C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Custom charge pipe advice

Old 02-14-2018, 12:59 PM
veloz
Drifting

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Default Pipe

OK SO WHAT WAS THE OUTCOME OF THIS pHIL,,,DID YOUR SET UP WORK OUT...

I JUST DECIDED TO ADD METH TO MINE AND FABD A NEW CHARGE PIPE AND WANT TO KNOW YOUR LESSONS LEARNED FROM THE MAF LOCATION..HERE IS MY DESIGN - UN TESTED YET. I HAVE ABOUT 4-5" FROM BEND

Old 02-14-2018, 01:34 PM
NJ_phil
Burning Brakes

Received 50 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by veloz
OK SO WHAT WAS THE OUTCOME OF THIS pHIL,,,DID YOUR SET UP WORK OUT...

I JUST DECIDED TO ADD METH TO MINE AND FABD A NEW CHARGE PIPE AND WANT TO KNOW YOUR LESSONS LEARNED FROM THE MAF LOCATION..HERE IS MY DESIGN - UN TESTED YET. I HAVE ABOUT 4-5" FROM BEND

That looks really nice BTW but either you have super large hands, or that's a 3" OD pipe which I expect to have higher velocities and smoother airflow than the 4" pipe so you might not see any of the usual MAF/SD tuning issues on the low end.

As for my current setup, the maf flap I played around with to force air into the sensor at low velocity and then move out of the way at higher flows worked pretty good but I wound up sliding 65 3/8" bendable plastic tubes down the 45 degree elbow between the IC and MAF sensor...sorta like a super straightner 12" long. There's a #4 stainless mesh screen on top of the IC outlet to keep the tubes from falling down into the IC and another screen to keep them from getting sucked into the motor but they're bent and packed in there tight and not going to move.

Did this 2 months ago and now can run MAF only. Idle and low end seems to be just as good as SD only but haven't taken it into boost yet to see what happens. Going to replace the plastic tubing with 3/8" thin walled stainless next week and hope the stainless works as well.

Last edited by NJ_phil; 02-14-2018 at 01:37 PM.
Old 02-14-2018, 02:18 PM
veloz
Drifting

lol,,its a 3.5" dia pipe ,

,,i was gonna say plastic tubes ? agianst the pressurized heated air..? i agree ssteel tubing would be much better..can you post a pic of what those looked like i mean are they attached to the walls of the charge pipe bend ? or within the tubing..
Old 02-14-2018, 02:58 PM
NJ_phil
Burning Brakes

lol,,its a 3.5" dia pipe ,

,,i was gonna say plastic tubes ? agianst the pressurized heated air..? i agree ssteel tubing would be much better..can you post a pic of what those looked like i mean are they attached to the walls of the charge pipe bend ? or within the tubing..
The tubing is pretty tough, basically recoil air hose tubing rated to 105c. Mainly going to stainless because the wall is thinner @ .020" and they lay straighter when going around the elbow bend.

Here's a pic of my first pass stuffing the elbow but using smaller stainless tubes. The tubes stick out the other end of the elbow equally and I machined the ends flat and got rid of the bell mouth caused by the tubing cutter. This worked great but felt it was too restrictive and moved to 3/8" plastic which was a lot cheaper for testing. Don't post many pics due to trolls and swinging dicks on the forum but will post a final version using the larger stainless tubes in a week or two if you're interested, along with a scan of MAF output frequencies before and after.

Old 02-14-2018, 03:28 PM
veloz
Drifting

ohh wow..nvr envisioned that,,,yeah please keep us updated,,i love home grown project testing.....il be testing mine in about a week and will report back here ..maybe we will exchange notes and come up with a great design..
Old 02-14-2018, 05:03 PM
realcanuk
Le Mans Master

Received 394 Likes on 359 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

This is a 4 inch pipe with MAF, IAT, and meth. The maf frequency is very smooth and everything works perfectly. I had the same setup with 3 1/2 inch and it also worked fine up to a certain power level.

Last edited by realcanuk; 02-14-2018 at 06:39 PM.
Old 02-14-2018, 06:40 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

Interesting thread OP, and props for your fab'ing skills. I've had my share of FI vehicles, but none were LS based. I know these MAF's are touchy to turbulence (own a C6Z)....but the 4" inlet pipe reminded me of LPE's 100 mm MAF sensor. It would be a $300 experiment, but I wonder if there's any merit in testing it? Forgive me if this has been beaten to death in here, but I've rarely come across a mention of this (non-GM) MAF unit...and it was designed primarily for FI applications. How well it functions, I honestly cant say I've seen a review.

