C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RecMech LSX427 F1x standing mile build

Old 09-15-2017, 11:06 AM
schpenxel
Race Director

Received 1,193 Likes on 1,052 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

I think that officially goes under #firstworldproblems
Old 09-15-2017, 12:27 PM
gnx7
Burning Brakes

Received 51 Likes on 32 Posts

Love it! I can't believe that your car still pulls in 6th! 31psi..... holy mother of God!

How many passes are you doing on a set of tires? do you change them out after every couple weekends? I know that going that speed creates incredible centrifugal force on the tires.
Old 09-15-2017, 01:03 PM
RecMech
Pro

Received 325 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by gnx7
Love it! I can't believe that your car still pulls in 6th! 31psi..... holy mother of God!

How many passes are you doing on a set of tires? do you change them out after every couple weekends? I know that going that speed creates incredible centrifugal force on the tires.
Thank you! I did short shift that particular pass because I wasnt sure how the belt would hold up, but the pull in 6th was more than I expected.

Right now I am putting 10 passes on a set of tires (buying them heat cycled from Phil's in NY). Works out to about 2 weekends.. After that they become backups, and as I collect more, I will need to find someone that can use them at track days or something. Would love to get about half my money out of them as they still have 99% when I am done
Old 10-26-2017, 05:01 PM
RecMech
Pro

Most of you have probably already seen, but I did do a separate thread with our wind tunnel results.

Not a whole lot more going on.. Parts are in for the manual brake conversion.. Heads will be coming off soon for inspection (was a tad low on compression and leak test). Still putting together a list of changes for next year. Now that the body and chassis are dialed, it time for more power!

Found a nice write up online (was posted on a couple different sites)..

http://www.corvetteonline.com/news/v...early-260-mph/
Old 12-01-2017, 09:36 AM
RecMech
Pro

We had a rendering done by Monaco Auto Design..

The following users liked this post:
schpenxel (12-04-2017)
Old 12-01-2017, 11:24 AM
DOUG @ ECS
Premium Supporting Vendor

Location: Providing the most proven supercharger kits for your C5/6/7 609-752-0321
Received 1,082 Likes on 655 Posts

^^^^^^^ Looks awesome!
Old 02-10-2018, 01:54 PM
vettemayhem
Instructor

Received 88 Likes on 47 Posts

Very Nice! Love the rendering....nice touch with the 258 speed limit sign.
Old 02-10-2018, 03:31 PM
WHITE_SHARK
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by RecMech
What a great pass and great build!
what intercooler you have? the 186f seems good for that 6th pull 30+psi pass!
Old 02-12-2018, 12:51 PM
RecMech
Pro

Originally Posted by WHITE_SHARK
What a great pass and great build!
what intercooler you have? the 186f seems good for that 6th pull 30+psi pass!
Thanks! Intercooler is a Chiseled Performance 2000hp model front mount. I am most likely going to change the water tank out for more capacity this year.. At the end of a full run, the water was getting pretty hot.
Old 02-12-2018, 01:38 PM
RecMech
Pro

Some updates: Cage additions just about done, wiring is completely gutted, most of the components here to rewire (ProEFI, Racepak dash, Smartwire, modules, etc). Factory ECU and BCM deleted. Just about done creating the pinout and wiring diagrams for all systems. Will be all Deutsch Autosport connectors with Tefzel wire. I was able to dis-assemble the window motors and wire them to a simple reverse polarity 2 wire controlled by relays (with the timing and indexing controlled in the Smartwire).

Started mounting the 15lb bottle ( I have ordered 2 mounts, not happy with either so I ordered some materials to modify). ECU mounted for easy access. Will be mounting the additional electronics on the side of the tunnel.

Hopefully I can get all the metal work completed in the next couple weeks so I can re-spray the cage, paint the tunnel and floors, and start wiring.

yur2slo (03-01-2018)
Old 03-01-2018, 03:06 AM
vettemayhem
Instructor

I looked through the thread and could not find if you have added the NOS yet. If not, are you going to do that this year?
Old 03-01-2018, 07:30 PM
douniasg
Pro

Received 60 Likes on 52 Posts

Nice Updates! Did you update your cage from a 10 point? What cert would that be 25.5? I am thinking of doing the same to my c5. I will hate to cut out my 10 point and start from scratch. Thanks for any info.
Old 03-02-2018, 09:25 PM
RecMech
Pro

Originally Posted by vettemayhem
I looked through the thread and could not find if you have added the NOS yet. If not, are you going to do that this year?
This will be the first year. I will be running a Nitrous Outlet 15 lb bottle thru their ProMod Solenoids. I still have to plumb the direct port into the Hi Ram. All will be controlled thru ProEFI and solid state relays.

For now I will bring 3 or 4 bottles per weekend and should get 1 or 2 passes per bottle depending on how long i am in it. Even if I only turn it on in 4th to 6th gear it will burn 8+ lbs with 2 stages at 400hp (or so I have claculated based on online findings). Luckily I know if a pass is going to be good once I click 3rd. Gives me the option to abort and save the bottles.

I was able to get the mount figured out.. It is a Chassis Engineering mount that I modified and replaced all the aluminum tubing with Chrome moly. I may still add some sort of tether to keep it away from me in case of a violent roll over. ( I have since changed the ECU mount as well)

Old 03-02-2018, 09:43 PM
RecMech
Pro

Originally Posted by douniasg
Nice Updates! Did you update your cage from a 10 point? What cert would that be 25.5? I am thinking of doing the same to my c5. I will hate to cut out my 10 point and start from scratch. Thanks for any info.
Yes, I added to the existing 10 point. I hired out the original cage and it was built to land speed specs. It is not SFI, but it is beyond what is required by the rules I have to follow... I did buy the 25.5 book and considered it, but I think i am good with what i have. To do SFI, I would think cutting out and starting from scratch would be easier. I have no expectation to compete at 1/4 mile with this car, although I have considered doing another chassis and going 25.5 or better for the next build.

