C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Twin Turbo GS Build

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2022, 12:11 PM
Banks53
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 68 Likes on 43 Posts

Default Twin Turbo GS Build

Looking back at my threads. I don't think I have ever really started a "build" thread on here. So heres the run down of what I am up to.

The car was a Stock Bottom End LS3 with a wicked Nitrous Outlets setup on it. In all honesty the car made 585NA on E70 and I never hit the giggle button. Hindsight I wish I had but also glad I didn't. It looked great though!

So Fast forward to now. I sold off all the nitrous bits & I picked up the majority of a older On3 mid mount twin kit! I had my eyes on a Huron Speed C5 kit to mirror @Bluewheelz but I couldn't pass up the deal on the On3. The plan is to modify the waste gate positions as the On3 setup calls for 4 gates which seems insane. Also build my own charge side with dual A2W coolers. Also building my own mid-x-pipe to link to a pair of Akrapovic mufflers I scored. 90% of the big parts are all second hand. I may be addicted to FB marketplace...
  1. Stock Bottom End LS3 w/RCR Dragmaster Cam. (this should be interesting)
  2. LS9 CNC Heads Heavily modified with COMP springs and -.035" cut to raise compression to ~11.5:1 (calculated)
  3. Stock LS3 Intake (I plan to add a rod mod at some point)
  4. Turbos are Basically Garret GT3582R's which could support up to 1000hp. I wont be going that hard at it on the stock rods/pistons and my raised compression.....
  5. Wastegate location mods (I want a recirculation style. N
  6. New BOV's and Wastegates from Turbosmart courtesy of Dedicated Automotive
  7. Turbosmart Eboost 2 I picked up second hand.
  8. 3" universal X-pipe from Khaos Motorsports linked to a Kooks Zo6 rear section. Should make this kit bolt in/out.
  9. 100% custom cold side.
  10. Dual A2W coolers for SiliconeIntakes.com
  11. CX racing heat exchanger -12an lines and a Cordes HX expansion tank.
  12. Custom boost activated secondary fuel system (similar to DSX) should supplement the DW400 in tank pump to run full E85.
  13. Plenty of random goodness I am sure will get done.

Authentic Carbon Tips. *heavy breathing*

Vertical wastegates will get removed. Likely replace the exhaust housing to and do a waste gate pre-turbine as it should be.
Turbos are dual ceramic ball bearing billet wheel turbos. Hoping for good results....

Sadly the previous owner cut these taking them out to swap to a Corsa system... I am going to rebuild them.

Pair of 50mm RacePort BOV's Pair of 45mm HyperGate Wastegates. These should allow to run just a pair vs a set of four. Big thanks to Dedicated Automotive for getting these to me.

More to come! Plan is to have the car running and tuned by summer drive time. Fingers crossed that Winter is wrapping up here in Michigan. So May 1st is the targeted maiden re-voyage.

I have a lot of fab work to get done by then....

Last edited by Banks53; 03-27-2022 at 09:54 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Banks53:
Aardwolf (06-24-2022), C6ZPOPPA (06-08-2022), KnightmareLS1 (05-15-2022)
Old 03-22-2022, 12:23 PM
Banks53
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

EBoost2 should be a solid addition. I might run twin solenoids. I have not decided yet.

Old 03-22-2022, 12:46 PM
VVVROOMTX
Racer

Received 94 Likes on 78 Posts

Man all that spray and never hit the button once! Stronger willed than I would be!
Build should be interesting with the SBE
Old 03-22-2022, 01:27 PM
Banks53
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by VVVROOMTX
Man all that spray and never hit the button once! Stronger willed than I would be!
Build should be interesting with the SBE
Yeah tell me about it. We never saw what it could do sadly. I was easier said than done. When I built the system the shop that was supporting this car was local and they were my N2O fill. Sadly they merged with a larger shop and my hookup ended. The nearest fill was way to far away to mess with and a shop that I had a falling out with when they built me a bad motor that lasted 500 miles...then hosed me on the cost. I've never been back.

