C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Custom charge pipe advice

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2016, 03:39 PM
NJ_phil
Burning Brakes

Received 50 Likes on 48 Posts

No pulls today in the rain, but it does work. LOL

Old 12-18-2016, 06:06 PM
KM177122
Pro

Received 37 Likes on 37 Posts

Regardless, that setup looks sweet!
Old 12-18-2016, 06:23 PM
realcanuk
Le Mans Master

Received 394 Likes on 359 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by KM177122
Regardless, that setup looks sweet!
Regardless?? I'm all for making things look good but it's more important that they work well.
Old 12-18-2016, 06:47 PM
1MEANGS
Melting Slicks

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by realcanuk
Regardless?? I'm all for making things look good but it's more important that they work well.
+1 function over form... that's like saying he specd his cam out for sound and "cold start" videos instead of power gains or to match his combo... which is what most LS guys do LOL

Last edited by 1MEANGS; 12-18-2016 at 06:48 PM.
Old 12-18-2016, 06:54 PM
realcanuk
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by 1MEANGS
+1 function over form... that's like saying he specd his cam out for sound and "cold start" videos instead of power gains or to match his combo... which is what most LS guys do LOL

Why you selling your engine ??
Old 12-18-2016, 07:02 PM
1MEANGS
Melting Slicks

Why you selling your engine ??
My goals changed with the car... p/m me for details.

Last edited by 1MEANGS; 12-18-2016 at 10:15 PM.
Old 12-18-2016, 09:05 PM
KM177122
Pro

Received 37 Likes on 37 Posts

Just giving him props for coming up with a good looking setup. Didn't mean to come off as ricer.

Last edited by KM177122; 12-18-2016 at 09:09 PM.
Old 12-19-2016, 10:40 AM
NJ_phil
Burning Brakes

Seriously? Getting bashed because it looks good? I believe first in making things work right and it just takes a little more effort to make them look good also. It doesn't take any more money, just more time to get things looking good. This car basically represents a life long dream for me and I enjoy doing the work just as much as the result.

As for functionality....give me a break. It's a ******* pipe. LOL. Much better that the piece of crap I got that was beat in with a hammer to clear the radiator, drilled out with what looks like a square drill bit, and welded by Helen Keller. But wait a minute....it was great because it was functional and that's the pipe that everyone uses.

LOL. My rant for the day. It's all good
Old 12-19-2016, 10:50 AM
realcanuk
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by NJ_phil
Seriously? Getting bashed because it looks good? I believe first in making things work right and it just takes a little more effort to make them look good also. It doesn't take any more money, just more time to get things looking good. This car basically represents a life long dream for me and I enjoy doing the work just as much as the result.

As for functionality....give me a break. It's a ******* pipe. LOL. Much better that the piece of crap I got that was beat in with a hammer to clear the radiator, drilled out with what looks like a square drill bit, and welded by Helen Keller. But wait a minute....it was great because it was functional and that's the pipe that everyone uses.

Nobody bashing... I like things to look good too, and that looks great. Only said I think maf is too close to the bend, but I hope it works great for you.

Be calm......spring is coming.
Old 12-19-2016, 11:26 AM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

Yet that original pipe has made WAY WAY WAY more power than your setup will ever see, so why is a dent in it an issue? Its a complete non-issue, like a lot of stuff that people like to rag on. The stock ECS pipe works great. Only reason I did a new one was because I moved the intercooler, or I would be using the stock pipe still.
Old 12-19-2016, 11:56 AM
1MEANGS
Melting Slicks

NJ Phil seems like your getting your panties in a bunch over some advice... I think what they are trying to say is sometimes function over form is better. It looks great and I hope it works for you buddy. If you get this butt hurt over what unreal has to say (he's harmless) then I would hate to see you on yellowbullet, you wouldn't last very long over there. Anyway I see your local id love to meet up soon and check out the car and do a track day. I'm in the process of building my car if you want to come check out what I'm doing your more than welcome. Enjoy the boost, I can't wait to get mine back on the road! - Eric

Last edited by 1MEANGS; 12-19-2016 at 11:57 AM.
Old 12-19-2016, 12:11 PM
DOUG @ ECS
Premium Supporting Vendor

Location: Providing the most proven supercharger kits for your C5/6/7 609-752-0321
Received 1,085 Likes on 656 Posts

