C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Deburring and Polishing Engine Parts

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2017, 12:05 AM
Petraszewsky
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Got the pistons and wrist pins coated with microslick after sanding/deburring sharp edges, polishing, etching. I still have to coat the tops with the thermal coating. I meant to build a crankshaft polishing stand today but ran out of time. I will be polishing it to have a isotropic/non-directional finish vs the unidirectional one it currently has. Also tested coating a extra set of rod bearings with the mircoslick. They turned out really nice. Oh and I also put a very light chamfer in the small end oil holes of the rod.

Name:  IMG_7349_zpsdjzdmpfl.jpg
Views: 1464
Size:  228.7 KB
Old 06-26-2017, 01:48 PM
Petraszewsky
Racer

Just thought the wrist pins looked cool after burnishing them. Kinda like a black chrome

Name:  IMG_7355_zpsrgwhztr2.jpg
Views: 1391
Size:  128.0 KB
Old 07-08-2017, 08:49 PM
Petraszewsky
Racer

Thanks photobucket for screwing everyone's build, how to, and question threads

See if this works

Dual Walbro 450 pumps in Rick's Tanks sending unit

Name:  mlelfXr.jpg
Views: 138
Size:  127.5 KB
Old 07-08-2017, 08:52 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

Received 1,194 Likes on 1,053 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Yeah like every forum I'm on lately has photo bucket pictures that don't work. I guess I need to look at mine now..
Old 07-08-2017, 08:59 PM
sevinn
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 189 Likes on 175 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14, '16

Originally Posted by schpenxel
Yeah like every forum I'm on lately has photo bucket pictures that don't work. I guess I need to look at mine now..
Hopefully they will realize soon that people aren't going to pay for image hosting like this. They were outdated years ago. It's sad because there are tons and tons of extremely useful threads that are rendered almost useless without pics now.

Op can we get some more info on that fuel hat? It looks like it could be pretty nice.

Last edited by sevinn; 07-08-2017 at 09:01 PM.
Old 07-08-2017, 09:03 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '15

Yeah this is flat out random IMO. I can understand limiting people that don't pay anything or even adding a bandwidth limit to people on lower plans, I've had a paid subscription for at least 5 years now, but this is just ridiculous. They want $399 a year to enable third party hosting. That's about what I pay for f'ing internet service.

I've got so many pictures posted on this forum and a BMW forum that there's no way I'll ever be able to go back and move the pictures and fix the links. They should be embarrassed.

Come to think to think of it, there's no reason for me to keep paying them if they aren't going to allow 3rd party hosting.. I hope this blows up in their face.

Last edited by schpenxel; 07-08-2017 at 09:04 PM.
Old 07-08-2017, 09:47 PM
Petraszewsky
Racer

Originally Posted by sevinn
Hopefully they will realize soon that people aren't going to pay for image hosting like this. They were outdated years ago. It's sad because there are tons and tons of extremely useful threads that are rendered almost useless without pics now.

Op can we get some more info on that fuel hat? It looks like it could be pretty nice.
Yeah they totally screwed tons of useful threads up...

The sending unit is basically "pumps on a stick" as in it doesn't actively use a Venturi system to fill the bucket. A return style system would keep the bucket full though. However I'm using a PWM returnless setup like OEM. (Vaporworx) I'm using a CTS-V sending unit for primary cruising/non boost and the Rick dual Walbro 450s will kick in under boost. Way way more than enough pump(s) for my power level on E85. (Maybe 1100hp flywheel on E85)

Last edited by Petraszewsky; 07-08-2017 at 09:48 PM.
Old 07-08-2017, 10:37 PM
sevinn
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '14, '16

Originally Posted by schpenxel
Yeah this is flat out random IMO. I can understand limiting people that don't pay anything or even adding a bandwidth limit to people on lower plans, I've had a paid subscription for at least 5 years now, but this is just ridiculous. They want $399 a year to enable third party hosting. That's about what I pay for f'ing internet service.

I've got so many pictures posted on this forum and a BMW forum that there's no way I'll ever be able to go back and move the pictures and fix the links. They should be embarrassed.

Come to think to think of it, there's no reason for me to keep paying them if they aren't going to allow 3rd party hosting.. I hope this blows up in their face.
Woah that's alot more than I expecting. Ridiculous.

Originally Posted by Petraszewsky
Yeah they totally screwed tons of useful threads up...

The sending unit is basically "pumps on a stick" as in it doesn't actively use a Venturi system to fill the bucket. A return style system would keep the bucket full though. However I'm using a PWM returnless setup like OEM. (Vaporworx) I'm using a CTS-V sending unit for primary cruising/non boost and the Rick dual Walbro 450s will kick in under boost. Way way more than enough pump(s) for my power level on E85. (Maybe 1100hp flywheel on E85)
Thanks for the details sounds like you'll have plenty of fuel!
Old 07-09-2017, 04:53 PM
Petraszewsky
Racer

Tungsten Disulfide .6 micron and Molybdenum disulfide 1.5 micron powders for the piston rings and other things.

