C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cracked piston :(, deciding on my next step....

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2017, 07:56 PM
jusmillz
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cracked piston :(, deciding on my next step....

My car is a 08a6 ecs blower with headers and alky. I have a cracked piston in cylinder 7. My heart is broken right now . Well I guess I have to pull the motor right? What all must be replaced or upgraded in order to get back rolling safely? I have a budget of around 3500. I've been reading posts and some have just swapped the 1 piston, some have completely forged everything, and some just got forged piston. I know there are no cheap fixes but I won't the most economical and safe did for this. Any ideas or sugesstions ?
Old 03-29-2017, 08:17 PM
Tech
Safety Car

Received 248 Likes on 215 Posts

Depends if the piston damaged the sleeve enough to warrant replacement. The cost to fix it will also depend on how much of the work you do.
Old 03-29-2017, 08:27 PM
jusmillz
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Tech
Depends if the piston damaged the sleeve enough to warrant replacement. The cost to fix it will also depend on how much of the work you do.
walls look clean and undamaged, also no head damage either.
Old 03-30-2017, 03:07 PM
neverstop
Melting Slicks

Received 108 Likes on 102 Posts

if you're on a budget and looking to make 700whp or less I'd just grab a junkyard ls2 or ls3 and swap it for cheap. hard to say how messed up it is without pulling it out and looking at the sleeves. if the sleeves are ok you could probably get some cheap pistons/rods and get it put back together for maybe your budget?

I would certainly not try just putting a new piston in there with the motor in the car. Odds of that working out well imo are about zero.
Old 03-30-2017, 03:54 PM
subfloor@centurytrans
Supporting Vendor

Received 775 Likes on 504 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (track prepared)
C6 of Year Winner (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by neverstop
if you're on a budget and looking to make 700whp or less I'd just grab a junkyard ls2 or ls3 and swap it for cheap. hard to say how messed up it is without pulling it out and looking at the sleeves. if the sleeves are ok you could probably get some cheap pistons/rods and get it put back together for maybe your budget?

I would certainly not try just putting a new piston in there with the motor in the car. Odds of that working out well imo are about zero.
Uh, no....

Last month I ended up having this happen to my #6 piston at the track:

After determining it was a clean break (no damage to the cylinder wall or any of the valves) I swapped in a replacement piston (using new rings and rod bearings) with the motor still in the car. I'll let this video from last week speak for itself as to how the overall operation went:

Old 03-30-2017, 11:13 PM
neverstop
Melting Slicks

Received 108 Likes on 102 Posts

wow, that's nuts. I've never seen a piston break/crack without at least scraping the cylinder wall at least a little but learn something new each day. can't believe it passed a chunk that big out the exhaust valve.

on the various stuff I've blown up over the years, some much less horrible looking than that piston, I've always had cylinder damage but apparently i've just had terrible luck or something

Originally Posted by subfloor@centurytrans
Uh, no....

After determining it was a clean break (no damage to the cylinder wall or any of the valves) I swapped in a replacement piston (using new rings and rod bearings) with the motor still in the car. I'll let this video from last week speak for itself as to how the overall operation went:

Last edited by neverstop; 03-30-2017 at 11:15 PM.
Old 04-01-2017, 05:28 PM
stevieturbo
Melting Slicks

Received 140 Likes on 125 Posts

If 1 is damaged, good chance more of them are too. Replacing only one is usually a fools game and will come back to bite you alter unless you're incredibly lucky.

If you're really on a budget you could just fit some new pistons....but rods are cheap so may as well chuck a set of rods in too.
If the bores dont need any work other than a light hone, you'll get away with good savings.
Old 04-02-2017, 03:44 AM
c5mtl
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
If 1 is damaged, good chance more of them are too. Replacing only one is usually a fools game and will come back to bite you alter unless you're incredibly lucky.

If you're really on a budget you could just fit some new pistons....but rods are cheap so may as well chuck a set of rods in too.
If the bores dont need any work other than a light hone, you'll get away with good savings.
Oh boy!!!! 'May as well" is very dangerous phrase
Old 04-02-2017, 05:30 AM
stevieturbo
Melting Slicks

Received 140 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by c5mtl
Oh boy!!!! 'May as well" is very dangerous phrase
So is "chuck a set in" but I'm sure people would understand not to take it literally.

I hope lol Clearly parts need selected and installed correctly by a competent person.
Old 04-07-2017, 02:27 PM
KSA Aaron
Racer

Received 54 Likes on 47 Posts

I lost #7 on my TT set-up. I put a good number of miles on it after the damaged piston, but it always had the CEL and very low compression in #7. Pulled it apart and found that #7 piston oil control and lower compression rings were damaged as well as the ring land areas, but the cylinder wall was in good shape.

This past Christmas, my son and I tore into the engine and replaced those items that were damaged and buttoned everything back up. All GM parts at a cost of ~$165 all in.

She runs great!
Old 04-07-2017, 02:48 PM
DOUG @ ECS
Premium Supporting Vendor

Location: Providing the most proven supercharger kits for your C5/6/7 609-752-0321
Received 1,085 Likes on 656 Posts

Uh, no....

Nice way to turn lemons into lemonade.

I have swapped pistons several times over the years with a 100% success rate.
Old 04-18-2017, 10:33 AM
NJ_phil
Burning Brakes

Received 50 Likes on 48 Posts

I'll let this video from last week speak for itself as to how the overall operation went
That was anti climactic. I was waiting for the explosion that never came.

Last edited by NJ_phil; 04-18-2017 at 10:33 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Cracked piston :(, deciding on my next step....

Quick Reply: Cracked piston :(, deciding on my next step....