C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch change with Supercharger

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2015, 03:48 PM
darkknight91
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Clutch change with Supercharger

Was wondering if anyone here has ever had to change a clutch with an Edelbrock E force..

Spoke to a shop today and they quoted me $2500 just for installation of the clutch for my vette, because they have to take the e force, because it wont allow the motor to tilt enough to drop the tranny blah blah blah

has anyone else experienced this issue? please any steer in the right direction would help cause my clutch is pretty much completely gone..

thank you.
Old 08-10-2015, 03:55 PM
Xtremespeed
Burning Brakes

Location: The only state to ever kick another country's ass! TEXAS
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

$2500 is crazy just for labor and you don't have to pull the supercharger to change the clutch. Normal labor is usually around $1K.
Old 08-10-2015, 03:59 PM
darkknight91
Advanced

Originally Posted by Xtremespeed
$2500 is crazy just for labor and you don't have to pull the supercharger to change the clutch. Normal labor is usually around $1K.

That's what I said, after looking thru the forum for a couple of days $800-$1000 is the range I was expecting, they said that with the E force it wouldn't allow them to tilt motor enough since it sits on top.
Old 08-10-2015, 04:26 PM
Matt @ FSP
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

If it has headers $950.. If its stock exhaust manifold car $900....

That is our current pricing just to give you an idea.
Old 08-10-2015, 04:34 PM
Detoxx03
Safety Car

Received 377 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by darkknight91
Was wondering if anyone here has ever had to change a clutch with an Edelbrock E force..

Spoke to a shop today and they quoted me $2500 just for installation of the clutch for my vette, because they have to take the e force, because it wont allow the motor to tilt enough to drop the tranny blah blah blah

has anyone else experienced this issue? please any steer in the right direction would help cause my clutch is pretty much completely gone..

thank you.
Man I'm glad you came here to read and ask up cause that explanation they gave you was flat out asinine.
Old 08-10-2015, 04:46 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

Received 1,194 Likes on 1,053 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

I'll cut you a deal.. $2,450
Old 08-10-2015, 04:58 PM
M M Alexander
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by schpenxel
I'll cut you a deal.. $2,450
^^^THIS^^^
Old 08-10-2015, 05:29 PM
darkknight91
Advanced

Originally Posted by Matt @ FSP
If it has headers $950.. If its stock exhaust manifold car $900....

That is our current pricing just to give you an idea.

So your saying regardless of the fact that it has the E force you should be able to do the clutch swap no problem?.. Because if so, looks like I'm making a trip up to bradenton to do it with you guys..
Old 08-10-2015, 05:38 PM
ZAKO6
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

$2500 with parts is even steep. Maybe he is sayin he has to take off blower to get at the bolts on bellhousing?? Im not sure on the clearance between the blower and firewall/base of the windshield there but I'm sure it's pretty tight. Either way $2500 even with parts seems steep. $2500 with clutch, remote bleeder, new flywheel and installation would sound a little more reasonable. But def. make sure whoever does the clutch does a remote bleeder.

What kind of clutch are you going with?

Last edited by ZAKO6; 08-10-2015 at 05:42 PM.
Old 08-10-2015, 06:01 PM
darkknight91
Advanced

Originally Posted by ZAKO6
$2500 with parts is even steep. Maybe he is sayin he has to take off blower to get at the bolts on bellhousing?? Im not sure on the clearance between the blower and firewall/base of the windshield there but I'm sure it's pretty tight. Either way $2500 even with parts seems steep. $2500 with clutch, remote bleeder, new flywheel and installation would sound a little more reasonable. But def. make sure whoever does the clutch does a remote bleeder.

What kind of clutch are you going with?

Yes it was $2500 not including the clutch ! Thats why I almost had a heart attack.. The shop said they wouldn't be able to do the install without removing it, which I'm having a hard time believing that. I'm most likely going to be doing a Mcleod RXT twin disc.
Old 08-10-2015, 07:27 PM
ZAKO6
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ya +1 to RXT! An make sure its not the RST.
But on the other subject, i would look into another shop.
They may be correct in saying that you have to pull the edelbrock but I think you can still get a better price.
I was quoted $2000 forRXT install with remote bleeder. So if they do have to pull the blower it shouldn't be much more. I havent seen the e-force in person but it can't take more than an hour to remove. Once you get the belt removed it's like remiving an intake manifold.....maybe a dozen bolts?
Old 08-11-2015, 08:40 AM
Matt @ FSP
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '13

So your saying regardless of the fact that it has the E force you should be able to do the clutch swap no problem?.. Because if so, looks like I'm making a trip up to bradenton to do it with you guys..
Yep not a problem.