Name:  53nORgE.jpg
Size:  1.92 MB
Old 07-09-2017, 07:50 PM
Petraszewsky
Racer

Piston ring on the right has been coated with Tungsten Disulfide and ring on the left has nothing on it. The tungsten will reduce friction and retain more oil for a better seal and less wear.

Name:  rPXfKBm.jpg
Views: 145
Size:  1.65 MB

These roller lifter bodies have been coated with Diamond Like Carbon (DLC) coating. It's great for wear but the coefficient of friction isn't as low as tungsten or moly coatings. I coated over the DLC with the Tungsten Disulfide. Notice how the one on the right has a slightly grey/metallic sheen to it now.

Name:  XxEoGP3.jpg
Views: 140
Size:  1.33 MB

Roller chains have issues with squeezing the oil film out of the roller/bushing and between the roller/gear teeth. I coated the chain inside and out (even between the rollers/bushings) with moly/Tungsten to provide a solid film lubricant so it will always be lubricated.

Name:  iu2UAGm.jpg
Size:  1.49 MB
Old 07-10-2017, 12:42 PM
Petraszewsky
Racer

Did some testing on my spare crank again...

Name:  3zawTGc.jpg
Views: 139
Size:  536.0 KB
Old 07-10-2017, 07:23 PM
Petraszewsky
Racer

I can get about a 20second spin time on the wrist pin in the piston without lube. (Obviously with sticky assembly grease it won't free spin) But the coefficient of friction actually decreases as load/pressures increase with the coatings. Hopefully I will be finishing up the crank/block mods this weekend. Then it's painting the block and assembly time!
Old 07-11-2017, 04:06 PM
Petraszewsky
Racer

Bearing and valve coated with mircoslick and tungsten left .....uncoated valve and microslick coated bearing right

Name:  KQVSPQV.jpg
Views: 142
Size:  638.3 KB
Old 07-11-2017, 09:13 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '15

Not a lot of replies but I'm still reading... pretty interesting stuff, what's your overall goal with this? Durability or more power or just seeing if it works?
Old 07-11-2017, 10:19 PM
Petraszewsky
Racer

I figured people were just brushing it off as nonsense or snake oil and just being nice nice by not replying with hateful comments haha.....I'm looking for a few more ponies with it doing all of the coating. A lot has do with durability as well. I'm guessing I might see a increase of around 10hp/tq across the entire curve with all of it. I know what the setup should make based on tons of other similar builds so if I'm above or at those with my relatively small 235/242 cam (427cid) then I'll be happy. I know the coatings work as many others have used them with success. As I mentioned earlier I can literally spin the wrist pin for 20seconds on one flick. They have the same clearance as before when they were difficult to remove/install.
Old 07-11-2017, 11:31 PM
sevinn
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '14, '16

I figured people were just brushing it off as nonsense or snake oil and just being nice nice by not replying with hateful comments haha.....I'm looking for a few more ponies with it doing all of the coating. A lot has do with durability as well. I'm guessing I might see a increase of around 10hp/tq across the entire curve with all of it. I know what the setup should make based on tons of other similar builds so if I'm above or at those with my relatively small 235/242 cam (427cid) then I'll be happy. I know the coatings work as many others have used them with success. As I mentioned earlier I can literally spin the wrist pin for 20seconds on one flick. They have the same clearance as before when they were difficult to remove/install.
I find it extremely interesting personally just don't know what to say other than keep it up
Old 07-12-2017, 08:57 AM
schpenxel
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '15

Yeah, I think it's interesting too.. just don't really know much about it so I'm just reading

Get notified of new replies

To Deburring and Polishing Engine Parts

Old 07-12-2017, 05:02 PM
playtoy
Burning Brakes

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

I'm in for the results. I would think that all of the work you have put in will yield some results. Might not see it on the dyno but I would think that you should see cooler oil temps from the reduction in friction at least.
Old 07-12-2017, 05:47 PM
Petraszewsky
Racer

Cooler bearings would be nice. Typicallubif your oil is 220* the bearings and other moving parts can be as high as 350-400*.

Just some info that I've gathered while preparing and deciding to do the coatings. The nice thing about the coatings is that they'll provide lubrication during startups along with lowering the fluid friction between the bearings/journals, lifter rollers/cam lobes, lifter bodies/bores, rocker bearings/shafts, rocker roller tips/valve tips, valve stems/valve guides etc etc. Cam lobes and rollers wear into each other because of the massive amount of pressures they see without pressure fed oil. The splash oiling provides for elastohydrodynamic and boundary lubrication which is why used cam lobes have a polished look to them. The coating should eliminate that. I've mentioned how roller chains and gears "push" the oil film out between them which is where the coatings will really shine.
Old 07-17-2017, 02:42 PM
Petraszewsky
Racer

Filed a groove to pressure feed the rear thrust face...

Name:  iIKbpnh.jpg
Views: 135
Size:  405.8 KB

Here's a better pic of the uncoated and coated rings

Name:  LsKkFGF.jpg
Views: 136
Size:  808.8 KB

Quick Reply: Deburring and Polishing Engine Parts