C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heading to the wind tunnel

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2017, 07:36 PM
RecMech
Pro

Received 325 Likes on 148 Posts

Default Heading to the wind tunnel

We have an appointment on the 23rd at the A2 Wind Tunnel in Morresville, NC. This will be our first time down there. I am hoping to ensure the car has a good f/r balance and then focus on reducing drag during the tests.

I have 2 hoods, my homemade cowl as well as a new VFN Sunoco cowl. I may try to locate a cheap stock hood to get a baseline number as well.

Will also be testing changes to the spoiler, splitter, side skirts, hood vents, wheel covers, mirrors, cowl, grille opening, fenders, etc.

Data should be helpful on our quest for more mph, as well as ensuring a level of safety.

Should be an experience.. I have no aero background, but I did read a book

My hood:

vs. VFN

Last edited by RecMech; 10-05-2017 at 07:39 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by RecMech:
Nowanker (12-02-2017), yur2slo (10-06-2017)
Old 10-05-2017, 10:11 PM
darknit
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

every time I have my c6 up on the lift I get upset looking at the rear bumper design from underneath... it looks like it has to catch a ton of air at high speeds and mess with the rear stability some... I've thought about building my own front splitter extended to middle of engine bay possibly and a custom rear diffuser that would extend to middle of rear suspension cradle... I worry more about airflow under my car then over I guess...

if you can; set up a go-pro under car pointed to rear and see how much wind tunnel smoke gets hung up by rear bumper ???
Old 10-06-2017, 11:40 AM
neverstop
Melting Slicks

Received 108 Likes on 102 Posts

SO COOL. really interested to see what data comes out of this.

that's a good idea on putting gopro on a big stick so can look under neath

I remember LMR did this with their blue tejon car, maybe worth calling them to ask them what they found

I'm going to guess your vented hood has lower drag

No idea on your class rules but I toyed with the idea of building something out of a thick sheet of carbon fiber with studs around the outside edge that fit over the front bumper hole and into holes drilled around the opening to just cover the whole thing when at the track. Then I remembered I drive a street car (haha). But might be worth testing to see if covering that whole thing helps. I would think that in a run that long given heat generated etc that the airflow through radiator, etc doesn't really matter over the course of a run.
Old 10-06-2017, 12:33 PM
Ant-Man
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

Damn that splitter looks mean, who makes those
Old 10-06-2017, 04:57 PM
RecMech
Pro

Originally Posted by darknit
every time I have my c6 up on the lift I get upset looking at the rear bumper design from underneath... it looks like it has to catch a ton of air at high speeds and mess with the rear stability some... I've thought about building my own front splitter extended to middle of engine bay possibly and a custom rear diffuser that would extend to middle of rear suspension cradle... I worry more about airflow under my car then over I guess...

if you can; set up a go-pro under car pointed to rear and see how much wind tunnel smoke gets hung up by rear bumper ???
I agree, the rear valence looks like an aero nightmare. I dont have the time or expertise to fab a functional diffuser, I will be trying to test with the stock part removed, and possibly an under-tray up front.

I do have gopro's in the car, but hadn't planned on putting them under the car.. Great idea! Just ordered a couple different clamp mounts, thanks!
Old 10-06-2017, 05:04 PM
RecMech
Pro

Originally Posted by neverstop
SO COOL. really interested to see what data comes out of this.

that's a good idea on putting gopro on a big stick so can look under neath

I remember LMR did this with their blue tejon car, maybe worth calling them to ask them what they found

I'm going to guess your vented hood has lower drag

No idea on your class rules but I toyed with the idea of building something out of a thick sheet of carbon fiber with studs around the outside edge that fit over the front bumper hole and into holes drilled around the opening to just cover the whole thing when at the track. Then I remembered I drive a street car (haha). But might be worth testing to see if covering that whole thing helps. I would think that in a run that long given heat generated etc that the airflow through radiator, etc doesn't really matter over the course of a run.
Our guess is that my hood will be a little better, but we will see. It does weigh about 10 pounds more. Lower drag number will determine what stays on the car for 2018. I will be prepared to vent the VFN hood if the data leads us there.

I will be fabbing up 3 separate pieces to block the front end as well as lower the splitter closer to the ground. We have already blocked a large chunk of the radiator with the intercooler, so blocking part of the grill should not be a deal breaker.
Old 10-06-2017, 05:06 PM
RecMech
Pro

Originally Posted by Ant-Man
Damn that splitter looks mean, who makes those
Off the shelf Katech fiberglass splitter for the base C6.. Still in gel-coat, I never got around to painting it.

