C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any one have broke his F1X procharger? TT time?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2015, 03:41 PM
WHITE_SHARK
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Any one have broke his F1X procharger? TT time?

Going to put back the F2 procharger, very upset with the new F1X procharger (2 dyno runs and 2 track passes and blows up) all runs using new big DP filter.

Procharger supported us and asked to return it back for investigation, but since I'm overseas, if this thing not reliable enough (like f1r, f2, ysi, etc) and failed again, I'm losing on shipping fees, loosing time and loosing races.

Thinking to order and make a custom Turbo setup targeting 1600-1800rwhp,,, any recommendation (PTE vs Comp oil less)?

Video of the broken bearing inside + impeller damage
https://*******/qpFA
Old 04-15-2015, 04:43 PM
White_Lightning
Melting Slicks

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

What motor/pully combo where you running? what motor RPM and blower rpm?
Old 04-15-2015, 05:27 PM
Proace4
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What were you doing when it failed?
Old 04-15-2015, 07:35 PM
helga203
Safety Car

Received 434 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by WHITE_SHARK
Going to put back the F2 procharger, very upset with the new F1X procharger (2 dyno runs and 2 track passes and blows up) all runs using new big DP filter.

Procharger supported us and asked to return it back for investigation, but since I'm overseas, if this thing not reliable enough (like f1r, f2, ysi, etc) and failed again, I'm losing on shipping fees, loosing time and loosing races.

Thinking to order and make a custom Turbo setup targeting 1600-1800rwhp,,, any recommendation (PTE vs Comp oil less)?

Video of the broken bearing inside + impeller damage
https://*******/qpFA
What was the final whp/tq from changing blowers?? Any dyno graphes
Old 04-15-2015, 08:14 PM
SquatchMachining
Pro

Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts

I think there is another vette on this forum that blew a F1X as well but it's been kept kinda quiet. Perhaps he will chime in.

I would go the twin turbo route man, once you go turbo you don't usually go back!
Old 04-15-2015, 10:29 PM
realcanuk
Le Mans Master

Received 394 Likes on 359 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

I have read some similar stories on YB about the F1X. Seems to not be an isolated case. Good luck with whichever route you go next.
Old 04-15-2015, 11:27 PM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

Received 1,095 Likes on 746 Posts

Where is the Procharger Tech guy that posts in every good thread about Prochargers? Maybe he can help you out...

If the F1X isn't being spun passed its max impeller speed, they "should" live a long time. They should definitely cover you under warranty on a new unit.

Procharger service is usually pretty good so...hopefully they'll take care of you on some shipping.

Last edited by ajrothm; 04-15-2015 at 11:52 PM.
Old 04-16-2015, 01:12 AM
swoopjr
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've seen a lot of stuff on Yellowbullet like mentioned above. Might do some looking in the supercharger section on there.

Here's a few to get ya started
http://www.yellowbullet.com/forum/sh...&highlight=f1x

Last edited by swoopjr; 04-16-2015 at 01:19 AM.
Old 04-16-2015, 05:06 AM
WHITE_SHARK
Pro

Originally Posted by White_Lightning
What motor/pully combo where you running? what motor RPM and blower rpm?
RHS 427"
81/45 combo and near 70k blower rpm. Redline is 7100RPM and shifting on 6800-6900rpm

F1X: Car made 917whp@20psi and no track results as F1X failed on 2nd run.

F2 (modified by SM): Car made 861whp@24psi and made best 8.88 ET

We cannot compare hp exactly between the two dyno runs however, it seems pretty same power with advantage to F1X on high RPM and little advantage to F2 in mid range. The IAT was much much lower on dyno and track with F1X!

F1X dyno sheet:

F2 dyno sheet:

Old 04-16-2015, 05:25 AM
WHITE_SHARK
Pro

Originally Posted by Proace4
What were you doing when it failed?
We have a yearly drag event here,
3rd round, my prop shaft broke and could not make it,
4th round, I have won it with F2 (ETs 9.0, 9.1, 8.9, 8.8)
last round, the F1X blews up.

I did not know F1X failed but the car was damn slow lol. I was doing the 1st qualifying run

In the hptuner log,,, the full first gear,, nothing wrong,, full boost,,, then the boost went down on 2nd gear onwards, and car seems slow,, but I completed the run and then switched engine off and we opened the filter and inspected the imppeller and joined the blown F1X club

I switched to F1X in this final round to win the event and see what F1X can do on same setup over my F2. Unfurtunatly, it is ended up that I did not win and blower broke and even i did not have any record to compare againest F2 lol but no one get harmed, this is good at least.
Old 04-16-2015, 05:29 AM
WHITE_SHARK
Pro

Originally Posted by helga203
What was the final whp/tq from changing blowers?? Any dyno graphes
Dyno graph posted,,,
but max power, we made 1230whp with F2@30psi
No final number with F1X blower.

