C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Turbo C6 Driveway build

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2018, 04:23 PM
kunta0908
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Turbo C6 Driveway build

Finally getting my car running pretty smooth. Headed to the Dyno on Thursday to see what it can do with some real tuning. Decided to post something up here to catalog some of my work. Didn't take too many pictures of the actual work in progress, really only broke out the camera when things went wrong, Lol.

Started out with a higher mileage 2006 LS2 Base model 6speed. Base of the base cars at that. No HUD or any other fun stuff you could think of. Got a good deal on the car so I hit the button. At that time, it was a cam only LS2, MS4 cam with supporting valvetrain and Texas Speed Headers to a SLP Loudmouth system. I added a Vararam and ran it like that for the next year while getting my bearings with HP Tuners and an Innovate wideband. Car ran well enough to not think about drastically changing the setup. That is, until last Spring when I started to lose oil pressure, idling at a good ol' 5lbs. At that point I parked the car and started looking for a short block, not really knowing what I wanted to get into with it. After a bit, I decided I wanted FI, and found a great deal on a low mile LY6. Pulled the old motor in readiness for the LY6.

Got it delivered and torn apart to clean up. Not really knowing what I was doing, and basically going off of stuff I read on various forums, decided to pull the pan and pull the pistons to gap the rings and replace the main bearings. Also pulled the VVT system out and replaced the oil pump and front essentials with new. BTR Stage II turbo cam went in. Stole what I needed from the old shortblock and sold it to recoup some money already spent. Finished up the block with LS9 head gaskets and ARP head studs. At that point, I decided it'd be worth it to pin the crank at that point as well.

Around this time, I found a forum member selling off his CXRacing single turbo kit and I jumped on it. Might as well dive in head first...

Install was pretty straight forward. Everything had already been installed previously, so with a few questions to original owner, I got it installed.

The APS dual feed pump kit included with the turbo kit was a bit trickier. Out of the entire install, dropping the fuel tank scared me the most.

No real pictures of the install, my hands are still scarred from that ordeal.

Decided to leave the a/c compressor on as to reinstall the condensor at a future date. From there, downpipe was welded up and attached and the car started coming back together piece by piece. Turbo and wastegates installed, fuel rails on and ID1050x injectors put in. Finally the car was finished and I threw a 2bar OS in it and adjusted a few things to get it started on an OLSD tune. Various pieces came together in the days after that to get the car to the point of driving down the road and making boost.

From there, things slowed down. Issues arising here and there. Cooling was a huge issue during the Houston summer. Added an external oil cooler to the driverside fog light area. Helped a bit. Underhood heat seemed to be troublesome as well. Was looking into fixing that when I actually started a fire under the hood from a melted coil bracket (the plastic wiring shroud on the back of the metal bracket melted onto the valve cover and ignited). Was able to get it out quickly, but scared the **** out of me. Damage was minimal. Plug wires and a couple injector clips needed replaced.

So there was a cheap an easy option as to go about fixing the problem and not letting it reoccur, but as i said, head first..

Ended up relocating coils to the fenders, moving battery to rear cubby, Mighty Mouse catch can, Hi Ram intake, smoothed valve covers, e85 flex fuel sensor, and a complete rewrap of the exposed wiring harness (after resoldering in new injector plugs and fixing damage from the fire). For everyone terrified of cutting a hole in the hood, just hold your breath and lay that 4" cutoff wheel into the hood and go with it. At that point it wasnt an option not to do it. So even if the cuts look terrible (which the cowling i cut up absolutely looks bad), I know that I can fix it or replace it in the future. Had to remove the passenger wiper to get the intake to fit. All in all, im happy with it.

Aside from that, I had issues with the front nearly sitting on the tires, I went ahead and threw z06 shocks all the way around, if anything, to replace the 115k mile base shocks I had been riding on. Also traded out the base front leaf spring for a ZR1 leaf spring by recommendation by others on the forum. That lifted the front end up high enough that I actually had a little room to play with the adjustment bolts to get it where I wanted. I also made a mounting plate for the Eboost2 boost controller in the center console vent to replace the manual controller i was using. I have a Dallas performance boost by gear bracket, but will wait till I get it tuned and dyno'd before worrying about maximizing power in each gear. As of right now, on e70 and 17 degrees of timing @ 15lbs of boost, my 17" M&H drag radials cant keep traction on 80mph 4th gear pulls. So I think its making a bit of power. Hopefully it translates well on the dyno.

That about sums it up. Lots of small stuff left out. Especially my mistakes and screwups. Like I said, im no professional, but as the build progresses, I am constantly trying to go back and fix the little things I may have screwed up the first time around. Still a lot of things on my list to do. I am sure I will be replacing the stock rear end very soon.

