C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Calling Heartbeat owners

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2018, 05:27 PM
irok
Safety Car

Received 500 Likes on 443 Posts

Originally Posted by rajahhindi
Hey Sammy,
Only got the car back last Wednesday and I had to return to work
on the Rock until this Tuesday. So, i only had a couple of quick
drives in the outer city as it was raining on/off as well. Gave the car
a couple of mid throttle squirts from a roll and it seemed strong. Cleaned it up, I hate dirty cars, and took it out again and after coming out of a roundabout, I floored it and the car just hammered through the gears.
NOW I know what you mean that they sound like an f1 car. Suprisingly,
the street tires did ok in this instance and gripped, as earlier I had tried
to feed it a bit of throttle from a dig, and it just blew the tires off.
Now for the pain in the *** problem I have with that noisey, squeaky
belt I spoke earlier about in this thread. Turns out it was not the blower belt, but the AC belt had jumped a rib on the crank pulley.

The shop put the belt back on the pulley, but did not have time
to look at the problem, as the truck was coming to pick the car up.
When I got the car, all was quiet for the short time I had it, until I started it in the morning I was leaving for work. The belt squeak had returned. I had a look and sure enough, the belt had jumped a rib again.

I had no time to look as I was catching a plane to work. So, not much else I can say until I fix that, as the misalignment seems to have returned with the AC compressor.
Do you happen to know if Holden ever built any left hand drive Ute's for export to anywhere in the world?and if so what country's were they built for?

Last edited by irok; 02-27-2018 at 05:29 PM.
Old 02-27-2018, 10:28 PM
rajahhindi
Racer

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by irok
Do you happen to know if Holden ever built any left hand drive Ute's for export to anywhere in the world?and if so what country's were they built for?
No, Sorry I do not, especially the late model ones I think you
might be asking about? Google would be your friend I think.
Old 03-17-2018, 12:53 AM
rajahhindi
Racer

No, Sorry I do not, especially the late model ones I think you
might be asking about? Google would be your friend I think.
OK I thought I might update on my AC belt problems. After returning from my 7 day stint on the Rock at work, I had a look underneath the car. The AC tensioner I found had a piece missing from it. see picky. I gather it happened on the many dyno pulls it had tuning it. I decided I would get a new tensioner from Rock Auto and wait a week for it to save 200 bucks Australian then buy a new one from holden here in OZ. Besides, I was away another week at work.

I fitted the new tensioner and a new continental/ gatorback belt and seems all is good? Took the car for a spin on a back road and it hauled ***..Tyres are scared! Part throttle from a dig and traction control has no idea what to do! Smoke billows out the back until I ease
off the pedal and get back into it..These street tyres are pretty useless, although they go ok from a roll.
They are Falken Azenis and I'm pretty impressed with how sticky they are.

I also bought the Dayco rib belt aligning tool. It is a magical tool if you want to check alignment. It has magnets to sit in the grooves of a pulley with a lazer to point at another piece that sits in another pulley. I used it to check my AC compressor to crank pulley alignment and it showed it spot on..

Anyway, fingers crossed that all is well now. Now already used to the power and want to go to maybe the 84 pulley and add my meth kit for octane. Sammy, did you have belt slip problems with the 84mm pulleyon the 6 rib? I don't want to go through what you have done!
Old 03-17-2018, 12:59 AM
rajahhindi
Racer

OK I thought I might update on my AC belt problems. After returning from my 7 day stint on the Rock at work, I had a look underneath the car. The AC tensioner I found had a piece missing from it. see picky. I gather it happened on the many dyno pulls it had tuning it. I decided I would get a new tensioner from Rock Auto and wait a week for it to save 200 bucks Australian then buy a new one from holden here in OZ. Besides, I was away another week at work.

I fitted the new tensioner and a new continental/ gatorback belt and seems all is good? Took the car for a spin on a back road and it hauled ***..Tyres are scared! Part throttle from a dig and traction control has no idea what to do! Smoke billows out the back until I ease
off the pedal and get back into it..These street tyres are pretty useless, although they go ok from a roll.