We have a deal going on right now which is the McLeod RXT Twin Disc Clutch Kit, McLeod Steel Billet Flywheel, GM Slave Cylinder, Motul Fluid, Installed for $2300. The Mantic 9000 Twin Clutch Kit which comes with the Steel Billet Flywheel, GM Slave Cylinder, Steel Billet Flywheel, Motul Fluid would be $2350 installed.
Old 08-11-2015, 08:53 AM
darkknight91
Advanced

Originally Posted by Matt @ FSP
Yep not a problem.

We have a deal going on right now which is the McLeod RXT Twin Disc Clutch Kit, McLeod Steel Billet Flywheel, GM Slave Cylinder, Motul Fluid, Installed for $2300. The Mantic 9000 Twin Clutch Kit which comes with the Steel Billet Flywheel, GM Slave Cylinder, Steel Billet Flywheel, Motul Fluid would be $2350 installed.

Thanks for reaching out ! Well after reading that we will definitely be in touch Matt, sounds like a lot better of a deal then I was getting.
Old 08-11-2015, 09:03 AM
Matt @ FSP
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '13

Thanks for reaching out ! Well after reading that we will definitely be in touch Matt, sounds like a lot better of a deal then I was getting.
No problem bud.. You do have a couple of good shops down in that Miami area too such as Redline and Lashway if you are looking for someone closer.
Old 08-11-2015, 09:05 AM
Nosferatu
Le Mans Master

Received 127 Likes on 80 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by ZAKO6
But def. make sure whoever does the clutch does a remote bleeder.
Maybe Matt will chime in but he specifically told me not to bother going with a remote bleeder when I had him install the Mantic. Other than an easy clutch fluid change, any other reason to go with one?
Old 08-11-2015, 09:11 AM
Matt @ FSP
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by Nosferatu
Maybe Matt will chime in but he specifically told me not to bother going with a remote bleeder when I had him install the Mantic. Other than an easy clutch fluid change, any other reason to go with one?
I have seen way too many remote bleeders leak... Then down the paint, and poof no more engine bay paint... Not a big fan here.
Old 08-11-2015, 12:29 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

If you do remote, do the katech. I wouldn't touch any other. It is the only quality one I've seen.

No reason to touch the blower to do a clutch. $2500 in labor you could remove the whole drivetrain, replace the motor on a stand, and put it back in. That is crazy.

Get notified of new replies

To Clutch change with Supercharger

Old 08-11-2015, 05:20 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '15

Several of them try to use an off the shelf fitting to screw into where the original bleeder screw goes.. which doesn't seal very well and thus leaks. I am assuming the Katech one uses a custom cut piece so that it actually seals properly. Monster does the same, but I've never seen one in person.

ECS uses an off the shelf AN style fitting with a washer between the fitting and the slave to act as a seal. Mine has worked fine so far, but I also did a very good job smoothing out the surface that the seal actually seals against on the slave, and I use a new seal every time I touch it.
Old 08-11-2015, 05:49 PM
DOUG @ ECS
Premium Supporting Vendor

Location: Providing the most proven supercharger kits for your C5/6/7 609-752-0321
Received 1,085 Likes on 656 Posts

Originally Posted by schpenxel
Several of them try to use an off the shelf fitting to screw into where the original bleeder screw goes.. which doesn't seal very well and thus leaks. I am assuming the Katech one uses a custom cut piece so that it actually seals properly. Monster does the same, but I've never seen one in person.

ECS uses an off the shelf AN style fitting with a washer between the fitting and the slave to act as a seal. Mine has worked fine so far, but I also did a very good job smoothing out the surface that the seal actually seals against on the slave, and I use a new seal every time I touch it.

We manufacturer the lines here ourselves and to date have never had one leak that I have ever heard of. I also used to not be a fan of them which is why we started making them ourselves. However when they do work properly it makes changing out the clutch fluid so much nicer.
Old 08-11-2015, 06:08 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '15

The hose itself does look nice and has crimped fittings. I like that the hose is covered in a clear cover so you don't have to worry about a braided stainless line rubbing up against/through stuff.

I have not had any hints of a leak with the ECS remote bleeder, and we all know I have mine apart monthly, so I'd know

I just would try to do a good job cleaning up the area where it seals on the slave side. Bottom of first page of the instructions. I took a random orbital sander with some really fine paper on it (like 1500 fine) and damn near polished the thing to a shine. Overkill? Probably.. but it worked fine for me.

http://www.eastcoastsupercharging.co...014_102714.pdf

Last edited by schpenxel; 08-11-2015 at 06:15 PM.

Quick Reply: Clutch change with Supercharger