C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Your thoughts on building a wife friendly fi c6?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2015, 01:48 PM
Xtremespeed
Burning Brakes

Location: The only state to ever kick another country's ass! TEXAS
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Your thoughts on building a wife friendly fi c6?

I've been wearing out Matt at FSP, Doug at ECS and Patrick G, trying to plan my first fi setup. After years of chasing 9 sec time slips in a n2o Camaro, a stock setup doesn't hold my interest long, so my plan is to install the base ECS kit with meth and headers. This however will not be a drag setup although it may eventually make a pass on occasion.

One of my main concerns is keeping the car enjoyable for the long road trips that my wife and I enjoy together. It seems that cats are not really an option with this setup and that will really affect the sound level. The car already has a Magnaflow axle back system on it. For comparison, my '00 Camaro that went a best of 10.12 @ 133 had ARH cats on it to keep the sound level down. Without fi and meth, this wasn't a problem but apparently will be with fi and meth.

Another issue seems to be the bov. I have read a few things and talked to Doug at ECS and I'm looking into installing 2 bov's to reduce the noise. I love the whistle of the superchargers, but I don't want the street sweeper sound I've read about on here.

Matt recommended at least a valve spring change for the power levels I'm looking at, and it almost seems a waste not to change the cam at the same time since the valve springs are the hardest part, but once again, it's something that will undoubtedly add to the noise levels.

I'm afraid I already know the answer (leave the car stock or live with the noise levels) but if you guys have any thoughts or ideas on a setup that will be a happy medium I'd love to hear about it.

BUILD STARTED IN POST 36

Last edited by Xtremespeed; 06-28-2015 at 12:37 AM.
Old 05-23-2015, 02:25 PM
Eric ray
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This might intrest you:
Old 05-23-2015, 02:53 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

My wife can drive my 1200rwhp ECS powered vette. Drives great. Just keep some good mufflers on it to keep it down.

No reason to mess with something like the i1 as long as she has throttle control.
Old 05-23-2015, 02:55 PM
Xtremespeed
Burning Brakes

Cool thought. Thanks for the info. I really am kinda set on the ECS setup though. Just interested in ways to keep it as quiet as possible through the exhaust and bov.
Old 05-23-2015, 03:03 PM
Xtremespeed
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Unreal
My wife can drive my 1200rwhp ECS powered vette. Drives great. Just keep some good mufflers on it to keep it down.

No reason to mess with something like the i1 as long as she has throttle control.
I know what you mean. Wife will actually drive the car very little. It's just a matter of being able to talk and listen to the radio on long trips without the exhaust and bov being too loud. Corvette's have so much road noise to contend with already.
Old 05-23-2015, 03:03 PM
MARSC6
Le Mans Master

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

The exhaust will be considerably louder after the FI and headers are installed. Not sure how loud your axle back is now but you may need to look for a quieter option.

The BOV won't be bad depending on your gear selection. Just don't cruise around town in 2nd gear and its not really that loud.

Last edited by MARSC6; 05-23-2015 at 03:06 PM.
Old 05-23-2015, 03:05 PM
Xtremespeed
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by MARSC6
The exhaust will be considerably louder after the FI and headers are installed. Not sure how loud your axle back is now but you may need to look for a quieter option.
It's really not loud at all and my wife doesn't mind it, but I still have manifolds and cats right now.
Old 05-23-2015, 03:09 PM
MARSC6
Le Mans Master

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Xtremespeed
It's really not loud at all and my wife doesn't mind it, but I still have manifolds and cats right now.
Just the headers make a huge change.
Old 05-23-2015, 03:16 PM
Xtremespeed
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by MARSC6
Just the headers make a huge change.
Exactly what I'm worried about. Maybe I need to look at using a cutout to bypass the cats under boost conditions or extra bullet mufflers at the end of the x pipe or both. Surely I can find some way to tone it down for cruising.

Still want to see if anyone has any experience running 2 bov's to reduce the noise there as well.
Old 05-23-2015, 03:59 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Run 2 BOVs, but has no effect in noise IMO. In fact made it louder but I have a Ysi pullied for max boost. Putting a filter on a BOV makes it quieter.
Old 05-23-2015, 04:19 PM
Blackonblacksls
Drifting

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

Put some z06 or zr1 mufflers if you want to keep noise down and still breathe good.
Old 05-23-2015, 04:39 PM
realcanuk
Le Mans Master

Received 394 Likes on 359 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Running a Vortech Mondo BOV which has a filter on it and I don't get that street sweeper noise, which I didn't want. I actually don't hear it at all in the car.
Old 05-23-2015, 06:49 PM
Xtremespeed
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by realcanuk
Running a Vortech Mondo BOV which has a filter on it and I don't get that street sweeper noise, which I didn't want. I actually don't hear it at all in the car.
Cool. That's what I'm looking for.

