C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got lucky, and thanks to Dave Steck and Brian Tooley.

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2015, 04:30 PM
realcanuk
Le Mans Master

Received 394 Likes on 359 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Default Got lucky, and thanks to Dave Steck and Brian Tooley.

It goes like this. My car was behaving as though it had a miss, but showing no miss fires in the logs. The only unusual thing I could see was a slight, but very steady little hiccup in the MAP reading.

I have to say thanks and give credit to Dave Steck. With just the little info I gave above he immediately said it sounds like a broken valve spring.... and bingo.... he was right on.
The reason I say I got lucky, is because we all know a broken spring can lead to some ugly damage, but nothing...... just the spring.

I also want to thank Brian Tooley and his guys on the phones. The most amazing service ever. After speaking with Brian, he said it is extremely rare for one of these springs to break and there could be another issue. Guy is a genius.... because he insisted its so rare we dug deeper, and found that through a series of miscommunication, I had the wrong spring locators.

I am pissed at the moron who assembled the heads, since I feel he should have noticed this, but that ship has sailed long ago. No big harm done thankfully.
Brian sent me out new springs overnight and we installed them with the correct locators. All good.

While I was at it, I decided to replace the intercooler to throttle body pipe with a new 4 inch one. I didn't like where I had put the MAF before, so I also moved its location.

All that is left in beads on the pipe, powder coating and a little fine tuning for the bigger pipe.. Should be back together tomorrow.

Old 09-02-2015, 04:35 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

Received 1,194 Likes on 1,053 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Now that is one broke *** valve spring

Very glad you caught this. Many (including me more than likely) would have kept driving it and likely destroyed something.
Old 09-02-2015, 04:37 PM
realcanuk
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by schpenxel
Now that is one broke *** valve spring

Very glad you caught this. Many (including me more than likely) would have kept driving it and likely destroyed something.
I am like that. If I feel the slightest thing seems wrong, I have to figure it out. This time a good thing........ sometimes just drives ya crazy. LOL
Old 09-02-2015, 05:17 PM
Xtremespeed
Burning Brakes

Location: The only state to ever kick another country's ass! TEXAS
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Glad you saved it. What was the difference in the new and old locators?
Old 09-02-2015, 05:55 PM
neverstop
Melting Slicks

Received 108 Likes on 102 Posts

phew! close call, that spring is seriously busted. sometimes it's hard to tell with these monster setups when something that small is off what exactly is going on so nice work figuring that out. would suck to grenade that beautiful motor that early in its life....
Old 09-02-2015, 08:52 PM
realcanuk
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by Xtremespeed
Glad you saved it. What was the difference in the new and old locators?

when I ordered the springs, I was asked... bronze or regular guides ? I have bronze guides and I guess normally these are bigger, so that's what Brian sent.
On my oddball heads, it seems the bronze guides are the same size as non bronze. Because of this the center hole of the locator was too big and allows the bottom of the spring to move around.
Old 09-02-2015, 09:55 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

Blame Canada.

Good catch. I'm thinking of swapping springs, but need to get all my other work done first.
Old 09-02-2015, 10:31 PM
Xtremespeed
Burning Brakes

Location: The only state to ever kick another country's ass! TEXAS
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by realcanuk
when I ordered the springs, I was asked... bronze or regular guides ? I have bronze guides and I guess normally these are bigger, so that's what Brian sent.
On my oddball heads, it seems the bronze guides are the same size as non bronze. Because of this the center hole of the locator was too big and allows the bottom of the spring to move around.
Gotcha. That would make sense. Good info for people to be aware of.
Old 09-03-2015, 11:32 AM
neutron82
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,261 Likes on 1,056 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C5 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

ugh that sucks!... I'm glad you were able to catch and correct it before it got any worse and it is also good to see people supporting each other and helping out rather than just selling parts
Old 09-03-2015, 12:55 PM
lt1z
Melting Slicks

Received 170 Likes on 143 Posts

Curious what cam you are running with the 1.82 rockers? Moving the MAF is also going to effect your tune quite a bit.
Old 09-03-2015, 04:54 PM
realcanuk
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by lt1z
Curious what cam you are running with the 1.82 rockers? Moving the MAF is also going to effect your tune quite a bit.
My cam was spec'd taking the rockers into consideration. Its .610/.637 lift.