My biggest concern besides fire, is a violent roll (look up the Honda at ElMirage for a good example!) Adding the funny car setup and tying the containment seat directly to it makes me feel much more comfortable and would hopefully keep me safe if the roof panel were to break off and decide to revisit me in the drivers area.
Old 03-03-2018, 12:54 AM
vettemayhem
Instructor

This will be the first year. I will be running a Nitrous Outlet 15 lb bottle thru their ProMod Solenoids. I still have to plumb the direct port into the Hi Ram. All will be controlled thru ProEFI and solid state relays.

For now I will bring 3 or 4 bottles per weekend and should get 1 or 2 passes per bottle depending on how long i am in it. Even if I only turn it on in 4th to 6th gear it will burn 8+ lbs with 2 stages at 400hp (or so I have claculated based on online findings). Luckily I know if a pass is going to be good once I click 3rd. Gives me the option to abort and save the bottles.

I was able to get the mount figured out.. It is a Chassis Engineering mount that I modified and replaced all the aluminum tubing with Chrome moly. I may still add some sort of tether to keep it away from me in case of a violent roll over. ( I have since changed the ECU mount as well)

Wow, I have been amazed at this build and have learned tons. So thank you so much for this thread! As someone said earlier, "Your fabrication skills and thoroughness is impressive". I need to add NOS to meet my speed goals this year since I will be limited by the YSI with billet impeller. I am just beginning to learn about NOS. Did you gap your rings for NOS?
Old 03-03-2018, 01:14 AM
vettemayhem
Instructor

Yes, I added to the existing 10 point. I hired out the original cage and it was built to land speed specs. It is not SFI, but it is beyond what is required by the rules I have to follow... I did buy the 25.5 book and considered it, but I think i am good with what i have. To do SFI, I would think cutting out and starting from scratch would be easier. I have no expectation to compete at 1/4 mile with this car, although I have considered doing another chassis and going 25.5 or better for the next build.

My biggest concern besides fire, is a violent roll (look up the Honda at ElMirage for a good example!) Adding the funny car setup and tying the containment seat directly to it makes me feel much more comfortable and would hopefully keep me safe if the roof panel were to break off and decide to revisit me in the drivers area.
Just watched that Honda crash....scary stuff. I noticed that you lowered your car and I have not done that yet but will be putting on the ZR1 splitter, hood vents and APR spoiler. I hope not lowering it will be safe at 225 this year.
Old 03-05-2018, 12:15 PM
RecMech
Pro

Wow, I have been amazed at this build and have learned tons. So thank you so much for this thread! As someone said earlier, "Your fabrication skills and thoroughness is impressive". I need to add NOS to meet my speed goals this year since I will be limited by the YSI with billet impeller. I am just beginning to learn about NOS. Did you gap your rings for NOS?
Thank you!

I have not had a bottle since my first gen Lightning, so it will be a learning curve for me as well.

Not sure what I am going to do with ring gap yet.. The short block is one thing I have on the back burner, but really need to make a decision. I want to send to LME to upgrade from 1500 to 2500 hp spec (new crank, solid deck, o-rings, etc. and a refresh), but it is in great shape now and I have to figure out funding. Having the improved bottom end would lead to new forced induction which leads to fuel pump and dual injectors, which lead to new intake, which leads to.. etc, etc.

Motor was originally set up at .025 and .027 ring gaps for boost.
vettemayhem (03-07-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To RecMech LSX427 F1x standing mile build

Old 03-05-2018, 12:25 PM
RecMech
Pro

Just watched that Honda crash....scary stuff. I noticed that you lowered your car and I have not done that yet but will be putting on the ZR1 splitter, hood vents and APR spoiler. I hope not lowering it will be safe at 225 this year.
I never ran over 175 at stock height so I cant say for sure. Nor did we wind tunnel at stock height.

I would definitely put some rake into it.

At 225 you will probably want to look into reinforcing the splitter. I ran aluminum plates back to the radiator support to keep in from folding down. I also left the factory foam in the front to keep the bumper from distorting too far.
vettemayhem (03-07-2018)
Old 03-05-2018, 12:30 PM
RecMech
Pro

Just about ready to repaint the cage. I am also going to try Lizard Skin Ceramic on the floors and tunnel.

Old 03-07-2018, 10:28 PM
vettemayhem
Instructor

Thank you!

I have not had a bottle since my first gen Lightning, so it will be a learning curve for me as well.

Not sure what I am going to do with ring gap yet.. The short block is one thing I have on the back burner, but really need to make a decision. I want to send to LME to upgrade from 1500 to 2500 hp spec (new crank, solid deck, o-rings, etc. and a refresh), but it is in great shape now and I have to figure out funding. Having the improved bottom end would lead to new forced induction which leads to fuel pump and dual injectors, which lead to new intake, which leads to.. etc, etc.

Motor was originally set up at .025 and .027 ring gaps for boost.
I had them spec the ring gap for boost+NOS but I am under utilizing the block. This year is phase 2 of the build and not sure if I am going to phase 3 unless I get a trailer and visit events. We only have three rolling events locally each year....The Pikes Peak Airstrip Attack, Street Car Takover (rolling quarter mile) and The Colorado Mile so to go to phase 3 would mean some travel to justify the expense. When is your first event? And when are you attempting to break the record?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: RecMech LSX427 F1x standing mile build