C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

900WHP E85 Fuel System Build on a Budget

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2018, 12:58 PM
Irocz2173
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Default 900WHP E85 Fuel System Build on a Budget

About a month ago i started the process of adding an E85 capable fuel system to my 2010 Z06 with an ECS 1500 kit and forged LS7. I decided to order the diy racetronix 680 lph dual pump kit because it was the most cost effective dual pump setup on the market today with plug and play wiring. I was told by racetronix this setup will easily support 900rwhp on e85 and it fits in the stock basket.
http://www.racetronix.biz/customkiti...DIYDPK-C56&eq=

After that i ordered a large variety of -8 and -6 AN fittings as well as PTFE line. Flex fuel sensor (on return side) and regulator (mounted on factory rail) will fit under the factory engine cover. Fuel lab filter with 6 micron element will be mounted near the tank on the drivers side frame rail and i planned on putting a check valve . All wiring and lines will run down the rocker panel as others have successfully done.

Now for the item that i think will get the most attention on this forum, I installed a set of Bosch 210lb/hr injectors which were originally intended for CNG applications. I decided to go this route because of the cost ($480/8 with adapter pigtails) and the fact that they are factory injectors. These have been used on multiple "sloppy" LS builds in the last year. My real world experience with these injectors also included a friend that made 932whp with 60% duty cycle on a SBE lq4 in a 2000 trans am that has better street manners than my vette. We plan to run around 43 psi fuel pressure at idle and my regulator will increase pressure 1:1 with boost.

Now that you know my plan, I can share my experience so far. As everyone has described, pulling the tanks out is a royal pain in the ***. I decided to leave the trans in the car and i was working on the ground in my garage. After 3 nights i was able to remove the drivers side tank but the tab broke on the small internal tank tubes. After that the passenger side was fairly easy. My suggestion to anyone trying this is to buy a good set of pry bars and have a friend hold the crossover away while you separate the inner tubes with a screwdriver. you may need to use a block of wood to get enough leverage.

With the tanks out i started installing the blockoff plug in the passenger tank. This was very straightforward and required if you want to run less than 52psi of fuel pressure.

I then focused on pulling the driver side basket out to get ready for the dual pump setup. After dissecting the factory basket i have a few questions:
1. Has anyone eliminated the factory regulator by capping the line that runs to it instead of installing the $25 plug?
2. Has anyone eliminated the factory fuel filter housing and ran a bulkhead setup similar to the picture below? This would also eliminate the need for a cap on the factory regulator line.

For those that are looking for a similar setup i have a parts list that totals $1376 including injectors. I have not finished the build so i cant provide dyno results because i am still waiting for the fuel pumps from racetronix (33 days and counting). I am confident that this will be the most cost effective complete fuel system solution for our cars to support 900whp on E85.
Old 03-06-2018, 06:54 PM
Midnightc6
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I was just going to ask the same question earlier today about a good e85 system to support those numbers myself. I’m doing the same build with a ecs 1500 myself. I’ll be following this
Old 03-07-2018, 05:22 AM
Ant-Man
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

Hey man I kind of did this last summer, did some research and after buying a UPP fuel kit decided to upgrade everything.

So I haven't done it but as far as the regulator goes you can literally cap it off by installing a check valve on the stock fuel like and running your own aux feed/return.

One thing I would recommend that I didn't do would be to get the ECS bulkhead fitting, it's a bolt-in bulkhead where you drill a hole and install a bulkhead that already has fittings for feed and return and it's quite a bit more secure than just tapping the tank directly.

Personally I have my tank tapped for feed which feeds two aem 380 pumps feeding a -8 line to the fuel rain and a -6 return coming off the fuel rail. I'm not running boost referenced so I didn't do a check valve on the stock fuel line but if I want to I'd probably do that. I also have 200lb bosch injectors that were $500 and they're at like 40% dc at WOT.

Here is the listing for the UPP kit, I'd just either do what A&A corvette does and use a Holley 12-1800 Dominator pump and a -8 or -10 feed and -6 return. Plenty for 8-900 on E when used with or without the stock system. If you need more than that I'd go with a manga pump.

I literally spent a month researching this stuff so any questions feel free to ask, I'm just an average joe by no means a pro but my setup works and my tuner says there's fuel enough for 1200+ on E. Total cost for me was around $700-800.
I'm gonna catch hell for everything I just said but I don't really care, it's my car and the **** works.

This is what my setup pretty much looks like:

Last edited by Ant-Man; 03-07-2018 at 05:27 AM.
Old 03-07-2018, 09:36 AM
Irocz2173
Racer

Racetronix shipped my pumps yesterday so i should have them tomorrow. I should be able to get the feed and return lines run this weekend but i have an order for fittings that wont be here for another week or so.

Midnightc6- I will probably have enough fittings to make another setup. Would you be interested in a complete kit if i made one?

