C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A&A supercharged Grand Sport build.

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2018, 11:21 PM
WickdGS
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Started test fitting some things and ran into another, albeit minor, issue. It appears the top bolt for the blower bracket that A&A sent is too long and for a Vortech blower, not a Procharger. Nothing a trip to the hardware store cant fix.

Old 06-25-2018, 11:33 PM
WickdGS
Advanced

And lastly a few comparison shots of the A&A intercooler vs the Procharger race intercooler for those that haven't seen many. I went with 3.5" in / 4" out.

Old 07-12-2018, 02:05 PM
WickdGS
Advanced

Started on mounting the intercooler and decided I wasn't happy with how it was laying out. The mounting holes didn't align which I'm sure is contributed to the larger Dewitts radiator. This, compounded with fear of having some cooling issues, especially down here in miserable, hot and humid Louisiana lead me to make some modifications. Like several others, I decided to cut down the bumper support bar and move the intercooler forward. In doing so I also decided to make some plates to direct air into the condenser/radiator based off my previous A&A ones. I'm curious to see how it does.. that is if I finish it before summer is over haha.

How it is intended to bolt in from Procharger before I moved it.

When I box the crash bar back in I'm going to cut and move this radiator support leg back and out of the way of the intercooler.

Last edited by WickdGS; 07-12-2018 at 02:06 PM.
Old 07-12-2018, 07:29 PM
Mrbluedevil88
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

That Procharger race intercooler looks like primo quality. Any reason you did't go with the shortened dewitt's radiator?
Old 07-12-2018, 10:49 PM
WickdGS
Advanced

Originally Posted by Mrbluedevil88
That Procharger race intercooler looks like primo quality. Any reason you did't go with the shortened dewitt's radiator?
It is nice! I already had the full-size one and I don’t want to give up any cooling capacity. I cut and lowered the radiator tabs so the 4” intake fits now.
Old 07-13-2018, 12:45 PM
Tech
Safety Car

Received 248 Likes on 215 Posts

Interesting.. never thought of cerakote for the alternator bracket. After two botched attempts by a local powdercoater, I threw away that alternator bracket and bought a new one. I've rattle can'd it at least 3 times after having to disassemble stuff chasing a power steering leak. I'd definitely prefer something more durable than VHT. Are you happy with the finish? Does it seem to withstand more abuse than spray bomb? I know firearms get cerakote quite often, but you do tend to get wear on them pretty quickly if you use them.
Old 07-13-2018, 02:06 PM
WickdGS
Advanced

It’s not indestructible but it’s stronger than powder coat and way better than the rattle can. Plus it’s thin like anodizing so it won’t mess up clearances. I had issues with all of the above with my last alternator bracket that I had powder coated so I feel this is a much better option and can handle assembly/disassembly many times while showing minimum wear.
Old 07-13-2018, 05:18 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

Received 1,193 Likes on 1,052 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

What issues were you having with the powder coating? I don't really understand. I just took a Dremel tool to the mounting spots on the back of mine and got the coating off and slapped it on, no issues? Maybe I got lucky

Last edited by schpenxel; 07-13-2018 at 05:19 PM.
Old 07-13-2018, 05:32 PM
realcanuk
Le Mans Master

Received 394 Likes on 359 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by schpenxel
What issues were you having with the powder coating? I don't really understand. I just took a Dremel tool to the mounting spots on the back of mine and got the coating off and slapped it on, no issues? Maybe I got lucky
Same here.
Old 07-13-2018, 05:50 PM
WickdGS
Advanced

I guess in all fairness my issues were somewhat self inflicted by not more clearly telling my powder coater what areas needed to be masked off. So like you guys, I had to come behind and sand/file the mounting spots for both my alternator and power steering pump. I have also had the alternator off more times than I'd like the past year for different issues and some of the powder has been chipped there in doing so.

Last edited by WickdGS; 07-13-2018 at 05:52 PM.
Old 07-20-2018, 04:35 PM
Tech
Safety Car

Received 248 Likes on 215 Posts

I gave up with my powder coater. He ruined my alternator bracket. I ended up buying a new one and rattle canning it but I've already had to re-do that after fighting with a leaky power steering fitting several times.
Old 07-31-2018, 08:33 PM
Mrbluedevil88
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Any updates?
Old 07-31-2018, 10:03 PM
WickdGS
Advanced

Originally Posted by Mrbluedevil88
Any updates?
Yeah, I guess there are a few. I got my clutch back from getting upgraded to triple and it’s now in the car. Also my 2” ARH headers showed up and are now in... This week I started mocking up all my intercooler pipes and modifying the cradle. Hopefully I can get everything welded up by this weekend... Getting close!

Wrapped the header near the starter and also put a blanket around the starter so hopefully I won’t have issues. I never did before but I didn’t want to take my chances after going to bigger primaries.

Old 07-31-2018, 10:56 PM
silver408z
Drifting

Received 97 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by Tech
Interesting.. never thought of cerakote for the alternator bracket. After two botched attempts by a local powdercoater, I threw away that alternator bracket and bought a new one. I've rattle can'd it at least 3 times after having to disassemble stuff chasing a power steering leak. I'd definitely prefer something more durable than VHT. Are you happy with the finish? Does it seem to withstand more abuse than spray bomb? I know firearms get cerakote quite often, but you do tend to get wear on them pretty quickly if you use them.
Be careful powder coating, painting or covering alternator parts. A lot of it all is part of the grounding system for it and will burn an alternator up fast. The bracket, chassis of the unit itself and so on. Anodizing will not cause any issues with the grounding.

Last edited by silver408z; 07-31-2018 at 10:57 PM.
Old 08-15-2018, 10:37 AM
WickdGS
Advanced

I've been busy finishing the car up the last few weeks in preparation of my dyno appointment this weekend. I'm about 99% complete. I still have to make a top radiator shroud and get it powdercoated along with my charge pipe, but that will be after the dyno session. I also decided to fit a velocity stack to try when we dyno it. If it picks up power like I hope then I'll use it on track days... It definitely feels good to be driving it again!

Last edited by WickdGS; 08-15-2018 at 10:39 AM.
Old 08-15-2018, 10:35 PM
Detoxx03
Safety Car

Received 377 Likes on 245 Posts

Looking good. What kind and where did the get the velocity stack from?

Quick Reply: A&A supercharged Grand Sport build.