C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Blower cam

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2016, 01:58 AM
WESTFREESTYLE
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Blower cam

What's up guys, I have been researching diff blower cams & can't seem to find what I'm looking for. From what I've read my blower / pulley combo will max out blower rpm @ 6,4xx engine rpm. (52k rpm - V3 Si 3.4 M6 GS 7.65 balancer) That pretty much limits me to a stage 1 blower cam from the few I have looked at. Which all seem to have very stockish idle lopes. I really want a choppier idle if possible like some of the NA cams. I want to keep everythings power range matched as best I can if possible. Can I run a bigger cam? Does anyone have any recommendations?? Do I HAVE to run a blower cam to make good pwr/tq - pwr curve etc?? I appreciate any input! Thanks.
Old 12-04-2016, 10:12 AM
ZincGT
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by WESTFREESTYLE
What's up guys, I have been researching diff blower cams & can't seem to find what I'm looking for. From what I've read my blower / pulley combo will max out blower rpm @ 6,4xx engine rpm. (52k rpm - V3 Si 3.4 M6 GS 7.65 balancer) That pretty much limits me to a stage 1 blower cam from the few I have looked at. Which all seem to have very stockish idle lopes. I really want a choppier idle if possible like some of the NA cams. I want to keep everythings power range matched as best I can if possible. Can I run a bigger cam? Does anyone have any recommendations?? Do I HAVE to run a blower cam to make good pwr/tq - pwr curve etc?? I appreciate any input! Thanks.

best vid I have of my old cam. It's a 228/232 relatively small but worked great with two different superchargers. It's from 21st-century muscle cars it's the CMC 400

https://youtu.be/eeoIztc3Us0
The following users liked this post:
WESTFREESTYLE (12-05-2016)
Old 12-04-2016, 11:39 AM
JetstreamGS
Drifting

Received 174 Likes on 148 Posts

I've got a Vengeance spec in mine, chops pretty good.
​​​​​​https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3xTA4T1g3II
Old 12-04-2016, 04:16 PM
Blk 08 C6
Burning Brakes

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

Arun from CCP.stage2 blower cam from him.
Old 12-05-2016, 12:09 AM
WESTFREESTYLE
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by ZincGT
best vid I have of my old cam. It's a 228/232 relatively small but worked great with two different superchargers. It's from 21st-century muscle cars it's the CMC 400

https://youtu.be/eeoIztc3Us0
That sounds like what I'm looking for! Do u remember what the rpm ranges were for by chance? I'm about to look it up but sometimes they don't post it. Thanks man, sounds awesome!
Old 12-05-2016, 12:15 AM
WESTFREESTYLE
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by JetstreamGS
I've got a Vengeance spec in mine, chops pretty good.
​​​​​​https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3xTA4T1g3II
That sounds good! Vengeance Racing is actually in the town I live in. What are the specs & rpm range if u don't mind me asking? Thanks

Last edited by WESTFREESTYLE; 12-05-2016 at 12:20 AM.
Old 12-05-2016, 12:23 AM
WESTFREESTYLE
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Blk 08 C6
Arun from CCP.stage2 blower cam from him.
Everything I've found from CCP is mostly for cathedral head LS1 style. Do u have a link to a sound clip by chance? Specs & rpm range? Thanks.

I was looking at the CCP jam can awhile back for a C5. Sounded nasty
Old 12-05-2016, 02:02 PM
LemansbluebyU
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12, '15

http://www.speedinc.com/shop-by-vehi...m-228-242.html
This cam is awesome! I was at 642 rwhp and went to 740 after the new cam.Gave me almost 100 wheel horsepower improvement along with some minor headwork which was new exhaust valves and new springs. That's on a zo6 with V3si @ 6 psi. I added meth and went down one pulley size and when to 760 rear wheel but it gained 85 ft/lbs of torque. This is a stock bottom end ls7, The car is a monster. Had to put an ls9 clutch in because the stocker wouldn't hold it. Back to the cam, it was the perfect choice for me, has a nice idle, sounds like it has a cam but not obnoxious, super drivable, there are some sound clips in the link.