Thanks for reading!
The following 2 users liked this post by kunta0908:
bothred (02-06-2018), QuickSilverC6 (03-08-2018)
Old 02-06-2018, 06:48 PM
06orangeZ51
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Badass, man... Kudos to you for doing the build yourself-in the driveway even! Look forward to seeing a video and dyno #'s. Is this just a toy or something you plan on competing with?
Old 02-06-2018, 07:35 PM
kunta0908
Instructor

Thanks. More impressive I think, is the build in the middle of a Houston summer... I lost a lot weight. Lol

This is just a toy. Not too serious with it at this point. Current tune and how it's running has it as a daily driver for me actually. Giving my CTS-V a chance to rest for awhile.
Old 02-06-2018, 08:54 PM
Turbo2L
Drifting

Received 110 Likes on 92 Posts

How'd she do power wise? Great job on the build.
Old 02-06-2018, 09:33 PM
kunta0908
Instructor

Originally Posted by Turbo2L
How'd she do power wise? Great job on the build.
I will find out on Thursday.

Running my old 243 heads on this block, so compression is higher than a stock LY6. That limits my timing on boost.

Hoping it doesn't disappoint. It is a monster on the highway as it sits...

Last edited by kunta0908; 02-06-2018 at 09:33 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Turbo2L (02-06-2018)
Old 02-07-2018, 09:34 AM
irok
Safety Car

Received 500 Likes on 443 Posts

Originally Posted by kunta0908
I will find out on Thursday.

Running my old 243 heads on this block, so compression is higher than a stock LY6. That limits my timing on boost.

Hoping it doesn't disappoint. It is a monster on the highway as it sits...
good on you getting it done in driveway and the heat.heat must have been above torture level!!!!will be interesting to see how it does power wise.gl with it

Last edited by irok; 02-07-2018 at 09:35 AM.
Old 02-07-2018, 10:56 AM
schpenxel
Race Director

Received 1,194 Likes on 1,053 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Sub’d
Old 02-07-2018, 12:12 PM
GaragedLS2
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Awesome! Hope she does what you want her to on the Dyno. Definitely keep us posted.
Old 02-07-2018, 05:11 PM
jayyyw
Le Mans Master

Received 897 Likes on 686 Posts

Awesome build. Houston has an amazing race scene. Would love to see your car on video doing work someday.
Old 02-08-2018, 09:20 AM
MTBSully
Melting Slicks

Received 649 Likes on 328 Posts

Awesome build. Sometimes I wish I had a high mileage base car i could tear into instead of my low mileage z06 i dont want to cut up.

What valve covers are those? They look stock but smooth with no coil mounts. They look great!
Old 02-08-2018, 04:10 PM
kunta0908
Instructor

Old 02-08-2018, 06:30 PM
Turbo2L
Drifting

Congratulations! That thing is going to scream - literally and figuratively. lol
The following users liked this post:
kunta0908 (02-10-2018)
Old 02-08-2018, 10:18 PM
kunta0908
Instructor

Old 02-08-2018, 11:11 PM
S400z06
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Awesome build! Please fix the fuel line connection from the factory fuel feed line the the AFPR. Love the car!
Old 02-09-2018, 08:25 AM
kunta0908
Instructor

Originally Posted by S400z06
Awesome build! Please fix the fuel line connection from the factory fuel feed line the the AFPR. Love the car!
That connection?

Waiting on a Summit order with an AN type push fitting like I have on the flex fuel sensor right now.
Old 02-09-2018, 09:25 AM
schpenxel
Race Director

Received 1,194 Likes on 1,053 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Looks like that will be a ton of fun

I'd probably hold off driving it much until you get that new fitting
Old 02-09-2018, 06:54 PM
kunta0908
Instructor

Originally Posted by schpenxel
Looks like that will be a ton of fun

I'd probably hold off driving it much until you get that new fitting
How much pressure does a return line actually see? No doubt on my plans to replace that fitting. Just wondering what kind of pressures it sees.

Get notified of new replies

To Turbo C6 Driveway build

Old 02-09-2018, 07:33 PM
Turbo2L
Drifting

Originally Posted by kunta0908
How much pressure does a return line actually see? No doubt on my plans to replace that fitting. Just wondering what kind of pressures it sees.
Just enough to torch a car with a hot engine bay and a leak. I've seen it happen a few times. Get that bad boy swapped out and go hammer the competition around you area.

Great job. This makes me want a single turbo car in a bad way.
Old 02-09-2018, 07:52 PM
junk c5
Burning Brakes

Received 60 Likes on 57 Posts

Nice build. Report back with an ET after you get to the track..
Old 02-10-2018, 12:02 PM
Sergio7
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Sergio from facebook! Finally got time to reply to this thread!

Quick Reply: Turbo C6 Driveway build