Take two, you sound like you need it.
Old 12-19-2016, 12:26 PM
1MEANGS
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by DOUG @ ECS
Take two, you sound like you need it.
I agree we needa get him some xanax lol
Old 12-19-2016, 01:32 PM
NJ_phil
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 1MEANGS
NJ Phil seems like your getting your panties in a bunch over some advice... I think what they are trying to say is sometimes function over form is better. It looks great and I hope it works for you buddy. If you get this butt hurt over what unreal has to say (he's harmless) then I would hate to see you on yellowbullet, you wouldn't last very long over there. Anyway I see your local id love to meet up soon and check out the car and do a track day. I'm in the process of building my car if you want to come check out what I'm doing your more than welcome. Enjoy the boost, I can't wait to get mine back on the road! - Eric
Unreal just does his hit and run 1 liner posts and never really offers any constructive advice, just "My way or the Highway" criticism which is never backed up by facts. Trolls and fan boys come with the forums I guess. I call it the way I see it, nothing personal at all.

PM me if you're interested in getting together. It would be great to have someone to hit the track with in the spring. Love to come out and check your build out, but obviously I don't know jack **** about building a car.
Old 12-19-2016, 01:45 PM
1MEANGS
Melting Slicks

Unreal just does his hit and run 1 liner posts and never really offers any constructive advice, just "My way or the Highway" criticism which is never backed up by facts. Trolls and fan boys come with the forums I guess. I call it the way I see it, nothing personal at all.

PM me if you're interested in getting together. It would be great to have someone to hit the track with in the spring. Love to come out and check your build out, but obviously I don't know jack **** about building a car.
I would take what people say on the corvette forum with a grain of salt... I used to be the same way until I realized that most on here don't know squat about setting up a car lend alone going fast. I do agree w/ some of your posts when you say people are scared to do things differently then everyone else. Do I think the charge pipe should be over thought? Prolly not but who cares it's your car and you should do as you please. I'm down to go to the track and help you with your car / get a good time out of it. I have got pretty seasoned the last few years with racing and I think I have some experience that might help you. The forum will see when my car is done how you can get a corvette to run killer times @ the track and possibly take some people's money. I think it's a great platform & people who want to race for $ will underrate my build. Hit me up whenever - Eric 732-489-3371

Last edited by 1MEANGS; 12-19-2016 at 01:46 PM.
Old 12-19-2016, 02:30 PM
realcanuk
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '13

This post is not aimed directly at anyone here, just some thoughts in general the come to mind when I see this bickering going on.

I don't think any of the regular contributing member here wish anyone bad. What can be very frustrating (more so lately for some reason) are the reactions to advice.

People either ask questions, or post up build details (and you have to expect comments and advice or why post them), and then get all upset when they don't hear what they want to. They just seem to want comfirmation that what they are doing, or have done, is the best thing ever.
Some of us have done it, been there. I for one do everything on my car my way. Tons of stuff is different from the "norm" of the forums, but there are some things that are done over and over again, and proven to work best. If someone doesn't want to hear them, then they just shouldn't post about their build I guess.
I wont mention names, but a pattern that has appeared lately is guys not listening, trying to completely reinvent the wheel, and then they disappear. The car never works right and is often de modded or put up for sale.

Anyways, good luck on this build, as well as anyone else going for it, and keep making things look good, just keep function in mind. It is really the most important thing in the end.
The following users liked this post:
JKTURBOTA (02-16-2018)
Old 12-19-2016, 02:44 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

Last time I'll post here, but my point was that "piece of crap" pipe is perfectly functional, proven, and works. The dent doesn't cause any issues. Your fine to do whatever you want, but calling ECS parts pieces of crap is not accurate and implies they have some issue that doesn't exist.

Been there, done that. Made more custom pipes in my life than I can recall. I worked at a turbo/fab shop for 6+ years. Been there, done that. Hell you could have used a 3" upper pipe and been fine. Plenty of 1000+hp cars with a 3" pipe into the TB.

Get notified of new replies

To Custom charge pipe advice

Old 12-27-2016, 10:07 AM
NJ_phil
Burning Brakes

Trying to get rid of rough idle and light load stumble with this Hybrid tune. Both pipes have erratic readings at low velocities which I can't seem to tune out. Crazy how MAF readings come into play at low RPM even though it set to stay in SD until 4000 RPM.

Old 12-27-2016, 10:08 AM
schpenxel
Race Director

Received 1,194 Likes on 1,053 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

It's in mixed mode below 4K, not SD only
Old 12-27-2016, 10:54 AM
NJ_phil
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by schpenxel
It's in mixed mode below 4K, not SD only
So how do I get it to ignore the MAF or at least lessen the effects at idle and lower ranges?. MAF is tuned within 2% in MAF only mode and VE map is around 2% in SD only mode. Just can't figure out this low end in mixed mode

Quick Reply: Custom charge pipe advice