C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear mount turbo oil supply and return

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2017, 01:32 AM
GaragedLS2
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Rear mount turbo oil supply and return

I'm considering a different setup since my turbos are apparently too big for my application. I might be switching from oilless turbos to oil cooled. I was wondering if it was possible to run this adapter and run my supply AND return for my turbos. I see lots of people running the supply to turbos from the oil filter/cooler location but usually returning it to the valve cover. Am I missing why this wouldnt work as the return and supply?
Attached Images  
Old 11-08-2017, 07:09 AM
Six-Gun-Todd
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Both lines of the oil cooler are pressurized so no you can't return it there....

The scavenge pump is relatively low pressure and collects the oil spray from the turbo and can be routed to the valve cover or in dry sump cars back to the tank (really the best option imo).
Old 11-08-2017, 07:09 AM
Rkreigh
Le Mans Master

Received 707 Likes on 543 Posts

the supply side for the turbos doesn't need anything remotely that big

for the turbos, unrestricted flow to the collection tank for the oil return is very important as the oil is foamed up and has more volume

not the right part my friend for either side.

PM me for some help

I'd do this use hard lines for the feed side. check for any needed oil restrictors and the correct side for your particular tubos.

oil cooled is plenty for rear mount turbos. and use a nice tank with BIG unrestricted lines coming out of the turbo (1/2 or more) that properly gravity drain to the collection tank for the scavenge pump

one line out to the pump and you are good!
The following users liked this post:
GaragedLS2 (11-08-2017)
Old 11-08-2017, 07:30 AM
GaragedLS2
Racer

Ok so smaller supply line and larger return line. If grabbing the supply from the oil filter/cooler location is not good, where should I tap into for a supply to the turbos?

I found this nifty little gadget on ebay and it looks nice and I figured I can return it here instead.
Attached Images  
Old 11-08-2017, 09:54 AM
staticki
Burning Brakes

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Good choice on getting rid of what I am assuming where Comp oil-less turbos. Comp turbos are garbage.

For a feed, you can get a plate like the one you have that goes in-between the oil cooler line and the pan, but only need a feed. Coming from the turbo's for a return, I would go to a scavenge pump myself and shoot it back to the pan by taping the side with a NPT fitting.
GaragedLS2 (11-08-2017)
Old 11-08-2017, 06:45 PM
c5wolf
Melting Slicks

Received 65 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by GaragedLS2
Ok so smaller supply line and larger return line. If grabbing the supply from the oil filter/cooler location is not good, where should I tap into for a supply to the turbos?

I found this nifty little gadget on ebay and it looks nice and I figured I can return it here instead.
Use the oil cooler adaptor you first pictured or lingenfelter is less but Both are similar. Then go ahead and add a oil cooler and put in the front by your intercooler. Then out of the small 1/8" hole you run the steel braid or hard line to your turbos with a y block to feed each turbo. Your turbo supplier will tell you if you need a oil restrictor. Also add checkvalves for both sides of system. Use a exa pump turbowerx for your oil return pump. You will not need as large of a turbo for a rear mount and the hot side pipes will be your limiting factor if you have the fuel. It will be a lot easier to go with a couple of 500-600 hp turbos each so you don't need real large nor do you want a large a/r ratio unless you prefer your power to come on later and higher.
GaragedLS2 (11-08-2017)
Old 11-08-2017, 06:49 PM
GaragedLS2
Racer

Originally Posted by staticki
Good choice on getting rid of what I am assuming where Comp oil-less turbos. Comp turbos are garbage.

For a feed, you can get a plate like the one you have that goes in-between the oil cooler line and the pan, but only need a feed. Coming from the turbo's for a return, I would go to a scavenge pump myself and shoot it back to the pan by taping the side with a NPT fitting.
They are comp oilless and I have them for sale

I didnt have any problems with them and loved the simplicity of the oilless design honestly. I'm only selling them because I was a little overzealous in sizing them and they are WAY too big for my application and power needs.

Cost is really the driving factor in buying oil cooled turbos for me at this point. I paid about $4000 for my comps and I'm finding what I need for almost half that in oil cooled applications. It just seems like a smarter choice even given I'd need a scavenge pump, new fittings, etc.

I do plan to run a turbowerx scavenge pump. I like the idea of returning to the oil pan since its out of sight. I suppose I could use my nifty oil cap for my catch can and still do that. I did do a lot of reading on oil pressures, scavenge pump setups and how it all plays into rear mounts. Hopefully that knowledge can be put to use when i switch over.
Old 11-08-2017, 06:55 PM
GaragedLS2
Racer

Originally Posted by c5wolf
Use the oil cooler adaptor you first pictured or lingenfelter is less but Both are similar. Then go ahead and add a oil cooler and put in the front by your intercooler. Then out of the small 1/8" hole you run the steel braid or hard line to your turbos with a y block to feed each turbo. Your turbo supplier will tell you if you need a oil restrictor. Also add checkvalves for both sides of system. Use a exa pump turbowerx for your oil return pump. You will not need as large of a turbo for a rear mount and the hot side pipes will be your limiting factor if you have the fuel. It will be a lot easier to go with a couple of 500-600 hp turbos each so you don't need real large nor do you want a large a/r ratio unless you prefer your power to come on later and higher.
You always have a lot of answers!

