C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

On3 Turbo Build

Old 09-24-2018, 09:14 AM
camarokidz28
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by g23crawler
Thanks guys, been a long ride for sure. Drove it quite a bit last night and tonight. Runs pretty good, coolant temps stay around 210-220. Oil temps get pretty hot, around 230-240. Every now and then it will go into reduce power mode. Not sure why yet, turn the car off and it goes back off. Overall it’s crazy fun, I’ll try and get some videos soon.
My oil temps are pretty similar. I have the dewitts with the EOC inside the radiator, although I wish I had gone with an external (may go that direction in the future). What are you doing for cooling?
Old 09-24-2018, 09:41 AM
g23crawler
Burning Brakes

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

All I currently have is the stock radiator setup. So far it has been fine, I need to drive it more to see what happens. The only one im really worried about is the oil temp, after some looking it seems oil temps are suppose to be around 230-240 but I noticed they kept climbing. I was intentionally worried about it with the turbos being next to the pan. If I end up putting a cooler on ill most likely use a improved racing oil thermostat and a generic cooler from speedway.
Old 09-24-2018, 09:30 PM
g23crawler
Burning Brakes

Got some 325/45r17 M&H tires coming, going to look good on these welds.

Last edited by g23crawler; 09-24-2018 at 09:42 PM.
Old 09-26-2018, 11:03 PM
g23crawler
Burning Brakes

Finally upgraded from a 2 stall garage, hopefully this means I can get more stuff done. Trying to re mount the scavenger pump this week. It wasn’t mounted very securely, also going to try and figure out the boost control issue. One thing I noticed is the dump tubes from the wastegates on the manifold are damn near clean and shiny. The dump tubes on the turbo housing wastegates are definitely being used. Makes me wonder if the top wastegates even work or needed. That test will come soon. Also got most of my parts to put an external aem 380 pump on. Does anyone one know at what point I need to drop the tank for the block off for the pressure regulator? Also already bottomed out on one of the inter cooler pipes. I heard it hit the other night, it was a pretty nasty dip so hopefully I can avoid that from now on.

Old 09-26-2018, 11:07 PM
g23crawler
Burning Brakes

Old 09-27-2018, 12:18 PM
Huskerman
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,796 Likes on 1,956 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Nice digs man.......gonna need a bigger beer fridge though I'm thinking...... Sent you a PM.....
Old 09-27-2018, 02:34 PM
5 Liter Eater
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

Only time you need to put the block off in the passenger tank is if the system pressure is set below ~50 PSI.
Old 09-27-2018, 02:35 PM
g23crawler
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 5 Liter Eater
Only time you need to put the block off in the passenger tank is if the system pressure is set below ~50 PSI.
What happens if the pressure drops below that? Only asking cause im pretty sure my car see low 40's in the 5k range but not sure.
Old 09-27-2018, 02:38 PM
5 Liter Eater
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

Then there's not enough pressure for the siphon pump in the passenger tank to send the fuel back to the drivers side. And 40# at WOT is no Bueno.

Last edited by 5 Liter Eater; 09-27-2018 at 02:39 PM.
Old 09-28-2018, 08:41 PM
GaragedLS2
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

My old rear mount setup used a similar design running to the intercooler and it scraped a bit as well so I was concerned that may be an issue with this one. I had brackets welded onto the old setup to get it to snug up to the cradle as tight as possible. they could have done that with this as well but the fitment is pretty taught as is so im sure its about as close as it'll be anyhow. These dang cars are so low you need to be careful in stock form, let alone decreasing clearance down there with pipes. Are you running any kind of PCV system on your car or a catch can? I'm trying to figure out how to route mine and its bugging me.
Old 09-29-2018, 11:47 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

Received 1,193 Likes on 1,052 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

What happens if the pressure drops below that? Only asking cause im pretty sure my car see low 40's in the 5k range but not sure.
no transfer from passenger to driver tank

if it’s only happening at wot then it’s not a big deal fuel transfer wise, there’s plenty of other time for it to work

obviously not ideal that it’s dropping that mich though...
Old 09-30-2018, 06:39 PM
g23crawler
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by GaragedLS2
Are you running any kind of PCV system on your car or a catch can? I'm trying to figure out how to route mine and its bugging me.
I am not currently running a catch can, valve covers are just vented now. It is on my list to do this winter though
Old 09-30-2018, 06:40 PM
g23crawler
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by schpenxel
no transfer from passenger to driver tank

if it’s only happening at wot then it’s not a big deal fuel transfer wise, there’s plenty of other time for it to work

obviously not ideal that it’s dropping that mich though...
Right, that’s why the rpm is set to 5300 now. Sorry I should have elaborated more, it was only dropping that low when boosting to 6,700rpm.
Old 10-02-2018, 12:14 AM
g23crawler
Burning Brakes