I also bought the Dayco rib belt aligning tool. It is a magical tool if you want to check alignment. It has magnets to sit in the grooves of a pulley with a lazer to point at another piece that sits in another pulley. I used it to check my AC compressor to crank pulley alignment and it showed it spot on..

Anyway, fingers crossed that all is well now. Now already used to the power and want to go to maybe the 84 pulley and add my meth kit for octane. Sammy, did you have belt slip problems with the 84mm pulleyon the 6 rib? I don't want to go through what you have done!
You can see the piece missing on the tensioner. Also see the marks on the pulley on the tensioner. The AC pulley had similar marks, suggesting that broken piece went thru both of them
Attached Images  
Old 03-17-2018, 01:46 AM
CI GS
Le Mans Master

Received 1,110 Likes on 780 Posts

Man, I’m glad to hear you’ve gotten it sorted. I think I’m gonna add one of those laser alignment tools to my collection soon.
I never installed, and I don’t have, an 84mm pulley. I went from the stock 96 to a 90mm, ran that for a while and then ordered an 81mm. Then, before I even got a chance to try the 81, I bought the cam kit and installed that, but had in the meanwhile picked up two GripTech pulleys, a 3.2” (81mm) which I installed and I’m still running right now, and also a 3.4” (87mm) which I’ve never used. Yeah, I wouldn’t wish my ordeal on my worse enemy. Well...maybe.
Good to hear you’re having fun with it and making plenty of tire smoke!
Old 03-17-2018, 04:25 AM
rajahhindi
Racer

Originally Posted by CI GS
Man, I’m glad to hear you’ve gotten it sorted. I think I’m gonna add one of those laser alignment tools to my collection soon.
I never installed, and I don’t have, an 84mm pulley. I went from the stock 96 to a 90mm, ran that for a while and then ordered an 81mm. Then, before I even got a chance to try the 81, I bought the cam kit and installed that, but had in the meanwhile picked up two GripTech pulleys, a 3.2” (81mm) which I installed and I’m still running right now, and also a 3.4” (87mm) which I’ve never used. Yeah, I wouldn’t wish my ordeal on my worse enemy. Well...maybe.
Hey Sammy,
Make sure you get the Dayco alignment tool and not the gates one.
It is good gear
The following users liked this post:
CI GS (03-17-2018)
Old 03-20-2018, 09:29 AM
schpenxel
Race Director

Received 1,194 Likes on 1,053 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

The Dayco one is nice.. it gives you more info. Gates one is just a laser pointer basically. Dayco gives a line that you can use to make sure pullies are actually on the same plane vs. not just pointed in the same direction at one spot

It's a pain to use on these cars with the limited space, but doable for sure. I haven't had a belt problem since using it on mine. Alternator and SC were both off (in opposite directions)
CI GS (03-20-2018)
Old 04-11-2018, 03:52 AM
rajahhindi
Racer

Facebook Post
Old 04-11-2018, 03:54 AM
rajahhindi
Racer

The guy driving the ute is a paraplegic, but loves his drag racing. he had several built 6l90es before going th400
Old 04-11-2018, 11:42 PM
CI GS
Le Mans Master

Nice! How are you enjoying that Heartbeat?
Old 04-12-2018, 10:18 PM
Chiselchst
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 387 Likes on 286 Posts

Sammy, I'd like to get your opinion - would the 10% OD HB with an 87 mm pulley be about the max combo to prevent major belt slip?
in my mind that's what I was planning to do if I did an upgrade to E85. I would also do a small blower cam, clutch, Etc. My parts and labor are estimated st $10k. Your opinion on whether or not that Poli combo would work well is a key factor and determining if I would do it or not.

