C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Calling Heartbeat owners

Old 10-03-2017, 08:15 AM
rajahhindi
Racer

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts
Default Calling Heartbeat owners

I'm about to pull the trigger on a Heartbeat Supercharger for my base c6, and I have a couple of questions that I hope to have answer for me? The car is a 2008 ls3, a6 base. It already has haltech cold air with beehive, 13/4 inch headers, no cats standard h pipe with a corsa sport exhaust. A mild cam was just installed for the stock convertor and has produced on other vettes with this cam to around 450 rwh on a mustang dyno. I live in Australia in a hot tropical climate with high humidity, and was wondering if the d3p fans would be a good idea while I am freighting all the parts? The car runs around 205/210 f ECT with 90 deg air temps in traffic. These temps will rise to around 95 with higher humidity in the next few months. I s there any heartbeat owners run the stock radiator with the stock fan like mine in these temps with no problems? I do have a separate auto transmission cooler mounted in front of the condenser.
Also, I want to order either the 93mm pulley or 96 mm pulley to get around 520 to the wheels. So, do people think I will need bigger injectors at this level like the id 850's?

Thanks, Brian
Old 10-03-2017, 10:34 AM
ls1wolf
Burning Brakes

Received 188 Likes on 111 Posts

Cant answer on the fans and that type of heat... But with the climate I'm in at 80-90 for only a few months in summer, my EOC's hold around 195 with stock fan an rad.

With my cam and the 96mm (stock pulley), I'm still using the LS9 injectors that come with the kit and I'm at 581 on a mustang dyno. My injector duty cycle is in the 90's though so I'm maxed out till I upgrade injectors.

You will be 550++ with the 96 even in those temps with your cam on a mild tune.
The following users liked this post:
rajahhindi (10-04-2017)
Old 10-03-2017, 11:37 AM
Chiselchst
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 387 Likes on 286 Posts

I agree with ls1wolf on your expected HP. I'd bet you make those numbers with ease with the 96mm pulley. I have a 2012 GS with the HB, and a 90mm pulley (537rwhp), all else stock (stock cam). I also have the DeWitts radiator, with the stock fans. Mine does good with temps, especially while moving. Unreal - a very knowledgeable member here - believes the stock C6 fans do a decent job. Your additional tranny cooler will likely restrict radiator air flow, and you might benefit from the D3P fans...and a better radiator.
If your budget allows, I would recommend you consider the DeWitts radiator too, if you're concerned with temps.
I big fan of adequate cooling - even overkill
The biggest influence on my temps are how much air flow my car sees (is it moving or stopped and idling). If I'm moving constantly, it does extremely well on temps. In high temps, and LOTS of stopped traffic, is does run warmer but never too high. I've heard good things about those D3 fans, but do not know the price, or whether they would help you.
CI GS lives in a climate similar to yours, and is much smarter and knowledgeable than I, hopefully he'll chime in here.
The following 2 users liked this post by Chiselchst:
rajahhindi (10-04-2017), sallen619 (12-01-2017)
Old 10-03-2017, 03:12 PM
old motorhead
Le Mans Master

Received 1,336 Likes on 945 Posts

Your ECT's aren't far out of line. You'd probably benefit from more aggressive fan tuning. Getting them to come on sooner and at a higher percentage of full speed. It's debatable whether a 160* t'stat is a good move or not. Personally, I'd swap it out to a 180* stat and call it good. If that and the adjusted tune doesn't do it, a Dewitts radiator would be my next step.

It gets quite a bit warmer than 95*F along with high humidity here. Never had any cooling problems with my GS with Dewitts, cooler stat, and more aggressive fan tuning.

If you're at 450 wheel now, you don't need but about 4psi to hit your 520. I'd use the 93mm pulley. You might go a little past your numbers, but that's not the worst that could happen. The 96 would probably do it. Leave yourself a little cushion though. You have to get it tuned anyway.
rajahhindi (10-04-2017)
Old 10-03-2017, 04:47 PM
CI GS
Le Mans Master

Received 1,110 Likes on 780 Posts

I agree with all of above. If LS1wolf is at 581whp on a mustang dyno, you shouldn’t have any problem hitting you goal with the stock 96mm pulley. If your cam is milder than his, you may be able to just get away with using the 93mm with the LS9 injectors that come with the Hbeat kit.
I did not see any discernible cooling benefit from going with a Dewitt’s rad. Getting the right fan settings is where it’s at. I think I have mine at 90% across the board. Anything higher than that fries the fan connector, apparently. I’m also running a 160* thermostat.
As I said to you via email already, I would try to get the kit without injectors and with the 90mm and a matching belt. Skip the fancy aftermarket fans and even the Dewitt’s for now and invest some of that money in ID850s. You’ll most likely be able to hit easily 580-600whp then, even on your shops stingy Australian dyno.
Or, if you can’t or don’t want to change injectors, I believe you can still just barely get by with the 93mm pulley without maxing the LS9 injectors out completely.
rajahhindi (10-04-2017)
Old 10-04-2017, 07:52 AM
rajahhindi
Racer