Last edited by LemansbluebyU; 12-05-2016 at 02:16 PM.
Old 12-05-2016, 06:55 PM
NJ_phil
Burning Brakes

Received 50 Likes on 48 Posts

Cam shown in my sig has a nice chop, although I can tune it to sound stock. You should be able to tune any cam over 220 duration to have nice chop if that's what you want. Don't go with an aggressive NA cam, you'll totally kill the low end when running a centrifugal
Old 12-05-2016, 07:17 PM
WESTFREESTYLE
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by LemansbluebyU
http://www.speedinc.com/shop-by-vehi...m-228-242.html
This cam is awesome! I was at 642 rwhp and went to 740 after the new cam.Gave me almost 100 wheel horsepower improvement along with some minor headwork which was new exhaust valves and new springs. That's on a zo6 with V3si @ 6 psi. I added meth and went down one pulley size and when to 760 rear wheel but it gained 85 ft/lbs of torque. This is a stock bottom end ls7, The car is a monster. Had to put an ls9 clutch in because the stocker wouldn't hold it. Back to the cam, it was the perfect choice for me, has a nice idle, sounds like it has a cam but not obnoxious, super drivable, there are some sound clips in the link.
That's sounds good, do u know by chance what rpm it comes in at? Says it goes past 7k. Thanks
Old 12-05-2016, 07:28 PM
WESTFREESTYLE
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by NJ_phil
Cam shown in my sig has a nice chop, although I can tune it to sound stock. You should be able to tune any cam over 220 duration to have nice chop if that's what you want. Don't go with an aggressive NA cam, you'll totally kill the low end when running a centrifugal
What cam is that?? Specs, rpm range? That is pretty much the idle chop I'm looking for as long as everything else or right. Sounds perfect man, Thamks
Old 12-05-2016, 07:39 PM
NJ_phil
Burning Brakes

It's an ECS Big Blower cam. Looked at their standard blower cam and didn't buy it for the "moderate idle" spec. I have their specs from the box it cam in (custom Comp Cam grind) but don't want to post them since they are pretty secretive about it but basically it's around 230, LSA 115, lift under .580". Pretty easy on parts and easy to tune since it's the same LSA as a stock LS3. I can lug the motor under 2000 RPM and it's still smooth. I have a stock bottom end LS3 and put the cam in with the blower and the car pulls very hard after 3500. Totally smoked the run flats anytime you punch it over 3000
Old 12-05-2016, 08:05 PM
realcanuk
Le Mans Master

Received 394 Likes on 359 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

I really would get a cam spec'd for your combo. Cost is minimal and you will get exactly what you want out of it.
Old 12-05-2016, 08:31 PM
WESTFREESTYLE
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

It's an ECS Big Blower cam. Looked at their standard blower cam and didn't buy it for the "moderate idle" spec. I have their specs from the box it cam in (custom Comp Cam grind) but don't want to post them since they are pretty secretive about it but basically it's around 230, LSA 115, lift under .580". Pretty easy on parts and easy to tune since it's the same LSA as a stock LS3. I can lug the motor under 2000 RPM and it's still smooth. I have a stock bottom end LS3 and put the cam in with the blower and the car pulls very hard after 3500. Totally smoked the run flats anytime you punch it over 3000
I gotcha, sounds like what I want except I'd like it to come in sooner. What I want may not exist ha.
Old 12-05-2016, 08:39 PM
NJ_phil
Burning Brakes

Whatever you do, don't fall into the lift trap. You don't need much lift with a centrifugal unless you do some serious head work, and it's hard on parts. Low LSAs (under 113) are really hard to tune and NA timing will send raw gas out the exhaust port. The car will smell like crap at idle.

I started working with Brian Tooley and then backed off when asked about what specs I need and just went with a proven combo sold by ECS, 1500SL blower and Big Blower cam.

