C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

e-Force noise and hood won't fit?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2018, 01:13 AM
mikecronis
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Default e-Force noise and hood won't fit?

I'm having an official Edelbrock certified installer put in a Stage 1 into my Grand Sport M6 LS3 Corvette (dry sump). He's about 200 miles north of me and has been working on it for 2 weeks. He emailed me today and said he's done installing it.

He states that there's a squealing and it's a "tight fit" and rubbing against the headliner. Is this normal? Do I have to cut the headliner? I thought the Stage-1 #1574 would be a direct fit? Installer doesn't know how to proceed but is now driving it around to test it out all week (!?)

I've read that noise can be transmitted into the cabin if it's touching anything.

I asked him to check to see if there's a gap between the blower and the firewall and to remove the headliner to see if the noise stops and ALSO to contact the Edelbrock Tech Support.

Recommendations?
Old 01-31-2018, 03:21 AM
mikecronis
Racer

Edelbrock recommended checking the stock balancer. It was fine before installation (10k miles on the engine) but perhaps the added load is affecting it?
Old 01-31-2018, 07:27 AM
CI GS
Le Mans Master

Received 1,110 Likes on 780 Posts

I believe that the E-force kit comes with the LPE subframe spacer kit, which will lower the engine cradle and give you 1/4” of hood clearance. If it does and he hasn’t installed those, that may be the problem. You could also install the Hinson 3/8” lower engine mounts, to get extra hood/cowl clearance.
The squealing is another thing... He’s driving it around for a week, you say? Maybe the squealing is coming from the rear tires??
Old 01-31-2018, 07:47 AM
mikecronis
Racer

Originally Posted by CI GS
I believe that the E-force kit comes with the LPE subframe spacer kit, which will lower the engine cradle and give you 1/4” of hood clearance. If it does and he hasn’t installed those, that may be the problem. You could also install the Hinson 3/8” lower engine mounts, to get extra hood/cowl clearance.
The squealing is another thing... He’s driving it around for a week, you say? Maybe the squealing is coming from the rear tires??
According to the #1574 kit by Edelbrock, there are no spacers for the LS3 Grand Sport kit. LPE is Lingenfelter, isn't it?
Old 01-31-2018, 08:18 AM
Motorhead-47
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 57 Likes on 29 Posts

Default Noise

Without standing in front of the car all I can do is guess. My first guess is that you have a vacuum leak between the head/s and supercharger. If all 8 of those gaskets are not properly seated (i.e. your “mechanic” rolled one when installing the manifold) your car will run poorly, have a squeal from the leak and this could also account for your clearance concern. If he did not keep all hoses and wires clear, he could also have trapped one between the manifold and heads.

Just my guess

Oh...and driving it won’t make it magically fix itself. Your mechanic needs to go QC his workmanship and conduct some basic diagnostics to find the source of the squeal.
Old 01-31-2018, 08:29 AM
mikecronis
Racer

Hm. I was told the car was running very well. He's attempting a dyno soon I think. I recommended he contact Edelbrock Tech Support, however. He's had the car for 3 weeks and he's supposedly an authorized Edelbrock e-Force installer, only 1 of 2 in Colorado. I'll keep the rolled-seal vacuum leak in-mind.

I figure it could be a few things.

1. Touching the firewall? There's spacers for that by Edelbrock for the LS3 C6.
2. Squeal stops when hood is opened? There's engine lowering spacers for that by Edelbrock per-request for the LS3 C6.
3. Squeal ongoing when hood is opened? Vacuum leak due to install of manifold. Needs to be re-seated and re-gasket'ted.
4. Pinched wire or hose causing elevation of unit during install.

The spacers are not in the instructions and were a problem in the LS2 C6 Corvettes. Edelbrock only has this problem occasionally for some reason.
Old 01-31-2018, 08:39 AM
Motorhead-47
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

It takes about 12 hours to install one solo taking one’s ttime to do it right.
Old 01-31-2018, 08:42 AM
Motorhead-47
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Oh and I would never dyno a car with a known but undiagnosed problem.
Old 01-31-2018, 09:20 AM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

Sounds like installer doesn't know what they are doing. E-force install is a day max. 2 weeks to install it is crazy.
Old 02-01-2018, 06:56 AM
petsur
Burning Brakes

Received 72 Likes on 43 Posts

What shop is doing the work?
Old 02-02-2018, 05:09 AM
mikecronis
Racer

Originally Posted by petsur
What shop is doing the work?
5250 Performance in Longmont, north of Denver. They're an "authorized" Edelbrock deaership/installer supposedly.

They said the sound "went away on its own" and have put about 100 miles on the car so far.

They were supposed to measure the front-end height sag and said it hadn't sagged and then I told them my measurement and then lifted the front as I had suggested.

They're now having a problem with the ECU, if I can quote...

"I'm not happy with some of the data I'm getting from the ECU, so I've got a call into Edelbrock to see if they need to tweak the tune a little bit. It's always phone tag with them trying to get things done, so I'm not sure if we'll be able to get it back to you this weekend. " so I'm guessing they have a data-logger installed as they're putting miles on the car.

They've had the car since 13 Jan. I'm pretty stressed-out.

I think there's an Edelbrock software update for the tuner but I have no idea if they pre-loaded it but I recommended they check. I'm surprised Edelbrock is taking so long working with them?

