C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Overdrive crank dampers

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2015, 12:30 AM
Streetk14
Melting Slicks

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by CI GS
Yep, you're right Andy. As Rodney always says, "you're always right!"
It appears from ATIs online catalog that fir the LS7 (and dry sumo LS3) the two OD 8-rib dampers they offer only comes in a non- AC version, whilst the OEM diameter does?
See below:
Yep..makes no sense. I don't know who builds or modifies anything with an LS7 and doesn't want the option of running an AC belt. Pretty lame.
Old 12-28-2015, 07:15 AM
CI GS
Le Mans Master

Received 1,110 Likes on 780 Posts

Originally Posted by Streetk14
Yep..makes no sense. I don't know who builds or modifies anything with an LS7 and doesn't want the option of running an AC belt. Pretty lame.
Yeah, with all of the different versions of dampners that ATI builds for the Y body, you would think they would offer that option too?
I guess they assume that if you're overdriving your blower on a LS7, that you're a hard core racer who has no use for A/C??!

So, to sum up, it looks like the only options for overdrive crank dampners (which is what this thread asked about, after all) for the LS7 or LS3 dry-sump (like the OPs car) with A/C are:

- IW 10% overdrive 8-rib;
- IW 10% overdrive 10-rib;
- Powerbond 10% overdrive 8-rib.
The following users liked this post:
JetstreamGS (12-28-2015)
Old 12-28-2015, 08:09 AM
GeneSch
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

What is the quality of the powerbond balancer?
Anyone running this as an 8 rib set up? How is the alignment?

It looks to be a one piece construction and that should eliminate it come ing apart like some of the IW balances have. But does it do a good job removing the harmonics out of the motor?
Old 12-28-2015, 08:53 AM
CI GS
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by GeneSch
What is the quality of the powerbond balancer?
Anyone running this as an 8 rib set up? How is the alignment?

It looks to be a one piece construction and that should eliminate it come ing apart like some of the IW balances have. But does it do a good job removing the harmonics out of the motor?
Actually, it's a two piece with a large cir-clip locking ring to keep it from coming apart if the elastomer ring lets go (see photo below). It's SFI approved too, so that gives me some peace of mind.
It's manufactured in Australia (where they build lots of badass LS motors and parts) and I've read somewhere that Powerbond manufactures dampners for some OEM applications, but I'm not sure.
M M Alexander is running one, so maybe he'll chime and let you know whether he has the whole 8-rib setup.
Attached Images  
GeneSch (12-28-2015)
Old 12-28-2015, 01:19 PM
M M Alexander
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 38 Posts

M M Alexander is running one, so maybe he'll chime and let you know whether he has the whole 8-rib setup.
I've been running it on the new motor for about 9K trouble free miles thus far. It's an 8 rib balancer but I'm still running a 6 rib set-up. I'm seriously considering getting a direct drive from A&A - and running the blower with an 8" belt since all I would need other than the DD is a blower pulley. Not in a big hurry to do it though. Earlier this month it put down 720 on a Mustang Dyno - on a tune pretty much done by me ... PatG tweaked and worked his magic and final numbers were 749/667 thru the A6 - Mustang Dyno

Last edited by M M Alexander; 12-28-2015 at 01:21 PM.
CI GS (12-31-2015)
Old 12-30-2015, 11:09 PM
Streetk14
Melting Slicks

So, to sum up, it looks like the only options for overdrive crank dampners (which is what this thread asked about, after all) for the LS7 or LS3 dry-sump (like the OPs car) with A/C are:

- IW 10% overdrive 8-rib;
- IW 10% overdrive 10-rib;
- Powerbond 10% overdrive 8-rib.
To that we need to add: ATI 8" 10-rib

