C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

On3 Turbo Build

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2018, 10:08 AM
g23crawler
Burning Brakes

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by GaragedLS2
Was it rubbing on the pinch weld on the drivers side? I had to trim mine down quite a bit (a lot more than i wanted for sure) to get clearance. Funny I looked for this in your pics and it seemed like you had good clearance. Almost made me wonder if I had my turbos on the wrong side. I basically just cut the pinch weld down to the curve in the metal so I had as much clearance as I could get. Obviously that motor is going to move and that was awfully close before trimmed. Not all that bad considering this was literally the only "body" modification I had to make to the car to get it to fit. Some kits require you to cut up tons of stuff, which Im not a fan of.

Yup, I just trimmed it back to the frame. Also the On3 gates are huge, a trial mvr-sport or whatever is like 2" shorter than an On3. When I have some extra cash Id like to replace the gates on the housing with a Tial just to save space.
Old 10-08-2018, 10:51 AM
vettemayhem
Instructor

Received 88 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by g23crawler
Saturday was dry enough to get some testing done, no more rattling. I also unhooked the top two waste gates to see what would happen. Surprisingly the car now makes a constant 6psi like it should! Unfortunately it started raining again, I installed the block off plates I made where the top two waste gates go. I want to do some more testing to check for boost creep and make sure my boost controller works. If everything works I feel like this is a huge advantage to the system and only using two gates instead of 4.
Also should have everything for my external fuel system, hoping to get that installed this weekend or next week. Id like to get it back on the dyno soon, now that Ill have proper fuel and boost control. There's a roll race not to far from me Nov 10th id like to attend.
Good luck...hope you can make the roll race. Update us when you get the dyno numbers...fun to follow!
Old 10-08-2018, 10:56 AM
GaragedLS2
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by g23crawler
Saturday was dry enough to get some testing done, no more rattling. I also unhooked the top two waste gates to see what would happen. Surprisingly the car now makes a constant 6psi like it should! Unfortunately it started raining again, I installed the block off plates I made where the top two waste gates go. I want to do some more testing to check for boost creep and make sure my boost controller works. If everything works I feel like this is a huge advantage to the system and only using two gates instead of 4.
Also should have everything for my external fuel system, hoping to get that installed this weekend or next week. Id like to get it back on the dyno soon, now that Ill have proper fuel and boost control. There's a roll race not to far from me Nov 10th id like to attend.
This is huge, youre right. Really makes me wonder what kind of testing they did on this kit to think that 4 gates was the solution. Now you have 2 spare gates at least haha...not to mention a ton of engine bay real estate and less vacuum hoses.
Old 10-08-2018, 11:17 AM
g23crawler
Burning Brakes

This is huge, youre right. Really makes me wonder what kind of testing they did on this kit to think that 4 gates was the solution. Now you have 2 spare gates at least haha...not to mention a ton of engine bay real estate and less vacuum hoses.
My theory is the kit started with two gates on the manifold and obviously they didn't work good because of horrible placement. So they added gates on the housing to fix the issue, once it was fixed no time was taken to go back and see if the manifold gates were even needed.
Im hoping they really arnt needed. The system worked great when they were not hooked up to a vacuum source, which I think means they shouldn't open at all? Im itching to test what happens with them completely removed and blocked off.
Old 10-09-2018, 03:10 PM
opie85
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I’m really thinking about picking up one of these kits
Old 10-09-2018, 06:05 PM
g23crawler
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by opie85
I’m really thinking about picking up one of these kits
Not a bad kit if you know what you're getting into before hand.
Old 10-11-2018, 09:48 AM
g23crawler
Burning Brakes