I know TSP also has a 100 mm MAF housing (for a GM MAF sensor though), but it comes with a honeycomb insert, which I was reminded of when seeing your straightener. Again, not inexpensive though at $270. I assume that honeycomb material is commercially available in some size of sheet somewhere though, as honeycomb inserts in MAF housings have been around forever...and might be easier that stacking individual thin wall tubes?

Either way...look forward to hearing the outcome.

Last edited by MTPZ06; 02-14-2018 at 06:43 PM.
Old 02-14-2018, 10:01 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

My maf has zero turbulence on my custom upper pipe.
Old 02-14-2018, 10:04 PM
1MEANGS
Melting Slicks

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Old 02-15-2018, 01:42 PM
veloz
Drifting

Default pipe

Originally Posted by Unreal
got a picture?
Old 02-15-2018, 01:48 PM
realcanuk
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by Unreal
Same here
Old 02-21-2018, 10:38 PM
veloz
Drifting

Default Update

So today i installed the charge pipe and im happy to report that the engine is taking it in just fine idleing at 950 rpm and no rough idle or engine light..next week its the dyno tune

Last edited by veloz; 02-22-2018 at 02:11 PM.
Old 02-22-2018, 08:14 AM
NJ_phil
Burning Brakes

Glad it's working for you. I think the MAF turbulence problem is somehow in the ECS "standard" airflow system. No knocking their product, but I haven't heard of anyone using either Procharger's and A&A's IC having any problems. Could be the shape of the IC, inlet vs outlet locations or size differences, BOV locations, etc.. It's easy enough to understand the flow dynamics with the BOV closed and a lot of air moving through the system under pressure but who knows whats happening at low RPM, low flows and static pressure with the SC still providing air but some of it going in the motor, some of it going out the BOV, etc, flow differential across the IC, etc... Add in a healthy cam that varies 50 RPM at idle and the SC impeller varying almost 5 times "faster" and airflow has to be pretty ragged by the time it gets to the sensor. Did the exact $14 honeycomb MAF screen shown above, moved it forward, moved it back, added another one in, results were....meh

Stuffing the post IC elbow with tubing has shown the best results, just not sure if it's because of straightening the air or decreasing the air flow which raised the velocity and I haven't taken to high boost and RPMs yet until I move to 3/8" tubing. I can also smooth out and "filter" the analog input in the MAF before it gets converted to a frequency but that will slow the response tie a bit

Not that I'm obsessed with running MAF, just trying to figure it out during the off season. Keeps me away from looking at the BTR388 and other things I'd like to do to the car.
Old 02-22-2018, 03:53 PM
NJ_phil
Burning Brakes

Version 3.0a

Last edited by NJ_phil; 02-23-2018 at 07:10 AM.
Old 02-26-2018, 03:17 PM
veloz
Drifting

wow that looks serious..like a nuclear apparatus or something...we got to see the results..

Last edited by veloz; 02-26-2018 at 03:17 PM.
Old 03-01-2018, 08:41 PM
veloz
Drifting

Default results

happy to announced that the on-off charge pipe was dyno tested today and performed flawlessly,,no turbulence of any kind, no leaks, no nothing..just worked out perfect..the meth plus a pulley gained us 60 rwhp..lmk if interested on the pipe...thinking about selling them built..
Old 03-01-2018, 09:48 PM
realcanuk
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '13

happy to announced that the on-off charge pipe was dyno tested today and performed flawlessly,,no turbulence of any kind, no leaks, no nothing..just worked out perfect..the meth plus a pulley gained us 60 rwhp..lmk if interested on the pipe...thinking about selling them built..
Old 03-02-2018, 09:52 AM
NJ_phil
Burning Brakes

Nice results. I've had really good results here also and now running in MAF only mode but need to retune transients. Originally was fighting a lean tip in but now have to readjust since it's gone rich at tip in. All points to better response to rapid airflow changes. Frequency has increased 12% because of higher velocity but still shouldn't max it out. No boost yet. Throttle response at the low end is amazing, always felt a little sluggish before.

Last edited by NJ_phil; 03-02-2018 at 09:59 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Custom charge pipe advice