I'm not sure if ATI lists that in their super confusing chart, but the ATI rep said the dry-sump 10-rib was available with A/C in an 8" diameter. Why they don't offer it in 6 or 8 rib, I don't know, but it's still an option.
CI GS (12-31-2015)
Old 12-31-2015, 01:34 AM
neutron82
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,261 Likes on 1,056 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C5 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

fwiw, if you are interested in a specific company but they don't publicly offer the exact balancer you want you might try contacting them and asking if they can make what you want... it might cost a tad more since it's custom but they may be able to do it... I had my innovators west 10 rib balancer cut for 6 ribs on the ac side and I did the same on my secondary drive that way I can use a zr1 ac compressor and a 6 rib belt if the 4 rib ever gives me any grief... and the ls7 balancer that was mentioned above that had no ac option, I don't see any reason why they couldn't cut the ribs for the ac side as long as the material is there... if they won't do that it wouldn't be very hard for another machinist to do it for you

Last edited by neutron82; 12-31-2015 at 01:36 AM.
CI GS (12-31-2015)
Old 12-31-2015, 08:03 AM
CI GS
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by M M Alexander
I've been running it on the new motor for about 9K trouble free miles thus far. It's an 8 rib balancer but I'm still running a 6 rib set-up. I'm seriously considering getting a direct drive from A&A - and running the blower with an 8" belt since all I would need other than the DD is a blower pulley. Not in a big hurry to do it though. Earlier this month it put down 720 on a Mustang Dyno - on a tune pretty much done by me ... PatG tweaked and worked his magic and final numbers were 749/667 thru the A6 - Mustang Dyno
https://youtu.be/xICN1Yz9Ovg
Thanks for the input on the Powerbond and for providing me with the part #, way back when, in the first place.
Those are some pretty damn impressive numbers, especially on a Mustang and with an A6!
The usual obligatory questions follow:
- What kind of boost are you making?
- Those numbers are with Meth, correct?
- Did you change the cam? If not, then that's even more impressive!
- Is it a stock A6 and did you change/are you changing the converter?

If I were you, I would leave it where it is for now and just enjoy it. That thing must be a beast!
Old 01-03-2016, 03:49 PM
M M Alexander
Racer

Default I concur ...

Thanks for the input on the Powerbond and for providing me with the part #, way back when, in the first place.
Not a problem .. glad I could help. It's (help) what forums "used to" be great at ... Now days, it's just a bunch of arrogance and one uppance.

Those are some pretty damn impressive numbers, especially on a Mustang and with an A6!
The usual obligatory questions follow:
- What kind of boost are you making?
- Those numbers are with Meth, correct?
- Did you change the cam? If not, then that's even more impressive!
- Is it a stock A6 and did you change/are you changing the converter?
Boost is at 13.5 #'s or so -NO restrictor, no DD & just a 6 rib. The crappy alky control kit (fork what anyone on this forum says .. that Kit is over priced HYPE - I'd never buy that set up again)- pump only worked correctly for about 2 months. Since then, it develops full pressure about 5 - 6 times in boost - after that - the light no longer goes green. Pump needs to be rebuilt - you can literally see the AFR change when it's developing full pressure as opposed to when it stops. So, I have the tune set-up to only add 3* when the IATs are below a certain threshold. When I get a new meth kit, I'll tune for it.
The cam is a 222/242 on 6../6.. on a 120 LSA - mild/tame - stock converter friendly - Trans is totoaly stock (outside of tuning by PatG). If/when it blows, I'll replace it with another stock unit.

If I were you, I would leave it where it is for now and just enjoy it. That thing must be a beast!
Yeah, I'm not changing much of anything (I do plan on a radiator and some new tires). Too much labor involved with doing anything on these damn cars.

So I went and purchased me something that I'm highly familiar with, easy as cutting cake to work on and fairly cheap to modify/replace broken parts on

A FOX Bodied Coupe
I've already converted to 5 lug disc all around, Staggered 17x9 17x10.5 tire set-up, Strange shock struts, AJE Tubular K along with a LS3 / 4L80e combo .. to be huffed on by a 76/78 hair dryer

My girl thinks it's the ugliest car on the face of the Earth ... which means it's perfect
I have a complete, in great shape Black interior, going to black out the entire engine bay, and all new weather stripping, window trim, lights ect.. The rest of the exterior I'm not concerned with. I'm thinking a nice grayish/black primer with a clear coat.
CI GS (01-03-2016)
Old 01-03-2016, 09:40 PM
CI GS
Le Mans Master