FWIW, I had my first flat tire in my Corvette with non run-flats. While waiting for an articulating flatbed tow truck, I snagged my foot in an ivy vine and ruptured my Achilles. So now I'm laid up and can't put any weight on my foot, and I can't find one damn Toyo r888 or Toyo r888r anywhere. They are all on backorder.. So my car is broke and so am I lol

Rajahhindi - your car sounds like a beast! Glad to hear it's running good. Since you'll be getting new tires might as well burn those up LOL

QUOTE=CI GS;1596800468]Man, I’m glad to hear you’ve gotten it sorted. I think I’m gonna add one of those laser alignment tools to my collection soon.
Good to hear you’re having fun with it and making plenty of tire smoke![/QUOTE]

Last edited by Chiselchst; 04-13-2018 at 05:08 AM.
rajahhindi (04-13-2018)
Old 04-13-2018, 12:16 AM
CI GS
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Chiselchst
Sammy, I'd like to get your opinion - would the 10% OD HB with an 87 mm pulley be about the right combo to prevent major belt slip?
in my mind that's what I was planning to do if I did an upgrade to E85. I also do a small blower cam combo clutch, Etc. But if you think that would present belt slip issues I would like to know.

Rajahhindi - your car sounds like a beast! Glad to hear it's running good. Since you'll be getting new tires might as well burn those up LOL

QUOTE=CI GS;1596800468]Man, I’m glad to hear you’ve gotten it sorted. I think I’m gonna add one of those laser alignment tools to my collection soon.
[/QUOTE]

Hey Mitch. I seriously doubt that you would see any slip with an 87mm pulley and 8” (10%OD) balancer. If you were a little closer, I would gladly send you the 3.4” Griptech for you to try out. I believe it would make good power 650+whp and around 10-11psi with that setup and a decent blower cam, and it will make significantly more power than that if you run E85 with the extra timing that you can with that fuel.
As much as I like the IW balancer, if I had to do it over, I would’ve gone with the 12% OD ATI. That was actually my first choice, but the fact that I had to buy that in two pieces or have them assemble it, coupled with their shitty customer service, especially compared to IWs sterling way of dealing with customers, sold me on the IW. The two things that I don’t like about the IW is that with the bolts sticking out the front of the 8-rib balancer, it’s sometimes hard to get the belt down between that and the steering rack, and, secondly, the super smooth/shiny clear anodized finish of the pulley itself makes me wonder if the belt wouldn’t/doesn’t slip on that due to the shitty weakass stock tensioner. But, maybe that’s just me, always overthinking ****, or so I’ve often been told...
Old 04-13-2018, 04:03 AM
rajahhindi
Racer

Nice! How are you enjoying that Heartbeat?
Hey Sammy,
How is everything? See you are still having belt issues?
The heartbeat is great, but now again im having ac belt squeaking issues like i have had with every Continental Elite i have tried.
I checked alingment with the dayco tool and everything is perfect.
Before i tried the same brand of belts on when the car had no blower,
and had the same with belt squeaking. I know Rodney and Andy loved them, but i have had zero luck with them.

I'M ready to upgrade boost and add the alky control kit, but i might only go the 84mm pulley. 10 pounds of boost sounds about right.
Old 04-13-2018, 09:43 AM
CI GS
Le Mans Master

Hey Sammy,
How is everything? See you are still having belt issues?
The heartbeat is great, but now again im having ac belt squeaking issues like i have had with every Continental Elite i have tried.
I checked alingment with the dayco tool and everything is perfect.
Before i tried the same brand of belts on when the car had no blower,
and had the same with belt squeaking. I know Rodney and Andy loved them, but i have had zero luck with them.

