C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How much do you or would you pay to get a LS2 forged internals done?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2017, 09:30 PM
StallionCorvette
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Default How much do you or would you pay to get a LS2 forged internals done?

I am contemplating the fact to make my engine bullet proof (per say) i had invested a bit of $$$ and want to keep the car, that said my question is... which route did you take your car when you had the forged internals done????and how much did you guys spend or approximately were estimated to do such job??

I have a 07 M6 Maggie tvs2300, headers, COMP mild cam, springs & trunnions kit and pushrods, LS3 Crank Bolt (pinned), MSD booster pump, KNG spark plugs, 160 stat, MGW short shifter, Upgraded the Harmonic Balancer, Doug Rippie Bilstein shocks and Z06 front and rear spring leafs with front and rear Z06 sway bars, pretty solid car it runs good has a good tune to it tuned to keep it civil and reliable. Running on stock bottom end and internals other than the cam.

Thank you, any input will be greatly appreciated gents!

Old 11-16-2017, 03:05 PM
EuroRod
Race Director

Received 168 Likes on 66 Posts

Depends..... are you planning on doing some or all of the work yourself? Parts, pistons, rods, crank (stroker ?) and all parts to do a complete rebuild like bearings, gaskets, timing chain, etc could be around $3500-$4500. Labor for install the parts by a reputable guy probably around $1500, then pulling and reinstalling the engine another $2000. These are ball parks figures on what I paid a year ago to repair my stock LS2 ProCharged. My engine "should" be bullet proof. Good luck.
The following users liked this post:
StallionCorvette (12-15-2017)
Old 11-16-2017, 03:14 PM
C U IN REARVEIW
Le Mans Master

Received 110 Likes on 101 Posts

Sub'd
Old 12-16-2017, 12:05 AM
StallionCorvette
Racer

Originally Posted by EuroRod
Depends..... are you planning on doing some or all of the work yourself? Parts, pistons, rods, crank (stroker ?) and all parts to do a complete rebuild like bearings, gaskets, timing chain, etc could be around $3500-$4500. Labor for install the parts by a reputable guy probably around $1500, then pulling and reinstalling the engine another $2000. These are ball parks figures on what I paid a year ago to repair my stock LS2 ProCharged. My engine "should" be bullet proof. Good luck.
I would love to have the time to work on my car yet i am no gearhead either so i would leave that to the pro's. There is a reputable shop near by me Redline Motorsport down here in Pompano Beach FL.

I was told by them a ball park figure of 10k to forge my LS2...at this point i do not know if it is high or a good price i have no comparison estimates to compare it with.

I was told that mainly they only use MANLEY parts when they do forge internals yet i do not have a scope of work of all the parts that would need to be "forged".

Old 12-16-2017, 12:06 AM
StallionCorvette
Racer

Any input it would help greatly gents

Thank you

*weekend bump
Old 12-16-2017, 12:57 AM
Redline Motorsports
Melting Slicks

Received 124 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by StallionCorvette
I would love to have the time to work on my car yet i am no gearhead either so i would leave that to the pro's. There is a reputable shop near by me Redline Motorsport down here in Pompano Beach FL.

I was told by them a ball park figure of 10k to forge my LS2...at this point i do not know if it is high or a good price i have no comparison estimates to compare it with.

I was told that mainly they only use MANLEY parts when they do forge internals yet i do not have a scope of work of all the parts that would need to be "forged".

Well we most certainly can appreciate a customer doing his homework! The budget number we provided is pretty close and was hopefully close enough to see if we are in your range.

Be assured we are the only LS based shop in South FLA that actually builds all our engines in house. This said we take a lot of pride in ensuring that all aspects of the build are done properly. We also only use top shelf parts and when we say the engine has those parts....it has those parts. Much of the quote is related to labor. Removing the engine, disassemble and inspect, machine work, reassembly, reinstall and calibration.

Also understand when we are doing an "overhaul" vs a new complete engine build, there are items that may need to be replaced due to wear that we don't know until the engine is removed and inspected. The ball park you where given often has a misc line for these items.