I'm in for seeing how long that transmission stands up. Im betting it will last with Pat Gs tuning though.
On the new project:
Now THAT is what I call a sleeper, and will no doubt be a good running mustang too!
Those old fox bodies run good, even with ford power, so I can only imagine what that will do with a boosted LS3!
Old 01-03-2016, 10:33 PM
JetstreamGS
Drifting

Received 174 Likes on 148 Posts

Here I am about to order an Alky Control kit. What other alternatives are available?
Old 01-03-2016, 10:38 PM
realcanuk
Le Mans Master

Received 394 Likes on 359 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by JetstreamGS
Here I am about to order an Alky Control kit. What other alternatives are available?
Wouldn't hesitate to use Alky Control. It's a shame that M M Alexander had a bad experience but that seems a rare occurrence. I don't hear of many problems and I'm pretty sure Julio would be there with support if one came up.
My kit has been going for 3 years with no issues at all.
Old 01-03-2016, 11:02 PM
M M Alexander
Racer

Default Devils Own

Originally Posted by JetstreamGS
Devils Own is priced better and the Owner is a good dude. He's out of Oklahoma - real easy to talk to/deal with. Julio is a pain to talk with in my experiences with him (and this goes back to my Mustang days in the early 90s )
Old 01-04-2016, 12:15 AM
Detoxx03
Safety Car

Received 377 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by realcanuk
Wouldn't hesitate to use Alky Control. It's a shame that M M Alexander had a bad experience but that seems a rare occurrence. I don't hear of many problems and I'm pretty sure Julio would be there with support if one came up.
My kit has been going for 3 years with no issues at all.
Ditto. Only kit I would buy.
Old 01-04-2016, 09:50 PM
Streetk14
Melting Slicks

I can only speak for my own experiences, but both of my Alky Control kits have been flawless. First one was on my car for 3 years and still running strong when I sold the car. Second one I've had on my current car for a little over a year. No issues with 100% methanol.

That's not to say there isn't some room for improvement with the kit. The electronics are bulky and aren't very modern, but they work. And after installing two of these myself, I can say that there is plenty of opportunity to have a poorly operating system if you don't really take your time with the wiring. The wiring is a bitch if you're OCD like me.

Short of building my own methanol kit from scratch, I can't think of a better overall C6 kit on the market. Not perfect, but pretty damn good.

Last edited by Streetk14; 01-04-2016 at 09:51 PM.
Old 01-04-2016, 10:06 PM
neutron82
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,261 Likes on 1,056 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C5 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

my alky kit has been great to me, going on close to 2 years with 100% meth at all times... the electronics could be a bit more compact to save space but my only gripe was that the lines did not look very good... I understand there is a reason behind the brass ends but I couldn't stand it... I ended up using nozzles and holders from devils own and I also moved my check valve to the pump end and had them make me a single line from the pump to my "Y" fitting and 2 small lines from there to my nozzles... I am not sure how devils own's electronics stack up but I don't like the plastic lines they use, although they could easily make you stainless lines like they did for me... as stated above, their owner is a cool guy and I had a good experience with him... both good companies in my experience

Last edited by neutron82; 01-04-2016 at 10:06 PM.
Old 01-04-2016, 10:08 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

Received 1,194 Likes on 1,053 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

I do wish their controller were a bit smaller and more advanced.. but it certainly is simple and works. The more stuff that gets added the more chance there is for people to screw up the settings

Get notified of new replies

To Overdrive crank dampers

Old 01-04-2016, 10:09 PM
realcanuk
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '13

Agree that the brass doesn't really go with the rest of the "decor". Made everything black and now happy with the look.
Attached Images  
Old 01-04-2016, 10:11 PM
realcanuk
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by schpenxel
I do wish their controller were a bit smaller and more advanced.. but it certainly is simple and works. The more stuff that gets added the more chance there is for people to screw up the settings
Controller is in the glovebox and the size doesn't bother me at all. I don't keep a lot of gloves in there. Lol
Old 01-04-2016, 10:21 PM
Detoxx03
Safety Car

Received 377 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by realcanuk
Controller is in the glovebox and the size doesn't bother me at all. I don't keep a lot of gloves in there. Lol

Quick Reply: Overdrive crank dampers