Yes, I expect that change but the bigger pipe will change it anyways.
Its all together and running great. I am amazed at how much the pipe size effects the maf readings. I added 30% across the board, and now will be fine tuning over the next few days. Cant hurt to extend the maf range, that's for sure.

New pipe completed........

On a side note, my shop just got the latest software for the dynapak. It has a very cool quarter mile simulator that takes the data from you dyno run and calculates quarter mile time and speed. No clue yet how accurate it is, but they seem to think it will be... Actually almost makes sense for my car, from what I have seen others run. I guess I will find out if I make it to the track.

Old 09-03-2015, 05:02 PM
neverstop
Melting Slicks

Received 108 Likes on 102 Posts

looks good!

also not sure what methanol tips you are running but if dual M15, Julio at Alky control recommends putting those tips as far from the throttle body as possible down by intercooler outlet to give plenty of time at high rpm for gas phase change and even distribution. not sure how much it really matters but just fyi.
Old 09-03-2015, 05:25 PM
realcanuk
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by neverstop
looks good!

also not sure what methanol tips you are running but if dual M15, Julio at Alky control recommends putting those tips as far from the throttle body as possible down by intercooler outlet to give plenty of time at high rpm for gas phase change and even distribution. not sure how much it really matters but just fyi.
Good info.. but too late for me. LOL ! Actually, I was running a 10 and 15, but found it too much. Trying a 15 and 5 now and will see how that goes.
Old 09-03-2015, 05:33 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

Just means you don't have enough air. Dual 15s is what the cool kids run.
Old 09-03-2015, 05:45 PM
realcanuk
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by Unreal
Just means you don't have enough air. Dual 15s is what the cool kids run.
I ain't cool enough for that much meth !!!
Old 09-03-2015, 05:56 PM
COSPEED
Melting Slicks

Received 118 Likes on 99 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

I ain't cool enough for that much meth !!!
Both very respected and knowledgeable!! Far to many shops do NOT properly heat cycle new valve springs when doing a cam install and that leads to breakage down the road. You MUST heat cycle them a few cycles before revving high to avoid this.

Good thing you caught it before worse happened!
Old 09-03-2015, 05:59 PM
realcanuk
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by coSPEED2
Both very respected and knowledgeable!! Far to many shops do NOT properly heat cycle new valve springs when doing a cam install and that leads to breakage down the road. You MUST heat cycle them a few cycles before revving high to avoid this.

Good thing you caught it before worse happened!
Yes! I used to preach the heat cycle thing but for some reason most didn't want to hear it. I always do it myself.

Get notified of new replies

To Got lucky, and thanks to Dave Steck and Brian Tooley.

Old 09-03-2015, 06:04 PM
COSPEED
Melting Slicks

Received 118 Likes on 99 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Yes! I used to preach the heat cycle thing but for some reason most didn't want to hear it. I always do it myself.
Smart man!!!
Old 09-03-2015, 09:09 PM
timmyZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 262 Likes on 215 Posts

Jeez bud that was a close call!! This is why its a big plus of building a car on your own. A lil change in something and you know it, could save a motor!!! what Seth says about that 4'' intake? Im guessing putting 30% across the board speaks for itself!!
Old 09-03-2015, 10:57 PM
realcanuk
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by timmyZ06
Jeez bud that was a close call!! This is why its a big plus of building a car on your own. A lil change in something and you know it, could save a motor!!! what Seth says about that 4'' intake? Im guessing putting 30% across the board speaks for itself!!
Definitely get to know the car well when doing stuff yourself. I did a little logging and the 30% was almost dead on for idle and near idle, but still needs more after that. I will get to tuning tomorrow or this weekend.
The 30% was just calculated by the volume difference the larger pipe flows, just to get a starting point.

Quick Reply: Got lucky, and thanks to Dave Steck and Brian Tooley.