Doug at ECS I think is the one that mentioned that running 2 all but eliminates the noise so I'm surprised to hear it made it louder for some.
Old 05-23-2015, 07:01 PM
Xtremespeed
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Blackonblacksls
Put some z06 or zr1 mufflers if you want to keep noise down and still breathe good.
That might be an option but honestly, most Z06 mufflers I have heard, after adding headers and removing cats, sounds pretty loud to me, even with the blades closed, just a higher pitch than the Magnaflow. That's why I was thinking about adding some bullets or something inline or using cats and a cutout to bypass them under boost. Just thinking out loud so to speak.
Old 05-23-2015, 07:36 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Cool. That's what I'm looking for.

Doug at ECS I think is the one that mentioned that running 2 all but eliminates the noise so I'm surprised to hear it made it louder for some.
On the base kit it should make it quieter. When you have a bigger blower maxing out one, and add a second, that is just more air escaping and louder. So unless you have a big blower pullied for max, shouldn't be louder. In my case 1 BOV couldn't vent enough so adding a second just added more noise and more air getting out.
Old 05-23-2015, 08:34 PM
Streetk14
Melting Slicks

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

That might be an option but honestly, most Z06 mufflers I have heard, after adding headers and removing cats, sounds pretty loud to me, even with the blades closed, just a higher pitch than the Magnaflow. That's why I was thinking about adding some bullets or something inline or using cats and a cutout to bypass them under boost. Just thinking out loud so to speak.
I have cats on my setup, but my ZR1 mufflers are whisper quiet with my ARH headers. It's so quiet with the flaps closed, they're almost always open. The ZR1 or 2011+ Z06 mufflers are the best of both worlds if you ask me.
Old 05-23-2015, 09:11 PM
Xtremespeed
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Streetk14
I have cats on my setup, but my ZR1 mufflers are whisper quiet with my ARH headers. It's so quiet with the flaps closed, they're almost always open. The ZR1 or 2011+ Z06 mufflers are the best of both worlds if you ask me.
So are you running the ARH cats? Not wooried about melting them down?What's difference in the later model ZR1 or Z06 mufflers vs. the older ones? My last Vette was an '07 Z06 so I'm familiar with them.

Get notified of new replies

To Your thoughts on building a wife friendly fi c6?

Old 05-24-2015, 12:57 AM
Streetk14
Melting Slicks

Yes, I have the ARH cats. Others may have had different experiences than me, but I've had pretty good luck with cats. Tuning and how you use the car will have a large bearing on how they survive. It's a risk I'm willing to take.

And the newer Z06 or ZR1 cans are different than the original 2006-2010 Zo6 bi-modes. Quieter in quiet mode and quite aggressive and awesome sounding when open. You can easily identify them as they have perforations inside the tips kind of like the C6 NPP mufflers.
Old 05-24-2015, 08:49 AM
Xtremespeed
Burning Brakes

Lots of good info. Are you running meth on your setup? I believe it is a bigger contributor to cat problems than just fi.
Old 05-24-2015, 01:23 PM
Streetk14
Melting Slicks

Lots of good info. Are you running meth on your setup? I believe it is a bigger contributor to cat problems than just fi.

Yes, I've ran meth on my last 3 LS builds. I don't think meth itself is an issue with cats. I think it's the fact that most running meth are running more boost and making more power.

Some guys have a theory that running rich is harmful to cats. I have to disagree based on experience and what I see in GM factory tune files. Look at a ZR1 file, and you'll see they're in the .71 lambda range (~10.5:1) from 5500 rpm on up. Near peak torque, they still command around .74 (~10.86:1). These are ~550 rwhp cars that need to warranty the cats for 100k miles.

Again, this is just my opinion, but I think it's more about tuning, power level, and how it's driven. I try to keep my boost levels reasonable so I can run a decent amount of ignition timing. That might be tough to do on something like an un-restricted ECS system making ~15 psi.

Some guys just say dump the cats with FI. I like the lack of smell and the more mellow exhaust tone with them. Just this Friday, I finished working on a fully catless BMW 135i. The thing stunk up the entire shop. I could smell it while driving with the windows down. We also had a newer 997 Turbo S in the shop with no cats. Same thing --- smelled like someone was running a 60's small block car in the shop. Everyone was yelling at the tech to turn it off or hook up the ventilation system.

In case you're curious, here's what my car sounds like with the catted ARH headers and ZR1 axle-back:

Quick Reply: Your thoughts on building a wife friendly fi c6?