C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ugh.. @#$@ me.. my clutch dilemmas never end

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2017, 04:46 PM
Tech
Safety Car

Received 248 Likes on 215 Posts

Default Ugh.. @#$@ me.. my clutch dilemmas never end

I had a high RPM 1-2 shift issue and chattering on my RXT after 5k miles. I pulled the driveline to install an RPM trans, new slave and HOPED I could find something wrong with my RXT but alas.. everything checks out on it. Installed height is perfect. Slave checks out 0.170".

I want to put the thing back together this weekend, but I'm unsure what to do about the clutch. I hate that it chatters.. but so do all other clutches that hold 800+ HP. Both of my RPS organic clutches chattered, a good friends RST chattered and my RXT chatters. I'm convinced they all chatter. Different manufacturers. Different installers. Different clutch materials. All chatter. If yours doesn't, you may have learned to drive around it. Drive your car in stop and go traffic without launching at 2500 RPMs. It'll shudder.

I have already replaced the master with the latest OEM design. As I mentioned, I'm going to replace the slave and trans.. so the only two relevant parts are the pilot bearing and clutch. Should I shove this RXT back in and live with the chatter, because they all do, or put a Mantic in it? Monster can't get me a clutch by Friday.
Old 04-18-2017, 05:37 PM
silvrhand
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

I have the same issue with the Centerforce DYAD - dual disc setup.. stock clutch feel but the chatter is there.

The other thing that drives me crazy is the engagement point for my clutch moved way up and the clutch is not adjustable... ugh..
Old 04-18-2017, 06:13 PM
inspector12
Drifting

Received 82 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by silvrhand
I have the same issue with the Centerforce DYAD - dual disc setup.. stock clutch feel but the chatter is there.

The other thing that drives me crazy is the engagement point for my clutch moved way up and the clutch is not adjustable... ugh..
That's weird about your DYAD, I'm guessing cause they changed the disc design that it chatters. Mine is perfect, but I've installed two others and one of the chatters like your describing. I have two friends with RXT's and there's didn't chatter. Not sure if its luck or there is some manufacturing thing that causes the inconsistency with these two clutches.

Last edited by inspector12; 04-18-2017 at 06:14 PM.
Old 04-18-2017, 07:30 PM
neverstop
Melting Slicks

Received 108 Likes on 102 Posts

my mantic has zero chatter and is way smoother than my RXT ever was. RXT would not hold even one dyno pull at 870whp either on my setup. replaced with mantic and has been holding 907/860 at the tires for a few thousand miles and three 1/2 mile events with zero issues. i have the triple but Unreal on here had the twin disc and i believe it held >1k whp for a long time. My guess is the RXT just has tons of inconsistencies when manufactured and so they work fine on some guys cars and work horrible on others.

i drive mine in traffic all the time and slipping at 2500 rpm or lower and perfectly smooth. they aren't cheap but given how hard it is to pull the driveline i think it's worth it to spend more and get it right.

Last edited by neverstop; 04-18-2017 at 07:30 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by neverstop:
Dealripper (04-24-2017), HC Mechanic (06-07-2017)
Old 04-18-2017, 07:50 PM
Tech
Safety Car

Originally Posted by neverstop
my mantic has zero chatter and is way smoother than my RXT ever was. RXT would not hold even one dyno pull at 870whp either on my setup. replaced with mantic and has been holding 907/860 at the tires for a few thousand miles and three 1/2 mile events with zero issues. i have the triple but Unreal on here had the twin disc and i believe it held >1k whp for a long time. My guess is the RXT just has tons of inconsistencies when manufactured and so they work fine on some guys cars and work horrible on others.

i drive mine in traffic all the time and slipping at 2500 rpm or lower and perfectly smooth. they aren't cheap but given how hard it is to pull the driveline i think it's worth it to spend more and get it right.
*Some* Mantics chatter too, I'm afraid. FWIW, Mantic isn't cheaper than Mcleod when you add the bleeder and slave. It was never about the cost of the clutch.

Last edited by Tech; 04-18-2017 at 07:57 PM.
Old 04-18-2017, 08:12 PM
chpmnsws6
Drifting

Received 60 Likes on 56 Posts

I'll vouch for Tech on this. Both local performance shops throw tons of rst/rxt clutches in every LS based car they have.
Old 04-19-2017, 11:49 AM
0SNL/MonsterClutchCo
Former Vendor

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Tech
I had a high RPM 1-2 shift issue and chattering on my RXT after 5k miles. I pulled the driveline to install an RPM trans, new slave and HOPED I could find something wrong with my RXT but alas.. everything checks out on it. Installed height is perfect. Slave checks out 0.170".

I want to put the thing back together this weekend, but I'm unsure what to do about the clutch. I hate that it chatters.. but so do all other clutches that hold 800+ HP. Both of my RPS organic clutches chattered, a good friends RST chattered and my RXT chatters. I'm convinced they all chatter. Different manufacturers. Different installers. Different clutch materials. All chatter. If yours doesn't, you may have learned to drive around it. Drive your car in stop and go traffic without launching at 2500 RPMs. It'll shudder.

I have already replaced the master with the latest OEM design. As I mentioned, I'm going to replace the slave and trans.. so the only two relevant parts are the pilot bearing and clutch. Should I shove this RXT back in and live with the chatter, because they all do, or put a Mantic in it? Monster can't get me a clutch by Friday.
Our Monster LT1-S triple doesn't chatter, but our units are built to order. However if you need one by this weekend, I may be able to get one out ASAP, if you want to overnight it to have it in time.