I do have 2 custom support brackets to the lower edge underneath.. Proven to hold over 250mph.
Old 10-06-2017, 05:25 PM
yur2slo
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Very interested in the results. Had a front and rear splitter fabbed on my old C6Z as well as flat panels underneath to smooth everything out. Never had the chance to run it full-tilt with that set up. Was always curious what adding the GTC-500 wing to the Carlyle drag wing would do (the idea of adding a little downforce for traction instead of having traction control pull power) Awesome that you are doing this.

Old 10-06-2017, 07:39 PM
neverstop
Melting Slicks

Received 108 Likes on 102 Posts

really awesome.

if you google "LMR corvette tejano blue" you can see what they did to the rear bumper of their vette where they added some vents, kind of like how the honda drag guys to their rear bumpers. I know LMR went to wind tunnel with that car so maybe they were onto something.
Old 10-08-2017, 02:45 AM
chuntington101
Melting Slicks

Received 113 Likes on 100 Posts

Take plenty of tape and board to fab stuff up! You might needs guides up front to guide air to the rad. You can then make the front opening smaller. Venting the hood would also help. Plenty of gains to be had at the rear end just cleaning the airflow up.

Please let us know the results!
Old 10-09-2017, 05:35 AM
stevieturbo
Melting Slicks

Received 140 Likes on 125 Posts

Some cameras to record the results would be great too if smoke etc is being used.

But if you can prevent most of the air getting under the car in the first place that probably negates some or most of the effects of any air towards the rear valance area ?

And anything that can reduce overall lift can only help stability, although I'd imagine those cars already being extremely aerodynamic and well designed should be very stable at speed anyway ?
Old 10-09-2017, 09:39 AM
DOUG @ ECS
Premium Supporting Vendor

Location: Providing the most proven supercharger kits for your C5/6/7 609-752-0321
Received 1,085 Likes on 656 Posts

If you need a stock hood you are welcome to stop by ECS on your way down and pick one up, good luck with it!
Old 10-09-2017, 10:36 AM
RecMech
Pro

Originally Posted by DOUG @ ECS
If you need a stock hood you are welcome to stop by ECS on your way down and pick one up, good luck with it!
Appreciate the offer Doug.. I picked up a mint yellow hood the other day for $200. If nothing else, it can go up on the wall once we are done.
Old 10-18-2017, 12:18 PM
FNBADAZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 634 Likes on 443 Posts

Looking forward to the results and what you find !!! I run 1/2 mile events at this time but hoping to get to Mohave Magnum 1 and 1.5 mile events later next year.
Old 10-18-2017, 01:19 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

Received 1,194 Likes on 1,053 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Sub'd
Old 10-19-2017, 09:54 AM
Turbo-Geist
Melting Slicks

Received 176 Likes on 138 Posts
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C5 of Year Finalist

Are you having any issues with traction? I'm not sure if it's in your scope for this trip, but it would be interesting to see what types of changes to the rear wing might add rear down-force without creating too much drag.
Old 10-19-2017, 04:49 PM
RecMech
Pro

Originally Posted by Turbo-Geist
Are you having any issues with traction? I'm not sure if it's in your scope for this trip, but it would be interesting to see what types of changes to the rear wing might add rear down-force without creating too much drag.
I do have traction issues thru 3rd gear, but I don't want to add any drag on the top end. If it were half mile or mile, it might be different.

The goal is to end up with minimal down force front and rear (as close to equal as we can get) and then reduce drag.

Get notified of new replies

To Heading to the wind tunnel

Old 10-19-2017, 04:58 PM
RecMech
Pro

Just about ready to go.. All the pieces are just temporary for testing. I have quite a few other pieces mocked up to try as well.

I will spend Saturday packing and cleaning off the 250mph bug guts

Old 10-19-2017, 05:00 PM
RecMech
Pro

Suspension will be at ride height with no springs.

No springs gives it a ton of articulation!

Last edited by RecMech; 10-19-2017 at 05:04 PM.
The following users liked this post:
schpenxel (10-20-2017)
Old 10-22-2017, 09:01 AM
FNBADAZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 634 Likes on 443 Posts

Looking forward to the testing !!!
I''m also going to do the flat under panel on the ZR1 splitter, back to the engine cradle like you are testing. That should help quite a bit with airflow under that area of the car

Quick Reply: Heading to the wind tunnel