C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SINISTTERC6 awakening the demon

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2017, 11:05 PM
inspector12
Drifting

Received 82 Likes on 76 Posts

yeah none of the pictures are working for me either???
The following users liked this post:
Pekka_Perkeles (09-13-2017)
Old 09-13-2017, 11:13 AM
stevieturbo
Melting Slicks

Received 140 Likes on 125 Posts

Pics work fine for me.

Who actually makes those straight cut gears ? Are any other ratio sets available ?

Is that part of their standard level 7 package, or a further upgrade ?

Last edited by stevieturbo; 09-13-2017 at 11:13 AM.
Old 09-13-2017, 07:49 PM
SinisterC6
Le Mans Master

Received 375 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
Pics work fine for me.

Who actually makes those straight cut gears ? Are any other ratio sets available ?

Is that part of their standard level 7 package, or a further upgrade ?
Gears come from liberty gear, doesn't matter if you purchase from RPM, G-force or rkt56 that all get internal components from liberty.

The gears were added to the level 7 as I for see my setup getting close to if not surpassing 2000rwhp and the normal Level 7 isn't proven beyond 1500 with longevity
Old 09-18-2017, 10:48 AM
TTBlueZ06
Pro

Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by SinisterC6
Gears come from liberty gear, doesn't matter if you purchase from RPM, G-force or rkt56 that all get internal components from liberty.

The gears were added to the level 7 as I for see my setup getting close to if not surpassing 2000rwhp and the normal Level 7 isn't proven beyond 1500 with longevity

PPG's sequential conversion has proven to hold 2000+, why not go that route? Set up on a air shifter would be bad ***.
Old 09-18-2017, 01:09 PM
SinisterC6
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by TTBlueZ06
PPG's sequential conversion has proven to hold 2000+, why not go that route? Set up on a air shifter would be bad ***.
20k vs 7k mainly But also when I retake my record I wont have people saying "but its not a manual"

I also enjoy shifting and street driving
The following users liked this post:
winters97gt (11-19-2017)
Old 09-18-2017, 03:21 PM
stevieturbo
Melting Slicks

Proven where ?
Old 09-18-2017, 04:39 PM
TTBlueZ06
Pro

Originally Posted by SinisterC6
20k vs 7k mainly But also when I retake my record I wont have people saying "but its not a manual"

I also enjoy shifting and street driving

$20K? I guess if you have to pay someone to install it. If you call PPG you can get all the conversion parts for around $12K. Its not 7.. But its not 20... The manual trans is cool, but the sequential is bad ***. Either way, you have some work to do to catch up to Tooley and his car isn't even making ridiculous power yet. Jared is a mad man behind the wheel. Cant wait to see what that monster you are building can do though....

Proven where ?

Off the top of my head, Calvo Motorsports has been running one in their viper for years.

Last edited by TTBlueZ06; 09-18-2017 at 04:43 PM.
Old 09-18-2017, 04:43 PM
stevieturbo
Melting Slicks

$20K? I guess if you have to pay someone to install it. If you call PPG you can get all the conversion parts for around $12K. Its not 7.. But its not 20... The manual trans is cool, but the sequential is bad ***.

Off the top of my head, Calvo Motorsports has been running one in their viper for years.
Any details of the car ? Although PPG only released the sequential 2 years ago ?

It's a nice product, but by **** it's a hefty price tag. It would need to be bloody well proven at high power levels to even consider one and other than a n/a car at Vengeance, never really see/hear of anyone using them
Old 09-18-2017, 04:50 PM
TTBlueZ06
Pro

Any details of the car ? Although PPG only released the sequential 2 years ago ?

It's a nice product, but by **** it's a hefty price tag. It would need to be bloody well proven at high power levels to even consider one and other than a n/a car at Vengeance, never really see/hear of anyone using them

I remember playing with it at PRI more than two years ago so it has to have been out longer than that.

Just google "calvo motorsports sequential viper" and you will find all sorts of **** dating back to 2015 pretty quick. Car was making between 1400-1800whp back then and is only more powerful now. Some footage on youtube as well. Bottom line is that its proven to hold good power and is a cool setup, the parts are like $12K to do the conversion.
Old 09-18-2017, 05:08 PM
stevieturbo
Melting Slicks

I searched youtube and can see their orange Calvo Viper built last year that clearly uses the box.

Here is PPG's official release of the sequential, dated a month over 2 years ago.

There may have been display versions etc before that though ? Or units for testing with some shops but not yet for sale ?