If so give us a shout and ask for Jacob, he will take care of you.
817-750-2000.
Old 04-20-2017, 05:52 PM
Tech
Safety Car

Bought a Monster LT1-S triple. Thanks for getting it out quickly @SNL/MonsterClutchCo
Old 04-21-2017, 06:31 PM
helga203
Safety Car

Received 434 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by SNL/MonsterClutchCo
Our Monster LT1-S triple doesn't chatter, but our units are built to order. However if you need one by this weekend, I may be able to get one out ASAP, if you want to overnight it to have it in time.

817-750-2000.
How's the pedal feel?? Much stiffer than stock??
Old 04-21-2017, 10:55 PM
Tech
Safety Car

Originally Posted by helga203
How's the pedal feel?? Much stiffer than stock??
I'll be able to tell ya in a few days depending on weather.
The following users liked this post:
helga203 (04-22-2017)
Old 04-24-2017, 07:01 AM
timvan
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by SNL/MonsterClutchCo

817-750-2000.
Completely Happy with my Monster and the customer service from Steve is the best in the business, hands down!
The following users liked this post:
HC Mechanic (06-07-2017)
Old 04-30-2017, 09:00 PM
Pitufina
Drifting

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

I installed an LT1-S triple in mine. Still trying to break it in since my work comute is only 11 mostly highway miles miles each way. Drives like stock and the pedal is lighter IMO. If you release it a little too fast you know it means business.
I had a Mcleod RXT prior to that didnt last me but 1 season with less than 25 passes at the track. So the judge is still out there for the Monster once fully broken in.
Old 04-30-2017, 11:13 PM
Tech
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Pitufina
I installed an LT1-S triple in mine. Still trying to break it in since my work comute is only 11 mostly highway miles miles each way. Drives like stock and the pedal is lighter IMO. If you release it a little too fast you know it means business.
I had a Mcleod RXT prior to that didnt last me but 1 season with less than 25 passes at the track. So the judge is still out there for the Monster once fully broken in.
Mine is in and the car is together but I couldn't drive it with all of the rain. I've read elsewhere that the LT1 clutches dont need a normal break in, but I've meant to ask Steve about it.
Old 05-01-2017, 03:46 PM
Turbo-Geist
Melting Slicks

Received 176 Likes on 138 Posts
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C5 of Year Finalist

Sorry to hear about your issues, but it sounds like you've turned the page and are moving forward. I had a similar issue with my RXT 1200. I don't remember much chatter, but had issues with the 1-2 shift and then after the last pass at the track, it wouldn't go into any gear. Upon a tear down inspection, I found the clearance between the disks wasn't within spec and the distance from the face of the crank to the clutch fingers was also not correct. The clutch is on its way back to McLeod for a factory inspection.
Old 05-01-2017, 08:19 PM
Pitufina
Drifting

Mine is in and the car is together but I couldn't drive it with all of the rain. I've read elsewhere that the LT1 clutches dont need a normal break in, but I've meant to ask Steve about it.
Steve suggested a break in period. Maybe because I have a small vibration that could be the dics not fully coupling? Anyways still driving around but barely any stop and go. So I'll wait until is over 500 miles and if the vibration doesnt get better I will be beyond pissed. The reason I got the triple was mostly for longevity and not having to get back into the clutch change PITA that it is
Old 05-01-2017, 08:25 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

Are you sure it is the clutch? DS, couplers, etc etc etc can all cause vibration.
Old 05-01-2017, 08:26 PM
Pitufina
Drifting

Originally Posted by Turbo-Geist
Sorry to hear about your issues, but it sounds like you've turned the page and are moving forward. I had a similar issue with my RXT 1200. I don't remember much chatter, but had issues with the 1-2 shift and then after the last pass at the track, it wouldn't go into any gear. Upon a tear down inspection, I found the clearance between the disks wasn't within spec and the distance from the face of the crank to the clutch fingers was also not correct. The clutch is on its way back to McLeod for a factory inspection.
I remember the stack height on mine was on the high end but worked great for the relatively short period. The disks looked fairly good, but but
had lot of hot spots on the flywheel and the face of the pressure plate. I have a feeling the pressure plate lost its clamping force maybe due to the stack getting out of spec and why it started to slip.

Get notified of new replies

To Ugh.. @#$@ me.. my clutch dilemmas never end

Old 05-01-2017, 08:28 PM
Pitufina
Drifting

Originally Posted by Unreal
Are you sure it is the clutch? DS, couplers, etc etc etc can all cause vibration.
It didnt vibrate before I pulled apart. My car has 40k miles. That doesnt mean a lot when it comes to failing parts but it was silky smooth with the rxt.
Old 05-01-2017, 11:22 PM
Tech
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Pitufina
Steve suggested a break in period. Maybe because I have a small vibration that could be the dics not fully coupling? Anyways still driving around but barely any stop and go. So I'll wait until is over 500 miles and if the vibration doesnt get better I will be beyond pissed. The reason I got the triple was mostly for longevity and not having to get back into the clutch change PITA that it is
When do you notice the vibration? Haven't road tested the car yet but I have let it idle and I've pulled it in/out of a garage. Car comes home tomorrow.
Old 05-02-2017, 01:25 PM
Pitufina
Drifting

When do you notice the vibration? Haven't road tested the car yet but I have let it idle and I've pulled it in/out of a garage. Car comes home tomorrow.
Mostly on the shifter. It seems to be between 900 to 2,000 rpms with around 2k being the worst. It's not an insane vibration that will rattle your brain or the whole car for that matter but it's there.
I have thought that it could be the engine since I can hear and feel a slight intermittent stumble on idle or while cruising. I visually checked the spark plugs and wires with an ohm meter and they seem fine. I have some spark plugs on order just in case. Also checked for codes and scanned it with hpt. I found a couple of exhaust leaks which I took care of yesterday. I'm going to continue monitoring the vibration to see if I can isolate it.

Quick Reply: Ugh.. @#$@ me.. my clutch dilemmas never end