C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reservoir before scavenge pump necessity

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2017, 02:03 PM
kunta0908
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Reservoir before scavenge pump necessity

Right now I'm running a front mount turbo setup with a short drain off the turbo (basically a 10an union connection) to a horizontally mounted catch can with a side mounted 10an fitting running a short line to my scavenge pump that pumps back to the oil pan.

Is it absolutely necessary to run that reservoir? Id much rather just run a straight line with a check valve to the pump, but from the limited info ive been able to research, everything points me to believing a reservoir is necessary to de-aerate the oil before it gets sent to the pan.

Anyone able to clarify?
Old 11-19-2017, 11:24 AM
EnviedC6
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

The reason you want a reservoir is to not run the gear driven oil pump dry. If it was a diaphragm pump, it wouldn't matter. But I am pretty sure almost all of the big name scavenge pumps are gear driven for performance and durability. One thing to think about, too.. If you can, add a level switch of some sort and have it drive a relay to only turn on when the level is made. This would prevent the pump from running dry.
Old 11-19-2017, 06:15 PM
stevieturbo
Melting Slicks

Received 140 Likes on 125 Posts

No it is not necessary.

And the right gear pump will run quite fine dry...even though it should never be dry because it is always moving oil.

But if the current setup is working well....why fix it ?

Get notified of new replies

To Reservoir before scavenge pump necessity

Quick Reply: Reservoir before scavenge pump necessity