Thanks Everyone,

I'm going to order the 90mm pulley, and the Id850's and see
what it can do. I'll get the other bits from the other heartbeat threads
like the bap, racetronix harness, dashlogic etc.
Old 10-04-2017, 09:21 AM
rajahhindi
Racer

Hey Guys,

Just found out the id850's are now discontinued and the next available is the id 1050x. Seem like rather big for my application? What about the id 725's? Thanks.
Old 10-04-2017, 09:41 AM
old motorhead
Le Mans Master

Received 1,336 Likes on 945 Posts

Originally Posted by rajahhindi
Hey Guys,

Just found out the id850's are now discontinued and the next available is the id 1050x. Seem like rather big for my application? What about the id 725's? Thanks.
The 725's are plenty unless you have a flex fuel setup in your future.
Old 10-04-2017, 09:46 AM
CI GS
Le Mans Master

Hey Guys,

I think the 725s would be enough for what you want to do. But I’ve just looked on IDs site and the 1050x is the smallest injector they have listed on there? WTF?
I would still try to get my hands on a set of ID850s if you can though. Some of the vendors on here may have still have a set in stock.
Old 10-04-2017, 02:01 PM
rajahhindi
Racer

Originally Posted by CI GS
I think the 725s would be enough for what you want to do. But I’ve just looked on IDs site and the 1050x is the smallest injector they have listed on there? WTF?
I would still try to get my hands on a set of ID850s if you can though. Some of the vendors on here may have still have a set in stock.
Looks like the 725's are unavailable too. Is there problems tuning/ running such big injectors with lowish demand on them?
Old 10-04-2017, 11:14 PM
CI GS
Le Mans Master

Looks like the 725's are unavailable too. Is there problems tuning/ running such big injectors with lowish demand on them?
That’s a bit above my pay grade. You need to talk to someone like Carson (schpenxel) who is running ID1000s in his car. He’s probably at around 700whp though. But I remember him saying how well the IDs work, even when they’re oversized. Maybe you should just go with the 93mm pulley and see how that works with the LS9 injectors? Or start with the 96 to be absolutely safe? It’s easy to change the upper pulley and belt later along with the injectors and then just retune it for those things.
Old 10-06-2017, 03:23 PM
rajahhindi
Racer

Originally Posted by ls1wolf
Cant answer on the fans and that type of heat... But with the climate I'm in at 80-90 for only a few months in summer, my EOC's hold around 195 with stock fan an rad.

With my cam and the 96mm (stock pulley), I'm still using the LS9 injectors that come with the kit and I'm at 581 on a mustang dyno. My injector duty cycle is in the 90's though so I'm maxed out till I upgrade injectors.

You will be 550++ with the 96 even in those temps with your cam on a mild tune.
Auto or manual? And how much boost?
Old 10-07-2017, 05:22 PM
ls1wolf
Burning Brakes

Received 188 Likes on 111 Posts

Auto or manual? And how much boost?
Auto, 6.5lbs with the 96mm
rajahhindi (10-08-2017)
Old 10-07-2017, 06:01 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

The 1050x have better low pulse width, better low end control, and more features than the 850s, making them completely obsolete. ID2000s idle like a kitten on these cars, so who cares about 850s. Just do the 1050s. Literally no down side compared to the 850s, just upsides.

My car idles at 675rpm with ID1300Xs. Tuned a car with ID 1700x and idles fine at 800rpm. Pulley size, peak power, etc has ZERO effect on fuel to idle. My car takes the same fuel to idle with 1300s as a heartbeat or even near stock car. Zero issues. ID has it down.

Last edited by Unreal; 10-07-2017 at 06:02 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Unreal:
Chiselchst (10-07-2017), CI GS (10-08-2017), rajahhindi (10-08-2017)
Old 10-08-2017, 12:45 AM
CI GS
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Unreal
The 1050x have better low pulse width, better low end control, and more features than the 850s, making them completely obsolete. ID2000s idle like a kitten on these cars, so who cares about 850s. Just do the 1050s. Literally no down side compared to the 850s, just upsides.