If you are serious about this build I suggest you make some time to visit our facility and allow us to walk you through the build process as well as show you the parts we have allocated for this build.

We look forward to an opportunity to work with you.

HT
StallionCorvette (12-16-2017)
Old 12-16-2017, 09:19 AM
Ant-Man
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

Stock block with internals should be like 3-5k.
Old 12-16-2017, 10:09 AM
realcanuk
Le Mans Master

Received 394 Likes on 359 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

There are various qualities of parts. You often get what you pay for.
The following 2 users liked this post by realcanuk:
StallionCorvette (12-16-2017), winters97gt (12-25-2017)
Old 12-16-2017, 11:14 AM
c6 monkey
Pro

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

I paid $4600.00 for a new block, forged pistons and rods, stock crank. If I couldn't do all the work myself my car would be stock and my life would suck.
Old 12-16-2017, 06:16 PM
StallionCorvette
Racer

Originally Posted by Redline Motorsports
Well we most certainly can appreciate a customer doing his homework! The budget number we provided is pretty close and was hopefully close enough to see if we are in your range.

Be assured we are the only LS based shop in South FLA that actually builds all our engines in house. This said we take a lot of pride in ensuring that all aspects of the build are done properly. We also only use top shelf parts and when we say the engine has those parts....it has those parts. Much of the quote is related to labor. Removing the engine, disassemble and inspect, machine work, reassembly, reinstall and calibration.

Also understand when we are doing an "overhaul" vs a new complete engine build, there are items that may need to be replaced due to wear that we don't know until the engine is removed and inspected. The ball park you where given often has a misc line for these items.

If you are serious about this build I suggest you make some time to visit our facility and allow us to walk you through the build process as well as show you the parts we have allocated for this build.

We look forward to an opportunity to work with you.

HT

Hi Howard,

I spoke briefly with Rich about the forge internals and the whole set up. I will be at your shop hopefully by mid next week to go thru some other parts i need to set up with you guys. I most def want to do the job with you guys ! your shop speaks for it self, great atmosphere and very knowledgeable , clean, organize and superb customer service

I will stop by and chat a bit with you, i am sure you can point me on the right direction, hopefully we can come with a good plan and price

I will keep doing research meanwhile so when the time comes to talk to Howard at Redline i will have a better understanding of what to expect and/or do.

For the rest of you guys that read this, Howard and their team @ Redline Motorsport kept my car at their shop for over a month and a half while the stupid insurance claim would go thru even took care of my car when hurricane Irma striked here in South Florida, never a peep from then always happy to answer all my calls and questions.:thumb s:
Old 12-16-2017, 10:16 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

I wouldn't touch it. With that blower, a stock ls2 will take about all it can give all day long.
Old 12-16-2017, 11:24 PM
StallionCorvette
Racer

Originally Posted by Unreal
I wouldn't touch it. With that blower, a stock ls2 will take about all it can give all day long.
Care to elaborate?
I'm not being a smarta$$ i truly would like to know.

Old 12-16-2017, 11:44 PM
Redline Motorsports
Melting Slicks

Received 124 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by StallionCorvette
Hi Howard,

I spoke briefly with Rich about the forge internals and the whole set up. I will be at your shop hopefully by mid next week to go thru some other parts i need to set up with you guys. I most def want to do the job with you guys ! your shop speaks for it self, great atmosphere and very knowledgeable , clean, organize and superb customer service

I will stop by and chat a bit with you, i am sure you can point me on the right direction, hopefully we can come with a good plan and price

I will keep doing research meanwhile so when the time comes to talk to Howard at Redline i will have a better understanding of what to expect and/or do.

For the rest of you guys that read this, Howard and their team @ Redline Motorsport kept my car at their shop for over a month and a half while the stupid insurance claim would go thru even took care of my car when hurricane Irma striked here in South Florida, never a peep from then always happy to answer all my calls and questions.:thumb s:
As mentioned; being able to walk you through what goes into the builds will give you a better perspective of what really needs to be done to build a solid engine. Just give is a heads up as next week is a busy makeup week for us.

