C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First pass with YSI = broke 6l80 case

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2017, 03:40 PM
realcanuk
Le Mans Master

Received 394 Likes on 359 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by DEE_Vette
Dont know what type power you are putting to the wheels.... I don't think its the parts inside them... TUNING, Tuning, tuning... Find somebody that really knows... Tuners and Builders are killing the trans... Even the "Built" ones... Contact Pat G.
Old 02-17-2017, 03:41 PM
realcanuk
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by The_Nigel
Not sure on the blower but made mid 7s on turbo.

I've spent countless hours studying 6l80e tuning and trying stuff on my car. I feel I have a pretty good handle on it. Not saying there isn't room for improvement but I feel confident in my 6l80 tuning skills at this time. I do agree Pat G is great at what he does though.
I'm wondering if the ones that broke this shaft are running with torque management disabled... seen that in so many tunes.
Old 02-17-2017, 04:05 PM
The_Nigel
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Mine is still using torque management to be safe.
Old 02-17-2017, 04:20 PM
M M Alexander
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 38 Posts

Pat G disables it ...
Old 02-17-2017, 05:00 PM
realcanuk
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by M M Alexander
Pat G disables it ...
I would be surprised if he totally disabled it. One thing I dont and wouldn't do.
Old 02-17-2017, 05:01 PM
realcanuk
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '13

Mine is still using torque management to be safe.
I'm with you. I tune my own and leave some in there.
Old 02-18-2017, 08:45 AM
The_Nigel
Instructor

I figure what happened was I flexed the case due to the lack of brace and then it broke the main shaft when the ears snapped.

Century never sent me the email with the information so I'll call them again Monday so I can get the ball rolling. Our winter has been rather soft and seems to almost be over so I wanna get this thing back up so I can drive it and do some local events.
Old 02-18-2017, 10:21 AM
BIGMAC
Drifting

Received 208 Likes on 136 Posts

Called RPM about a 4L60 conversion and I can't ball that hard. Talked to Century and they're gonna send me an email with a list of upgraded parts. That's most likely what will happen. Mike from Century sad he's only seen 3 main shaft failures so they haven't had a reason to develop an upgrade for it.
I assume I am one of the 3 Mike of Century is referring to . See this post:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...e-failure.html

I sure hope lightning does not strike twice in the same place!

BIGMAC
1998 (Pictured)
2012 GS (In shop with trashed A6 and Z06 Diff)
Old 02-18-2017, 10:49 AM
realcanuk
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '13

Going to have to agree it must have something to do with things flexing. I would do a brace and good mounts while it's apart. Could be something to the tuning also. I don't know if they have changed but older tunes I have looked at from century builds have the TM removed completely. Putting some back in will soften the shirt and therefore stress on the trans.
Old 02-18-2017, 08:08 PM
DEE_Vette
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by BIGMAC
I assume I am one of the 3 Mike of Century is referring to . See this post:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...e-failure.html

I sure hope lightning does not strike twice in the same place!

BIGMAC
1998 (Pictured)
2012 GS (In shop with trashed A6 and Z06 Diff)
Im one of the three too... Whos Trans Tune were you using???

Last edited by DEE_Vette; 02-18-2017 at 08:09 PM.
Old 02-18-2017, 09:01 PM
BIGMAC
Drifting

Received 208 Likes on 136 Posts

Im one of the three too... Whos Trans Tune were you using???
When Mike Kurz @ Century fixed the trans broken rear shaft he checked the tune. Mike told me some of his trans module table settings had been changed by the car builder Matt Sorian of the now defunct Florida Speed and Power. Mike did not indicate the changes may have contributed to the shaft failure. He reset the tables to his recommended parameters.

BIGMAC
Old 02-18-2017, 09:48 PM
M M Alexander
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by realcanuk
I would be surprised if he totally disabled it.
Surprised ... I just told you he DOES. I'm not guessing-or going from 2nd hand knowledge, he tunes my own damn car.
Old 02-18-2017, 09:58 PM
realcanuk
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by M M Alexander
Surprised ... I just told you he DOES. I'm not guessing-or going from 2nd hand knowledge, he tunes my own damn car.
Don't get angry... LOL..... I am very surprised. I have spoken with Pat more than once and totally respect his tuning.... but I would disagree that disabling it is the best way to go.