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/ppg-g...m-david-gammon

Ratios selections arent that great...price tag is high. And wonder how "complete" that price is, as it does just indicate it is a gearset. I wonder are aby case mods needed, or is that an actual built price from them ? They're asking near $15k USD

Would be nice to see if there are other cars using it making big power.
Attached Images  

Last edited by stevieturbo; 09-18-2017 at 05:11 PM.
Old 09-18-2017, 08:17 PM
SinisterC6
Le Mans Master

Exactly I was going to get the unit from Calvo for 20k, they built it and its proven. Which that much money in parts I don't want to chance an inexperienced installer damaging problems.

I also stuck with RPM because they have supported me over the years and in this day an age that's not quite common
Old 09-19-2017, 12:45 AM
neverstop
Melting Slicks

Received 108 Likes on 102 Posts

I think the real 6 speed is bad azz. I'm not sure I personally consider a sequential gearbox to fully be a "manual" transmission.
Old 09-19-2017, 05:34 AM
stevieturbo
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by neverstop
I think the real 6 speed is bad azz. I'm not sure I personally consider a sequential gearbox to fully be a "manual" transmission.
In terms of going fast over distance, where trap speed is the goal and less so ET.

A Sequential will offer good benefits.

Where ratios permit, you have essentially have no down time the entire pass, maybe a proper sub 100ms per entire shift time. ( mechanical shift may take less, but you need lead in/out time too for a smooth shift to not risk hurting the dogs over time )

When you overlay graphs of even a very good manual shift vs that of a sequential, the difference is very clear to see and it could be around 1-2mph per shift difference ( speed dependent of course and how much is lost during any shift when power is removed )

Sequential also removes almost any chance of missing a gear.

Obviously there are some negatives too, for daily use the sequential will not be as nice as a regular H pattern and there's also the cost.

But for attaining speed at the end of the run, other than a DCT setup, a sequential will be faster than any regular H pattern. ( ignoring autos here of course )

Last edited by stevieturbo; 09-19-2017 at 05:35 AM.
Old 09-19-2017, 11:04 AM
neverstop
Melting Slicks

Received 108 Likes on 102 Posts

oh no doubt sequential is better without contest.

I'm just saying if someone is shooting for the "6 speed" world record in a vette I personally don't think I'd consider a sequential setup to fit in that category. just like I don't really consider GTRs to be "6 speeds". half the reason the 6 speed records are so impressive is you have to clutch it, maybe boost drops a little so you have to manage the re engagement, etc.
Old 09-19-2017, 11:40 AM
TTBlueZ06
Pro

I searched youtube and can see their orange Calvo Viper built last year that clearly uses the box.

Here is PPG's official release of the sequential, dated a month over 2 years ago.

There may have been display versions etc before that though ? Or units for testing with some shops but not yet for sale ?

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/ppg-g...m-david-gammon

Ratios selections arent that great...price tag is high. And wonder how "complete" that price is, as it does just indicate it is a gearset. I wonder are aby case mods needed, or is that an actual built price from them ? They're asking near $15k USD

Would be nice to see if there are other cars using it making big power.

PPG also isn't the only name in the game, Holinger makes a great sequential as well and will basically build you anything you want, not just a retrofit kit. They had their sequential set up at PRI last year on a air shifter for people to play with. Was pretty ****....
Old 09-19-2017, 01:54 PM
stevieturbo
Melting Slicks

The Hollinger has been around for a long time, a friend has one on his always garaged, never driven Viper. ( figure that one lol )

They arent rated for 2k though, or anywhere near, but they have been used on stuff making 1k and seem to be fairly reliable. Pretty sure their top gear tends to be quite short though, but they may be able to do custom ratios too.

Emco is another in the US....I enquired with them a few years ago, although TBH it was their response that put me off before even getting into detail about the product.
Their price was on the very high side too but a good range of ratio choices. A bit hit or miss about reliability though when searching, although that was nearly 10 years ago.

Samsonas is what I'll probably end up with, but again, they're only rated to around 1000lbft. So hard to say how definitive that is or whether it has a lot of reserve built in.

But very interesting someone is making stronger gears for the T56, the only others I had found before were G-Force and again they too seemed to be hit or miss when searching.

Although a basic Magnum seems to cover a lot for a low price tag.
Old 09-19-2017, 03:25 PM
SinisterC6
Le Mans Master

But very interesting someone is making stronger gears for the T56, the only others I had found before were G-Force and again they too seemed to be hit or miss when searching.
Gforce, RPM and RKT56 all get their gears from the same source

Get notified of new replies

To SINISTTERC6 awakening the demon

Old 09-19-2017, 03:26 PM
SinisterC6
Le Mans Master

Some in progress pics:

Old 09-19-2017, 04:20 PM
TTBlueZ06
Pro