Also the track prep is not good enough to go full power,,, you will spin.
Old 04-16-2015, 05:35 AM
WHITE_SHARK
Pro

Originally Posted by SquatchMachining
I think there is another vette on this forum that blew a F1X as well but it's been kept kinda quiet. Perhaps he will chime in.

I would go the twin turbo route man, once you go turbo you don't usually go back!
I'm expecting more F1X failed, however some F1X still surviving!

The shop I'm dealing with is a big procharger dealer and he made 3 F1X cars including mine. 2 F1X on manual cars survived until one of them went on hist first test in the drag and it is failed in lanuch and mine on auto also failed on drag. 3rd car doing fine till now since old times with lot of dynos and street pulls (no drag at all).

Turbo option under study but again I want to see what F2 is capable with full power before I switch. I will be happied if F1X will be reliable enough to see also what will happen on max effort power.
Old 04-16-2015, 05:36 AM
WHITE_SHARK
Pro

Originally Posted by realcanuk
I have read some similar stories on YB about the F1X. Seems to not be an isolated case. Good luck with whichever route you go next.
Bad stories thank you realcanuk
Old 04-16-2015, 05:39 AM
WHITE_SHARK
Pro

Originally Posted by ajrothm
Where is the Procharger Tech guy that posts in every good thread about Prochargers? Maybe he can help you out...

If the F1X isn't being spun passed its max impeller speed, they "should" live a long time. They should definitely cover you under warranty on a new unit.

Procharger service is usually pretty good so...hopefully they'll take care of you on some shipping.

Aaccording to the shop, they requested all info and dyno number and they provided us now with return number for inspection. First reply from them was shoking on email but let us see what they will do. We are sending it on our cost of course overseas and it is heavy unit!
Old 04-16-2015, 05:43 AM
WHITE_SHARK
Pro

Originally Posted by swoopjr
I've seen a lot of stuff on Yellowbullet like mentioned above. Might do some looking in the supercharger section on there.

Here's a few to get ya started

Yeah I saw the first one, but second one is new!
See this also:

http://www.yellowbullet.com/forum/sh...ht=f1x+blow+up

I hope procharger admit they have a tech issue on F1X and have a permanent fix for it! it is a great blower indeed!
Old 04-17-2015, 11:37 AM
0ProChargerTech
Former Vendor

Received 68 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by WHITE_SHARK

I hope procharger admit they have a tech issue on F1X and have a permanent fix for it! it is a great blower indeed!
ABOUT YOUR BLOWER:

I can say that your blowers failure is being reviewed.
Please keep in contact with your service tech, as they review it.
They take breakage such as yours very seriously.

IN GENERAL ABOUT THE F-1X

For people to say F-1X's have issues, but not F-2s
Is not logical.

There is nothing different inside the gear box of the F-1X vs the F-2
Only the impeller is different

The F-1X's have a higher failure rate then say an F-2, because they all seemed to get used harder, spun faster, and used more aggressively then the F-2.
A lot of which are used in heads up racing.

Many Many of the failures on the YellowBullet, were linked to car combination issues.
(Such as not enough Bypass valves, way over spun blowers, etc.)
Since people have made those changes, the failure rate has dropped VERY drastically, and the cars are still going just as fast.

SIDE NOTE:
The "other" F-1X being mentioned on this forum, was also overspun, and acknowledged by the customer. (it was a time bomb)
Its not that its a big "secret" that it became damaged. But more then likely the owner knows his responsibility of using something outside of its recommended range of use. (AKA, not blaming the blower)
An over spun blower is a time bomb, its just a matter of time before a failure happens. No matter what brand supercharger is being used.

Last edited by ProChargerTech; 04-17-2015 at 12:43 PM.
Old 04-17-2015, 02:15 PM
Proace4
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

on YB you stated in some cases it was the way the driver did the burnout that also lead to breakage. "Whacking" the throttle was the term I believe used...

Get notified of new replies

To Any one have broke his F1X procharger? TT time?

Old 04-17-2015, 03:08 PM
0ProChargerTech
Former Vendor

Received 68 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Proace4
on YB you stated in some cases it was the way the driver did the burnout that also lead to breakage. "Whacking" the throttle was the term I believe used...
Yes, burnouts at 9,000rpm with the bypass valves wide open, banging off the revlimiter is NOT going to equal a happy blower. (or any belt driven device off the front of the crankshaft)

The customer that was doing that broke (4) blowers in a row in the burnout box. He changed how he did his burn-outs to a much more "sane" 5-6k rpm staying off the revlimiter and hasn't broke a blower since. (That was over a year ago now)
Old 04-18-2015, 07:41 AM
WHITE_SHARK
Pro

Please find my feedback below in blue color:

Originally Posted by ProChargerTech
ABOUT YOUR BLOWER:

I can say that your blowers failure is being reviewed.
Please keep in contact with your service tech, as they review it.
They take breakage such as yours very seriously.