Not much of an update, been fixing a lot of little issues. Radiator blew an end cap, so have to fix that this week. Got all my gauges wired (fuel,afr,boost) got my 2step hooked up. Primary at 5300 and secondary at 2,200 on a push button switch. Finally fixed my leaky oil pump and mounted it more securely. Hoping to have my external pump all installed by the end of next week so I can take it back to my tuner. Until then here’s a boring video of it 2steping at 2,200.
Old 10-03-2018, 01:12 AM
vettemayhem
Instructor

Received 88 Likes on 47 Posts
Default Very Impressed

Not much of an update, been fixing a lot of little issues. Radiator blew an end cap, so have to fix that this week. Got all my gauges wired (fuel,afr,boost) got my 2step hooked up. Primary at 5300 and secondary at 2,200 on a push button switch. Finally fixed my leaky oil pump and mounted it more securely. Hoping to have my external pump all installed by the end of next week so I can take it back to my tuner. Until then here’s a boring video of it 2steping at 2,200.
https://youtu.be/hRBPN-kCV3U
Wow, I just read through the entire thread....and I am blown away with your tenacity and commitment to this build. It is really encouraging to me to see a 22, now 23 year old have such grit in the face of continuous challenge and difficulty. I know your PaPa is very proud and even though this 67 year old does not know you.....so am I. Thank you for the inspiration!.......I hope to meet you at an event.
Best always!
Old 10-03-2018, 09:27 AM
g23crawler
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by vettemayhem
Wow, I just read through the entire thread....and I am blown away with your tenacity and commitment to this build. It is really encouraging to me to see a 22, now 23 year old have such grit in the face of continuous challenge and difficulty. I know your PaPa is very proud and even though this 67 year old does not know you.....so am I. Thank you for the inspiration!.......I hope to meet you at an event.
Best always!
I appreciate the kind words!! This build has definitely tested my patience, Ill never be the fasted but I doubt 90% of the people faster than me can say they built their car from the ground up. And in a small two car garage on jack stands.
Old 10-04-2018, 11:19 PM
g23crawler
Burning Brakes

Had a knocking/rattling noise I couldn’t figure out where it was coming from. Felt like the whole car was rattling. Finally found the problem, and of course my buddies car was tore apart on the lift. So back to the floor and jack stands. Looks like the wastegate was rubbing on the floor board. Luckily iv only put 15 miles on it, wastegate has a small gouge in it but should be fine. Clearanced the floor board some more so it should be good now. Hopefully that fixes the noise, we’ll find out when it stops rain next week. Also noticed I was missing a bolt on it, took all the bolts out and applied red lock tight.

Get notified of new replies

To On3 Turbo Build

Old 10-06-2018, 10:43 AM
GaragedLS2
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Was it rubbing on the pinch weld on the drivers side? I had to trim mine down quite a bit (a lot more than i wanted for sure) to get clearance. Funny I looked for this in your pics and it seemed like you had good clearance. Almost made me wonder if I had my turbos on the wrong side. I basically just cut the pinch weld down to the curve in the metal so I had as much clearance as I could get. Obviously that motor is going to move and that was awfully close before trimmed. Not all that bad considering this was literally the only "body" modification I had to make to the car to get it to fit. Some kits require you to cut up tons of stuff, which Im not a fan of.
Old 10-06-2018, 03:42 PM
06orangeZ51
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Good to hear you’ve finally got this beast up and running! I’ve watched this build since the beginning and it brought back memories of my early 20’s building an entire car on jack stands while it was kept in a 10x20 storage unit!

Very impressive #’s and glad you stuck with it! Nothing better than driving something self built man! Hopefully you get some more good weather to finally enjoy it some once you get some good rubber out back.
Old 10-08-2018, 10:04 AM
g23crawler
Burning Brakes

Saturday was dry enough to get some testing done, no more rattling. I also unhooked the top two waste gates to see what would happen. Surprisingly the car now makes a constant 6psi like it should! Unfortunately it started raining again, I installed the block off plates I made where the top two waste gates go. I want to do some more testing to check for boost creep and make sure my boost controller works. If everything works I feel like this is a huge advantage to the system and only using two gates instead of 4.
Also should have everything for my external fuel system, hoping to get that installed this weekend or next week. Id like to get it back on the dyno soon, now that Ill have proper fuel and boost control. There's a roll race not to far from me Nov 10th id like to attend.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: On3 Turbo Build