (15%) and do a base coat (sikafloor 156) twice. very important, if you do it once you will have plenty of tiny air buble holes. just get a professional product from a reputable manufacturer (yes its swiss):

https://usa.sika.com/content/usa/flo...r_coating.html
Will do, thanks. I'll check into it. I get a discount on another brand so I may see what they have too, we'll see
Old 05-08-2019, 01:11 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

My issue with the floor isn't chemicals, gas, etc, it is just that I grind, hammer, press, jack, etc etc and it chips. I guess I could be nicer to it, but ohh well.
Old 05-08-2019, 04:38 PM
CI GS
Le Mans Master

Received 1,110 Likes on 780 Posts

Originally Posted by Unreal
My issue with the floor isn't chemicals, gas, etc, it is just that I grind, hammer, press, jack, etc etc and it chips. I guess I could be nicer to it, but ohh well.
Maybe you shouldn’t be grinding on the garage floor?!
The following users liked this post:
schpenxel (05-10-2019)
Old 05-10-2019, 12:14 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '15

Any recomendations on what epoxy floor product(s) to use? It seems there's about 500 of them these days
Old 05-10-2019, 12:59 PM
romandian
Drifting

Received 88 Likes on 78 Posts

seems you missed my post.
Old 05-10-2019, 03:15 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '15

I did, oops. I’ll check into those, thanks.
Old 05-10-2019, 04:28 PM
Turbo-Geist
Melting Slicks

Received 176 Likes on 138 Posts
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C5 of Year Finalist

I laid this one down last month. It turned out nice but I need to put more traffic on it before giving a final opinion.

https://www.armorgarage.com/garage-e...anite-kit.html
Old 05-11-2019, 11:17 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '15

Thanks, I'll look into that one too

Does anyone know if PPG has a decent one? I can get a huge discount on PPG products so that'd be nice, but not worth it if their epoxy products suck or something (obviously)
Old 05-12-2019, 09:16 AM
NJ_phil
Burning Brakes

Received 50 Likes on 48 Posts

Wow. Congrats. you really lucked out because I bought a new (to me) house last summer and still plowing through renovations, upgrades and maintenance.
Unfortunately not in the garage. My 2 cents of the garage floor is the prep is the most important part.
schpenxel (05-12-2019)
Old 09-06-2019, 12:43 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '15

Back from the dead!

What would you guys suggest tire wise? My NT05R's are done for and I don't really want another drag radial as I was always trying to avoid rain when I had them which is problematic given I work over an hour away.

Maybe some regular NT05's? I know I'm going to lose some traction but I'm more focused on actually driving the car whenever/wherever I want to right now.
Old 09-06-2019, 10:38 PM
donnyt
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by schpenxel
Back from the dead!

What would you guys suggest tire wise? My NT05R's are done for and I don't really want another drag radial as I was always trying to avoid rain when I had them which is problematic given I work over an hour away.

Maybe some regular NT05's? I know I'm going to lose some traction but I'm more focused on actually driving the car whenever/wherever I want to right now.
What about R888r's?

I had normal NT05's on my gto and they wouldn't hook for ****
Old 09-07-2019, 12:06 AM
Patriot Six
Drifting

Received 219 Likes on 209 Posts

R888R is a great all around tire. I actually never had an issue in the rain in my MT ET Street SS as long as I took it easy.
Old 09-07-2019, 08:05 AM
schpenxel
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by Patriot Six
R888R is a great all around tire. I actually never had an issue in the rain in my MT ET Street SS as long as I took it easy.
I’m probably being overly dramatic because of how little traction I had in some rain the other week. I ended up in a ditch after giving it a little gas at 35mph or so to see if I had any traction in the rain. Back in came around and I never had any control after that

But my nt05r’s were literally a couple of years old and had an absurd number of miles on them for a drag radial. I’m not sure how they lasted that long. I’m assuming they were hard as **** from being heat cycled so many times over the years.

Originally Posted by donnyt
What about R888r's?