Last edited by mikecronis; 02-02-2018 at 05:11 AM.
Old 02-02-2018, 08:42 AM
CI GS
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by mikecronis
5250 Performance in Longmont, north of Denver. They're an "authorized" Edelbrock deaership/installer supposedly.

They said the sound "went away on its own" and have put about 100 miles on the car so far.

They were supposed to measure the front-end height sag and said it hadn't sagged and then I told them my measurement and then lifted the front as I had suggested.

They're now having a problem with the ECU, if I can quote...

"I'm not happy with some of the data I'm getting from the ECU, so I've got a call into Edelbrock to see if they need to tweak the tune a little bit. It's always phone tag with them trying to get things done, so I'm not sure if we'll be able to get it back to you this weekend. " so I'm guessing they have a data-logger installed as they're putting miles on the car.

They've had the car since 13 Jan. I'm pretty stressed-out.

I think there's an Edelbrock software update for the tuner but I have no idea if they pre-loaded it but I recommended they check. I'm surprised Edelbrock is taking so long working with them?
I would have to call BS on this. Sounds like they’re taking you for a ride man, or at least taking your car for fun rides.
Ask them what type of scanner they’re logging data with and exactly what data they “don’t like the looks of”. What would they need to call Edelbrock about? What could be so disconcerting and difficult for them to understand that they would have to call Edelbrock about it? And, if it’s so critical, how did they manage to drive the car around until the squeal went away? That, in and of itself, sounds like BS.
At the very least, I hope they’re not charging you for all this extra time they’re logging on what is a simple straightforward blower install that countless others have done in their own garage. This why I don’t own a Porsche, Ferrari, etc. because if I can’t work on it myself, I don’t want it.
Sorry to say man, but I think they’re FOS, and I hope they haven’t Fukien your car up. I would go and take the car back ASAP. And I wouldn’t even tell them I’m coming.
Old 02-02-2018, 09:11 AM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

They are feeding you BS. If they mess with the tune there goes any warranty if you are paying for that.

While the out of the box tune isn't ideal for max power, it drives fine and has zero issues. They messed something up on the install.
The following users liked this post:
mikecronis (02-02-2018)
Old 02-02-2018, 09:49 AM
russ472
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 197 Likes on 161 Posts

^^^
or the car isnt even done because they are putting it on the back burner to take in more gravy work.
mikecronis (02-02-2018)
Old 02-02-2018, 10:22 AM
petsur
Burning Brakes

Received 72 Likes on 43 Posts

They didn't do a cam as well did they? I had a bad grind from Comp that was noisy, sounded like blower whine. They made it right.
Old 02-12-2018, 10:47 AM
mikecronis
Racer

Originally Posted by petsur
They didn't do a cam as well did they? I had a bad grind from Comp that was noisy, sounded like blower whine. They made it right.
Got the car back. Charged me for a ride-height adjustment for the front-end sag. When I measured it after delivery and they took off, I'm at 4.5" instead of 4.75". Not sure if they did any adjustment at all. They also lied about the dyno. When I got the print-out, I was at 376hp stock, they had said 380.

What is the normal sag of an e-Force? I'd expect it unadjusted to be around 4". I'm hoping they made any adjustment, even a small one I hope.
Old 02-12-2018, 12:48 PM
NJ_phil
Burning Brakes

Received 50 Likes on 48 Posts

Just for giggles, what did they charge you for the "ride height adjustment"?

Get notified of new replies

To e-Force noise and hood won't fit?

Old 02-12-2018, 04:20 PM
mikecronis
Racer

Originally Posted by NJ_phil
Just for giggles, what did they charge you for the "ride height adjustment"?
$55 bucks. I think it's a modest adjustment, but I'll have to buy Bridjit Curb Ramps for my driveway now.

http://www.bridjit.com/
Old 02-12-2018, 04:39 PM
NJ_phil
Burning Brakes

Received 50 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by mikecronis
$55 bucks. I think it's a modest adjustment, but I'll have to buy Bridjit Curb Ramps for my driveway now.

http://www.bridjit.com/
My suggestion is to find someone else to work on your car. There are 10mm jacking screws you can turn to lower or raise the car and it takes 2 minutes to adjust them. They're easier to turn when the weight is off the wheel so raising the car from the side until the wheel is off the ground and spraying a little WD40 on the rubber pad that contacts the leaf spring will make it easier.

If I read this thread properly, your concerned the additional weight of the blower would drop the front end too much? That's debatable but what isn't debatable is this guy having the ***** to charge you $55 for a trivial adjustment which probably wasn't even done since it's not needed....all this after you paid him a lot of money already and it took him 3 weeks to do a 2 day job.

Just put it all behind you and enjoy it.

Just MHO
mikecronis (02-14-2018)
Old 02-12-2018, 06:46 PM
CI GS
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by NJ_phil
My suggestion is to find someone else to work on your car. There are 10mm jacking screws you can turn to lower or raise the car and it takes 2 minutes to adjust them. They're easier to turn when the weight is off the wheel so raising the car from the side until the wheel is off the ground and spraying a little WD40 on the rubber pad that contacts the leaf spring will make it easier.

If I read this thread properly, your concerned the additional weight of the blower would drop the front end too much? That's debatable but what isn't debatable is this guy having the ***** to charge you $55 for a trivial adjustment which probably wasn't even done since it's not needed....all this after you paid him a lot of money already and it took him 3 weeks to do a 2 day job.

Just put it all behind you and enjoy it.

Just MHO
mikecronis (02-14-2018)

Quick Reply: e-Force noise and hood won't fit?