C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Plug N Play Oil Cooler... Hot temps

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2017, 08:14 AM
PegasoLS3
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Plug N Play Oil Cooler... Hot temps

Well'p my car already had a hard time keeping up with cooling temps being too high N/A Heads/Cam only. On a hot Texas bumper to bumper traffic day. But once moving temps would drop to a solid 196 within 3 minutes.

Now I got a complete new setup D1SC procharger, mild cam FBO and all supporting mods.
Car has a fully forged LS3 (stock displacement) oil temps
always seemed to be about 30F higher than stock... Engine
has about 11k miles now and procharged setup about 600.

I got a shortened Dewitt's radiator with Engine oil cooler option (due to my custom charge pipe and blower filter)
Dual spal fans (one wired to its own relay/switch) and I can't keep the car under 220F coolant temps.
Now even with the AC off driving at 80+ temps do stay anywhere from 218-226F and my oil temps 235-245F

I got some C6Z oil cooler lines and ran them to the radiator... Didn't help they still run at the same temps. Been having a 1LE camaro Heat extractor hood vent, seemed to help on my N/A setup when moving but now not so more.

Ended up up cutting some sheet metal and completely enclosed the bottom of the car, like the under trays they use on track cars to direct all the airflow coming in the grill forced through the radiator. No help either. Possibly building an enclosed housing like the stock shroud may help? Any input on this?

I am am running a 160* thermostat. Water only with 2 water wetters.

My front air passage consists of a 3.5" core treadstone intercooler, Trucool 40k transmission cooler, condenser & Dewitt's radiator.
Maybe if I can maintain my oil temps at 190-200F it'll be a lot less harder for the cooling system to keep up. I already have the C6Z cooler lines installed and don't really want to deal with running new ones with fittings. Anyone know of any oil coolers that allow GM style quick connects? Or adapters. Possibly I can use the threaded fitting to the radiator to a oil cooler but unsure what thread size to use. I don't care about getting rid of a fog light or brake duct I just want to be able to drive it without worrying of it overheating.

Last edited by PegasoLS3; 07-23-2017 at 08:16 AM.
Old 07-23-2017, 10:39 AM
Slo-Poc
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Oil coolers in the fog light holes will help with oil and make sure the fans are coming on relatively early. Sealing the radiator fan shroud to the rad will also help. There is just no getting around hot temps in the south. If it's 90+ and 75% humidity and I know I'm coming up to traffic, pop hood, turn ac off when it gets to 220 and keep space between cars so when you move your actually getting some air in and out.
Hope that helps
Old 07-23-2017, 04:57 PM
PegasoLS3
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

can't even drive it with the AC on when just cruising.
Do you know of any oil coolers that can be used with the GM OEM cooling lines? I'm sure if I can drop the temps atleast 40F that'll help my coolant temps stay lower to where I can atleast enjoy the AC cruising
Old 07-23-2017, 08:17 PM
RPOWU8
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Good Thread here.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ng-update.html

DJ

Last edited by RPOWU8; 07-25-2017 at 03:45 PM.
Old 07-24-2017, 03:25 PM
ImprovedRacing
Supporting Vendor

Received 186 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by PegasoLS3
can't even drive it with the AC on when just cruising.
Do you know of any oil coolers that can be used with the GM OEM cooling lines? I'm sure if I can drop the temps atleast 40F that'll help my coolant temps stay lower to where I can atleast enjoy the AC cruising
The factory oil lines use quick connect fittings made by Jiffy-Tite.

The fittings on the factory cooler are quick connect to -8AN ORB and can be removed from the cooler. Therefore you can theoretically re-use these fittings and adapter them to an aftermarket cooler. Setrab oil coolers for example have a M22 female thread, so you'd need a -8AN ORB to M22 male fitting.

We offer an oil cooler kit for the C6 as well as an oil line kit that replaces the factory lines but keeps the factory cooler. Unfortunately we don't have a kit that replaces the cooler while maintaining the factory lines yet. If there's interest we will considering putting something together.

Like Us: Facebook - Twitter - Youtube
Instagram: @ImprovedRacing
Tag Us: #improvedracing
Old 07-25-2017, 11:07 AM
SpeedyWs6
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My car has zero issues with coolant temp with an ecs 2200r. Stock radiator, stock fan, oil cooler and trans cooler are not in the radiator, and I built shrouds to prevent air from spilling around the radiator, and cut the bumper support. My car did run hot before I had the shrouds and the cut bumper support. I also have to clean the radiator twice a year due to the grass and bug build up behind the condenser.

Get notified of new replies

To Plug N Play Oil Cooler... Hot temps

Quick Reply: Plug N Play Oil Cooler... Hot temps