Was able to drive the car for awhile last night with good and kinda bad news. Good news is, looks like I can confirm that blocking the top wastegates off worked. It held boost very well from what I could see while watching my gauge. Bad news is it looks like my reduced power probably is coming from the abs modular from up front or the ebcm what ever that is called. If I pull the abs fuse it won’t go into limp mode, second I put the fuse back it will go into limp mode only when traction control is turned off. If the traction control isn’t turned off it will not go into limp mode, also I’m not able to put it into competitive mode now either. I made a quick design of how I want to start on my axle back. Hoping to have that done soon, the car likes to throw fireballs.
Old 10-11-2018, 10:53 AM
GaragedLS2
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I believe Borla makes straight pipes like that. Glad to hear the wastegate blocks worked, I'll definitely be following suit. I swear youve had the worst luck with this car, glad you have some perseverance haha. Id have sold the damn thing by now! So youre holding steady at 10psi? Are you running the manual boost controller off of just the bottom ports as ON3 suggests?
Old 10-11-2018, 11:10 AM
g23crawler
Burning Brakes

I believe Borla makes straight pipes like that. Glad to hear the wastegate blocks worked, I'll definitely be following suit. I swear youve had the worst luck with this car, glad you have some perseverance haha. Id have sold the damn thing by now! So youre holding steady at 10psi? Are you running the manual boost controller off of just the bottom ports as ON3 suggests?
Yeah selling it has crossed my mind many times but the way I look at it no one will want to buy a car with problems so I may as well fix them myself. Im running a cheap manual boost controller and yes it just runs to the bottom ports (ports closest to turbo). I adjusted it a couple times, 7psi, 11, 14, Its kinda hard to tell since my gauge isnt digital but it seemed to hold pretty well. The only time I noticed it bounce around was when it was on the rev limiter. I scored a cheap set of z06 mufflers so I just need to make a set of delete pipes for it.
Old 10-11-2018, 01:31 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

Holley also makes a system just like that.
Old 10-11-2018, 01:57 PM
g23crawler
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Unreal
Holley also makes a system just like that.
I'd love to find a used blackheart system, dont think I really want to spend $600 on a new one though. We'll see how mine turns out first
Old 10-13-2018, 12:39 PM
Shikaitsu
Racer

Received 67 Likes on 53 Posts

I've been running the blackheart system for over a year now and I love it. I'm using the one with mufflers though, not their straight pipe system. I'm gonna have to sell it and upgrade to a 3 inch exhaust system which sucks but I'm hoping for a deeper tone.
Old 10-13-2018, 04:25 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

I'm 99% sure I'm going to order the blackheart with mufflers. No valves, just the muffler system. Shikaitsu, can you confirm the "main muffler" is straight through 3". Why would you have to sell it to upgrade? Looks like it is 3" system already.
Old 10-13-2018, 06:00 PM
opie85
Advanced

Why would you need to go to a 3in? There are plenty of people making 1000 hp with the 2.5in rear section
Old 10-14-2018, 08:41 PM
g23crawler
Burning Brakes

Why would you need to go to a 3in? There are plenty of people making 1000 hp with the 2.5in rear section
If i already had a 2.5" system I would just run that, but I dont have anything at the moment. So I figured if im making something I might as well make it 3".
Old 10-17-2018, 07:32 PM
opie85
Advanced

Can you tell me what the ar on the turbo is? Trying to spec out a cam before I order my kit.
Old 10-17-2018, 10:45 PM
g23crawler
Burning Brakes

Can you tell me what the ar on the turbo is? Trying to spec out a cam before I order my kit.
Honestly not sure, I wanna say .82 but not positive. Im sure a spec'd cam is better but BTR has a cam made for twin turbo 6.2's which is what I have. There service was pretty good too, I called and told them what I was doing and they put together an invoice for me with everything I needed. Glad I did that because there was alot of little stuff I would have missed.

Get notified of new replies

To On3 Turbo Build

Old 10-17-2018, 10:54 PM
g23crawler
Burning Brakes

https://www.briantooleyracing.com/bt...ge-ii-cam.html
Old 10-18-2018, 06:43 AM
opie85
Advanced

Brian Tooley is who I’m dealing with. They asked for the ar of the turbo and I have yet to get a response from on3 performance. Thanks for the help
Old 10-24-2018, 03:19 PM
flyinlow89
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

great thread im looking to purchase one of these kits and i knew there would be issues with it but im glad someone went through it first.

Quick Reply: On3 Turbo Build