I had normal NT05's on my gto and they wouldn't hook for ****
Yeah I keep getting told regular nt05’s are a bad idea so probably going to skip those lol

r888r’s I’ve read are a really good all around tire. The downside is they’re expensive and loud as ****. Might be my best option though.
Old 09-07-2019, 09:31 AM
CI GS
Le Mans Master

WooHoo! Schpenxel is back!
The thing to consider is that any soft compound competition tire like a drag radial (and even the Toyo triple 8) is going to “dry out” and harden after a few dozen heat cycles, and then they turn into hockey pucks and won’t hook for ****. My NT05Rs were completely hardened and became as bad in the dry as they were in the rain, before I took them off.
So, if you want an everyday use kind of tire that will last a while, you may have to get a Michelin or one of the better street tires and live with the backend swinging round on you when you get to judicious with the right foot. On the bright side, they’ll hook much better in the rain than those suicidal NT05Rs for sure.
IF you want to get something that can handle power and you don’t care if it wears out quick (before they become hockey pucks anyway), just go all in and buy a proper full threaded Drag Radials like the M/T ET Street SS. That what I’m running on my car on the street now, although I don’t drive it much, except to and from the track, so I have no idea how long they would last you. I drove with them through heavy rain to the track a couple of months ago, and they were markedly better than the NT05Rs too.

Last edited by CI GS; 09-07-2019 at 09:32 AM.
Old 09-07-2019, 11:40 AM
schpenxel
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '15

Thanks, I’ll check those out too. In my head I’m thinking it’s basically I’m either going to use a regular tire and never have traction at 70+ when I’m on it hard which can obviously be pretty dangerous, or not have traction in the rain. I’m not sure which is worse, lol

I’ll post some pics up again soon. Had some slight damage from my little foray into the ditch so going to have to fix that and buy some tires while I’m at it. Busted the radiator and radiator support (which was already half broken anyways) so that’s my first project to fix and get it running again
Old 09-07-2019, 12:41 PM
helga203
Safety Car

Received 434 Likes on 373 Posts

Thanks, I’ll check those out too. In my head I’m thinking it’s basically I’m either going to use a regular tire and never have traction at 70+ when I’m on it hard which can obviously be pretty dangerous, or not have traction in the rain. I’m not sure which is worse, lol

I’ll post some pics up again soon. Had some slight damage from my little foray into the ditch so going to have to fix that and buy some tires while I’m at it. Busted the radiator and radiator support (which was already half broken anyways) so that’s my first project to fix and get it running again
You can always pull timing out of the top end so you won't burn your new tires up as bad. Lowering the timing your losing HP but what is it worth if you can't use it. Get more life out of the tires. JMO
Old 09-07-2019, 01:03 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '15

True. Doesn’t sound as fun but I already took the long tubes off anyways so that could be an easy option to keep it under control

I also just ordered a Dragy so that’ll be a new toy too

https://burgertuning.com/products/dr...formance-meter

Last edited by schpenxel; 09-07-2019 at 01:04 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Well, I finally did it.. (ECS /FSP)

Old 09-07-2019, 01:29 PM
Chiselchst
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 387 Likes on 286 Posts

FWIW with the R88R's...
Just sold my old set (50% tread life remaining, they were 2-years old) with rims. They didn't hook well even in 2nd. In fact never, LOL..

Just threw on my NEW set of C7 ZR1 rims with fresh R888R's...man, dead hook in 2nd. They hook - initially - really well.
Sorry, can not offer any experience in wet weather however...

WAIT! I actually experienced a lot of wet weather bringing the car home from AZ back to the Bay Area. I did not experience any issues, driving for over 1 hour in bad rain. I lightly goosed it a couple of times trying to understand the point of loss of traction, and it didn't break loose so I didn't push it more...sorry to hear you went in to a ditch! Glad everything is okay though!

Last edited by Chiselchst; 09-08-2019 at 03:45 PM.
schpenxel (09-07-2019)
Old 09-07-2019, 04:21 PM
MRSUPRA
Racer

Received 90 Likes on 62 Posts

I had regular NT05's on my 700rwhp GS and they would spin in 3rd gear-completely worthless at this power level. Switched to NT05R's and it still spins in 1st and 2nd, but it grips and accelerates much harder.
Old 09-08-2019, 09:03 AM
CI GS
Le Mans Master

True. Doesn’t sound as fun but I already took the long tubes off anyways so that could be an easy option to keep it under control

I also just ordered a Dragy so that’ll be a new toy too

https://burgertuning.com/products/dr...formance-meter
I’ve been reading lots of good things about that dragy meter, and I saw the tuner of a friend of mine with one at the track the other day, and he was telling me how it’s dead nuts accurate. I think I’ll pick me up one of those too.

BTW: meant to say that earlier that it was sad to hear that you had literally ditched the Vette, but glad to see that you’re climbing back in the saddle again. I’m sure you can wring another couple hundred thousand miles out of it. GM should step up at some point and give you a new C8 (or we should start a go fund me account) for all the useful guidance you’ve given folks on these forums...
schpenxel (09-08-2019)

Quick Reply: Well, I finally did it.. (ECS /FSP)