Selecting a cam is is second in controversy only to a fuel system
Old 12-05-2016, 08:41 PM
WESTFREESTYLE
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by realcanuk
I really would get a cam spec'd for your combo. Cost is minimal and you will get exactly what you want out of it.
Not familiar with the term having a cam spec'd to be honest. Is it having a cam custom one off ground for my particular combo? How much extra is it to have one spec'd?
Old 12-05-2016, 08:51 PM
realcanuk
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '13

Not familiar with the term having a cam spec'd to be honest. Is it having a cam custom one off ground for my particular combo? How much extra is it to have one spec'd?
If you have a basic, standard combo... for example a stock car and you throw on headers and an common blower, you can probably pick one out from others experience. Talk to a shop that does them often for advice.

The problem with asking online is two fold. Firstly, many will say there's is amazing, even though it's the only cam they ever had, so they really don't know if it could be better. Secondly, most only speak up when they like something. The guys who put a certain cam and hate it often keep quiet.

Having a cam spec'd means that someone who really knows what he's doing will ask you all the details or your build. Many details and also what you expect. ( lope, no lope, etc, etc). They then custom spec a cam to give you the best performance, keeping in mind what you want out of it.

I use Pat G. I believe he still charges 25.00 for the service. There are others that are good too, that is just who I have experience with.

This is much more important on bigger builds which are usually very different from one another, but personally I would do it for any cam I buy.

Get notified of new replies

To Blower cam

Old 12-05-2016, 08:56 PM
WESTFREESTYLE
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Whatever you do, don't fall into the lift trap. You don't need much lift with a centrifugal unless you do some serious head work, and it's hard on parts. Low LSAs (under 113) are really hard to tune and NA timing will send raw gas out the exhaust port. The car will smell like crap at idle.

I started working with Brian Tooley and then backed off when asked about what specs I need and just went with a proven combo sold by ECS, 1500SL blower and Big Blower cam.

Selecting a cam is is second in controversy only to a fuel system
I have a few buddies who's car stink of fuel at idle, can't stand it. My heads, OEM intake & throttle body are being left alone. Stock bottom end as well. I want the can to come in early as possible, fall off around 6400 where my blower rpm will max out. Have a nice chop idle and drive nice. Whether or not that exists... Car is basically a blower, cam, meth, fuel system, full exhaust.
Old 12-05-2016, 09:03 PM
WESTFREESTYLE
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by realcanuk
If you have a basic, standard combo... for example a stock car and you throw on headers and an common blower, you can probably pick one out from others experience. Talk to a shop that does them often for advice.

The problem with asking online is two fold. Firstly, many will say there's is amazing, even though it's the only cam they ever had, so they really don't know if it could be better. Secondly, most only speak up when they like something. The guys who put a certain cam and hate it often keep quiet.

Having a cam spec'd means that someone who really knows what he's doing will ask you all the details or your build. Many details and also what you expect. ( lope, no lope, etc, etc). They then custom spec a cam to give you the best performance, keeping in mind what you want out of it.

I use Pat G. I believe he still charges 25.00 for the service. There are others that are good too, that is just who I have experience with.

This is much more important on bigger builds which are usually very different from one another, but personally I would do it for any cam I buy.
Thank you, my build isn't anything special. Grand sport ls3 A&A V3 Si blower, long tubes, off road x pipe & aftermarket cat back. Methanol, fuel system, and whichever cam I go with. OEM I take, throttle body, now port work anywhere. Stock bottom end. Just a street car that will go on long trips n needs to last till I can hand it down to my son one day if he's disciplined enough to own/operate such a vehicle.
Old 12-05-2016, 09:03 PM
realcanuk
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '13

I have a few buddies who's car stink of fuel at idle, can't stand it. My heads, OEM intake & throttle body are being left alone. Stock bottom end as well. I want the can to come in early as possible, fall off around 6400 where my blower rpm will max out. Have a nice chop idle and drive nice. Whether or not that exists... Car is basically a blower, cam, meth, fuel system, full exhaust.
You will never know if it exists, unless you speak to an expert.

Quick Reply: Blower cam