This will be better. No bottles to fill. Adjustable boost from 500-1000hp. Perfect for every occasion.
Old 03-22-2022, 01:50 PM
VVVROOMTX
Racer

Originally Posted by Banks53
Yeah tell me about it. We never saw what it could do sadly. I was easier said than done. When I built the system the shop that was supporting this car was local and they were my N2O fill. Sadly they merged with a larger shop and my hookup ended. The nearest fill was way to far away to mess with and a shop that I had a falling out with when they built me a bad motor that lasted 500 miles...then hosed me on the cost. I've never been back.

This will be better. No bottles to fill. Adjustable boost from 500-1000hp. Perfect for every occasion.
Not sure how had you wannt push the bottom end but it may be worth it to put some ARP hardware or just go ahead with a budget rod and piston
The following users liked this post:
Bluewheelz (03-23-2022)
Old 03-22-2022, 02:50 PM
Banks53
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by VVVROOMTX
Not sure how had you wannt push the bottom end but it may be worth it to put some ARP hardware or just go ahead with a budget rod and piston
Should be fine with a good tune on 8-12lbs. rods and pistons are planned for next year.
Old 03-22-2022, 02:57 PM
Detoxx03
Safety Car

Received 377 Likes on 245 Posts

Ahhh yes I love me a good turbo build
Old 03-22-2022, 02:58 PM
Pb82 Ronin
Le Mans Master

Received 942 Likes on 686 Posts

Banks53 (03-23-2022)
Old 03-23-2022, 08:34 PM
Bluewheelz
Racer

Received 193 Likes on 117 Posts

Looks like a fun build! Like VVVROOMTX said above, keep the boost level down and the timing/fuel at a safe level. Subscribed!
Old 03-24-2022, 09:43 PM
slowtealz28
Safety Car

Received 407 Likes on 305 Posts

Looking forward to this one.
Old 03-25-2022, 11:52 AM
skydaman
Drifting

Received 263 Likes on 169 Posts

1. Stock Bottom End LS3 w/RCR Dragmaster Cam. (this should be interesting)
  2. LS9 CNC Heads Heavily modified with COMP springs and -.035" cut to raise compression to ~11.5:1 (calculated)
  3. Turbos are Basically Garret GT3582R's which could support up to 1000hp. I wont be going that hard at it on the stock rods/pistons and my raised compression.....
​​​​​​

An NA cam on a low backpressure turbo setup isnt a bad thing. Your 223/231 111 cam is fairly tame, I ran a 233/248 111 cam with twins before going to ​​​​a 251/259 112 cam that I run with my single and about the same compression.

Since you plan to run E85 it'll respond very well to the compression and be no need to keep the boost down, I ran over 20 PSI on my SBE with smaller chamber heads for years before throwing rods and pistons in it.

The following 3 users liked this post by skydaman:
Banks53 (03-25-2022), Elic (05-18-2022), KnightmareLS1 (05-15-2022)
Old 03-25-2022, 12:25 PM
Banks53
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by skydaman

An NA cam on a low backpressure turbo setup isnt a bad thing. Your 223/231 111 cam is fairly tame, I ran a 233/248 111 cam with twins before going to ​​​​a 251/259 112 cam that I run with my single and about the same compression.

Since you plan to run E85 it'll respond very well to the compression and be no need to keep the boost down, I ran over 20 PSI on my SBE with smaller chamber heads for years before throwing rods and pistons in it.
Yeah I figured it should be ok. I mean grand scheme, yeah, it’s not “optimized”. Should at least fit the bill to get it running/driving and work all the boost kinks out. Turbo builds alway have kinks.

