C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

454 F2 Procharger With Dallas Performance Flip Cog drive Kit. Breaking Belts.

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2015, 07:01 PM
ZEX-Z
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Are you guys breaking belts too?
Old 10-29-2015, 07:45 PM
Arctic Vette
Melting Slicks

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Always! Plz help lol
Old 10-29-2015, 08:12 PM
BLOWNBLUEZ06@RKT Performance
Supporting Vendor

Received 314 Likes on 207 Posts

It took me a while and a significant investment to come up with the recipe. I used a Gates GT3 belt and had a belt on standby that is twice as strong at that GT3. I never ended up needing it. The beauty of the GT3 is that is that it's around 100.00 each, whereas the stronger belt that I had was 275.00 each. The stronger belt is the same material that the top fuel guys are running. It's a carbon/Kevlar Polychain. There are a few different polychains out there and I discovered that strength isn't everything. You have to find one with strength as well as some give. Think aluminum rods in top fuel .

I changed tooth profiles and figured out how to run a 1440 length belt and get the impeller speeds I wanted. I ran a larger balancer pulley which allowed me to run a larger blower pulley. I was worried about losing the sprag pulley, but now believe the shock of starting and stopping actually contributed to belt failures.

Also, even though I had 3 Tial Q's between the blower and the intercooler, I could still hear surge with WOT shifts. I learned that BOV's need a direct path back to the intake instead of using a manifold to distribute vacuum/boost signals to everything. Since that wasn't feasible, I ran a 5/8" line to a manifold with 1/4" lines and this stopped the WOT surge. After all of my changes, on my 6-spd manual car, I beat the living **** out of it, spinning tires, banging the rev limiter and even had a problem with my crank signal that would make the car misfire cylinders at 30psi boost. It was the most violent thing I've ever felt in a car beyond a wreck and the belt never quit. I truly believe I was able to cure all the belt issues in the end. I've since sold the setup due to an opportunity to pursue my dream build. The new owner is very happy with the recipe so far. He's a customer of Vengeance and they reported that they made 1380whp on a "VERY soft tuneup" before they broke the cylinder head, literally!. Once they change to a set of MAST heads, they're planning on turning it down, so I don't think we're going to get to find out how capable it really is, but I'm betting 1500whp was a reasonable possibility.

As for your belt, I've seen a few, is one of these what you're running now?

http://www.hoyertransmissions.com/?i...pid=0140810020

http://products.beltcorp.com/item/ts...-cords/8m50sfx

http://www.optibelt-usa.com/uploads/...rochure_07.pdf

Offering products from A&A Superchargers, East Coast Superchargers, Mechman Alternators, Mantic clutches, RPS clutches, Kooks Headers, Lakewood, LG, Brian Tooley Racing, Comp Cams, FAST, ARP, UPP Turbo systems, Wiseco, Callies, K1, MAST Motorsports, Haltech and many more. PM me for details.

Last edited by BLOWNBLUEZ06@RKT Performance; 10-29-2015 at 08:22 PM.
Old 10-30-2015, 06:12 AM
ZEX-Z
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by BLOWNBLUEZ06@RKTPerformance
It took me a while and a significant investment to come up with the recipe. I used a Gates GT3 belt and had a belt on standby that is twice as strong at that GT3. I never ended up needing it. The beauty of the GT3 is that is that it's around 100.00 each, whereas the stronger belt that I had was 275.00 each. The stronger belt is the same material that the top fuel guys are running. It's a carbon/Kevlar Polychain. There are a few different polychains out there and I discovered that strength isn't everything. You have to find one with strength as well as some give. Think aluminum rods in top fuel .

I changed tooth profiles and figured out how to run a 1440 length belt and get the impeller speeds I wanted. I ran a larger balancer pulley which allowed me to run a larger blower pulley. I was worried about losing the sprag pulley, but now believe the shock of starting and stopping actually contributed to belt failures.

Also, even though I had 3 Tial Q's between the blower and the intercooler, I could still hear surge with WOT shifts. I learned that BOV's need a direct path back to the intake instead of using a manifold to distribute vacuum/boost signals to everything. Since that wasn't feasible, I ran a 5/8" line to a manifold with 1/4" lines and this stopped the WOT surge. After all of my changes, on my 6-spd manual car, I beat the living **** out of it, spinning tires, banging the rev limiter and even had a problem with my crank signal that would make the car misfire cylinders at 30psi boost. It was the most violent thing I've ever felt in a car beyond a wreck and the belt never quit. I truly believe I was able to cure all the belt issues in the end. I've since sold the setup due to an opportunity to pursue my dream build. The new owner is very happy with the recipe so far. He's a customer of Vengeance and they reported that they made 1380whp on a "VERY soft tuneup" before they broke the cylinder head, literally!. Once they change to a set of MAST heads, they're planning on turning it down, so I don't think we're going to get to find out how capable it really is, but I'm betting 1500whp was a reasonable possibility.