I'M ready to upgrade boost and add the alky control kit, but i might only go the 84mm pulley. 10 pounds of boost sounds about right.
Hey Brian. I just recently tested it with a regular “green stripe” gates belt (in fact the same 98” one that came with the stock kit) and it was still slipping a bit up top, but I see where it hit 12.4x psi at the top of each gear. Looks like the more I ran it the better it held, so maybe it needed some heat in it?
I have since acquired the Dayco belt test kit (thanks for your advice on that) from Rockauto, but I haven’t had chance to use it yet. I also ordered another one of the Dayco tensioners with the heavier spring, since I screwed the other one up by using too short an RPM belt, which made it close violently on decel to the point that it tore up the stop on the tensioner body.
I have never heard a continental elite belt squeal, even though I’ve run at least two on my car, even when they were slipping. I would look to see that there’s not something else’s going on there, like an idler or accessory pulley with a bad bearing or something.

Last edited by CI GS; 04-13-2018 at 09:44 AM.
Old 04-13-2018, 12:46 PM
old motorhead
Le Mans Master

Received 1,339 Likes on 947 Posts

Originally Posted by Chiselchst
FWIW, I had my first flat tire in my Corvette with non run-flats. While waiting for an articulating flatbed tow truck, I snagged my foot in an ivy vine and ruptured my Achilles. So now I'm laid up and can't put any weight on my foot, and I can't find one damn Toyo r888 or Toyo r888r anywhere. They are all on backorder.. So my car is broke and so am I lol
I can relate to the Achilles thing. Had surgery two weeks ago to remove a bone spur from the back of my heel. Surgeon had to cut the Achilles loose back there to get room to chisel the spur off. I'm half way though a four week period where I can't put any weight on that foot. Sucks. If you don't have one already, get you a knee scooter. Beats the hell out of crutches. Hope yours heals completely and soon!

Set up like that, your blower speed should equate to having a 3.1" blower pulley with standard bottom pulley. With mild blower cam and bolt ons, mid to upper 600's at the wheels (assuming M6 tranny) is doable. 11ish psi if you're not too far above sea level.
Old 04-13-2018, 02:00 PM
Chiselchst
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 387 Likes on 286 Posts

Thanks Rodney,
I've got 2 Knee scooters, one upstairs and one to go outside.
I was hoping for mid 600's, glad to hear your take... Thanks
-------
Rajahhinda,
Sammy is the belt expert with the most experience, even if it is bad experience, LOL. But I've never heard of anybody saying their belt squeaks when it slips.
Reading about these other guys with 8 and 10 rib belts, flip drives Etc makes me wish we had more options.
Good luck and be safe...
------
Sammy thanks for the reply

Originally Posted by old motorhead
I can relate to the Achilles thing. Had surgery two weeks ago to remove a bone spur from the back of my heel. Surgeon had to cut the Achilles loose back there to get room to chisel the spur off. I'm half way though a four week period where I can't put any weight on that foot. Sucks. If you don't have one already, get you a knee scooter. Beats the hell out of crutches. Hope yours heals completely and soon!

Set up like that, your blower speed should equate to having a 3.1" blower pulley with standard bottom pulley. With mild blower cam and bolt ons, mid to upper 600's at the wheels (assuming M6 tranny) is doable. 11ish psi if you're not too far above sea level.
Old 04-22-2018, 02:23 PM
rajahhindi
Racer

Hey Brian. I just recently tested it with a regular “green stripe” gates belt (in fact the same 98” one that came with the stock kit) and it was still slipping a bit up top, but I see where it hit 12.4x psi at the top of each gear. Looks like the more I ran it the better it held, so maybe it needed some heat in it?
I have since acquired the Dayco belt test kit (thanks for your advice on that) from Rockauto, but I haven’t had chance to use it yet. I also ordered another one of the Dayco tensioners with the heavier spring, since I screwed the other one up by using too short an RPM belt, which made it close violently on decel to the point that it tore up the stop on the tensioner body.
I have never heard a continental elite belt squeal, even though I’ve run at least two on my car, even when they were slipping. I would look to see that there’s not something else’s going on there, like an idler or accessory pulley with a bad bearing or something.
Hey Sammy,
Sorted your belt slip with that green belt, or have you been slack like me? I'm still on the fence on going 84mm or 81 mm blower pulley. I want to order the pulley and belt this week, but don't really want on going belt slip drama. I'll fit the meth kit as I already have it, before getting it tuned. I'm on the fence also about 50:50 meth or 100 percent meth. I'll just probably leave that decision to the tuner, although meth is not popular here for street cars.