My car idles at 675rpm with ID1300Xs. Tuned a car with ID 1700x and idles fine at 800rpm. Pulley size, peak power, etc has ZERO effect on fuel to idle. My car takes the same fuel to idle with 1300s as a heartbeat or even near stock car. Zero issues. ID has it down.
Good to know.
Old 10-08-2017, 06:24 AM
rajahhindi
Racer

Thanks Nick.
Looks like i'll order a set of the id1050's and be done, plus a 93mm
pulley as well. I'll be on street tires for a while so i'll have to take
it easy until I get used to the new found power. Also, Sammy aka
CI GS suggested doing the back steam line crossovers while I had
access to the rear of the heads. I've looked at several kits, but just wondering if anyone with a heartbeat has done this mod and what
kit/fittings were used? Thanks a million everyone.
Old 10-08-2017, 08:38 AM
CI GS
Le Mans Master

If you’re upgrading the injectors to ID1050Xs, I would go with a 90mm pulley and be done with it.
BTW Brain, please remind me, are you’re running the stock balancer and did you pin it already when you changed the cam? If not, I would urge you to consider getting good balancer to replace the stock one.
If you were to go that route, please bear in mind that a 10% OD (8” dia.) balancer/drive pulley with a 96mm upper pulley will produce the same drive ratio (2.11:1) as a stock 7.5” balancer with a 90mm pulley, and the larger pulleys will give you better belt grip.
This is how this chronic parts-buying disease starts...
rajahhindi (10-08-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To Calling Heartbeat owners

Old 10-08-2017, 08:55 AM
rajahhindi
Racer

If you’re upgrading the injectors to ID1050Xs, I would go with a 90mm pulley and be done with it.
BTW Brain, please remind me, are you’re running the stock balancer and did you pin it already when you changed the cam? If not, I would urge you to consider getting good balancer to replace the stock one.
If you were to go that route, please bear in mind that a 10% OD (8” dia.) balancer/drive pulley with a 96mm upper pulley will produce the same drive ratio (2.11:1) as a stock 7.5” balancer with a 90mm pulley, and the larger pulleys will give you better belt grip.
This is how this chronic parts-buying disease starts...
Yeah, changed the balancer and it is pinned from cam change.
It is a stock powerbond, as that is what is popular here. I'm a little worried of going for toooo much power as I want some reliability. ie drivetrain etc. I'LL probably go to the strip once or twice just to see what it can do, but otherwise its my special toy that sits at home
in the garage. In Australia, this car gets attention like its the latest, best Lambo. I live in a city just short of 200k people and I'm the only c6 here. So, I get lots of looks, smiles, waves, people wanting photos with the car every time I drive it. What sort of power do you think I would get with a 90mm pulley at what sort of boost?
Old 10-08-2017, 09:30 AM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

My rear steam lines still are not connected. I tried the n2o outlet kit, and it didn't fit at all. If I was going to do it, and sooner or later I will, I would just buy the $30 OEM GM piece and run that. No need for a fancy $150+ kit.

ID dropped the 850s because there was simply no reason to continue to make them. The 1050s give more headroom, at same price, with better performance. Any of the X series are amazing. Full ground up design.
rajahhindi (10-08-2017)
Old 10-08-2017, 10:49 AM
CI GS
Le Mans Master

My rear steam lines still are not connected. I tried the n2o outlet kit, and it didn't fit at all. If I was going to do it, and sooner or later I will, I would just buy the $30 OEM GM piece and run that. No need for a fancy $150+ kit.

ID dropped the 850s because there was simply no reason to continue to make them. The 1050s give more headroom, at same price, with better performance. Any of the X series are amazing. Full ground up design.
Where can you get one of these $30 GM pieces? Is it for the older LS engines? The Hbeat kit comes with a replacement crossover for the front, but retains the factory plugs on the rear (as in picture below).
I recall that I had thought about bending/cutting and using the the factory LS3 front crossover piece on the rear, when I installed my blower, but for some reason I can’t recall (probably just got lazy or forgot about it, to be honest) I didn’t do that. But I remember thinking that factory front piece couldn’t be used as is, because it has a long nipple pointing forward, which would point rearward if installed on the back side of the engine/heads and hit the cowl/firewall.
BTW: Magnuson sells a crossover separately, at a premium (~$130), naturally. That may be able to work on the rear, since the nipple is short and points upwards at an angle. Here’s a link to it on SCOLs website:
http://www.superchargersonline.com/i...oducts_id=7792
Attached Images  

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Calling Heartbeat owners