Sigh, much like the downpipes I need to remake as they don’t fit very well… more to come as I start making cuts.
Old 03-28-2022, 02:06 PM
VVVROOMTX
Racer

Should be fine with a good tune on 8-12lbs. rods and pistons are planned for next year.
Yeah should be good, I'm on 13-14psi depending on weather and still SBE.
Old 03-31-2022, 12:06 AM
Banks53
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Made a little progress.
parts are starting to pile up and I need to get moving. Summer is coming!

Back to a stock intake.

New -⅜ Hinson mounts to replace my OE height Hinson mounts. Gives me a bit more space for the Dow pipes.

Had just enough heat DEI shielding tape!

Well. Semi mocked up. Lots to do.

Had to flip the POWERMASTER starter upside down to clear the passenger side turbo. Waste gates are going to be some work but hopefully I can pull this off. Sadly, one of the turbos needs to be rebuilt. Seller of the hot side neglected to mention he blew a ring land and it went through the turbine. 🤬 Debating upgrading to a set of VS racing units already. Not certain yet.

Khaos x-pipe to replace the on3 h-pipe that actually isn’t even an h-pipe… This will get cut and fitted soon. Super nice piece.

Akra and stainless cold side tubing in staging. Sparks should start flying this weekend!

Bluewheelz (04-05-2022), Elic (05-18-2022), FourG63 97GST (03-31-2022)
Old 03-31-2022, 09:42 AM
FourG63 97GST
Melting Slicks

Received 350 Likes on 191 Posts

ohh subbed
Old 04-01-2022, 12:03 AM
Banks53
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Little more.
Opted to ditch the On3 “h-pipe” which odly enough, isn’t even an actual H. It’s just a spacer…

On3 “h-pipe” you can see they didn’t even bother to balance the system by adding holes. Kinda strange.

Khaos Motorsports x-pipe getting some mods to fit a Kooks Z06/ZR1 rear section.

Thing of beauty. V-bands next to connect to the downpipes.

Also, made these slick buggers in 2.5 and 3” to properly backpurge all my stainless welds. This should give fire a flawless weld inside.

Elic (05-18-2022)
Old 04-04-2022, 03:30 PM
Banks53
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Update. Pick heavy. FYI If any of you guys are on Insta. I post updates there more frequently @banksengineering. Give me a follow.

Marketplace special used Tig welder. Home Made 3D printed purge plugs. And a budget Amazon helmet. On a folding Table. In a 2 car tandem condo garage.

Back-purging makes all the difference. Honestly I would never weld stainless without back-urging after my experience here.

Doing some practice tis welds on some scrap.

Testing my fusion skills. Tubing fit must be perfect.

This should make serviceability much better. Ill be able to drop the downpipes without dropping the whole exhaust should something need serviced on the turbos. Some 3d printed fixtures to help line everything up.

SO once I got confident in my practice welds I started cutting. So sweet that this Khaos Motorsports x-pipe is a near perfect fit to a Kooks rear section. This should make fitment much better. I got the downpipes mocked and went from a slip fit to a tacked fit.

First Tack welds going on the x-pipe.

Well, something was moving. No matter what I did. I could not get anything to line back up once I tacked everything together. I was not sure what was moving but I had to start over.

For some reason this On3 Kit did not have any sort of flange on the Downpipes to register them to the turbos. which made repositioning very difficult. Rectified with a couple thin pieces of 3".

Once I added the turbo flanges it was like a puzzle. Got everything even and even added some 3" bellows.

Second mock up went way better. Not bad for quick jacks, jack stands and a couple of blocks of wood.

I love that I was able to get this squared away. The hard part will be the charge pipes. But slowly I'll get there.

So much nicer than the original On3 setup. I may make some fixtures and start selling these using VS Turbos....

SO this is an interesting story. I bought this off a local guy. He swapped, or should I say, had his dealer swap it out for a Corsa Extreme. They unceremoniously hacked it out. SO I got it really cheap and under the assumption it was a stainless setup. After sitting in the box for 6 months i went to start the repairs. Something was off. Well.... Its actually a TI system.