Actually I'm following with the shop on daily basis to inspect the mess and damage after this failure and to check on status for F1X fix. I got a strange and disappointed call yesterday from the shop and he mentioned this is not covered by warranty and it will cost me around $2100 to fix it!

He told me Procharger said that any COG system will not be under warranty and even with the 10 rip system it might be under warranty or not depending on procharger investigation! How can I manage and trust that especially I'm overseas, it is not acceptable for me. Also he offered me a nice reduced price for F1X-12R as replacement for the F1X and this was as per procharger special offer for me only,,, but again this is a complete new project and not yet ready to go to gear drive with my car yet! Also God's know if that is it reliable or it will fail and I will be charged maybe $4k to fix it!

I'm refusing to pay single penny to fix the F1X and I cannot believe I paid more than $4000 and drive this less than 2 MINUTES then it blew up immediately with same setup and car I used to run the F2 with it since last year. I asked the dealer about the reason of this failure but he could not give me any reason but it seems procharger exactly know why it is failed and even you estimated the fix cost for it $2100!! which is more than %50 of its original cost for a unit.

My first concern from beginning is not about the money as I wanted to know the root cause of failure. I asked the shop if the failure happened is similar to the one occurred to the other customer (who procharger fixed it under warranty) and he mentioned he don't know but from outside it seems the impeller touched down. So I'm not sure why and how I'm charged here and not covered! Any differences between the two cases?

IN GENERAL ABOUT THE F-1X

For people to say F-1X's have issues, but not F-2s
Is not logical.

There is nothing different inside the gear box of the F-1X vs the F-2
Only the impeller is different

The F-1X's have a higher failure rate then say an F-2, because they all seemed to get used harder, spun faster, and used more aggressively then the F-2.
A lot of which are used in heads up racing.

Many Many of the failures on the YellowBullet, were linked to car combination issues.
(Such as not enough Bypass valves, way over spun blowers, etc.)
Since people have made those changes, the failure rate has dropped VERY drastically, and the cars are still going just as fast.

As I mentioned, we have seen here 3 F1X units,, two of them failed… I have read on internet forums the failure of F1X from 3-4 passes and it got fixed and failed again many times for different customers… I have seen YOUR POSTS stating that you are trying and changing different bearings on F1X and you are trying to improve the X by doing internal changes so don't tell me please F2 is like F1X and only the impeller is different!

On other hand,,, I have not seen any F1R or F2 or D1 failed at least here not a single time failed at all during the past 2years here in my area taking all the beatings, drag, burn outs,,,other parts broken but not the superchargers!! So why only F1X? THIS IS NOT LOGICAL.

Making lot of non sense excuses (some of them might be true though!) and stating ths F1X has a higher rate failure confirms they have a lot of issues and as professional company you should consider the production line of F1X is a complete failure since you need to produce a more efficient, improved and MORE reliable and less failure rate than the previous ones,,, development should be forward not backward with maybe some low quality parts used inside to reduce costs!

SIDE NOTE:
The "other" F-1X being mentioned on this forum, was also overspun, and acknowledged by the customer. (it was a time bomb)
Its not that its a big "secret" that it became damaged. But more then likely the owner knows his responsibility of using something outside of its recommended range of use. (AKA, not blaming the blower)
An over spun blower is a time bomb, its just a matter of time before a failure happens. No matter what brand supercharger is being used.

I did not overspin it and still did not do any max effort on it yet it is very obvious from that 917whp dyno with #20 boost and shifting on 6500 on 1st to 2nd gear and 6850RPM from 2nd to 3rd. It seems Procharger dealing with customers not equally and using the customers as R&D and even charge them to fix the failures!

I have one last question to procharger before I will post my selling thread for all my procharger units including the running F2:

If I fix the F1X on my OWN cost $2100 (which the dealer should pay!) and install it again, can you cover it under warranty and guarantee that it will survive only one complete racing round with 5-7 passes with same COG setup and spinning it to just below MAX speed 72k?

Depending on the answer, I might keep mine or sell all or keep them for city cruising and enjoying its sound but not for RACING !
Old 04-18-2015, 08:46 AM
realcanuk
Le Mans Master

Received 394 Likes on 359 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

This kind of stuff is crazy. You know what you did with your blower, regardless of what anyone else says. If I was in your situation, and assuming I knew that I didn't abuse the blower in any way, I personally would never give another dime to procharger. At the price of these things, we need someone that stands behind the product.
Good luck with your decisions.

Quick Reply: Any one have broke his F1X procharger? TT time?