As for your belt, I've seen a few, is one of these what you're running now?

http://www.hoyertransmissions.com/?i...pid=0140810020

http://products.beltcorp.com/item/ts...-cords/8m50sfx

http://www.optibelt-usa.com/uploads/...rochure_07.pdf
Those are new sites I have never seen.

Those are the welded steel corded belts. They are not a true 1 piece belt. They are 1 long belt brought together by a weld. The True drive belts are a tue 1 piece belt cast by mold and i was only able to find 1 company that had the mold. 1440 Belts and 1280 belts were no issue finding but that 1360mm with a 28.5psi pulley was a bitch to find but I did. I did not want to have to change pulleys period. That Innovaters west underdrive is exspensive just cause I couldn't find a belt.
I have a few Kevlar belts and Poly Steel Corded on standby and with my 1 True 1 piece hanging in there...hopefully I'll never need them. I honestly am going to run me a few passes in my car and occasionally street race it if someone runs up on me. Now that I have found a way not to break belts I'll definitely be looking into an F3 setup for next year. But the Transmission has to be changed and so will my engine management system.

Further testing is being done to confirm it will hold before I put info out on it but I've been driving it pretty hard.

Last edited by ZEX-Z; 10-30-2015 at 06:24 AM.
Old 10-30-2015, 06:42 AM
Arctic Vette
Melting Slicks

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Pic of belts pls.. Do they make ribbed?
Old 11-01-2015, 12:28 PM
ZEX-Z
Burning Brakes

Seems to me like they made all the belts in true drive.
Kinda makes me wonder why anyone would sell anything less on the F units.
Old 11-01-2015, 12:29 PM
ZEX-Z
Burning Brakes

There is a downfall though....there is a minimum order on the true drive belts of 4.
Old 11-05-2015, 03:03 PM
ZEX-Z
Burning Brakes

Here are the pictures of the Belt. It's made of some different type on material with Metal in it. The fact that is White is crazy. Very strong material....

Looking into an F3 right now for the Vette now that belts are no longer an issue.
Old 11-05-2015, 04:14 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

Received 1,193 Likes on 1,052 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

That's some wild looking material
Old 11-05-2015, 07:40 PM
ZEX-Z
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by schpenxel
That's some wild looking material
Made some really hard pulls.....pulls that normally break my belts and this one is holding up like a champ!!!! I'm very happy!!! Gonna take a while for that white to grow on me.
Old 11-05-2015, 07:48 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '15

It looks like silicone or something
Old 11-05-2015, 09:58 PM
BLOWNBLUEZ06@RKT Performance
Supporting Vendor

Received 314 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by schpenxel
It looks like silicone or something
Or polyurethane.
Old 11-05-2015, 11:16 PM
ZEX-Z
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by BLOWNBLUEZ06@RKTPerformance
Or polyurethane.
Or polycaprolactam lol. I need to ask them more info on the material but it is definitely a poly material. Feels like rubber but looks and feels like a soft plastic.
Old 11-06-2015, 11:12 AM
White_Lightning
Melting Slicks

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

Here is the only question i have.. Most belt breaks i see seem from Too much pressure build up causing the blower to basically try to slow down from not being able to shove air out as quickly as it compresses it. IE on Throttle Lift when you dont have enough BOV .. and that sudden slow down cause the blower to fight against the direction of the belt and snap the belt or Slip..

What happens now if the belt cant slip... wouldnt that cause blower problems?
Old 11-06-2015, 11:39 AM
schpenxel
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '15

Seems like it'd be hard as hell on the blower gears/impeller but I'm no expert
Old 11-06-2015, 11:45 AM
yur2slo
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Maybe adding the sprag pulley on top of the new stronger belt could be a best case all-around scenario.
Old 11-06-2015, 02:28 PM
ZEX-Z
Burning Brakes

I had the sprag Pulley on there since I got the kit...guess we will see.

Get notified of new replies

To 454 F2 Procharger With Dallas Performance Flip Cog drive Kit. Breaking Belts.

Old 11-06-2015, 11:01 PM
ZEX-Z
Burning Brakes

Me and my son on Halloween.....cruising around in the Vette!!!

Old 03-27-2017, 02:12 AM
ZEX-Z
Burning Brakes

Old 03-28-2017, 12:48 PM
bmfvette
Drifting

Received 115 Likes on 74 Posts

Rolling with the F3? Belt still holding up?

Quick Reply: 454 F2 Procharger With Dallas Performance Flip Cog drive Kit. Breaking Belts.