Do you think the griptec pulleys are worth it or just get the normal
magnuson pulleys? I'm a bit over 7.5 psi now so im thinking i'll be somewhere around 9.5 to 10 psi with the 84mm and hoping for 600whp, as I'm now 552.

Get notified of new replies

To Calling Heartbeat owners

Old 04-22-2018, 02:46 PM
rajahhindi
Racer

Originally Posted by old motorhead

Hey Rodney,
Do you remember where you fitted the meth nozzle on your vette's heartbeat intake?
Old 04-23-2018, 10:41 AM
old motorhead
Le Mans Master

Received 1,339 Likes on 947 Posts

Hey Rodney,
Do you remember where you fitted the meth nozzle on your vette's heartbeat intake?
Pretty sure it was in the top of the flexible tube between the CAI and throttle body. I remember questioning the location with the shop that did the install and tune. He assured me that it would be fine....and it was. Never had any trouble at all out of the Alky system.

Still wouldn't fool with meth again though. Just not enough upside to it in my book. No real failsafe being a big down side too. If you absolutely had to inject something, I'd do a 50/50 mix and not depend on the added octane from the meth.

100% meth is great for centri's and turbo's. Just not so much injected pre-blower on a top mount supercharger.
The following 2 users liked this post by old motorhead:
CI GS (04-24-2018), rajahhindi (04-25-2018)
Old 04-24-2018, 01:38 AM
CI GS
Le Mans Master

Hey Sammy,
Sorted your belt slip with that green belt, or have you been slack like me? I'm still on the fence on going 84mm or 81 mm blower pulley. I want to order the pulley and belt this week, but don't really want on going belt slip drama. I'll fit the meth kit as I already have it, before getting it tuned. I'm on the fence also about 50:50 meth or 100 percent meth. I'll just probably leave that decision to the tuner, although meth is not popular here for street cars.

Do you think the griptec pulleys are worth it or just get the normal
magnuson pulleys? I'm a bit over 7.5 psi now so im thinking i'll be somewhere around 9.5 to 10 psi with the 84mm and hoping for 600whp, as I'm now 552.
Hey Brian. I didn’t get much of a chance to work on the Vette until very recently, to prepare for a race event that we had over the weekend. I did try the 98” Continental (Gatorback) on it again, and it’s slipping, possibly worse than the old Green Stripe, with the boost wavering by about 1 - 1.5 psi up top. This is with the stock tensioner. I’m going to try a new Dayco tensioner with with the heavier spring that I recently ordered on it again, most likely with the Gates belt, and see what that does.
As it is, the damn car makes way too much power to hook with the 325/45/17 M&Hs at 17psi on a prepped (albeit rough) surface. Managed to make a couple of test hits on Sunday, just to get some data, and it got crossways both times. Second time I pedaled it down the track and it was spinning in third. Everyone else seemed to be able to hook, but not me. I had fun though, but I still have some work to do. I’m actually contemplating pulling those stupid Viking coilovers off the front, because the springs are binding on the upper control arm and also because based on a couple of videos I saw, it doesn’t transfer for ****, even with their drag race “weight transfer” settings. Ah well, first world problems, as they say.
I’ll let you know how the new tensioner works out. It hard to say whether the GripTech pulleys are worth it, being that they are like almost double the price of the Magnuson pulleys, IIRC. But they are quality pieces and I can’t see how it hurts. I’m still not certain whether my belt is slipping on the blower pulley or slipping on that nice, shiny surface on the IW balancer.
The following 2 users liked this post by CI GS:
Chiselchst (04-24-2018), rajahhindi (04-25-2018)

Quick Reply: Calling Heartbeat owners