Ant-man - Just the two Magna pumps are $900. I don't see any way that your system is only $7-800. I am trying to put together a complete setup for less than $1400 with injectors.
Old 03-07-2018, 11:19 AM
Ant-Man
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Irocz2173
Racetronix shipped my pumps yesterday so i should have them tomorrow. I should be able to get the feed and return lines run this weekend but i have an order for fittings that wont be here for another week or so.

Midnightc6- I will probably have enough fittings to make another setup. Would you be interested in a complete kit if i made one?

Ant-man - Just the two Magna pumps are $900. I don't see any way that your system is only $7-800. I am trying to put together a complete setup for less than $1400 with injectors.
That was a buddy's setup. I did pretty much the same with AEM380s which were like 90$ a piece. Had I stuck to one the fittings and lines would've been a lot cheaper.

I got my fittings and lines from:
https://www.ebay.com/usr/getfast1
https://www.ebay.com/usr/fassterllc

Fasster used to make a Y fitting that hooked directly to the fuel line which is what I used, I used one inlet for the stock line and the other for my aux pump, don't forget to use a check valve on the aux(AEM came with a check valve).
The following users liked this post:
JSracing (04-24-2021)
Old 03-07-2018, 02:55 PM
Midnightc6
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes shoot me a pm
Old 03-19-2018, 12:38 PM
Irocz2173
Racer

I don't know if anyone is interested in this information or not but i made some progress this weekend so i figured i would document it.

I added two bulkheads to the factory fuel module and finalized the fittings i will use to maintain tank transfer functionality.

I also finished up the flex sensor install (minus wiring) under the factory engine cover. The return line will follow the feed line out of the cover and down to the rocker panel.

Old 03-19-2018, 09:21 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

No way in hell I would run the FPR like that. Even with just a line those fittings crack off. The scharder valve will not support the weight of the FPR long term. It will snap off, spray fuel all over, and hopefully not burn your car down. You need to atleast brace it or put a bracket on it.

I've seen way too many of those valves break off.
Old 03-20-2018, 08:22 AM
Irocz2173
Racer

Thanks Unreal for the input. I will make a bracket that secures the regulator to the first intake bolt. I may be able to use the aeromotive bracket with one additional bend actually.

Do you see anything else that needs to be addressed with my setup?
Old 03-20-2018, 09:06 AM
Unreal
Team Owner

I would get rid of the MSD too.
Old 03-20-2018, 10:12 AM
Irocz2173
Racer

Its funny you say that. The previous owner had that installed and i have contemplated selling it since i bought the car. I had an issue with the throttle body gasket blowing out under boost which was supposedly fixed with a spacer from MSD but i still don't trust it. I'm assuming you would recommend a stock LS7 intake.
Old 03-20-2018, 10:21 AM
Unreal
Team Owner

Yep, will be far more reliable. I haven't seen a MSD stay together in a N/A application, let alone with boost. And a boost leak on a FI car can lead to a popped motor easy enough.
Old 03-21-2018, 12:04 PM
Irocz2173
Racer

You share your advice and I listen... MSD intake on its way to the new owner and an LS7 intake should be here by the end of the week. It even left me with enough money to put a Holley Terminator EFI setup on my 1981 vette. Thanks Unreal
Old 03-21-2018, 01:59 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Great choice. I'm tempted to send you a box of cookies for being one of the few people that listens.
The following 2 users liked this post by Unreal:
darknit (04-30-2020), m60gov20 (03-30-2021)
Old 03-21-2018, 02:59 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

Received 1,193 Likes on 1,052 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Mind blown
The following users liked this post:
Detoxx03 (03-23-2018)
Old 03-21-2018, 03:27 PM
~STOLEN~
Melting Slicks

Received 164 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by schpenxel
Mind blown
Old 03-21-2018, 03:52 PM
Irocz2173
Racer

Unreal, you could skip the cookies and send me some LS7 intake bolts if you are feeling generous.

Get notified of new replies

To 900WHP E85 Fuel System Build on a Budget

Old 03-21-2018, 04:00 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

I have them in a bag at home. See if Mordeth wants too, if not I'll find mine this weekend and see what I can do.
Old 03-21-2018, 07:27 PM
Mordeth
Melting Slicks

Received 1,678 Likes on 878 Posts
2018 C6 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '10, '17

I've got the bolts. OEM. No f'ing idea why I have so many manifold bolts laying around. PM me your address and I will ship them out tomorrow.
Old 03-22-2018, 06:31 AM
stevieturbo
Melting Slicks

Received 140 Likes on 125 Posts

Now for the item that i think will get the most attention on this forum, I installed a set of Bosch 210lb/hr injectors which were originally intended for CNG applications. I decided to go this route because of the cost ($480/8 with adapter pigtails) and the fact that they are factory injectors.
Factory for CNG.....but there are many reports of these injectors giving trouble with ethanol as the internals will corrode

Quick Reply: 900WHP E85 Fuel System Build on a Budget