Thank You

HT
StallionCorvette (12-22-2017)
Old 12-17-2017, 09:59 AM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

Stock ls2 will be happy at 650-700rwhp all day long with a good tune and fuel. Enjoy it indefinately, beat on it, have fun. I wouldn't spend a dime until something breaks, which could be 10 years down the line. Now if you were swapping blowers, going for 850+rwhp, and that, then building a motor is a good idea, but for a nice fun maggie setup, just enjoy it.
The following 3 users liked this post by Unreal:
FourG63 97GST (01-09-2018), StallionCorvette (12-18-2017), winters97gt (12-25-2017)
Old 12-19-2017, 08:51 AM
slow goat
Burning Brakes

Received 50 Likes on 40 Posts

I paid around $5500 for a new 416 LS3 with forged internals and a custom built billet cam. I am doing the labor myself. Just to give you an idea.
Old 12-19-2017, 09:33 AM
schpenxel
Race Director

Received 1,194 Likes on 1,053 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Stock LS2 has survived fine for me, ECS 1500 blower, 3.25" pulley, E85/meth help I'm sure but other than head gaskets it's still going. Something like 50K since the blower went on and getting close to 200K total. 14psi and I've ran quite a bit of timing through and 1/2 mile pulls.. it's still going just fine.

Unreal has a valid point IMO

If mine ever goes I'm throwing a cheap *** truck block in it or something, no point in spending $5K+ on a forged engine for this level of power anymore.

Last edited by schpenxel; 12-19-2017 at 10:45 AM.
Old 12-19-2017, 10:43 AM
old motorhead
Le Mans Master

Received 1,339 Likes on 947 Posts

I agree with the guys that recommended keeping the stock long block. Pulley it down with a 3.8" front pulley along with overdriving the rears. You'll have 10 or 11 psi and a whole lot of fun. Very reliable if tuned right. Shouldn't have any belt slip either.

And don't forget that "built" engines fail too. For you power needs, if your engine shoots craps, I'd find a low mile takeout to replace it. For anything under 700rwhp, I'd much rather have a low mile stocker that's never been opened up vs a built motor.

Get notified of new replies

To How much do you or would you pay to get a LS2 forged internals done?

Old 12-22-2017, 10:40 AM
StallionCorvette
Racer

Lots of mixed answers here but yeah i also agree that it might be an "overkill" just for a car that is being used once a week due to the lack of time.

Yet i can not shake the feeling of having a stronger engine...i got the MOD FEVER.

I will start up by adding a meth kit to it and see where i am standing as far of power and drivability comfort...used it for a couple of months and take it from there.

With the meth kit i could gain some nice WHP and cooling effects/detonation etc...
Do you guys think that my clutch will suffice with such mods and power?

Great info and points of views, you gotta love this forum i tell ya'!
Old 12-22-2017, 05:09 PM
C U IN REARVEIW
Le Mans Master

Received 110 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by schpenxel
Stock LS2 has survived fine for me, ECS 1500 blower, 3.25" pulley, E85/meth help I'm sure but other than head gaskets it's still going. Something like 50K since the blower went on and getting close to 200K total. 14psi and I've ran quite a bit of timing through and 1/2 mile pulls.. it's still going just fine.

Unreal has a valid point IMO

If mine ever goes I'm throwing a cheap *** truck block in it or something, no point in spending $5K+ on a forged engine for this level of power anymore.
At what psi did you run into head gasket issues? About to put a 3.4" on my ti-trim

Last edited by C U IN REARVEIW; 12-22-2017 at 05:11 PM.
Old 12-22-2017, 06:56 PM
Chiselchst
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 387 Likes on 286 Posts

Not to thread jack - but is the LS2 more robust than an LS3?

Originally Posted by Unreal

Quick Reply: How much do you or would you pay to get a LS2 forged internals done?