TI Spark Test yielding bright white sparks.

304 Stainless Steel Spark Test yielding orange sparks.

Aardwolf (06-24-2022), C6ZPOPPA (06-08-2022), Elic (05-18-2022)

Get notified of new replies

To Twin Turbo GS Build

Old 04-05-2022, 09:11 AM
helga203
Safety Car

Received 434 Likes on 373 Posts

Update. Pick heavy. FYI If any of you guys are on Insta. I post updates there more frequently @banksengineering. Give me a follow.

Marketplace special used Tig welder. Home Made 3D printed purge plugs. And a budget Amazon helmet. On a folding Table. In a 2 car tandem condo garage.

Back-purging makes all the difference. Honestly I would never weld stainless without back-urging after my experience here.

Doing some practice tis welds on some scrap.

Testing my fusion skills. Tubing fit must be perfect.

This should make serviceability much better. Ill be able to drop the downpipes without dropping the whole exhaust should something need serviced on the turbos. Some 3d printed fixtures to help line everything up.

SO once I got confident in my practice welds I started cutting. So sweet that this Khaos Motorsports x-pipe is a near perfect fit to a Kooks rear section. This should make fitment much better. I got the downpipes mocked and went from a slip fit to a tacked fit.

First Tack welds going on the x-pipe.

Well, something was moving. No matter what I did. I could not get anything to line back up once I tacked everything together. I was not sure what was moving but I had to start over.

For some reason this On3 Kit did not have any sort of flange on the Downpipes to register them to the turbos. which made repositioning very difficult. Rectified with a couple thin pieces of 3".

Once I added the turbo flanges it was like a puzzle. Got everything even and even added some 3" bellows.

Second mock up went way better. Not bad for quick jacks, jack stands and a couple of blocks of wood.

I love that I was able to get this squared away. The hard part will be the charge pipes. But slowly I'll get there.

So much nicer than the original On3 setup. I may make some fixtures and start selling these using VS Turbos....

SO this is an interesting story. I bought this off a local guy. He swapped, or should I say, had his dealer swap it out for a Corsa Extreme. They unceremoniously hacked it out. SO I got it really cheap and under the assumption it was a stainless setup. After sitting in the box for 6 months i went to start the repairs. Something was off. Well.... Its actually a TI system.

TI Spark Test yielding bright white sparks.

304 Stainless Steel Spark Test yielding orange sparks.
Wow great job.
Banks53 (04-05-2022)
Old 04-05-2022, 08:29 PM
Bluewheelz
Racer

Received 193 Likes on 117 Posts

Looks great!
Banks53 (04-06-2022)
Old 04-13-2022, 11:19 PM
Banks53
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Back on the build a bit here.

So rather than just dive right in I opted to spend 50$ on som practice materials.

Also upgraded my tables. No more plastic folding tables!!

Ticon has these sample packs of Titanium for sale for 25$ each. Cheap price for practice.

That’ll do. Onto the main event.

Tacked the over axle back onto the mufflers. Test fit. Went well.

Makes me want to do the whole x-pipe in Titanium…

Not bad. Debated on doing some titanium v-bands but opted to save the 300$ and just lower the cradle to sneak these in.

So much better.

Started on the new waste gate tubes. This will be interesting. Original on3 setup had them either venting out the top, which to me made zero sense. Out of the turbine exhaust housing. Issue is, I opted for Turbosmart hypergate 45’s. They hit in many areas due to their size. I also planned on upgrading to stainless exhaust housings, or a VSRacing turbo so I didn’t want to rely on the housing mounted waste.

Like a puzzle accept there’s no wrong way to do it. Goal is to package it similar to the Huron Speed c5tt kit.

Last edited by Banks53; 04-27-2022 at 09:02 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Banks53:
Elic (05-18-2022), skydaman (04-15-2022)

Quick Reply: Twin Turbo GS Build