C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help me decide, I'm too darn indecisive

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2015, 04:08 AM
GaragedLS2
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Help me decide, I'm too darn indecisive

Hey guys, so I am back and forth on what to do to my car at this point. I'm looking to make around 700whp with room to grow. I had a D1SC Procharger but wanted to go turbo so I sold it. I have a setup in mind and wanted to get some input from the people in the know on the forums. What I'm looking to do is either this custom turbo setup, a 2000SL kit or F1 kit or purchase a used APS twin kit for my 07 LS2.

Here is the turbo setup I'm looking into doing. Let me know if anything is missing and if you think the setup would work.

-Custom Y pipe with 2.5" exhaust off stock manifolds w/ vbands welded on running to back with a 76mm Comp Oilless billet .96 a/r turbo
-Custom 2.5" charge pipes to a treadstone front mount intercooler with 3" inlet/outlets ( this will all have 5ply silicone couplers w/ tbolt clamps)
- Tial 44mm or Precision 46mm wastegate
- Tial 50mm BOV
- All stainless cooling lines to turbo with -AN fittings
- LC-1 Wideband
- Prosport Evo Gauges
- Heat coat all piping
- Kenne Bell BAP w/ racetronix harness
- 850cc fuel injectors

I will be running on the stock pump and trying to go for about 700whp with the BAP, racetronix harness and 850cc injectors. I will upgrade the fuel system down the road and add boost. I am also not opposed to meth injection but ultimately would have a good 1000whp E85 fuel system.

I really li ke the idea of a rear mount, oilless turbo but am not sure what headaches I will run into w/ the custom work. I was quoted about 2k in labor and another 750 in piping but dont want to end up spending 5k on custom work when I couldve just purchased a 10k kit.

If you guys have any input or see something I missed, please let me know.

My goal is a 10 second car for $10k.
Old 05-30-2015, 10:19 AM
Jtaugner
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GaragedLS2

I really li ke the idea of a rear mount, oilless turbo but am not sure what headaches I will run into w/ the custom work. I was quoted about 2k in labor and another 750 in piping but dont want to end up spending 5k on custom work when I couldve just purchased a 10k kit.
How are you planning on getting the coolant from the engine to the turbo? Pump system?
Old 05-30-2015, 11:04 AM
GaragedLS2
Racer

Originally Posted by Jtaugner
How are you planning on getting the coolant from the engine to the turbo? Pump system?
Everything I've read states that the water pump is strong enough to do the job.
Old 05-30-2015, 05:34 PM
neverstop
Melting Slicks

Received 108 Likes on 102 Posts

really surprised you sold the D1SC for 700whp goal? that is so easy to do with D1SC and so reliable when done properly and will shred the tires until 80mph.

If it were me I'd just do custom rear mount turbo with ceramic oil less comp turbo.
Old 05-30-2015, 07:55 PM
GaragedLS2
Racer

Originally Posted by neverstop
really surprised you sold the D1SC for 700whp goal? that is so easy to do with D1SC and so reliable when done properly and will shred the tires until 80mph.

If it were me I'd just do custom rear mount turbo with ceramic oil less comp turbo.
The D1 setup I had with meth and a small cam made mid 700s. I think it was pretty close to its limits and I didnt want to keep worrying about belts with smaller pulleys. My ultimate goal is to break 1000hp and theres no way the D1 wouldve got me there. That is probably the main reason I sold the kit. I've also always been a big turbo guy so that has played a major roll in my decision. Just wanted to make sure it was feasible to go the rear mount direction and not just a basic F1 setup to make 1k.

I think once you get upwards of 1000hp the difference between the pros/cons of the turbo vs. centri setup start to even out anyway.
Old 06-02-2015, 05:29 PM
GaragedLS2
Racer

OK, I ended up picking up the Comp 7679 oil-less, .96 A/R, Billet wheel turbo and will meet with my fab guy today. Hopefully I can pull some good numbers out of this thing and have some decent spool characteristics since it a weekend street car.

Anybody have experience with these that could chime in on where they ran the water lines to/from on these oil-less setups?
Old 06-02-2015, 11:20 PM
carbide
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by GaragedLS2
OK, I ended up picking up the Comp 7679 oil-less, .96 A/R, Billet wheel turbo and will meet with my fab guy today. Hopefully I can pull some good numbers out of this thing and have some decent spool characteristics since it a weekend street car.

Anybody have experience with these that could chime in on where they ran the water lines to/from on these oil-less setups?
This is the exact setup I have been contemplating on my build, however, i keep hearing these horror stories about the COMP Oil-less turbos... and then you start to wonder why the other leaders in to turbo technology don't manufacture something similiar... Anyway

Why can't you just tee into the heater core hoses?
Old 06-03-2015, 11:28 AM
GaragedLS2
Racer

Yeah, Ive read good and bad reviews on the turbo. for a $2k+ turbo, I'd hope that it lasts. luckily its easily accessible and If i need to call comp and get a replacement, I should be able to. The car is driven a few times a month so the 50k service interval will probably never be reached by me during ownership of the car ( i tend to go through cars rather quickly) so I'm not too concerned with that.

putting a 't' into the heater hose is not a bad idea I suppose. Is that the way you see most people doing it? I tried to find some pictures but couldnt come up with anything.

Get notified of new replies

To Help me decide, I'm too darn indecisive

Quick Reply: Help me decide, I'm too darn indecisive