C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A&A Install - Design Proposition

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2016, 02:21 PM
BlindSpot
Le Mans Master

Received 1,367 Likes on 907 Posts
Default A&A Install - Design Proposition

Hey Guys:

I am getting close to the install of my A&A kit on my otherwise stock 09 LS3. I am confident now in my tune, and the mechanical installation is straightforward. As soon as I get through one more Scottsdale Cars Coffee tomorrow, I will start the mechanical install.

I have a small change I want to make in the design of the A&A FI kit and I want to bounce it by any experts who want to add or change my mind, in case I've missed something, but I don't think I have. It is small and only impacts the crankcase vent design.

As I am laying out the build I think A&A has some creative design built into their kit. One design, in particular, I really like, they create a crankcase vent through the Oil fill cap which is the highest location in the crankcase. A&A claims that this replaces a need for a catch can. I hate catch cans. They look ugly and remind me of the mechanical version of adult diapers. So I will use the A&A components and vent via the oil filler cap where it is far less likely that solids will make it that high. This vent travels from the oil fill cap directly to the new air filter located in front of the blower.

Now for the change - In addition to this vent A&A keeps the factory crankcase (PCV) which is nothing more than a simple small U shaped hose connecting a much lower crankcase vent then directly into the intake manifold. A&A supplies a check valve to insert into the factory U shaped vent. I understand the check valve BC under boost, if the manifold is pressurized, then you might end up pressurizing the crankcase (not really, but trying to). So the valve prevents that. However, I don't think I need this vent at all, as long as I have the oil fill cap vent installed.

So, unless I've missed something, instead of installing the check valve, I want to install a dowel pin and completely close off the factory vent, then Install the blocked PCV back in place so all CC venting will travel via the oil cap vent.

Another reason for this change, I am concerned, over time, the check valve will become contaminated with CC solids and it will no longer function, but be held in the open position which will reduce boost in the intake manifold.

So, any FB?

Thanks!
Old 11-04-2016, 03:21 PM
realcanuk
Le Mans Master

Received 394 Likes on 359 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Do some reading on proper crankcase ventilation and pcv systems. You might reconsider.
Old 11-04-2016, 03:51 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

Received 1,194 Likes on 1,053 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

I agree.

You want blowby to get sucked out as soon as possible and intake vacuum does a good job of that.

Last edited by schpenxel; 11-04-2016 at 03:52 PM.
Old 11-04-2016, 04:44 PM
BlindSpot
Le Mans Master

OK thanks - Thought with the very modest boost I was after, that wouldn't be a significant factor. Now I might want to reconsider the catch can as I am concerned as dirty as this port is, the check valve might not last too long.
Old 11-04-2016, 06:15 PM
neverstop
Melting Slicks

Received 108 Likes on 102 Posts

agreed with these guys. also, after personally going through multiple different catch can and pcv systems I have to say just contact mighty mouse and get his vaccum pcv setup and follow the instructions and call it done. it's the best setup by far and I wayyyyy over thought this and wasted time/money as a result.
The following users liked this post:
David@MMS (11-14-2016)
Old 11-04-2016, 06:16 PM
90zcrex
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you were to block the crankcase vent like you propose, you wouldn't have much/any vacuum assisted crankcase ventilation at cruise and part throttle as your only vacuum source would be the intake tube. Like the others said you need to look into a catch can setup if you want to keep everything clean while still maintaining proper crankcase evacuation.
Old 11-04-2016, 06:52 PM
BlindSpot
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 90zcrex
If you were to block the crankcase vent like you propose, you wouldn't have much/any vacuum assisted crankcase ventilation at cruise and part throttle as your only vacuum source would be the intake tube. Like the others said you need to look into a catch can setup if you want to keep everything clean while still maintaining proper crankcase evacuation.
Yeah, I'm pretty convinced I am back to the catch can which I'd rather avoid. What I'd do is mount A&As check valve on the "Clean", return side of the catch can (also the vacuum IM side). That way the check valve should last w/o need or concern.

The only other option - I sourced a similar (maybe identical) check valve as A&A uses. I'd buy half dozen, then I'd get into a regular maintenance routine and just change out the check valve maybe every oil change.

I was hoping that such a modest boost (6/8lbs, no other mods) it wouldn't have much impact. But, the reason I came here, Don't want to create a new, unnecessary issue.

Only one other possible "theory" that maybe BC the A&A design has the additional Oil fill cap vent, that solid vapors tend to be minimized down at the PCV. That might reduce the catch can need.

Last edited by BlindSpot; 11-04-2016 at 06:57 PM.
Old 11-04-2016, 08:06 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

Order a mm can unless you want to replace rear mains on a regular basis. The amount of venting needed on a boosted ls is crazy.
David@MMS (11-14-2016)
Old 11-04-2016, 08:52 PM
GeneSch
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

You will have issues. I blew mine out and then went with the MM. Save yourself the time and trouble. Its cheap for what you get.
David@MMS (11-14-2016)
Old 11-05-2016, 11:32 AM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

If you really don't like the looks of one, mount it in the fender or some place you can't see it.
Old 11-05-2016, 02:03 PM
BlindSpot
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Unreal
If you really don't like the looks of one, mount it in the fender or some place you can't see it.
That's an idea. I'll figure something out. I am back onto a catch can then. Just wrapped up SD Cars Coffee, and actually starting my install today. Will have the install done and there for the next CC.

Last edited by BlindSpot; 11-05-2016 at 02:04 PM.
Old 11-05-2016, 02:15 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '15

Either do it the way A&A says to do it or do a full blown PCV Mighty Mouse catch can IMO. You really do need something sucking blow by out, makes a huge difference on engine life

Last edited by schpenxel; 11-05-2016 at 02:15 PM.
Old 11-05-2016, 02:16 PM
BlindSpot
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by schpenxel
Either do it the way A&A says to do it or do a full blown PCV Mighty Mouse catch can IMO. You really do need something sucking blow by out, makes a huge difference on engine life

Got it...Will do! I am concentrating on the install now, so will start with the AA recommendation, then do the CC a little down the road after I get the tune in and ironed out.

Last edited by BlindSpot; 11-05-2016 at 02:18 PM.
Old 11-05-2016, 02:18 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '15

Sounds like a plan
Old 11-05-2016, 05:02 PM
Mike's LS3
Safety Car

Received 733 Likes on 473 Posts

Originally Posted by schpenxel
A&A design is fine. At WOT, the clean side routing from the oil cap to the air cleaner allows the blower to scavenge out the blow by from the engine. On the dirty side, the one way check valve prevents boost pressures from entering the intake valley.
I had a catch can prior to the S/C install. I asked Andy if I needed a C.C. at the time A&A did the install and Andy said "No". No issues with blow by or oil consumption at 9-10 psi. with an A&A kit.
Old 11-05-2016, 05:51 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '15

A&A setup should work fine for most, that's how mine is setup now too
Old 11-14-2016, 01:01 PM
David@MMS
Supporting Vendor

Received 221 Likes on 153 Posts

thanks for the support guys! I have a few new options as well.

#mmsolutions
Six time NMCA True Street Champions

Home of the first Twin Turbo C7Z 7.81 @ 176
3470# Stock bottom end and heads Corvette Stock Bottom End Record Holder

Get notified of new replies

To A&A Install - Design Proposition

Quick Reply: A&A Install - Design Proposition