Update.... I would love to see your tune if that was possible. I just went over some emails I have from Pat.....and I wasn't wrong. I am even more surprised now because he told me that he agrees keeping some torque management in it is "very important".

Last edited by realcanuk; 02-18-2017 at 10:03 PM.
Old 02-19-2017, 11:15 AM
CI GS
Le Mans Master

Received 1,110 Likes on 780 Posts

I agree that's this looks like it's a flexing problem that broke ears off the diff and the separation at the top is what exerted a bending force on the output shaft, causing it to break at its weakest point. This isn't the typical twisting or shearing off of the output shaft that you would expect to see from excessive torque. If that's the case, probably any output shaft (or the back end of the trans) would break under those circumstances, no matter what it was made of. Looking at the pics with those little ears torn off is eye-opening to me. I'm thinking that it makes no sense to have a big beefy gearset, if all that's keeping the diff from trying to rotate and separate from the trans are those two ears.
Man, now I want one of those ECS or Subfloor braces even more than ever!
Old 02-19-2017, 03:39 PM
realcanuk
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by CI GS
I agree that's this looks like it's a flexing problem that broke ears off the diff and the separation at the top is what exerted a bending force on the output shaft, causing it to break at its weakest point. This isn't the typical twisting or shearing off of the output shaft that you would expect to see from excessive torque. If that's the case, probably any output shaft (or the back end of the trans) would break under those circumstances, no matter what it was made of. Looking at the pics with those little ears torn off is eye-opening to me. I'm thinking that it makes no sense to have a big beefy gearset, if all that's keeping the diff from trying to rotate and separate from the trans are those two ears.
Man, now I want one of those ECS or Subfloor braces even more than ever!
Doubt you will break unless on a sticky track. I made 50ish runs without a brace and never happened.
Old 02-19-2017, 04:06 PM
DEE_Vette
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Doubt you will break unless on a sticky track. I made 50ish runs without a brace and never happened.
Dozens of passes with 3.42 gears and 6l80 never an issue... Everyone saying they experienced no wheel hop... Hey maybe it was just time to break... BUT Didnt happen until I upgraded Trans and there was issue with the Tuning strategies.. Second pass..!!! Who really knows... Like BigMac said I think everyone trying to keep lightning from striking twice in the same spot...

Last edited by DEE_Vette; 02-19-2017 at 07:50 PM.
Old 02-19-2017, 04:18 PM
realcanuk
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '13

Dozens of pass with 3.42 gears and 6l80 never an issue... Everyone says they experienced no wheel hop... Hey maybe it was just time to break... BUT Didnt happen until I upgraded Trans and there was issue with the Tuning strategies.. Second pass..!!! Who really knows... Like BigMac said I think everyone trying to keep lightning from striking twice in the same spot...
Would love to see the tunes for the cars that are breaking like this if anyone wants to share.

Get notified of new replies

To First pass with YSI = broke 6l80 case

Old 02-20-2017, 10:49 PM
The_Nigel
Instructor

Talked to Mike at Century and looks like I'm going to go ahead and get their available parts so I can beef this spare up.
Old 02-21-2017, 08:44 AM
JMURDOCK20
Instructor

Just bit to far. I have a trans here I don't need and you could use the case. Might be going to SC golfing soon but it's not confirmed. Would have brought it down. Lol.
if you do decide to come down and Nigel wants the trans bring it and i will take it too him. i live in SC and prob a little over an hour from his shop
Old 02-21-2017, 08:47 AM
realcanuk
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by JMURDOCK20
if you do decide to come down and Nigel wants the trans bring it and i will take it too him. i live in SC and prob a little over an hour from his shop
Will let you know.... I was going to build it as a spare, but never did. After this thread I'm thinking maybe I should keep it in case I ever need the casing.....LOL

Quick Reply: First pass with YSI = broke 6l80 case