I am thinking of going with T3/T4 57 trim turbos with a .63 a/r - wanted to go with a .48 but my turbo selection for the horsepower range id like to be in is very limited in that small of an exhaust housing. I figured a 57 trim is good for about 400 and im looking to make in the ballpark of 650 range, so I should be good. Id feel more comfortable with a .48 a/r still but we'll try them out. Coming from comp 6267s that are good for like 800hp each, im sure lag will be far less pronounced haha. Thats a great idea on running the supply off the 1/8npt port on that adapter, didnt even think about that one. Now that I'm going oil cooled turbos I feel an oil cooler is more of a necessity so I'll take your advice and go that route. I appreciate the input.

When you say check valves for both sides do you mean supply and return or to both turbos on the supply? Any recommendations on the check valve? Ive heard you want something with a 1psi differential and ive heard people say as high as 3. I also see STS runs pressure switches on their oil pumps now, my kit does not have that. Is that something you'd recommend as well?
Old 11-08-2017, 10:51 PM
c5wolf
Melting Slicks

Received 65 Likes on 62 Posts

I am thinking of going with T3/T4 57 trim turbos with a .63 a/r - wanted to go with a .48 but my turbo selection for the horsepower range id like to be in is very limited in that small of an exhaust housing. I figured a 57 trim is good for about 400 and im looking to make in the ballpark of 650 range, so I should be good. Id feel more comfortable with a .48 a/r still but we'll try them out. Coming from comp 6267s that are good for like 800hp each, im sure lag will be far less pronounced haha. Thats a great idea on running the supply off the 1/8npt port on that adapter, didnt even think about that one. Now that I'm going oil cooled turbos I feel an oil cooler is more of a necessity so I'll take your advice and go that route. I appreciate the input.

When you say check valves for both sides do you mean supply and return or to both turbos on the supply? Any recommendations on the check valve? Ive heard you want something with a 1psi differential and ive heard people say as high as 3. I also see STS runs pressure switches on their oil pumps now, my kit does not have that. Is that something you'd recommend as well?
No to the pressure switch as it sucks. Yes you put a check valve on the supply side so that when the engine is shut off residual pressure doesn't allow the turbos to still receive oil.Then one check valve on the output side of the oil return pump so that when you shut the car off any oil still in the return line will not back flow into the turbos.
https://www.rbracing-rsr.com/oilsystems.htm
This place has all the parts you will need.
And a set of ball bearing 5858 are good for over 600 each.I had those and went to 5252 good for 525 each. I had a .63 a/r which worked great but I just changed to the .48 and it comes on real fast with the 3400 stall it's pretty much instant 14 lbs
Old 11-08-2017, 11:19 PM
GaragedLS2
Racer

Originally Posted by c5wolf
No to the pressure switch as it sucks. Yes you put a check valve on the supply side so that when the engine is shut off residual pressure doesn't allow the turbos to still receive oil.Then one check valve on the output side of the oil return pump so that when you shut the car off any oil still in the return line will not back flow into the turbos.
This place has all the parts you will need.
And a set of ball bearing 5858 are good for over 600 each.I had those and went to 5252 good for 525 each. I had a .63 a/r which worked great but I just changed to the .48 and it comes on real fast with the 3400 stall it's pretty much instant 14 lbs

Perfect, looks like I can start ordering parts then! Thanks
Old 11-09-2017, 10:17 AM
staticki
Burning Brakes

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Make sure you put the check valve as close to the source as possible. Seen where people put them right before the turbo's and it is the dumbest thing ever. You want to ensure that you have a buffer so the turbo's don't run dry for a few seconds while the pump builds pressure.
Old 11-11-2017, 10:33 AM
darknit
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

I have a pair of STS 57mm .48ar turbo's collecting dust in my garage

I bought them from a from a guy who upgraded to 62mm on his c6z06... Pretty sure they have only 8k miles on them...

I decided against fabricating my own rear mount kit and just bought an A&A vortech supercharger instead...
Old 11-11-2017, 08:28 PM
GaragedLS2
Racer

Originally Posted by darknit
I have a pair of STS 57mm .48ar turbo's collecting dust in my garage

I bought them from a from a guy who upgraded to 62mm on his c6z06... Pretty sure they have only 8k miles on them...

I decided against fabricating my own rear mount kit and just bought an A&A vortech supercharger instead...
I talked to Rick at STS about a new set of turbos and after seeing what he wanted for them I've also started considering just going a different route. I have the comps up for sale here and on ebay and I just listed the whole turbo kit with the 57s that I just bought up as well. Wish I'd of known someone had a set of these sitting around, i might have changed my mind if the price was right. Where did you see boost on those out of curiosity? Rear mount is a great idea for heat, room, accessibility, etc. Its just very picky on the size of your turbine wheel and a/r from my experience.
Old 11-11-2017, 10:18 PM
darknit
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

I talked to Rick at STS about a new set of turbos and after seeing what he wanted for them I've also started considering just going a different route. I have the comps up for sale here and on ebay and I just listed the whole turbo kit with the 57s that I just bought up as well. Wish I'd of known someone had a set of these sitting around, i might have changed my mind if the price was right. Where did you see boost on those out of curiosity? Rear mount is a great idea for heat, room, accessibility, etc. Its just very picky on the size of your turbine wheel and a/r from my experience.
I never got around to putting them on my car, but the guy I bought them from said they spooled super quick(like by 4k)... the price is definitely good, I would sell them "cheap", ha...

Get notified of new replies

To Rear mount turbo oil supply and return

Quick Reply: Rear mount turbo oil supply and return